• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil with action is the best Resident Evil

luulubuu

The moment I did this in RE4 I knew the game was going to be special. The amount of times I replay the game is insane in PS2 days and now on PS4 I have unlocked the handcannon.

hunk_neck_breaker_by_thewellofdukington-d5k7lk6.gif

tumblr_oftp4x4qwR1qjztgpo1_400.gif

OH YEEESSS
residentevil_themercenzsvj.gif

2b8af70642dca04acca856297fcecf5b.gif

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I want RE4 on Switch so bad. RE5 as well to a lesser extent. I'd even be ok with being forced to own another copy of RE6 to have those games.

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
Oh thank god thanks.

Also happy to hear they toned the QTEs down? Some of those like the climbing ones were awful

Yeah, there's a new option they patched into the 360/PS3 ones that are now in all the other editions as well that makes it so you can never have a game over from failing a QTE. It's absolutely essential for enjoying the game, in my opinion. You can still "fail" a QTE and see the alternate animations but you won't have to re-do entire sequences over it anymore. Exactly how the game should've always been, if you ask me.

As for the rest of the game, RE6 grew on me a lot compared to my initial reaction. Playing it in chronological order is also pretty interesting (there's a good list here on GAF somewhere).

pikablu

Ive said it before but i think they should use the revelations series for their action oriented games and use the mainline series for survival horror.

FiveSide

Banned
I want RE4 on Switch so bad. RE5 as well to a lesser extent. I'd even be ok with being forced to own another copy of RE6 to have those games.

RE4's been ported to every major console since the GCN/PS2/Xbox gen and probably will continue to be ported to every major console until the end of human civilization. Including the Switch :p and I bet it'll be happening pretty soon.

Capcom does a lot of boneheaded things, but they're doing the Lord's work when it comes to making RE4 widely available.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
RE4 seems like a certainty
Quit playin games with my heart.

RE4's been ported to every major console since the GCN/PS2/Xbox gen and probably will continue to be ported to every major console until the end of human civilization. Including the Switch :p and I bet it'll be happening pretty soon.

Capcom does a lot of boneheaded things, but they're doing the Lord's work when it comes to making RE4 widely available.
And yet we still don't have RE4 on a portable. 3DS could have got it. We got a shitty Mercenaries game and an original RE instead. Vita could have got it. All we got was a shitty port of Rev2.

I'm not putting my heart on the line until it gets announced. Portable RE4 has always eluded me. I fear it always will.

A fps view in a new placement, like for example a small town that would be awesome, not a small town ala the El Pueblo, I'm talking about a modern maybe mountain little town with some kind of mold problem, that would be nice to see.

Sorry for the weird bump, and not RE or FP, but you should check out The Evil Within 2 if you haven't. It's taking an approach like this with a small open-ended town as the main hub.

kodecraft

Kill.Switch was the direct influence on Gears' gameplay. The director of Kill.Switch even went to work for Epic on GoW1 after leaving Namco (and then on to BioWare to help with the cover system in Mass Effect 1). When Cliffy said Gears was inspired by RE4, I always figured he meant more in atmosphere than actual gameplay mechanics.

Gears plays like Kill.Switch with the camera and grotesque atmosphere of RE4. I just feel like RE4 is slightly over-credited as an inspiration for Gears, just because it's a more well-known game than KS.

Did Kill Switch have over-the-shoulder aiming?

Who wouldn't want to be influenced by such a stellar game in RE4.

Kill Switch inspired cover mechanics and military themes. RE4 everything else.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Fact: Action RE sells the best
Opinion: Action RE is the best

Gbraga

I just played Desperate Escape last night for the first time. For some reason I always assumed it would be a very short level full of reused assets and not even a new enemy. And it was all that, but it was also fucking awesome.

It was really challenging for me on Veteran, surprisingly so, but that just made it better. That final gauntlet is something else, I didn't think I would be able to finish it yesterday, but we ended up beating it, and it felt great. What an adrenaline rush. RE5 is great. Action RE is great.

Josh was really a nothing character in the main campaign, but his fists did some talking in this DLC, and now I'm a fan. Goddamn his melee moves are incredible.

It was the final bit of RE5 content I needed to experience for the first time, and I felt like it would bring some form of closure to me, but it just made me want to play it a few more times.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Gbraga

Lost In Nightmarea is often the applauded RE5 DLC, and for good reason. However, I think Desperate Struggle really caught what was good about RE5's best tense survival-action sequences. It was made past the game's release so they had feedback and used it well.

Also its worth playing twice, there's some randomization including enemy type, positions, items/weapons, etc. For example, the primary 'big enemy' in the first part can either be
the Executioner or the Reaper.

Oh wow, that's pretty cool!

Not sure if I can take Professional, but I'll definitely revisit it even if on Veteran again.

I actually played Desperate Escape for the first time only recently too (played Lost in Nightmares upon release but never played the second DLC until I got the PC version a month back). That final battle definitely is one of the high points of RE5's campaign stuff, honestly. But I can't really get behind Lost in Nightmares aside from neat repeated playthrough stuff - the anchor guys are way too simplistic and the final fight with them drags on too much for its own good.

Gbraga

I actually played Desperate Escape for the first time only recently too (played Lost in Nightmares upon release but never played the second DLC until I got the PC version a month back). That final battle definitely is one of the high points of RE5's campaign stuff, honestly. But I can't really get behind Lost in Nightmares aside from neat repeated playthrough stuff - the anchor guys are way too simplistic and the final fight with them drags on too much for its own good.

I was really disappointed at the Wesker fight at the end. I was expecting something a bit more involved. At some point I started hoping they'd give us one of the bullshit co-op QTE segments, so at least something exciting would happen.

Overall, I definitely don't regret playing it at all, though, and I still recommend it to anyone who may not have played it yet.

BSAA Jill is best Jill.

Top Bottom