• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

Razmos

I think any reviewer that states that the game is too short after only playing the first ending or something along those lines should be completely blacklisted for being idiots

Which outlet has action game prowess? I'm more in it for that part of the game. I'm never sure who I can trust with those.
If your in it for a pure action game, don't be.
It puts being a good nier game first , even if it's at the cost of being a bad action game.

Exentryk

Which outlet has action game prowess? I'm more in it for that part of the game. I'm never sure who I can trust with those.

If you've played the demo, you already know this is one of the best ARPG combat systems ever made.

pTApMDZ.gif

Trickster

If you've played the demo, you already know this is one of the best ARPG combat systems ever made.

This is why I'm buying the game despite having no clue what nier is really about. I just know it will have the high quality platinum action gameplay

Sevyne

Basically anyone who is only going to care about the action may not be satisfied with what they get out of Nier. The action itself is fantastic, but it's a bizzare amalgamation of genres and action isn't always at the frontline of it.

I only hope they stick with it, because it deserves the attention. Everything it does it does fantastically, but it is nothing like what you may expect.

Basically anyone who is only going to care about the action may not be satisfied with what they get out of Nier. The action itself is fantastic, but it's a bizzare amalgamation of genres and action isn't always at the frontline of it.

I only hope they stick with it, because it deserves the attention. Everything it does, it does fantastically, but it is nothing like what you may expect.

I assume you're both saying that the RPG and story elements, ahem, trump the action and that there isn't the kind of flow a character action fan would expect out of a Platinum game, but that the combat itself is still excellent? What about things like gear and levelling?

Sevyne

I assume you're both saying that the RPG and story elements, ahem, trump the action and that there isn't the kind of flow a character action fan would expect out of a Platinum game, but that the combat itself is still excellent? What about things like gear and levelling?

Don't want to go too deep into it since this is a review thread, and pretty much everything in this game would be kind of spoilers to talk about. However, that is kind of what I mean, yeah.

Exentryk

Levelling gear unlocks more movesets. There are pod upgrades that give you more "magic" abilities. Then there are chips that can help make STR+ builds, or Healing builds, Dead Man Walking Builds, etc.

Gbraga

Don't know about you, but the whole emptiness of the world adds to the narrative. It enhanced it for me, as a matter of fact.

I didn't play this one to comment on its world in particular, but I'm actually serious.

Shadow of the Colossus, Dragon's Dogma, even FFXV. I'll take these kinds of worlds over "there's so much to do!" any day.

Zhao_Yun

On Amazon uk they've got a cd for Nier automata being dispatched by the Amazon store for under 60 quid. Expected release is late march. Amazon U.K. is questionable with product information so it very well change.

Imported OSTs are overpriced on local Amazon stores. Just wait until Square Enix adds it to their official store which should be way cheaper. Or just import it directly from Amazon JP/CDJapan, etc.

killatopak

I didn't play this one to comment on its world in particular, but I'm actually serious.

Shadow of the Colossus, Dragon's Dogma, even FFXV. I'll take these kinds of worlds over "there's so much to do!" any day.

Well for me I'd take a reduced number of sidequests in exchange for quests that are of the same level as the main one. Make the sidequest an adventure of and itself.

So it does require some spoilers to talk about properly.
In general boss battles are bad from a gameplay point with two exceptions, they are mostly just there as a narrative device. The game has a few platnium scale fights, but they are just reused ideas and don't feel well implemented compared to bayonetta etc, they are kinda clunky. Your mileage is gonna vary on how exciting these are, depends on if you've played a platnium game before or not.

The other major problem is that the game has a narrative plot point which makes a large majority of the game boring to play.
Spoilers for route B and beyond
you play as 9s for the majority of it. He is not a combat unit, is only allowed to use one weapon and you'll mostly be playing hacking mini games, which is basically a flash game.

I only hope they stick with it, because it deserves the attention. Everything it does it does fantastically, but it is nothing like what you may expect.

this deflates my hype quite a bit.

Gbraga

Well for me I'd take a reduced number of sidequests in exchange for quests that are of the same level as the main one. Make the sidequest an adventure of and itself.

Absolutely! Mass Effect 2 loyalty missions are some of the best sidequests I've played.

Floody

This game has the best combat gifs, makes me wanna play it so much. How hard is most of that stuff to do? I suck immense ass at DMC and Bayo.

Exentryk

The score will probably end up around 60/100. Not shiny enough.

Nier Automata ruined Kingdom Hearts 3 possibility of having the best gameplay in an ARPG

I love Kingdom Hearts and its gameplay is loads of fun. I think with Flowmotion and everything the devs have learnt from all KH games, it can potentially also end up being one of the best ARPG systems.
It's a good time to be an ARPG fan!

I'm seeing mid 80s from the critics. Think it's too out there in certain areas for mainstream media to give it a pass. Will probably be a 10/10 for me at least.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
If your in it for a pure action game, don't be.
It puts being a good nier game first , even if it's at the cost of being a bad action game.
I'm not in it for a pure action game, but for an interesting and well-crafted one if that makes sense. That's usually what P* creates.

pTApMDZ.gif
I haven't, sadly. Waiting for the PC version.

Exentryk

This game has the best combat gifs, makes me wanna play it so much. How hard is most of that stuff to do? I suck immense ass at DMC and Bayo.

Can't answer how hard stuff is in the full game as I'm yet to play it, but there is an easy mode that allows you to auto dodge and auto attack stuff. If you encounter a difficult area, you can switch your difficulty at any time and get through it via easy mode.

If you mean how hard is it execute the combos, well, it'll take some practice, but not overly difficult.

Nice!

Pros:
Polished combat
Great story
Fantastic music

Cons:
Could look better
Doesn't explain itself too well

Rating (out of 10): 9

Does the game clearly state you have to play it multiple times to get different story + endings?
Is that obvious to someone who just picks it up without reading enthusiast press / forums?

killatopak

Does the game clearly state you have to play it multiple times to get different story + endings?
Is that obvious to someone who just picks it up without reading enthusiast press / forums?

The game shows you a message from SE themselves that says the story does not end and they hope you continue to play the game once more.

Top Bottom