• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally: Freeloader for Wii

D.Lo said:
They probably killed the GC one to eliminate the GCN SD card based piracy. Datel would be better off eliminating the GCN compatibility here to avoid that.

Nintendo let the Freeloader exist for years on the GCN, I don't think they are too against it unless it allows piracy of some sort.

batbeg said:
Perhaps this Freeloader also has firmware updates, kind of like CFW for the PSP? Not sure how feasible that is.

Either of these being the case would be incredibly awesome

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I've ordered mine.

EDIT:
D.Lo said:
They probably killed the GC one to eliminate the GCN SD card based piracy. Datel would be better off eliminating the GCN compatibility here to avoid that.

Nintendo let the Freeloader exist for years on the GCN, I don't think they are too against it unless it allows piracy of some sort.
Well, they didn't have firmware upgrades on GCN... but I hope you're right.

Grug

This is actually what I wanted a Freeloader for.

All my Gamecube games are US versions but my Wii is PAL and I hate having to plug in my Gamecube to play my old games.

Disappointing that it doesn't play Wii games, but this is still an essential purchase for me.

batbeg

Fenix said:
I think it's First Name, Middle Initial

Thank you!

Grug said:

All my Gamecube games are US versions but my Wii is PAL and I hate having to plug in my Gamecube to play my old games.

Disappointing that it doesn't play Wii games, but this is still an essential purchase for me.

First: I'm in the same situation.

Second: uh... it does play import Wii games.

APZonerunner said:
Okay guys quick what's a good site to import brawl from the US to the UK?

Its been a while since I used them and its Canada not the US, but http://www.videogamesplus.ca/

This *will* work btw, Datel products are pretty solid at what they do. But I don't know how long it will work for before Nintendo issue an update to block it. Hopefully you can have Freeloader updates saved to an SD memory save file or something.

gdt

Grug said:

I think you need to read the thread again...

Edit: Beaten

I'll write to Datel / CodeJunkies about the possibility of Nintendo blocking this and see what they say.

edit - I sent this

Fantastic news on the new Wii Freeloader. As I'm sure Datel and code junkies are aware, Nintendo blocked Action Replay and Freeloader from working on the Wii with a firmware update. Some have suggested Nintendo may have done that to prevent the SD Memory card hack that can be exploited with the software. Have Datel consulted Nintendo at all about this new version of Freeloader? Can I as a customer be assured it won't be blocked?

Thanks

Tom

MidiSurf said:
FUUUUUUUUCK !!!! I just bought fucking NTSC-wii for 400$ !!!

It's better to have the hardware, honestly. Cheaper games overall, and absolutely no way that Nintendo can lock you out via firmware.

However, it'd be still worth the 10 quid to get the Freeloader for some cheap local games.

Fenix

Ninja Kn1ght said:
Should I order Smash Bros from VG+ or PA? VG+ is cheaper but I heard Wii box arts are all bilingual in Canada which messes them up.

Sometimes even trilingual... not sure what you mean by messes them up though.

batbeg

Wait, normally I'm asked to put in the post code that's registered with my card, which is different than where I currently live. Am I meant to put my old address in the "billing address" (I've never filled out a specific billing address option so I'm not sure about this)??

batbeg said:
Wait, normally I'm asked to put in the post code that's registered with my card, which is different than where I currently live. Am I meant to put my old address in the "billing address" (I've never filled out a specific billing address option so I'm not sure about this)??

Yes.

Thomper

radioheadrule83 said:
I'll write to Datel / CodeJunkies about the possibility of Nintendo blocking this and see what they say.

edit - I sent this
It says on the product page it's '100% unofficial', so they probably won't have talked to Nintendo about this.

Fenix

batbeg said:

Wherever your credit card bills arrive is what you'd put there.

NinjaKn1ght: I wouldn't says it makes them much uglier.... certainly nicer than those large coloured triangles you get in some PAL regions. I'm a boxart fanatic, and it's never bothered me. I'd say go with VG+.

batbeg

brain_stew said:

*sigh* Thanks, I didn't want it getting sent to the wrong place or anything weird :lol That did it though.

So psyched so psyched so psyched and it's mostly just because I can finally finish my damn Gamecube game...! And Dawn of the New World. And No More Heroes. And Smash Bros. And...!

Link Man

Banned
Ninja Kn1ght said:
I hope it does so that they learn to release games everywhere at the same time.
Bu...wah?

I fail to see the logic in this statement. Nintendo will see a dropoff in sales as a lack of interest, and will invest less of a focus in Europe (potentially), as they will see it as a waste of resources.

Firestorm

If this works and isn't just a typo or something, they picked the best possible time to release it.
If not, this is the absolute WORST week to get people's hopes up.

Here's me hoping you Europeans get it ^_^

Maloney

Excellent news indeed! Just in time for SSBB.

I had been watching for any developments on the "Twilight Hack" in the hope that they developed a region free hack, no worries now though.

Good stuff!

Dascu

D-X said:
Great. My friend leaves tom for NY with instructions to get me NO MORE HEROES!
*High-fucking-five*

Original vision FTW :lol

I've already got a pre-order on the European version though. Hmm. I guess I'll wait this Freeloader thing out a bit to make sure it's all working properly.

LinkAMN said:
Bu...wah?

I fail to see the logic in this statement. Nintendo will see a dropoff in sales as a lack of interest, and will invest less of a focus in Europe (potentially), as they will see it as a waste of resources.

Or perhaps they will see that people wouldn't wait for them to release it in Europe and imported instead and NoE will realise that in order to maintain their sales they will have to ensure that games are released in a timely fashion.

batbeg

When does this actually release? I'm going home from uni in like 2 and a half weeks so it'd suck if I don't get it :lol I didn't even think of the release, just went into buy mode.

Fenix

batbeg said:
When does this actually release? I'm going home from uni in like 2 and a half weeks so it'd suck if I don't get it :lol I didn't even think of the release, just went into buy mode.

Original article said 10 days.

LinkAMN said:
Bu...wah?

That's kinda what I was thinking too. This is good for importing gamers, but...well...that's about it.

Top Bottom