• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Icons: Combat Arena (Smash Melee clone by makers of Project M) Gameplay Trailer

Ploid 3.0

My nephew is going to love this. He already plays some PC game on steam that's like Smash, he watches a lot of smash youtuber videos, so this should be perfect, free to play as well?

Ploid 3.0

PSABR was super fun. It was just... goddamn ugly, so so so ugly.

I played so much PSA, loved it, wish there was a part 2 with a bigger budget and more characters. I wish third parties wasn't so scared of allowing their characters to be in it too. Sony should go all out on part two with what they learned from part 1.

El Sabroso

lol this game straight up copied animation files for sure, will test it for sure but honestly will not support it from there

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
DP motion = invincible uppercut on Ragna, Hyde, Sol Badguy, Ky Kiske, even Gohan in DBZ Fighters, wow Arc System Works is so fucking uninspired who gives money to these frauds

6a59GdR.jpg

d003NwM.png
ukNtMAj.jpg
ScNV1Tp.png
People are talking animations +plus move sets

Space goat bites fox hard as hell

emb

I'd love to be able to play Melee well, but I can't because those in the "meta" have been there since 2001 (or so). It's not a game for newbies.

Then these developers come and, by the looks of the trailer, are making the same game as Melee but just different enough that they can pass it as an original product and avoid copyright issues. The "meta" will be the same. Fox will be Fox, Marth will be Marth... just with a different coat of painting.

If that's the case, then I'll stick to Smash 4. At least I know the characters in there :/
A little off-topic, but I wanna respond to this a little. This seems like a bad excuse to not do something you want to do. Everyone has to start some place. Few have actually played in tournaments that long, a decent portion of the people you'll find still playing have 2-4 years of experience. Plenty of others have more experience, but suck anyway. There's competition to be had, even if you aren't the best.

If you start playing the game, you'll see yourself get to a reasonable level in a year or two. Same as other people starting anything, including Smash 4 a few years ago. You have the advantage entering the game late though, you'll have plenty of experienced players around willing to help you get the basics.

Vena

People need to stop thinking this is the PM team. It's not. It's a few of the group that was the dev crew. One of them is with us at Northwestern he sure as hell isn't working on this game and moved on to school and work with the shutdown of the project.

There is no reason to afford this project anything on the basis of PM. We have no idea what part of talent of PM is working on this.

Wamb0wneD

Upsmash, that's #1

Sex kick doesn't count, I can show you that animation in literally every fighting game on earth

Dropkick doesn't count, same reason

Landing animation (wavedash) doesn't count, same reason (that has a wavedash anyway)

Nothing else really counts

and the freaking down special doesn't count why exactly? "Nothing else really counts", yeah right. Every move that was shown off from that character is 1:1 fox. All of his moveset and animations. Come on. You don't see some other fighting game copy Ryus moveset 1:1.

My nephew is going to love this. He already plays some PC game on steam that's like Smash, he watches a lot of smash youtuber videos, so this should be perfect, free to play as well?

Why not let him play actual smash then?

Acerac

Banned
and the freaking down special doesn't count why exactly? "Nothing else really counts", yeah right. Every move that was shown off from that character is 1:1 fox. All of his moveset and animations. Come on. You don't see some other fighting game copy Ryus moveset 1:1.

Precisely, it's an exact clone, just like Falco is to Fox or Ganon is to Falcon.

Ploid 3.0

Why not let him play actual smash then?

He has PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, and now a gaming PC. He mainly watch fighting competition videos and smash is popular for good videos that you can follow. He never asked for a nintendo console other than Wii that I know of, and never played wii it after the motion stuff died down, same for kinect. He does have Smash on 3DS but he mainly play Overwatch and now he's back to Minecraft (PC).

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm not fan of the name tho but I think they should went with Super Space Bros as a title since most characters' designs seems to be based on space-theme.

Super Space Bros

WillyFive

The art and visuals are super bad, but I'm glad they are making their own game after Project M.

Good name too, wish Sony would have used something like it instead of their abomination of a name that was PSASBR.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Man, they really messed up with the trailer if the stuff they said in the AMA is accurate. Despite a lot of similar moves it sounds like even the Smash clone characters actually have some pretty unique stuff going on that they decided not to show. I guess the priority was to say "hey, this is like MELEE!" and not really show anything new or unique.

Like the girl who is a Falcon clone has almost entirely unique specials, and even her "Falcon Punch" works differently. Kidd also has some entirely different animations for some of his moves and specials (didn't mention whether function/hitboxes were different).

It sounds like they need to follow up the trailer with some more in-depth gameplay demonstrations, because based on the AMA responses it sounds like that would quell a decent amount of the criticism.

