• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally: Freeloader for Wii

lopaz

Banned
So, I've yet to go online with my Wii but I intend to soon, does stuff like Virtual Console force you to update firmware? ie will using this bork my ability to use online features in the future, since it disables firmware updates?

batbeg

Burli said:
Is that from codejunkies?

Yeah, I e-mailed them about it as we didn't really have a set date.

lopaz said:
So, I've yet to go online with my Wii but I intend to soon, does stuff like Virtual Console force you to update firmware? ie will using this bork my ability to use online features in the future, since it disables firmware updates?

Someone else got an e-mail explaining that the disc boots into games regardless of firmware, so firmware should never matter. We'll know more in the future, like when it's released.

tabsina

So have they enabled the possibility of shipping to australia yet from codejunkies?

I remember yesterday someone got an email from them saying they would enable it, just wondering if thats happened yet?

Wizpig

So guys, a couple important questions:

1] If, say, you're gonna play a US game that HAS A FIRMWARE UPDATE IN THE DVD on a PAL Wii, will it fuck your Wii or does the Freeloader "lock" that DVD firmware so you can play safely?
2] Has US No more heroes" got a DVD firmware or not? The first game with this that comes to mind is "Super Paper Mario" or "Mario Galaxy", but what about US NMH?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Don't shoot me if it's been asked before, but will Codejunkies ship outside of the UK/US...say Belgium?

samratty

Wizpig said:
So guys, a couple important questions:

1] If, say, you're gonna play a US game that HAS A FIRMWARE UPDATE IN THE DVD on a PAL Wii, will it fuck your Wii or does the Freeloader "lock" that DVD firmware so you can play safely?
2] Has US No more heroes" got a DVD firmware or not? The first game with this that comes to mind is "Super Paper Mario" or "Mario Galaxy", but what about US NMH?
1) It doesn't let games like that update and bypasses the checks so you can just play it. Keep updated tho, I could imagine some games which require updates may crash when they call the new firmware function

2)I htink that was confirmed to be no.

CorwinB

Further to your email we can confirm that on every occasion that the product is used when the disc is inserted in the console that it allows the usage of any imported Wii game discs and disables the console from been able to update its firmware, if the disc is removed after been inserted and reinserted this will again enable the console to update its firmware but still allow the usage of the any imported Wii game discs.

I fail to see how they can be so categoric that their product won't be blocked by a future firmware update (just like the Wii Freeloader for Cube games was broken through a firmware update)... Last gen, the GC didn't have a mechanism in place for firmware updates, but the Wii is a different beast. So there is a real risk of buying a Freeloader (not too expensive), importing a large collection of Wii games, and being up the proverbial creek without a paddle if Nintendo releases a firmware update that, among other things, blocks the Freeloader from working.

The whole "will work under any circumstances" reminds me a lot of those "undetectable" mod chips.

Ramenman

CorwinB said:
I fail to see how they can be so categoric that their product won't be blocked by a future firmware update

Maybe because that's not what they're saying in this e-mail :p

The question was

That.

Maybe its just me, but I find the wording in that quote really confusing, specifically this bit:

if the disc is removed after been inserted and reinserted this will again enable the console to update its firmware but still allow the usage of the any imported Wii game discs.

what?

CorwinB

Ramenman said:
Maybe because that's not what they're saying in this e-mail :p

I was referring to that part :
f the disc is removed after been inserted and reinserted this will again enable the console to update its firmware but still allow the usage of the any imported Wii game discs.

Which implies that even after updating the firmware, you can still run the Freeloader.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I've ordered 2 Freeloaders from 2 different places, hopefully ONE gets here asap.

I will be able to confirm for you guys if

1. No More Heroes US works on PAL
2. SSBB JP works on PAL
3. US/JP games work on PAL

The only thing that might mess up Smash is I have a modchip, but it should be ok.

I'll be selling the other Freeloader once I've tested, so if anyone wants it.

VOOK said:
I've ordered 2 Freeloaders from 2 different places, hopefully ONE gets here asap.

I will be able to confirm for you guys if

1. No More Heroes US works on PAL
2. SSBB JP works on PAL
3. US/JP games work on PAL

The only thing that might mess up Smash is I have a modchip, but it should be ok.

