• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [July] Now Voting - Post 874!

Yes, It's good, I agree. The game gets real crazy with some of the time portal gateway thingy.

Could you add a screenshot to the post so I dont miss it? A general short 1-2 sentence description would be appreciated too.

And yes, I do plan on checking it out eventually, probably next month now when I added it to the august thread.

Oh yeah I love Gateways, it starts off doing some Portal'y type stuff, but it eventually breaks out and you are always learning a new mechanic, and it's a joy to explore. Definitely an underrated gem on Steam.
Cool I'm not alone on this game after all! Toma, I updated my post with a screenshot.

I have Knights of Pen & Paper on the iPad. It's pretty fun, but not worth $10 unless they added a significant amount of content for the PC version.

Nope, but someone else indeed posted some impressions probably in the june thread.

Thanks for the quick responses. I'll put Knights of Pen & Paper on the wait for the Steam Sale pile. Expeditions: Conquistador will be going on the buying list. The impressions and videos I've seen have left a very good impression on me.

Do yourself a favour and don't buy Knights of Pen and Paper, the DnD charm only takes it so far and Farmville has more compelling gameplay.

On a random note, I was using the Game Analyzer to update my opinions for the first time in a bit and it looks really good now. Loving the link straight to my post feature. Great work there Toma.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Do yourself a favour and don't buy Knights of Pen and Paper, the DnD charm only takes it so far and Farmville has more compelling gameplay.

On a random note, I was using the Game Analyzer to update my opinions for the first time in a bit and it looks really good now. Loving the link straight to my post feature. Great work there Toma.

Glad you like it :) But yeah, there are a few more features I have in mind when I get around to it. We'd also need someone to create the database update for July, which takes about 1-2 hours I guess. Anyone have the time for it?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Toma, we could always skype you in to segment on MetaVendetta once a month if you'd be interested!

Thanks for the offer, but I'd prefer having people talk about sound design and music creation who actually know what they are talking about ;p

41647-cubeworld1.jpg

Hot news story straight from the Steam thread. Cubeworld is now possible to pre-order, although the site and shop appears to be getting hammered so it might be a bit odd for a while.

https://picroma.com/

If anyone is interested, Cubeworld is fast paced single or co-op hack and slash adventure RPG set in a randomly generated Minecraft style world.

Toma

Hot news story straight from the Steam thread. Cubeworld is now possible to pre-order, although the site and shop appears to be getting hammered so it might be a bit odd for a while.

If anyone is interested, Cubeworld is fast paced hack and slash set in a randomly generated Minecraft style world.

Oooooh, does the preorder give beta access or something? Otherwise there isnt much use in trying to get the preorder done today.

Toma

It will, but the beta isn't out for a week or 2. Their is a tech demo averiable currently (I think for free), not sure how much of the game that is though.

If I remember correctly and if he hasnt done a new version, the tech demo is quite an old build. Definitely interested in the Beta, but if its not already open, I'll just try again later this week.

Twinduct

Wowzar 15 EUs!
Hope he added a bunch of stuff since the pre-alpha the streamers played. (like clouds would be nice).

Waiting for the beta before I sell my soul :/

Waaait .. Alpha is ready?

Fuck :S

Toma

Wowzar 15 EUs!
Hope he added a bunch of stuff since the pre-alpha the streamers played. (like clouds would be nice).

Waiting for the beta before I sell my soul :/

Waaait .. Alpha is ready?

Fuck :S

I (and I am sure others as well) will definitely jump in and give impressions when the Beta hits, so just check back here if you need impressions by then.

If you are not sure whether something is or isnt Indie, feel free to talk about it here, just as a general rule.
Okay, cool.

Checked out the series on Wikipedia. Seems pretty niche. It's like WW2 Hitman. Right up my alley

On that note, on the IndieGameSwap sub-reddit, I'm trading Torchlight for a few keys. Death to Spies: Moment of Truth for myself (came out in 2009, could I run it?) and then a key to a game that I could offer/trade, that people would actually want.

What would be the best choice for that? Stealth Bastard Deluxe, Gemini Rue, Beat Hazard Ultra, Superbrothers, Psychonauts/Stacking/Costume Quest, Proteus, Anomaly Warzone Earth,

Toma

Okay, cool.

Checked out the series on Wikipedia. Seems pretty niche. It's like WW2 Hitman. Right up my alley

On that note, on the IndieGameSwap sub-reddit, I'm trading Torchlight for a few keys. Death to Spies: Moment of Truth for myself (came out in 2009, could I run it?) and then a key to a game that I could offer/trade, that people would actually want.

What would be the best choice for that? Stealth Bastard Deluxe, Gemini Rue, Beat Hazard Ultra, Superbrothers, Psychonauts/Stacking/Costume Quest, Proteus, Anomaly Warzone Earth,

Psycho/Stacking/Costume is 1 possibility with all 3 games? Because 3 good games are a good bargaining chip. Other than that probably Proteus and after that Superbrothers I guess.