My two primary complaints would be the animations and sound effects. Animations in particular are really hit and miss. Some of them are just too quick and subtle, they need to be exaggerated. Kidd's utilt is a good example of this, he's supposed to knock the enemy upwards with his horns but it's so quick and has so little movement it just looks like a quick twitch.

Man, they really messed up with the trailer if the stuff they said in the AMA is accurate. Despite a lot of similar moves it sounds like even the Smash clone characters actually have some pretty unique stuff going on that they decided not to show. I guess the priority was to say "hey, this is like MELEE!" and not really show anything new or unique.

Like the girl who is a Falcon clone has almost entirely unique specials, and even her "Falcon Punch" works differently. Kidd also has some entirely different animations for some of his moves and specials (didn't mention whether function/hitboxes were different).

It sounds like they need to follow up the trailer with some more in-depth gameplay demonstrations, because based on the AMA responses it sounds like that would quell a decent amount of the criticism.

Interesting, I wasn't aware of this. Hopefully they do follow up on that trailer with more gameplay that shows its more unique aspects.

It's clear from this thread that their first trailer didn't have the intended effect,

Perineum

Looked like ass to me. Horrible animation, horrible hit impact, horrible trailer music, horrible character design, horrible art direction... seriously it did nothing for me in the slightest.

This has a LONG way to go, because there has been better low budget/indie/start up shit that is much better in every aspect, and that's for fighting genre too.

Good luck to them. It's a genre I am interested in, but yeah were it me I'd scrap it all and start from scratch.

Also LOL @ using Overwatch logo coloring. Come on man...

Wildo09

Looks decent in my opinion especially for something that's in beta, I'll definitely try it out considering it's free to play.

MrMephistoX

Should be out in a month then since the only non banned stage seems to be final destination. If this isn't taken down for IP infringement the after loss will Shirley kill it: I mean you could easily skin Samus and Marth in and change the color scheme back to Metroid and Donkey Kong.

Mista Koo

Rivals of Aether is one of the games I was thinking about honestly, the entire cast gives me furry OC vibes.
Well any anthropomorphic series is inherently furry. Sonic, StarFox, Donkey Kong, etc. Doesn't say anything about the quality of the designs.

Not really seeing the complaints about the designs, they all have distinctive silhouettes, tell me what I need to know about the character at a glance, while also being quite diverse.
Like...there's not a single muscular woman in Smash bros by my knowledge especially not one of Zarya's size....

Do people just not like the artstyle? Because no one seems to be using any sort of specificity about why the designs are bad.
There is no consistency between them nor a common theme, nor do they look appealing on their own. It being a Melee clone doesn't help at all. Especially when the idea for your not Marth is just a worse Lucina.

I would've either gave it a unifying visual theme to be associated with (e.g. full on space), or just go hard into parody territory.

Dr. Buni

I played so much PSA, loved it, wish there was a part 2 with a bigger budget and more characters. I wish third parties wasn't so scared of allowing their characters to be in it too. Sony should go all out on part two with what they learned from part 1.
Me too. A second game with more iconic SONY and third party characters would be great.

From the top of my head, a few characters I would like:

Wander (Shadow of the Colossus)
Joel & Ellie (The Last of Us)
Harry or Heather Mason (Heather would be more interesting given her background in Silent Hill)
Crash Bandicoot (There are no excuses to not put him in the game now)
Aloy (Horizon Zero Dawn)
Some Soul Sacrifice character?
Maybe the Tearaway character, too

More importantly, gameplay refinements, graphics, UI/HUD and an art style that isn't horrible.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Language is a funny thing, it lets you say things while allowing contradicting possibilities to remain. The only thing funnier is non disclosure agreements. Between getting removed from twitch in multiple steps, having the files taken down (a thing which nobody who has ever worked hard on something wants), and there being an in progress unreleased version of the mod to later surface it should be pretty obvious what was going on. In my region throughout 2014 PM was literally bigger than melee, no one would ever want to throw away such a success only to start over, yet here we are. Given the near universally negative reactions to Icons, I doubt they will ever again reach the success they previously had, and I simply want those thinking that this was their desired choice to know that it was most definitely not.
this is so tinfoil level that I'm not going to be surprised if you think Switch still is doing artificial scarcity.

Jezan

"No! I must kill the clones" he shouted
The internet said "No, Icons. You are the clones"
And then Goat, FD, no items.

That Fox and Marth clones are shameless. Where is Samus? >:C

Rmagnus

Banned
Me too. A second game with more iconic SONY and third party characters would be great.

