• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

Enjoying these last few hours before the teacup shatters.

200.gif
G5bar6BKy.gif

Razmos

Well both the review guide and the game itself heavily insist on the importance of subsequent playthroughs, plus by now it has become a well known trademark of Taro's games, so i don't think many will skip them.
I'm sure some reviewers still will though. Reading is hard for some gamers

Really hoping it scores well, for the sake of maintaining my sickening hype levels and hoping it gets more people into the franchise/universe. Looking decent so far!

Damn, another great game?... I only have so much time...

Anyway, liked the demo. Thought it could use an upgrade in image quality though.
Will buy eventually.

Just like Kaine and Emil were treated

From the RPGsite interview:

Taro Yoko: It was interesting... I think what you're referring to there is perhaps the fact that 2B's bottom became such a big topic of discussion on the internet. It was very interesting, because we didn't really think of the character in that way at all - as a sexy character. The way we designed her and the way we think about her within the story is completely different, so it was quite a surprise to see that's what people took from it.

As a niche game, I think that's fine. Any publicity is good publicity for that! We're really happy that people love the characters so much and want to draw pictures of them - we find that great.

Embrace it Taro!

JBwB

I think it's going to score just under 90. Expecting a lot of 8's & 9's with a few 10's.

I'm hoping the PC version is just as good if not better.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My review is good to go. I hate what I wrote but mainly because I'm rusty and find it difficult to pen reviews these days. Embargo drops in 3.5 hours so I guess it'll be up then.

Keasar

If NieR - for many - is a god-tier soundtrack, what happens when another comes in and so soundly trounces the original that you're left thinking 'Damn! Did I just think that other soundtrack was good or did someone come in and basically spider silva the entire music community, elevating the expectations far past what most people can actually perform?' There's underlying emotional response to almost every track and add to that some stellar mixing between diegetic and non-diegetic music during particular pointed scenes, and you have one of the best soundtracks easily, this generation.
9NHqCfC.gif

convo

Y'all be careful of youtube thumbnails spoiling stuff as always. Though i am impressed it took this long to spoil me on the super ultimate secret stuff when i willingly didn't care about spoilers. The game won't bore me even after watching dozens of hours of streams.

convo

This is the hardest thing for me to believe but I keep hearing how the ost is better than the original. No wonder they're charging 60 for the album before the game is even released.

60$ for the soundtrack alone? I guess i can see that with all the variations of songs included.

Synless

I have listened to this OST a few times and I disagree. I don't think the strongest songs on this game's OST are anywhere near the caliber of the first games. Saying this though, that doesn't mean the OST is bad, it is quite good. I was just left disappointed as the shoes the first game wore were going to be hard to fill.

Y'all be careful of youtube thumbnails spoiling stuff as always. Though i am impressed it took this long to spoil me on the super ultimate secret stuff when i willingly didn't care about spoilers. The game won't bore me even after watching dozens of hours of streams.
I took every nier video out of my viewing history.

killatopak

I have listened to this OST a few times and I disagree. I don't think the strongest songs on this game's OST are anywhere near the caliber of the first games. Saying this though, that doesn't mean the OST is bad, it is quite good. I was just left disappointed as the shoes the first game wore were going to be hard to fill.

Maybe listening to it with context to the game would give more impact? I love that about the og ost.

Zhao_Yun

This is the hardest thing for me to believe but I keep hearing how the ost is better than the original. No wonder they're charging 60 for the album before the game is even released.

Where are they charging 60? The OSTs costs 3456 Yen which is around 30$.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Just you guys wait for that E3 boss fight.

Yeah, I'm still finding that hard to believe, though I've deliberately not checked any of it out before getting to play the game (chose to ignore the demo too as I knew I was going to day one anyway). The Nier OST is the only gaming soundtrack I've ever bought on a physical format, bar the retro re-issue vinyl stuff. It's absolutely stunning.

convo

Maybe listening to it with context to the game would give more impact? I love that about the og ost.

I think they did a fine job with incorporating the soundtrack more into what you do. Completing a sidequest always plays a fitting song to walk off to.
The current rips on youtube don't have a worthwhile labeling to distinguish variations.

I avoided looking at any other videos but the ones in my subscriptions as soon as I saw one the day it released in Japan. Luckily it wasn't really that much of a spoiler though. My suggestions are probably a metric bomb of spoilers by now with all the Nier/ Drakengard shit I've been watching.

Keasar

Like killatopak said, I think the OST gets a lot more impact when played at the right time playing the game rather than listening to it directly, that is how I come to love so much of the Platinum soundtracks. Individually on their own the music might be okay or good, but when you associate it with the feeling of the moment (like The Only Thing I Know for Real when fighting Jetstream Sam or It Has To Be This Way against Senator Armstrong and after his amazingly insane speech), shit just gets turned up to 11 and becomes the best tracks ever.

Is that the big crane boss or the big robot lady in a dress with bullet hell stuff?

Probably the big robot lady.

EatChildren

The entire fight is Taro x Platinum x Okabe perfection and I felt like applauding once it was over. Do not spoil it.

Synless

Maybe so, but I can say that before I played the original NieR I gave the OST a listen and it was so damn good it caused me to buy the game. This one from every song that I have heard is not giving me the same feeling. Time will tell come this Tuesday.

Where are they charging 60? The OSTs costs 3456 Yen which is around 30$.

On Amazon uk they've got a cd for Nier automata being dispatched by the Amazon store for under 60 quid. Expected release is late march. Amazon U.K. is questionable with product information so it very well change.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Which outlet has action game prowess? I'm more in it for that part of the game. I'm never sure who I can trust with those.

Top Bottom