• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

donny2112

In DQIX StreetPass, there were infamous King Metal Slime maps getting passed around to really help level up your characters and get through the job system bonuses relatively quickly. Is there anything similar with DQVII's StreetPass or is it back to just finding locations on the map with a higher incidence of Metal Slimes and wandering around there for a while?

Aeana

One thing I'm not liking is the change to MIDI.

I skimmed some gameplay a streamer uploaded and the fantastic orchestral boss theme sounds like shit. Meh, ah well.
It's been shown that you can replace the music if you have a hacked 3DS, if it bothers you that much.

ghibli99

In DQIX StreetPass, there were infamous King Metal Slime maps getting passed around to really help level up your characters and get through the job system bonuses relatively quickly. Is there anything similar with DQVII's StreetPass or is it back to just finding locations on the map with a higher incidence of Metal Slimes and wandering around there for a while?
God, I hope there's something like that. :) Those maps and timers were amazing.

Voror

Have it ordered though never played any game in the series. I do have the DS version of V but just never got to it so that's in the backlog.

Currently my portable game is Trails in the Sky FC which is coming along. Will probably do SC and then the Cold Steel games after. Once that's all taken care of I should be free but would I be better playing V first or this? I know they aren't linked story wise.

Meffer

That was pure chance. The odds of that happening again is slim.

MoonFrog

Hope my copy arrives on time! Other than X, this is the major lacuna in my DQ experience. I've played some 3 but not completed it so that's the next big hole. The rest are done.

Also hope this does well enough to encourage DQXI in the west on 3DS and/or NX (if they share a version). I'm guessing the PS4 version is coming as it seems to exist for that purpose.

SuperSah

Banned
It's been shown that you can replace the music if you have a hacked 3DS, if it bothers you that much.

1) I don't have a hacked 3DS nor do I wish to hack it, and 2) it's just that one track that sounds bad, the rest is pretty good.

It'll probably not actually bother me during usual play. :p

Knurek

Good news: It should be easy to replace the music with ones from the Japanese release. I don't even know if it's strictly a licensing issue because a few orchestrated tracks are present and leftover from the Japanese release. They are likely unused. It definitely isn't a storage issue. In fact, the US music takes a little more space. The MIDI music is streamed music (meaning it's prerecorded).

Better news: It is easy to do just that.
(Provided you have a jailbroken 3DS)

That never happened. The only place you see the lizard is in his concept art, and crawling out of the hole at the very end of the intro, then that's it.

I mentioned the intro, and I just rewatched it. I thought there was a much bigger focus on the lizard, but I guess I was just remembering the camera zooming in on the hero crawling out of the hole as it zooming in on the lizard.

Also he was all over the strategy guide (concept art). I was very confused why he essentially didn't exist in the game after all of that.

Arkeband

Banned
Here's a question- in the original on PS1 I remember there being a weirdly big focus on the main character's random pet lizard, at least early on in the opening cinematic.

What the hell was that about? And is there anything about that in this version?

That never happened. The only place you see the lizard is in his concept art, and crawling out of the hole at the very end of the intro, then that's it.

I found it funny that they repeated this with gusto in DQ8 with the hero's pet hamster.

I found it funny that they repeated this with gusto in DQ8 with the hero's pet hamster.
Munchie da best. And there's definitely a good reason for it to be that way in VIII. But that's a different story for a different time.

I've never done a preloaded game before, when will it unlock to play? Friday at Midnight PST?

Lynx_7

I still can't believe this is actually happening after all those years thinking we would never get VII. Sometimes based Nintendo is based.
Will be joining you guys shortly, this is gonna be my first playthrough of VII so I'm pretty hyped.

Edit: also that is a great OT title but I'm also slightly disappointed we didn't get "8 whole menus of saving goodness" or something similar.

Ydelnae

I did not recall the OG 3DS screen being this small. The last game I played on it was Pokemon AS, I'm used to playing on PS4 and my phone and it's going to be so hard to go back to this.

Is there an option to name your characters with their official names?

Lothar

Banned
Reminder to all newcomers to the series to use the party talk option after talking to each person in the towns. It's not a minor thing. It's likely a big part of what made it such an effort to localize. There a lot of character fleshing out stuff that's only in party chat. If you're not using it all the time, you're not playing DQ right.

What's the deal with the music in this game?

I read on the other page the soundtrack from the Japanese version won't be in this one. Is that true? I was watching gameplay videos of it and it sounded fantastic, it'd be a shame if it didn't make it into this version.