From the top of my head, a few characters I would like:

Wander (Shadow of the Colossus)
Joel & Ellie (The Last of Us)
Harry or Heather Mason (Heather would be more interesting given her background in Silent Hill)
Crash Bandicoot (There are no excuses to not put him in the game now)
Aloy (Horizon Zero Dawn)
Some Soul Sacrifice character?
Maybe the Tearaway character, too

More importantly, gameplay refinements, graphics, UI/HUD and an art style that isn't horrible.

The contrast in artsyle would make the game look really odd from the characters you picked

Dr. Buni

The contrast in artsyle would make the game look really odd from the characters you picked
That is why the developer pick a specific art style and adapt the characters to it. Just like Nintendo does with Smash Bros, a game with characters like Kirby and Pikachu fighting against characters like Solid Snake, Bayonetta, Samus and anime characters.

Also, PSASBR already looks odd. It looks damn awful because there is no visual identity.

FSLink

Banned
From people that don't play Melee competitively.

Their target audience at this point.

I used to play Melee, Project M, and other games competitively. I am their target audience, but I really don't like how this looks so far. I'm willing to give it another shot but will others? Missing that first impression definitely hurts.

Duderino

One of the problems with making it "on the nose", I can envision, is that what happens when the, in many ways literal, clone comes up against the real title. (On some level, this is also an issue with coming to head with Melee. CRT's are an annoyance but its not like the community hasn't adopted Dolphin for simplicity outside of tournie events. I know we have, and it works well enough to the point where Melee really isn't limited to CRTs, can be played online, and begs the question... why would I play an online Melee clone when I can play Melee?)

Let us say that, in Nintendo's recent stint and insanity of turning everything into competitive esports with absurd skill ceilings (hello Splatoon competitive), Nintendo decides to actually remake Melee or Smash 5 is more a follow up to the core of Melee than it is to Brawl/4 (with Sakurai potentially gone, this may not even be unreasonable). What happens? Icons has no self-identity other than being a derivative of something else without any of the qualities of said something else aside from a combat engine... and we'll have to see just how Melee-like the combat engine is in the end when its actually taken to the same levels as Melee has been.

RoA at least has an identity. But achieving Rival's levels of activity, as far as steam is concerned, would be a non-starter for this project. Rivals at least had an entrance fee to recoup costs. F2P may be the saving grace of this project, or it might just kill it outright.

Melee came out in 2001. That's 16 years. Let that sink in for a minute. It took over a decade for new tittles and mods to come out that pay homage to the game. That's an absurdly long time for a fan of any tittle or genre to go without seeing some kind of spiritual successor or new content in some form that fits their interests.

And that's exactly what I would assume the Icons developers are trying to position the game as, the definitive follow up to Melee. Project M's cancelation has left a void that they could fill that a Melee remake can not. Regarding Smash 5, to overlap with Icons' goals Nintendo would have to make design decisions that would alienate fans of Smash 4 and Brawl. In other words, there's nothing concreate to be concerned about.

Oddly enough, the closer similarities to Melee are what currently seperates this game from the other indie platform fighters. It's also likely the reason it's getting more visibility now.

Pizza

That Marth reskin looks good.

Lyn, Knuckles, Issac and Sami died for this.

Yeah I'm salty af about the way P:M imploded. Literally all the rumors of a good chunk of the leadership lawyering up to make a smash clone and obliterating the rest of the team in the process are true.

Game looks like some people making a smash mod decided they wanted to get paid. I'll keep putting Knuckles and Lyn into my personal P:M builds despite the entire p:m community still getting hernias about it.

On the upside, /someone/ will like this game, these people will get some cash for their passion project, the P:M code is finally out in the wild and not receiving mod-breaking updates, and the rest of that community keeps doing really really really cool stuff with it.

DFnhW8iV0AAF-HS.jpg:small

twitch.tv/wavedashgames

Perhaps they'll respond in some fashion to the reception after the initial trailer, or specifically show differences compared to Melee?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

twitch.tv/wavedashgames

Perhaps they'll respond in some fashion to the reception after the initial trailer, or specifically show differences compared to Melee?

The acknowledged the response to the trailer in the AMA shortly after Evo. I'm guessing they will put a lot of emphasis on some of the more unique stuff during their stream.

I'd guess anyone unhappy with the art or offended by the fact it's designed to be like Melee will be out of luck though.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member

twitch.tv/wavedashgames

Stream's live.

They're playing matches with Raymer (zoning gun guy) and Xana (wrestling ogre lady).

Fancolors

Lack of polish aside, game looked alright on the stream.

I'm optimistic about the final product, despite not seeing enough differences to drop Melee in favor of this.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It's really hard to talk too much about the visuals at this point since it's so clearly incomplete. Lighting is obviously unfinished and there aren't any effects.

