• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cave Story + (Switch) review thread

ryushe

Was kind of expecting an actual CD. Didn't know they still did mini disk.

Also, It's funny how similar the images are (minus Mario Kart of course).
DCyQk6oVwAAsppc.jpg

Reallink

Switch pricing is so fucked up, this should be priced like Kamiko at this point. Nintendo's tight gate keeper control on releases are just limiting competition and enabling developers to fleece customers hand over fist.

Scoops

Banned
Switch Player - 4.6/5

More than ten years after its first release, Cave Story+ still holds its ground as the apex of its genre. There is hardly anything left to be improved upon regarding its gameplay, visuals, or soundtrack - and this plus version is truly the definitive release of the game. You'd be doing yourself a disservice by not adding it to your library.

MyGamer - 8.5/10

When is this going to be abialbke digitally on the UK store?

I'm desperate for more Switch games, but I'm half tempted to get Nex Machina on PS4 instead if Cave Story isn't up soon.

Any word on the UK price?

Haven't had access to this game for a while and the physical release looked too good to pass up! $25 after tax doesn't feel bad at all considering that rewards points I'll also earn from Best Buy. Picking this up with an extra dock later today so I can move my Switch between both my TV's. Can't wait!

Just got it. Manual is cute, my car won't read the tiny soundtrack though :p

Gonna play when I get home. Love this game and can't wait to play in HD

OmegaFax

Switch pricing is so fucked up, this should be priced like Kamiko at this point. Nintendo's tight gate keeper control on releases are just limiting competition and enabling developers to fleece customers hand over fist.

I feel the same way about the digital version. Best advice to say is no one is forcing you to buy it. It's been offered on Humble Bundle for PC, there's a freeware version, and literally three different versions can be played on the 3DS alone (DSi, polygonal remake, 3DS eShop release of original).

If you have a 3DS ... you can literally buy the sprite-based and polygon-based versions for $25 total. DSi was unfortunately delisted when the eShop sprite-based 3DS version came out. It made some use out of the touch screen as a map. Unique in a way.

The stereoscopic effect on the sprite-based 3DS version is really good and the game is presented in widescreen format.

GameStop reprinted the 3DS physical release and you can buy it off of their website used for $15. eShop has the digital sprite-based for $10.

but yeah, you look at games like Blaster Master Zero, Kamiko, Shantae, Mighty Gunvolt Burst, Shovel Knight ... they're all priced less digitally. You can argue subjectively on which is better or worst but they're all cheaper than Cave Story.

Even Sega knew that it would be a tough sell to price the digital and physical versions of Puyo Puyo Tetris the same. They did mark up the physical version $10 over the physical PS4 version but padded it with sticker and keychain bonuses.

I don't expect price parity with everything physically or digitally but games like Puyo, Isaac, and Cave Story play up the physical extras as padding to justify the price that totally isn't there with the digital release.

I finally finished up the final touches on a video review of the game but I do want to put something out there for people.

1. The rumble feature is only.. okay and it's not "HD Rumble" ala other Switch games.
2. The Pokken Controller and the 8BitDo SFC30 controllers work on this game.

It feels right to be playing Cave Story + with a SFAM style controller. Like.. more right than anything ever.

You should do it because it feels good.

That's how I play it. I got it digitally from Nicalis.. but I still bought it Physically because it's CAVE STORY. <3

Cody_D165

Banned
My copy just arrived. First Switch game I own with a physical manual, haha. Loved this game the first time around so I'm glad to own a physical copy in this manner.

Playing on handheld mode, and in the beginning the music coming out of the speakers on remastered mode sounds like it's crackling. Doesn't happen with anything else. Anyone else experience this?

tsundoku

I can sure as hell live with the butchered "improved" sprites so long as I can turn off the butchered soundtrack so I kept my preorder in the end

J@hranimo

Banned
Well I thought about it and went ahead and put in the order for the physical at Best Buy. GCU brings this down to $25, which is $10 more than the current price on Steam.

As someone that's never played this all this time I'm looking forward to it! Picking it up tomorrow :D

Sora_N

I finally finished up the final touches on a video review of the game but I do want to put something out there for people.

