• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

AdanVC

Unfortunately, I don't have time to play an extensive RPG such as this one :( but so nice to see the game reviewed pretty damn well, hope it sells loads too! I kinda want to buy it just for Toriyama's art!

Mihos

Gold Member
I need to finish up a couple of Vita games first, but I will still probably go ahead and get it day one.

I want to get through it before Builders and World of FF come out.

Arkeband

Banned
Original DQ7 was really bad when you took breaks. It's such a behemoth that a break is going to happen, and when it does, it's absolutely soul crushing when you came back. This was one of the main things keeping DQ7 from reaching its potential as Best DQ Game (tm). I swear to God the remake is so much better with this. There's a feature where if you get lost or whatever it'll remind what you're supposed to do next and everything. Thank the heavens.

Yeah, that's good stuff. I'm torn on whether I prefer 6 or 7 more - the only thing I legitimately felt let down by with 7 was replacing monster catching with the monster park. The town building involved there could have been something really special, but it ended up just being fluff.

kromeo

I was hoping to have IX finished before the weekend but I'm only at the Hogwarts academy or whatever it's called so guess it;s not going to happen. I'm determined to finish it this time rather than moving on to something else though

Alboreo

I've been dying for this, and I had fully given up hope on it coming over. Dragon Quest is my favorite series by far. I bought two copies on Amazon. Here's hoping it sells well.

JC Lately

Soon as I can get to the store and grab some eshop cards, I'm pre-loading the shit out of this game. Missed it the first time, and could never get a PS1 emulator working right to play it after it went out of print. Hype levels through the roof.

The 4 year wait is finally over.

Amazon says shipping today but I know I'll just be disappointed if I try to convince myself that I might get it tomorrow.

Yea, there were definitely a couple fragments that I just cheat and looked them up. I remember going nuts looking for one and it ended up being under a random corner of a building in a town that the only way to see it was to turn the camera a certain way.

My two copies are still in Not Yet Shipped phase boo

OmegaFax

Good news: It should be easy to replace the music with ones from the Japanese release. I don't even know if it's strictly a licensing issue because a few orchestrated tracks are present and leftover from the Japanese release. They are likely unused. It definitely isn't a storage issue. In fact, the US music takes a little more space. The MIDI music is streamed music (meaning it's prerecorded).

Edit: Flipped that around. The US version takes a little less space. It's roughly a 5 or 6 megabytes of data. I don't think the cartridge could fit both soundtracks. Each one is ~190mb.

JimPanzer

About an hour in, MIDI doesn't bother me really. I've also played the Japanese version and can't really hear a difference unless cued back-to-back.

alf717

Good news: It should be easy to replace the music with ones from the Japanese release. I don't even know if it's strictly a licensing issue because a few orchestrated tracks are present and leftover from the Japanese release. They are likely unused. It definitely isn't a storage issue. In fact, the US music takes a little more space. The MIDI music is streamed music (meaning it's prerecorded).

Really? That is so odd. Why not give the option for one or the other. Once I get my damaged label copy from Amazon and I swap for a better one I'll be ready to go. VIII's OT should be the "T" is no longer a sword.

ghibli99

I haven't used my 3DS in months. Now I'll be using my 3DS for months. LOL

So excited for this! When I look back, it was one of my favorites, up there with 3, 5, and 9.

Edit: I'm very curious to see how folks respond to this, especially if it's their first DQ game.

mjc

Wtf...why does the red-headed character run like an anime character? Gonna annoy the hell of out me.

I played DQ8 when it came out and I played a few hours of DQ9, but it has been many years since I've actually jumped in on this series so it should be a mostly fresh experience for me. Can't wait, and I'm incredibly jealous of those who have their copies already!

selo

Went for digital, so, gotta wait for official release day :( (although that gives me time to finish pw6, I'm on the 4th case, heh)

Edit: Flipped that around. The US version takes a little less space. It's roughly a 5 or 6 megabytes of data. I don't think the cartridge could fit both soundtracks. Each one is ~190mb.

The music sounds fine to me. Maybe the orchestra is better but to say the localized version is bad because of it is a bit much. Not that you've said that, but I'm seeing people shy away because of the music.

Dunbar

If people are already getting their copies, I regret doing a digital preorder. I'd love to cut out of work early and play all afternoon/evening.

This is my first time playing, and I'm curious, I hear the story is sectioned into little chapters/vignettes, but about how long are they? Does length vary?

Pinky

Banned
Haven't played a DQ game in ages, so I'm excited. Wife is taking online courses for her BA in business, so this will keep me occupied in the evenings while she studies. :)

Robin64

Can't stand using my real name for the Hero in these when everyone else who joins has a predetermined name, so I went with the new name they've given of Auster. I quite like it.

Thinking of announcing contest winners of the contest today instead of on release day. I was going to do the contest results the day Aeana put up the OT but she did it early.

Almost done with AA6, I shall be enjoying a few beers with my Dragon Quest come Friday night :)

Hell of a month for games!

I've been trying to knock out PW before Friday but I'm only at the first trial day of case 3 right now, and I'm busy all evening today.

I don't think it's going to happen.

Here's a question- in the original on PS1 I remember there being a weirdly big focus on the main character's random pet lizard, at least early on in the opening cinematic.

What the hell was that about? And is there anything about that in this version?

Owensboro

Can't wait to play through this again. It took me 120 hours and 3 years to beat the original (after dropping and picking it up over and over) so it will be nice to have a more streamlined and hopefully less "where the hell do I go next?" experience. I already love the fragment finder being a thing.

.....too bad I'm going to have to wait two months.... stupid responsibilities!

Robin64

Here's a question- in the original on PS1 I remember there being a weirdly big focus on the main character's random pet lizard, at least early on in the opening cinematic.

I read about this somewhere recently, though I can't remember where, sorry. But it said that Toriyama put him with lizard in artwork as a shortcut to showing that the guy was kind, and I guess they wanted to use that in the game a little.

Kouriozan

Gotta have to thanks Nintendo so much again, and also for the MULTI-5, that is really cool.
Thanks for bringing back my beloved IP in the West.

Ydelnae

Just bought the last copy, the employee told me that only 6 games arrived and that they are sold out now, 2 days before the official release date lol

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
So happy we're finally getting this. Have it preloaded, just hoping I can finish the last case in AA6 today.

Aeana

That never happened. The only place you see the lizard is in his concept art, and crawling out of the hole at the very end of the intro, then that's it.

SuperSah

Banned
One thing I'm not liking is the change to MIDI.

I skimmed some gameplay a streamer uploaded and the fantastic orchestral boss theme sounds like shit. Meh, ah well.

Top Bottom