• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally: Freeloader for Wii

Link Man

Banned
Ninja Kn1ght said:
Or perhaps they will see that people wouldn't wait for them to release it in Europe and imported instead and NoE will realise that in order to maintain their sales they will have to ensure that games are released in a timely fashion.
Not likely. It is more likely that they will see an increase in Japanese or U.S. sales, and focus more heavily on those territories.

itxaka

Defeatist
oh fuck yes!

Day one. My Naruto and MLB power pros have a lot of dust, but I don´t have to order them and wait for them, just have to wait for the freeloader!

Gagaman

Things I would like to know before buying this:
Online play will be possible in import Wii games, right?
Is it true that only NTSC Gamecube games can run at 480p?

Otherwise this is shit awesome so long as Nintendo keep their updating hides away from it. Not only can we get games that we would otherwise have to wait forever for, but imported games appear to be cheaper than PAL games, too!

farnham said:
WTH hopefully this allows some patches when Nintendo updates its firmwares
Erm, what? Wii is a Smash Bros. player at this point in time. If this lets you play Brawl online and JP imports then Nintendo can shove their firmware updates.

batbeg

Maloney said:
Just ordered mine. £5.21 postage is a bit steep. But hey ho £15.20 isn't bad really.

I bought the GCN Freeloader for £20 in store, so I don't think it's bad at all :D

10 days, huh? Hopefully they can put an ETA out there so I can see about e-mailing them to change the address...

Dascu said:
Wait. No firmware updates... what if that means no WiiWare?

...dammit. Think positive...!

Fenix

Quick thought:

If one were to import a JPN game which required a firmware update (that hopefully doesn't disable the Freeloader), would you be able to install it? If so, what would happen afterwards... are they "the same" firmwares?

Dascu said:
Wait. No firmware updates... what if that means no WiiWare?
That's not confirmed yet. It's just speculation that the firmware updates for features will be coupled with fixes for the freeloader.

Dascu

Visualante said:
That's not confirmed yet. It's just speculation that the firmware updates for features will be coupled with fixes for the freeloader.
It's a pretty high risk though.

Thomper

Visualante said:
Erm, what? Wii is a Smash Bros. player at this point in time. If this lets you play Brawl online and JP imports then Nintendo can shove their firmware updates.
Some games force you to update firmware when playing them. Unless you decide to stop playing new (released after Brawl) Nintendo-games on your Wii once you have Brawl, firmware updates will still be there and might create problems.

Holy shit! SSBB PAL Wii gamers are redeemed! Get this! Get this! Get this!

I will purchase one for myself as well to play any Japanese/EU games that come out earlier than US :)

Thomper said:
Some games force you to update firmware when playing them. Unless you decide to stop playing new (released after Brawl) Nintendo-games on your Wii once you have Brawl, firmware updates will still be there and might create problems.
Buy Brawl + Freeloader, play that for a few months. Pick up a second copy of PAL Brawl and sell Freeloader + import Brawl then.

It's not like they lose their value. (or that Wii has other games coming)

farnham

Banned
I just ordered this to play some of my import GC games on the Wii (i dont wanna pull out my GC all the time)

i really really hope nintendo wont provide firmware updates to block this

Personally, if I can get Brawl early I'm not bothered if I can't play any other Nintendo games or get firmware updates for the meantime. Once Brawl gets released over here I can just buy the euro version and catch up on what I've missed.

batbeg

Visualante said:
Buy Brawl + Freeloader, play that for a few months. Pick up a second copy of PAL Brawl and sell Freeloader + import Brawl then.

It's not like they lose their value. (or that Wii has other games coming)

Er, Mario Kart and Wii Fit are coming out like the very next month :lol

LinkAMN said:
Bu...wah?

I fail to see the logic in this statement. Nintendo will see a dropoff in sales as a lack of interest, and will invest less of a focus in Europe (potentially), as they will see it as a waste of resources.

LinkAMN said:
Not likely. It is more likely that they will see an increase in Japanese or U.S. sales, and focus more heavily on those territories.

I'd love to know exactly how NOE could give less of a shit about Europe if they tried to be honest.

I ordered it too. £5.21 for shipping to London is somewhat steep.

However, CodeJunkies are a good company, I've dealt with them before where they replaced a previous version of freeloader for GC (after nintendo was able to lock them out i believe) free of charge. Just had to send a stamped addressed envelope with my old disc and they sent me a new updated version within about a week.

If Nintendo do lock them out on Wii, and they are able to devise a workaround, hopefully they'll provide the same kind of service for their customers with a replacement.