I'll be selling the other Freeloader once I've tested, so if anyone wants it.

Find someone with a US/JP Wii and see if PAL games boot! I'd like to know!

lopaz

Banned
Ordered! Time to covertly practise at Brawl for five months then kick my friends asses when they get their PAL copies

samratty

I will confirm GC NTSC on PAL games when my freeloader arrives.

Still scheming on how to get passed import duty before I buy a Wii import. Any ideas UK-GAF?

VOOK

Dragona Akehi said:
Find someone with a US/JP Wii and see if PAL games boot! I'd like to know!

Alright, my mate has a US Wii - I will try that too.

Mr. Pointy said:
Where'd you order yours from? I usually go through play-asia, but there stock isn't there yet.

One is off Ebay, another from a friends store who has a UK distributor.

Oh and I promised this,

BigFreeloader.jpg

source - Datel sent it to me.

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
I read this thread a couple a days ago, and the consensus was that it was for gamecube imports only.

I take it that the consensus has changed?

tabsina

muramura said:
I read this thread a couple a days ago, and the consensus was that it was for gamecube imports only.

I take it that the consensus has changed?

that was for a very old freeloader, people were just getting them confused.. this one lets you play import wii games apparently

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
tabsina said:
that was for a very old freeloader, people were just getting them confused.. this one lets you play import wii games apparently

awesome.

will be getting this someday then, because of my jspec wii, and my inability to read kanji, I havent played zack and wiki yet

brassica

Hi guys, some news from here

ATTENTION EVERYONE

I have actually had a LONG conversation with one of the codejunkies technical experts over the phone yesterday, when I ordered freeloader (the phone call at their expense - they called me back!)

This is what freeloader does, confirmed by codejunkies staff, who actually investigated my questions when I asked about it, TESTED it, and then called me back:

• WII FREELOADER IGNORES ALL REGION-CODING.
• WII FREELOADER IGNORES ALL WII UPDATES ON A WII GAME DISK (INCLUDING SUPER SMASH BROS. BRAWL).
• WII FREELOADER IGNORES THE NECESSITY OF CHECKING FOR GAME UPDATES; THUS ALLOWING THE GAME FILES TO BE PLAYED SAFELY WITHOUT ANY RISK OF BRICKING YOUR WII CONSOLE.
• CODEJUNKIES STAFF HAVE CONFIRMED TO ME, BY PHONE, THAT IF A WII FIRMWARE UPDATE SOMEHOW BLOCKS THE WII FREELOADER, THEY WILL SEND YOU AN UPDATED WII FREELOADER FREE OF CHARGE WHEN ONE IS CREATED, AS LONG AS YOU HAVE PROOF OF PURCHASE OF YOUR ORIGINAL COPY OF WII FREELOADER.

Hope this helps everyone!

MESSAGE RESPONSES
ok i really need this question answered i have the latest update for the wii will freeloader work do you think ?
Yes, it will.
But surely Nintendo wouldn't actually break someone's Wii just because they used a freeloader? It's not like it's illegal or anything... yet.
They can legally block modchips in europe, but I do not believe they can legally block software (a.k.a. freeloader discs)
Sounds good, but until someone updates their wii and confirms that their wii and freeloader survived the update it just sounds too risky.
Codejunkies has confirmed it's completely safe because wii freeloader loads the game file, ignoring all updates on a game disk.
If it DOES bypass the updates, Nintendo could change the format of some games in the near future making them unplayable even with a Freeloader (they did so in the SNES era with Super Mario RPG by making it unplayable using region-changing devices). So you would be spending over £50 on one game.
It bypasses all updates and plays the raw game file safely, with the wifi and everything safe - this has been confirmed 100% by codejunkies to me.
Brawl will come with an update just like metroid prime 3 and super mario galaxy. It will not work
Yes, it comes with an update, but use of the wii freeloader allows that update to be ignored.
So moving swiftly on....I've gone ahead and order the freeloader and smash bros. After reading all the pages of this thread I'm very skeptical about what will happen once I run the freeloader.
You have every right to be skeptical, but it is unneeded, as codejunkies have tested the Freeloader with a japanese version (with update on disk) with BOTH european, and american consoles.

batbeg

Oh my God... I just came like three times. I have been made their bitch.

