• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

LotusHD

Banned
Does the game clearly state you have to play it multiple times to get different story + endings?
Is that obvious to someone who just picks it up without reading enthusiast press / forums?

Yep.

P9DDWn6.png

gngf123

Does the game clearly state you have to play it multiple times to get different story + endings?
Is that obvious to someone who just picks it up without reading enthusiast press / forums?

I've been told by a few people that it does in fact do that at the end credits, yes.

Floody

Can't answer how hard stuff is in the full game as I'm yet to play it, but there is an easy mode that allows you to auto dodge and auto attack stuff. If you encounter a difficult area, you can switch your difficulty at any time and get through it via easy mode.

If you mean how hard is it execute the combos, well, it'll take some practice, but not overly difficult.

Nice!

Thanks for the response. I've just learned there's a demo, so I'll give it a shot, if I like it enough I'll have to change my buying plans.

Usobuko

Banned
NieR stans want the game to sell well so a good metacritic score would be helpful.

But from what I had seen, the demo and pre-launch noise made on this game by virtue of platinum + yoko taro + jrpg + female robots had already exert their selling points.

This will sell decently well and perhaps pave way to more platinum and yoko taro collaboration.

Kthulhu

John said it was still perfectly playable and better than Platinum's other console games performance wise even on base PS4, which makes me confident as i didnt really notice many performance drops from playing those(although to be fair i never played bayonetta on PS3 which is supposedly by far their worst performing game)

You can't get much worse than PS3 bayo 1. I kept dropping combos cuz the frame rate got so bad at points. Going PS3 -> Wii U for Bayo 1 is a massive difference.

I'm not usually obsessed with frame rates, but action games and games that requires precise and fast reactions NEED to be locked at 60.

NieR stans want the game to sell well so a good metacritic score would be helpful.

But from what I had seen, the demo and pre-launch noise made on this game by virtue of platinum + yoko taro + jrpg + female robots had already exert their selling points.

This will sell decently well and perhaps pave way to more platinum and yoko taro collaboration.

Well that's the dream. Hoping we have a yakuza 0 momentum where a lot of new players gave the game a go. Don't know I want another entry depending where automata story goes but Yoko taro gets a better budget from now on.

Usobuko

Banned
Well that's the dream. Hoping we have a yakuza 0 momentum where a lot of new players gave the game a go. Don't know I want another entry depending where automata story goes but Yoko taro gets a better budget from now on.

Yes, I remember the dark days on asking yakuza 5 to be localized and cavia closing.

I'm not a PC only gamer but I think one of the best decisions made is for the game to go to PC platform too. It just means future games would get a bigger budget hopefully.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The review guide came with a glaring note that a single playthrough is not enough to see the game. It's not over on ending A.

You can't get much worse than PS3 bayo 1. I kept dropping combos cuz the frame rate got so bad at points. Going PS3 -> Wii U for Bayo 1 is a massive difference.

I'm not usually obsessed with frame rates, but action games and games that requires precise and fast reactions NEED to be locked at 60.

Bayonetta 2 is no where near a locked 60fps.

addik

Oh my gosh, hold me Nier-gaf, I'm so nervous for this!

IMO, I enjoyed TLG, but if reviewers can forgive the technical hiccups in that game, I'm sure they can let go of Nier not looking like a AAA game. Everything else is aces.

Exentryk

Oh my gosh, hold me Nier-gaf, I'm so nervous for this!

IMO, I enjoyed TLG, but if reviewers can forgive the technical hiccups in that game, I'm sure they can let go of Nier not looking like a AAA game. Everything else is aces.

We have to be strong.

37JQ4Eg.gif

How are Horizon and Nier even remotely comparable lol

Anyway, hoping for it to stay above 90, game seems to deserve it

My guess would be that it's not about the games being similar, more that Gamekult gave a 7 to a game that garnered far higher scores elsewhere so can be seen as a bit more unpredictable critically. Therefore, it'll be interesting to see what they make of Nier A.

My problem with Bayonetta's combat is that the screen can become a clusterfuck of shit, impeding on your ability to focus on specific parts of the action. You get a bunch of garish effects blotting the screen, leaving you to question if what just happened was cool or mere digital puke. Thankfully, NieR: Automata doesn't have this problem from what I've seen.

Yu Narukami

How are Horizon and Nier even remotely comparable lol

Anyway, hoping for it to stay above 90, game seems to deserve it

They aren't. I just wanted to point out how harsh they can be with their reviews. I humbly apologise for not expressing myself correctly as English isn't my first language.

I don't know why I'm really into Metacritic scores now. They have no influence on whether I'm buying this game (already preordered), but with Zelda causing Metacritic to trend on Twitter, I feel Metacritic helps exposure more than some of us think. I really do want this game to do well critically and in terms of sales.

Damn now I'm nervous!

LotusHD

Banned
I don't know why I'm really into Metacritic scores now. They have no influence on whether I'm buying this game (already preordered), but with Zelda causing Metacritic to trend on Twitter, I feel Metacritic helps exposure more than some of us think. I really do want this game to do well critically and in terms of sales.

Damn now I'm nervous!

Basically. Like Nioh for example, its score probably helped it out quite a bit. Also for someone's past works to go from a sub-70 MC to an 80+ one is neat lol

Top Bottom