Shiggy

With Mario Kart coming in April I can wait until June for SSBB. Nevertheless, I'll buy the Freeloader at a later point for some Japanese games.

batbeg

Visualante said:
You really think Nintendo will that quick in patching it and putting it on those discs?

They easily could. I recall some PSP games often bumped up firmware in early days. More than a month seems feasible.

Though I desperately desperately hope no firmware breaks this and they worked some badass voodoo magic. I'm not even in the position to waste £15 :lol

luffeN

Fenix said:
Quick thought:

If one were to import a JPN game which required a firmware update (that hopefully doesn't disable the Freeloader), would you be able to install it? If so, what would happen afterwards... are they "the same" firmwares?

as far as I understand it, and a buddy of mine told me, then the PAL wii for example is dead.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Fuck yeah!

Time to import me the real version of No more heroes :D and import my sexy copy of Brawl.

Mwuhah go to hell NOE.

MrPing1000 said:
It really is silly that I can import an American Wii game cheaper than the rrp in the uk.

Yup. I do it with DS games all the time.

At this point, I'm more concerned about forced updates on game discs that could potentially brick your Wii rather than the firmware update itself blocking the Freeloader...

batbeg

Jaded Alyx said:
Yup. I do it with DS games all the time.

At this point, I'm more concerned about forced updates on game discs that could potentially brick your Wii rather than the firmware update itself blocking the Freeloader...

I doubt it's possible. This is a boot disc and thus would only activate when you load it up, so as long as you check online after new firmware has been released to make sure it isn't interfering/bricking Wiis, you should be safe.

dyls

How much would it cost for me to import a UK copy of Mario Kart to the US? (never imported from Europe before)

gamejunkies said:
or a gridiron football or NBL baseball game that’s never released outside the States?

I swear if I miss another NBL game I'm going to shoot someone. Who has the exclusive rights to the NBL property again? AE?

batbeg

dyls said:
How much would it cost for me to import a UK copy of Mario Kart to the US? (never imported from Europe before)

I don't know about shipping, being on the opposite side of course, but the game would probably set you back $70 alone. Maybe closer to $80 depending on where you can import and exchange rates.

samratty

dyls said:
A lot, I assume.
MK will be around £40 probably, which is like $80, then add on shipping and possible import tax charges.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Nothing I read at GAF has ever made actually made me login on my iPhone. Until now.

Nintendo Europe and Nintendo Australia, your tyranny is at a end, no longer will PAL gamers have to put up with your crap. When your software sales start to dip, please don't come crying to us.

Its 4am, I'm on the john and this is the best damn news to go to sleep to. Good night GAF, and on a lighter note.

FUCK YEAH FREELOADER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kyosuke

So Codejunkies only accepts credit cards for payment? That sucks. Is there any other option except waiting for these things to appear on Ebay or am I fucked?

batbeg said:
I doubt it's possible. This is a boot disc and thus would only activate when you load it up, so as long as you check online after new firmware has been released to make sure it isn't interfering/bricking Wiis, you should be safe.

I meant the Nintendo titles bricking the Wiis with their preloaded firmware updates. eg. if say in the future NTSC Animal Crossing comes with new firmware on the disc, and it installs it to my PAL Wii.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
important question: does this thing also enable you to play imported cube games? I have a freeloader here that doesn't work with the Wii and I have a copy of BKO that's just waiting to be played

batbeg

Kyosuke said:
So Codejunkies only accepts credit cards for payment? That sucks. Is there any other option except waiting for these things to appear on Ebay or am I fucked?

You could give me a blowjob?

Seriously though, if you have paypal (assuming you do as you mention eBay) there may be a gaffer willing to buy it for you if you paypal them the money or something? I'm afraid I can't offer, as I'm now down to £30 for the next few weeks :lol

Darunia said:
important question: does this thing also enable you to play imported cube games? I have a freeloader here that doesn't work with the Wii and I have a copy of BKO that's just waiting to be played

Yeah, it specifically says it does so no worries :D That was actually my main reason for being excited about it, to play through BKO properly now :D :D :D

D.Lo

Damn, no postage to Australia, was going to do a crazay impulse purchase. Have to wait until play-asia gets them then.

Dascu

batbeg said:
You could give me a blowjob?

Seriously though, if you have paypal (assuming you do as you mention eBay) there may be a gaffer willing to buy it for you if you paypal them the money or something? I'm afraid I can't offer, as I'm now down to £30 for the next few weeks :lol
You still need a credit card for PayPal, whereas you can shop on eBay using normal wire transfers.

Top Bottom