Aeana

I read on the other page the soundtrack from the Japanese version won't be in this one. Is that true? I was watching gameplay videos of it and it sounded fantastic, it'd be a shame if it didn't make it into this version.

Yes, it's true. The western release has the sequenced music from the mobile version. It still sounds quite good, but it's not live music like the Japanese version had.

Basically, the game released on the PS1 with a midi soundtrack. The original japanese 3DS remake used an orchestrated soundtrack. Eventually the 3DS remake was ported to phones in japan, and instead of the orchestral soundtrack, there was a midi soundtrack that was of much higher quality than the PS1 original. This is seemingly due to a licensing issue of some kind.

The US version of the 3DS remake uses the soundtrack from the mobile ports rather than the orchestral soundtrack of the japanese 3DS version. This is likely due to the same licensing issues.

Kinsei

Banned
Is there anything you can permanently miss in this game? I'd like to fully complete it but I don't want to use a guide.

Correct. The Japanese version had an orchestral soundtrack but we're getting a midi soundtrack.

I'm a little disappointed in myself for not entering that contest to win a free game + 3ds another GAF'er held.

I don't have a 3ds nor did I have any intention of buying one At ALL but watching videos and reading reviews, I hyped myself up lol. It reminds me of when I played IX on the DS. LOVED that game, yet, I never really played any of the other DQ games.

Love RPG's but have a hard time playing on home consoles...but on a handheld, I'll get sucked in. This game looks to be something that could entertain me for the rest of the year.

Game looks awesome. Enjoy, everyone!

Is there anything you can permanently miss in this game? I'd like to fully complete it but I don't want to use a guide.

Correct. The Japanese version had an orchestral soundtrack but we're getting a midi soundtrack.

I'm pretty sure there are some things you can miss or just mess up. You get certain choices at some points in the game which you can't really backtrack from. Based on my memory of the original it may happen only once, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Aeana

Nope, there isn't. The original had a couple of problems where it would remove members from your party but they'd keep their inventory and you could get screwed up, but that's not an issue in the remake. Other than that, you can't miss anything important.

Kinsei

Banned
Nope, there isn't. The original had a couple of problems where it would remove members from your party but they'd keep their inventory and you could get screwed up, but that's not an issue in the remake. Other than that, you can't miss anything important.

That's great. Thanks for the answer!

This will be my first DQ game, pretty excited. Heard this game was notoriously long (200+ hours?) but a lot was cut down for the remake, how long is it now? I know I'm not going to beat it in 4 days when SMT IV Apocalypse comes out tho

I'm a little disappointed in myself for not entering that contest to win a free game + 3ds another GAF'er held.

I don't have a 3ds nor did I have any intention of buying one At ALL but watching videos and reading reviews, I hyped myself up lol. It reminds me of when I played IX on the DS. LOVED that game, yet, I never really played any of the other DQ games.

Love RPG's but have a hard time playing on home consoles...but on a handheld, I'll get sucked in. This game looks to be something that could entertain me for the rest of the year.

Game looks awesome. Enjoy, everyone!

I just entered you into the contest. I made an exception here.

TheExodu5

Banned
I need some DQ advice. I own 4-6 and 9 on DS. I've never beaten any of them as I usually feel like the pacing, animations, and random battles really slow things down.

That being said, I have a trip coming up with some long flights...I'm going to be in the air for a good 40 hours or so at least. So I'm looking for a decent turn based RPG to keep me occupied...possibly while watching airplane movies. DQ seems great for this.

So, I'm considering a few options:

1) Picking up DQ7
2) Playing one of my other DQ games
3) Emulating one of my other DQ games on SNES and playing at 2x speed

I'm honestly leaning towards 3 right now, as I feel that it might solve a lot of my pacing issues. But I'm not sure how good the SNES games and translations already compared to the DS remakes.

Any advice?

Did they change the whole situation with
Loomin and how you need to make the right choice to save it
?

That's what I was talking about as the one instance where you might miss something permanently. Perhaps that's not all that important in the grand scheme of things but I was annoyed that I needed to replay the game to get that right.

butman

I can't believe that this game made it to the west.
this-is-beautiful.gif

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Reminder to all newcomers to the series to use the party talk option after talking to each person in the towns. It's not a minor thing. It's likely a big part of what made it such an effort to localize. There a lot of character fleshing out stuff that's only in party chat. If you're not using it all the time, you're not playing DQ right.