Psycho/Stacking/Costume is 1 possibility with all 3 games? Because 3 good games are a good bargaining chip. Other than that probably Proteus and after that Superbrothers I guess.
That's what I was thinking too. The more games I can offer, the better (This is like a freaking business!)

---
And I'm probably really late to the party. but here are some freeware games that I've enjoyed:
Zineth - free roaming high speed acrobatic platforming with a cool art style
Gymnast - requires a 360 controller
Mari0 - Mario + Portals
Warning Forever - shmup against bosses that learn and adapt to your tactics

Twinduct

I (another I am sure others as well) will definitely jump in and give impressions when the Beta hits, so just check back here if you need impressions by then.

Heh sadly I've been following the game for a year now. I really want to jump on it, but just been burned by playing alpha games for too long. I constantly get into a rut where I want to play the game like now! and I play it silly for the few weeks/ months ... but I never progress as there is this constant pang of 'wait for x to come in before doing y' and soon I find myself less enthusiastic to jump onto new builds and etc.

The worst part is I know it's immature to look at the process like this, yet I can't stop myself. I get giddy when something new comes along in this space, even more so when it comes from the indie scene.

So yeah, buying the alpha access once the server is up.

Btw always lurking and appreciate this thread greatly, just can't find myself to actually participate as much as I want. I find that actually with Neogaf in general.

Toma

Heh sadly I've been following the game for a year now. I really want to jump on it, but just been burned by playing alpha games for too long. I constantly get into a rut where I want to play the game like now! and I play it silly for the few weeks/ months ... but I never progress as there is this constant pang of 'wait for x to come in before doing y' and soon I find myself less enthusiastic to jump onto new builds and etc.

The worst part is I know it's immature to look at the process like this, yet I can't stop myself. I get giddy when something new comes along in this space, even more so when it comes from the indie scene.

So yeah, buying the alpha access once the server is up.

Btw always lurking and appreciate this thread greatly, just can't find myself to actually participate as much as I want. I find that actually with Neogaf in general.

Well you still get your moneys worth if you play the hell out of it for weeks or months. I havent touched Gnomoria in ages, but I still loved the first alpha builds *shrug*

Looking forward to get into it again once I feel that this particular itch needs scratching. Its just like buying a full release game new, playing it for a while until I am satisfied and when I want to pick it up again, there is actually NEW and FREE content in the game just by playing other games in the meantime :-o Totally awesome if you ask me.

That's what I was thinking too. The more games I can offer, the better (This is like a freaking business!)

---
And I'm probably really late to the party. but here are some freeware games that I've enjoyed:
Zineth - free roaming high speed acrobatic platforming with a cool art style
Gymnast - requires a 360 controller
Mari0 - Mario + Portals
Warning Forever - shmup against bosses that learn and adapt to your tactics
Hm, I want to try all of these!

Twinduct

Well you still get your moneys worth if you play the hell out of it for weeks or months. I havent touched Gnomoria in ages, but I still loved the first alpha builds *shrug*

Looking forward to get into it again once I feel that this particular itch needs scratching. Its just like buying a full release game new, playing it for a while until I am satisfied and when I want to pick it up again, there is actually NEW and FREE content in the game just by playing other games in the meantime :-o Totally awesome if you ask me.

Yeah look it's not about the money (although 15 EUs does make it a harder pill). I just become aware that my interest is dwindling and I think that somewhere in my mind I make that decline a bigger thing than it is.

I think it goes back to just being spoiled for choice. When I was younger, I use to play games for close to a year. Now a days I'm luckily if I can get past a month or two before I move on to the next thing. The worst bit is that I know it's something I need to change. I can't go blaming anyone or anything. Ugh I blame money.

I should just cut up my Credit Card ... problem solved then I guess.

Btw no idea if this was posted, but quite an awesome read at Gamasutra with the future of Dwarf Fortress link

That's a game I would love to get back in, although I imagine not that much has changed in two years.

Toma

Btw no idea if this was posted, but quite an awesome read at Gamasutra with the future of Dwarf Fortress link

That's a game I would love to get back in, although I imagine not that much has changed in two years.

Oh wow, thanks for that link. And yeah, I am just waiting for that darned next DF update since what feels like ages now, because I wanted to try annother few runs and finally try the adventure mode after its updated again. June 2012 was the last one.

Well this sucks. I was on the verge of trading Torchlight for some keys...and it turns out I haven't been Steam long enough. I've had to have Steam Guard enabled for at least 15 days before being able to trade and I've only been active for 4 :(

Anyway, yeah those freeware games are awesome. I highly recommend all of them

Twinduct

Oh wow, thanks for that link. And yeah, I am just waiting for that darned next DF update since what feels like ages now, because I wanted to try annother few runs and finally try the adventure mode after its updated again. June 2012 was the last one.

Yeah really thinking of jumping back in now. Although I know I'll lose days on it. I really dig the dev bros though. So down to earth, kinda refreshing.

Toma

Well this sucks. I was on the verge of trading Torchlight for some keys...and it turns out I haven't been Steam long enough. I've had to have Steam Guard enabled for at least 15 days before being able to trade and I've only been active for 4 :(

Anyway, yeah those freeware games are awesome. I highly recommend all of them

If you hook me up with whoever offered it, I can give him Torchlight 1 and give you the keys afterwards. I still have like 3-4 torchlight 1 steam codes or something.