No l-canceling is a decent decision. Melee wouldn't work without it, but since this game is designed around it not being there it could be fine.

No shield dropping is a bit weird. I get the logic but surely there is some way to distinguish between shield tilt, shield drop, and spot dodge without needing narrow "bands" of analog travel that do different things.

LordKasual

Banned
It's looking rough around the edges, but functional.

My only real criticism is that they really should look into implementing a mechanic into the game to give it its own true identity. Melee was the last Smash game to actually improve upon its core formula, Brawl and Smash 4 have just more or less built itself off either nerfing or removing what Melee added.

It would be wise for them to implement some kind of meter gain or resource that allows them to fully embrace the competitive nature of the game, instead of relying only on what worked in Melee. It's going to artificially limit them.

I personally think Smash would do great with some kind of resource you could use to auto-cancel animations, or initiate some kind of state where you can combo characters regardless of their damage %s to rack up damage.

Things like throw break and counterhit mechanics are also something to look into

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Makes me appreciate the amount of visual and audio feedback that goes into Smash games, if anything. Even Rivals of Aether looks better.

Boss Doggie

I honestly wouldn't mind this being a 1:1 Project M clone if there was just better visuals.

The way the character moves and do hits feel... awkward. It's like a cheaper version of Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion.

I
My only real criticism is that they really should look into implementing a mechanic into the game to give it its own true identity. Melee was the last Smash game to actually improve upon its core formula, Brawl and Smash 4 have just more or less built itself off either nerfing or removing what Melee added.

oh boy, even elsewhere you can feel the melee altruism

Makes me appreciate the amount of visual and audio feedback that goes into Smash games, if anything. Even Rivals of Aether looks better.

Yup.

LordKasual

Banned
oh boy, even elsewhere you can feel the melee altruism

Melee added air dodging, sidestepping, 1 new special per character, 2 new throws per character, a wealth of shield and DI mechanics, and the base for what Brawl and Smash 4 currently use as far as formulas go.

Brawl added tripping (and some physics with items i guess). Smash 4 added footstool and trumping.

The core of the Smash formula has not really changed since 64 > Melee, this isn't really an opinion.

Hell, the majority of the changes from Melee to Brawl were emergent formula tweaks at best, which is the whole reason why Project M was a feasible endeavor in the first place.

Edit:

Actually sorry, brawl added footstool. So Smash 4 pretty much only added ledge trumping, which is basically just a lazy removal for edgehogging.

Brawl added supers (Item based, but they could done differently in a future game)

4 added a bunch of more unique character specific mechanics into the movesets of the newcomers, rather than system wide stuff

Boss Doggie

Melee added air dodging, sidestepping, 1 new special per character, 2 new throws per character, a wealth of shield and DI mechanics, and the base for what Brawl and Smash 4 currently use as far as formulas go.

Brawl added tripping (and some physics with items i guess). Smash 4 added footstool and trumping.

The core of the Smash formula has not really changed since 64 > Melee, this isn't really an opinion.

Hell, the majority of the changes from Melee to Brawl were emergent formula tweaks at best, which is the whole reason why Project M was a feasible endeavor in the first place.

Edit:

Actually sorry, brawl added footstool. So Smash 4 pretty much only added ledge trumping, which is basically just a lazy removal for edgehogging.

That sounds more like an emergent, "base Smash without the constraints of 64". Also what, shield stuff were in 64 too like perfect guard, shield recovery, and shield-out lag.

Anyway, Brawl had real, actual cancels from what I gathered rather than "press guard to cancel". Unlimited air dodging too. And overhauling of clones.

4 started the concept of unique character playstyles rather than following to a formula, although you could argue Brawl has those in shades too.

Also didn't 4 also have an alternate ranged grab holding? And there's rage mechanic (ironically a concept many fighters have yet somehow smash folks like to detest). And actual character alterations of move properties which 64 -> Melee didn't really have.

4 also altered a lot of how item works but of course people wouldn't care about them.

And Melee did take out shit - removed the intros and made the sfx terrible.

Spinluck

I've yet to see an indie Smash clone that didn't have boring and generic character designs and this is once again no exception.

I think that's the appeal of Smash: it uses characters that are already established.

In early stages of the first games development, Sakurai straight up had crash test dummies fighting each other. His plea to use Nintendo charterers was genius.

This game night be fun, but I hope the characters have an ounce of personality. Not looking like it so far though, they literally pasted Marth's moveset onto one of the characters. Then they shamelessly showed that character doing the Ken Combo lmao.

Not even fan service, just straight up going for the Melee clone.

Top Bottom