1. The rumble feature is only.. okay and it's not "HD Rumble" ala other Switch games.
2. The Pokken Controller and the 8BitDo SFC30 controllers work on this game.

It feels right to be playing Cave Story + with a SFAM style controller. Like.. more right than anything ever.

You should do it because it feels good.

That's how I play it. I got it digitally from Nicalis.. but I still bought it Physically because it's CAVE STORY. <3

After I read your post about the Pokken controller, I bought my copy off amazon since I have Prime it's cheaper. I'd rather get the first print copy now, since it may not go on sale in the future before physical copies disappear.

hawk2025

Ugh, I don't know if I just didn't remember How Cave Story plays or if it's this version, but the input lag when using a Pro controller is constantly annoying.

Amazing package otherwise. Nicalis is on a roll, can't wait for 1001 Spikes and hope it gets a similar treatment.

Ugh, I don't know if I just didn't remember How Cave Story plays or if it's this version, but the input lag when using a Pro controller is constantly annoying.

Amazing package otherwise. Nicalis is on a roll, can't wait for 1001 Spikes and hope it gets a similar treatment.

Based on its inclusion in the inside of the Cave Story+ package, I think it will.

I mean, it better. I need a physical version of that game!

Scoops

Banned
Comic Book - 4.5/5

Cave Story+ on the Nintendo Switch is simply the best way to experience what has, for so many years, been one of the best retro-inspired games ever developed. It's original, it's challenging, and it's fun. If you don't believe me, go read a thousand Steam reviews and see if you're not persuaded. You're late to the party, folks. Pick this one up now.

Gaming Age - A-

I think it’s priced fairly at $29.99, but if you’ve played through the game on WiiWare, PC, and so on, there’s not a lot of meaningful additions being made to this version of the game. It uses the upgraded visuals of previous ports, and does feature multiple soundtrack options, but outside of that it’s essentially Cave Story as you remember it. Of course that is still a positive thing, but as someone who has played through the game a few times, I’d only suggest it to fans if you’re either dying to play some more Cave Story, or looking to scratch a Metroidvania itch on the Nintendo Switch.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
What? I did it individually thinking it was the same. Love how the booklet tells you everything you need to know to get the "best" ending.
I love that you have to
hold the book up to a light so you can read the backwards words on the other side of the page.

Feeroper

I've never played this game before but am going to take the plunge for the Switch version since it gets tons of love. I love metroidvainia style games and am a child of the NES/SNES years so the visual style really appeals.

Quick question though - how does the game control with Joycons attached in handheld mode? given that the d pad is not traditional. I'll mostly play this on the TV with my pro controller, but on the go will it be a huge issue?

I want this game, never played it really. Trying to figure out if I want it digitally or physical. This game seems like a great game to jump in and out of, which would push me to digital.

Buggy Loop

I've never played this game before but am going to take the plunge for the Switch version since it gets tons of love. I love metroidvainia style games and am a child of the NES/SNES years so the visual style really appeals.

Quick question though - how does the game control with Joycons attached in handheld mode? given that the d pad is not traditional. I'll mostly play this on the TV with my pro controller, but on the go will it be a huge issue?

I played Specter of torment & now playing Cave story with analog stick.

It's fine. I don't get the absolute binary reaction of Dpad or bust.

Game plays just fine with the joycon directional buttons. The hate for them is unwarranted as always.

Unwarranted might be a bit much. I could see it being doable, but not really what makes for accurate, enjoyable game control. Personally a dpad is 100% non negotiable for any game that has digital twitch inputs.

Necro900

Anyone in Europe picked it up? Does it have the Soundtrack and the manual inside ?
I asked gamestop service (apparently the only place that's carrying the game here) but they couldn't give me an answer. As in, they don't know what's inside the game case.

shtolky

I have this on PC, never got around to playing it. I wonder if it's worth the 30 bucks just to have handheld access.

antibolo

Banned
Unwarranted might be a bit much. I could see it being doable, but not really what makes for accurate, enjoyable game control. Personally a dpad is 100% non negotiable for any game that has digital twitch inputs.

Perfectly accurate and enjoyable here.

Not sure how separate buttons could possibly be less accurate than a d-pad, anyway. There's no danger of accidental diagonals.

Top Bottom