I really should go down and actually play Zineth sometime, I've heard only good stuff about it. But Rogue Legacy keep eating up all my spare time, damn my lack of willpower.

If you hook me up with whoever offered it, I can give him Torchlight 1 and give you the keys afterwards. I still have like 3-4 torchlight 1 steam codes or something.

Oh, wow, thank you. That would be great

This was his profile: http://steamcommunity.com/id/artyart

The offer was for keys to Death to Spies Moment of Truth and a Psychonaut/Stacking/Costume Quest pack. This is my profile if you need it: http://steamcommunity.com/id/cvbxsta/

These are the minimum specs for Death to Spies. Could I run it? If not, I'll just save it to trade
CPU: Intel Pentium IV or AMD Athlon 2 – 2,4 GHz
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 5700/ATI Radeon 9800 with 128 MB RAM or higher

Toma

So exchanging TL1 with DtS:MoT & Psycho pack? And he seems to be currently offline, but I'll follow up with him.
When I go to his profile page, it says currently online.

But anyway thank you. I must say, I had heard some horror stories about NeoGaf before registering. But after spending the last two months here, it really is the best forum community on the internet IMO. And I'm a poster at GameFaqs, IGN, Undead Labs, Giant Bomb, etc. but this has been the most personable, friendly community I've been a part of.

Toma

When I go to his profile page, it says currently online.

But anyway thank you. I must say, I had heard some horror stories about NeoGaf before registering. But after spending the last two months here, it really is the best forum community on the internet IMO. And I'm a poster at GameFaqs, IGN, Undead Labs, Giant Bomb, etc. but this has been the most personable, friendly community I've been a part of.

PM.

Toma

Thank you. Really appreciate it

What do you think about the DoS specs? (I posted them somewhere on this page). If I can't run it, I'll save it for future trading

I'd say.. yes, but probably not on the highest res with highest settings.

Toma

Thank you. Really appreciate it

What do you think about the DoS specs? (I posted them somewhere on this page). If I can't run it, I'll save it for future trading

Another PM.

Toma

Also, the first 3 people to quote this post and actually want to play it (please dont reply just to trade it away), get an FTL Steam key. Only requirement, post your impressions here after you did :p

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Been out of the loop more so. Work... and then Animal Crossing...
Doesn't help that indies keep developing.

Zineth is a blast..literally. Such a damn shame they cant turn such a concept into a full game. I'd kickstart it.
Can't wait for their next game to come out of the LA Game Space backing bundle, Perfect Stride. It seems to continue the theme of skating freely around, but I'd let their website do the talking.

http://pstride.tumblr.com/

Toma

Been out of the loop more so. Work... and then Animal Crossing...
Doesn't help that indies keep developing.

Can't wait for their next game to come out of the LA Game Space backing bundle, Perfect Stride. It seems to continue the theme of skating freely around, but I'd let their website do the talking.

http://pstride.tumblr.com/

I (my eyes to be more precise) .. slightly hate you for urging me to click on that website.

Vancha

If anyone is interested, Cubeworld is fast paced single or co-op hack and slash adventure RPG set in a randomly generated Minecraft style world.

Oh I've been waiting for this! Would love to feature it on my channel as a series. Anyone care to join me in a channel series on youtube? :)

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Not even talking about the GAME art.

Either way, it's lovely and can't wait to try it out. But with the website, it feels like I'm playing already. They nailed it.

Anywho, gotta a small stack of stuff I want to try out. Starting with increpare's latest...

So FTL...should I start on Easy or Hard? Having never played a game like this, the controls and setup is much simpler than I expected. Just finished the tutorial :)

Also, Gateways? You're talking about the 2D game where you play a scientist? I played it on XBLA, awesome indie game

Toma

So FTL...should I start on Easy or Hard? Having never played a game like this, the controls and setup is much simpler than I expected. Just finished the tutorial :)

Also, Gateways? You're talking about the 2D game where you play a scientist? I played it on XBLA, awesome indie game

Easy.

If anyones an FTL fan but would want that game with less shooty bang and perhaps more focus on rapidly shrinking resources then you might want to keep an eye on Out There. I really like the art style.

http://outtheregame.com/

Just fyi, if you want to keep an eye on this, bookmark this page because the name of this game is a nightmare to find on Google.

Also, the first 3 people to quote this post and actually want to play it (please dont reply just to trade it away), get an FTL Steam key. Only requirement, post your impressions here after you did :p

Still have a key?

I played Gods will be watching last night and the game already hook me, died by my own stupidity but will try again later.

Toma

Still have a key?

I played Gods will be watching last night and the game already hook me, died by my own stupidity but will try again later.

You are the first, check your PMs.

So FTL is awesome so far. One question: in the tutorial, it says to move crew members, you click them and then click the room you want them to go to. In my first battle, I tried that but my crew members would go anywhere

Top Bottom