And this is why it'll take me ages to complete the game XD I don't have that kind of time anymore XO...

It's shocking how much other games actually took from DQ. Those Tales of skits were probably first inspired by DQ's party talk. I remember Tales of Destiny's skits being removed from the NA version, random thought....

Aeana

Did they change the whole situation with
Loomin and how you need to make the right choice to save it
?

That's what I was talking about as the one instance where you might miss something permanently. Perhaps that's not all that important in the grand scheme of things but I was annoyed that I needed to replay the game to get that right.

No, that's still in the game. But I don't think it counts as a missable per se. That's just a story choice with two outcomes. Granted, there are a couple of items you can't get if you don't do it a certain way, but they're not at all important. Still, I had forgotten about that since I always make a particular choice, so it's good that you brought it up.

I so want to play this game, but I have to find a new job before I can justify it. I hope it is still available then. Is it also available digitally?

butzopower

proud of his butz
Pre-ordered the digital version last night. No idea when I'll have a chance to get to it. Have another 11 hour flight coming up soon, though.

I have this on pre-order, but between still having a ways to go in Cold Steel II and SMT coming out next week, I probably won't really be able to really get into this until October.

But I'm excited that it's finally coming out.

Kensuke

Review copy took me 91 hours, but I'm a completionist. I didn't think the game got good until
Alltrades Abbey
(location, 15 hours in), before that it's kind of a drag. It's too easy, too slow and repeating dungeons is terrible. After that though it's a high quality DQ game. Islands got bigger and more interesting stories and the scale of it all is amazing. The game also gets quite a bit tougher. Only other bummer is that the last few hours are also a drag.

Hope you guys enjoy. It was basically the only game I played for 3 weeks straight.

Aeana

Review copy took me 91 hours, but I'm a completionist. I didn't think the game got good until
Alltrades Abbey
(location, 15 hours in), before that it's kind of a drag. It's too easy, too slow and repeating dungeons is terrible. After that though it's a high quality DQ game. Islands got bigger and more interesting stories and the scale of it all is amazing. The game also gets quite a bit tougher. Only other bummer is that the last few hours are also a drag.

Hope you guys enjoy. It was basically the only game I played for 3 weeks straight.

Probably one of the most heartwrenching stories in the series is before that, though. I'm not sure what it's called in the new translation, but it's the story about
the mech soldiers and the two brothers
. I still tear up just thinking about it.

I so want to play this game, but I have to find a new job before I can justify it. I hope it is still available then. Is it also available digitally?
Yes, this game is currently available for pre-purchase and pre-download digitally for NA systems. No clue on EU, but I can't imagine why they wouldn't release a digital version there.

Pre-ordered the digital version last night. No idea when I'll have a chance to get to it. Have another 11 hour flight coming up soon, though.
You should have been able to pre-download it as well. Do check that while you have a stable internet connection. The connection period required to see if you can play on release day isn't very long at all (I hit it by accident earlier today), so you could probably cheese it by tethering to your phone or going to somewhere with free wifi?

Alltrades Abbey

I feel like every DQ game with Alltrades Abbey (or whatever it's been called previous) has that stuff come too late. A core function like character jobs should come into play much earlier than 15-20 hours in.

I feel like every DQ game with Alltrades Abbey (or whatever it's been called previous) has that stuff come too late. A core function like character jobs should come into play much earlier than 15-20 hours in.

Shrine of Dhama (Dharma?) and yeah I agree. Though I don't recall 7 being all that easy before then. I actually remember quitting the game for a while right before Alltrades Abbey because of one especially hard part
in that same area in the past

But then again that was like 15 years ago and I was much younger.

Kensuke

Probably one of the most heartwrenching stories in the series is before that, though. I'm not sure what it's called in the new translation, but it's the story about
the mech soldiers and the two brothers
. I still tear up just thinking about it.

It's called
Faraday
in the new translation. Yeah, that's a good story.
I like that they keep it subtle and that you have to dig up who the woman was yourself by talking to other NPCs. It's also great that it continues in the present, with the mech still serving its master. I think in terms of sad stories I liked the love story in the gardens more. You get to see that one develop all the way. No happy endings there.

I feel like every DQ game with
Alltrades Abbey
(or whatever it's been called previous) has that stuff come too late. A core function like character jobs should come into play much earlier than 15-20 hours in.

Changing classes was nice, but I feel the story on that island is were it started to get really good. Really long as well, took me about 10 hours to finish it I think.

Top Bottom