Holy shit those forums are horrible. I love GAF <3

I got a US Wii, i can test for PAL games. Unofrtunately, im gonna have to borrow a game from Gamestation and then rent a few others from a local shop.

Any games u wish me to test?

Wow, this new news is awesome, seriously. I'm picking up one of these babies once I see an import Wii game I'm interested in. Question - anyone know if it'll work for import GC games as well? Edit: Never mind, I checked their site, and it says that it can play GC imports as well. Woohoo!

batbeg

Scalpel Knight said:
Wow, this new news is awesome, seriously. I'm picking up one of these babies once I see an import Wii game I'm interested in. Question - anyone know if it'll work for import GC games as well?

Yes.

Danj

brassica said:

The info you posted raises another question, which a friend asked me when we were chatting:

how do you get this "update"
<Danj> by post it sounds like
what if im in singapore? no i mean seriously, if they sell 50k Freeloaders to all over the world (since there are 3 region versions), if Nintendo blocks the freeloader, are they really going to just send out 50k new ones free?
what if Nintendo does it every other week? Nintendo could put them out of business :p
<Danj> good question
i mean im just looking at this from a practical point of view
<Danj> yeah I see your point
as a consumer, im concerned about that
im actually interested in getting a Wii that will be region free, because like... regioning is so bullshit
i want to play both english and japanese games

Ramenman

• CODEJUNKIES STAFF HAVE CONFIRMED TO ME, BY PHONE, THAT IF A WII FIRMWARE UPDATE SOMEHOW BLOCKS THE WII FREELOADER, THEY WILL SEND YOU AN UPDATED WII FREELOADER FREE OF CHARGE WHEN ONE IS CREATED, AS LONG AS YOU HAVE PROOF OF PURCHASE OF YOUR ORIGINAL COPY OF WII FREELOADER.

OMG OMG INSTABUYTON

And I don't care how they do it, actually I don't even care if they do, as long as I've been able to play US No More Heroes my life can end in peace.

But if they really plan on doing that, that's one hell of a great move.

Ramenman

I'm beginning to think bumping this thread was a little mistake. We have a thread with a OP talking about a freeloader who only plays GC games, so why not make a new thread in the first place ?

Then the op could be updated with "what we know and what we don't know", preventing the people joining the party just now from asking the same questions on every page.

batbeg

Ramenman said:
I'm beginning to think bumping this thread was a little mistake. We have a thread with a OP talking about a freeloader who only plays GC games, so why not make a new thread in the first place ?

Then the op could be updated with "what we know and what we don't know", preventing the people joining the party just now from asking the same questions on every page.

Very good idea, we keep getting questions that were answered pages ago.

Ramenman

banKai said:

Already brought up, it's a mistake on play-asia's side.

Actually the GameCube freeloader had 3 versions for the 3 regions. So play-asia just assumed the Wii Freeloader would have 3 versions too, but this is not the case.

Look at VOOK's pics, or on the codejunkies site.

batbeg

Bo130 said:
Do we know anything about WFC working yet? That's my only question left.

Also from that forum:

I phoned first thing yesterday (29th Feb.) morning. By using wii freeloader, they have used a japanese version to go online through BOTH american AND european wii consoles. I made sure to ask this and other VERY specific questions, to make sure I am right when I announced what I'm announcing now.

luffeN

Ramenman said:
Already brought up, it's a mistake on play-asia's side.

Actually the GameCube freeloader had 3 versions for the 3 regions. So play-asia just assumed the Wii Freeloader would have 3 versions too, but this is not the case.

Look at VOOK's pics, or on the codejunkies site.

ah ok, sorry and thx

VOOK

Johnkers said:
Would Code Junkies send to Australia? They don't seem to want to sell us stuff directly :(

Find out would you Vook? :)

Give them a email and see what they say, either way there is going to be plenty of online stores stocking it here in Australia.
brassica said:

Thats fucking awesome news, updating my story.

Top Bottom