• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [July] Now Voting - Post 874!

Already have FS. What kind of game is SpaceChem?

And this is my full wishlist

SpaceChem is a puzzle game. It's unlike anything I've ever played and the screenshots don't really look fun. In essence you create a sort of machine that takes inputs of certain elements or molecules and spits outputs of requested molecules. It starts out simple enough but before you know it, it's asking you to do some ridiculous things and you feel great when you figure out a solution.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
SpaceChem is a puzzle game. It's unlike anything I've ever played and the screenshots don't really look fun. In essence you create a sort of machine that takes inputs of certain elements or molecules and spits outputs of requested molecules. It starts out simple enough but before you know it, it's asking you to do some ridiculous things and you feel great when you figure out a solution.

The OT for reference:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=422393

And there is a demo, make sure to check that out. Not that I would like or ever advertise SpaceChem.

*coughcough*

Glob needs better buttons for changing the colours so it would actually make sense.

...is what I thought until I read that you're supposed to play this with the 360 controller where the buttons already make sense.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
The Greenlight Collection has also been updated. Start at 'The Tale of ALLTYNEX' for the new games.

Not a lot of games were on Greenlight this month. Might have been a coincidence, but I'm wondering if devs are abandoning the service

Thanks!

And I think that has sort of to do with the size of the games. Some games got on immediately like Gunpoint, while other big games go through Greenlight like Zomboid and Gnomoria, while this months thread mostly has pretty small games. But still, its an interesting observation that could be a trend. I wouldnt say "abandon", but just from personal reference, I am more than satisfied with Desura as a service and dont rely on Steam as much anymore, maybe others feel similarly.

Glob needs better buttons for changing the colours so it would actually make sense.

...is what I thought until I read that you're supposed to play this with the 360 controller where the buttons already make sense.

Derp. Now that is a useful bit of information. Thanks.

Toma

Glop is a Steam game? I searched, nothing came up.

Let me guess, it's a puzzle platformer with color switching?

Correct, but its a free game on Desura. Check the 2nd post of this thread, its linked there.

Correct, but its a free game on Desura. Check the 2nd post of this thread, its linked there.
Cool, thanks. So Steam, GOG, Desura...those are the big three for online game stores? And Digipen always has cool games

Anyway, downloading Glob.

I must say, freeware games are great, my favorites being TAG, Nitronic Rush, Toribash, Sumotori Dreams, and Perspective

Toma

Cool, thanks. So Steam, GOG, Desura...those are the big three for online game stores? And Digipen always has cool games

Anyway, downloading Glob.

I must say, freeware games are great, my favorites being TAG, Nitronic Rush, and Toribash

Speaking of Freeware stuff... you should check the older threads (all linked in the OP) for them. Papers Please, Gorogoa and Zineth immediately come to mind. And yeah, Steam for AAA and big Indies, GOG for classics and Desura for Indies is probably about 90% of the market.

Techies

The game is an assymetric Deathmatch, in other words you gain points for killing stuff then you can choose to use those points to buy a Queen or the buy Bishop and to upgrade the bishop. Although upgrades aren't permanent, if you die you lose your character + upgrades, and if you as a Queen the enemy gets a lot of points.

JGDypJM.jpg

Game can get a bit messy some times in terms of blood and gore, although it's a bit comical if you enable floating corpses via mutators. Interesting bit of detail I noticed is that when you walk over a pool of blood you actually leave behind blood footprints.

1nTFttq.jpg

So far this is my favorite level in Rooks Keep, it's gorgeous, big and open so you have huge battles.

HiTcJLY.jpg

Here's a picture of me getting killed in a 1 vs Two Teams(consisting of 3 each) Last Man Standing match in the level above. Got a bit over confident, didn't work out to well, the bots like the gank in groups..
Game supports 32 players/bots and you have any combination of team/factions you want in the team modes.

4qy0Mu6.jpg

Lastly there's Chess, if you wonder why it's black and white, that's just me messing around with chain processing in the UDK after reading some tutorial on the web.
What initially attracted me to this game apart from playing their Ballistics mod for UT2004, was the Mod/Custom map support, Many games I see promise the feature, but few end of delivering (being a few years late), being vastly limited or it's on some custom build engine with zero documentation. Since I have a bit of UT3 experienced I decided to see if it actually works, and it does. Even ported over the low gravity mod from UT3, for myself. The jumping feels a bit off in this game I must admit.

b8bkVu0.jpg

Here's how it should look like:

O25jgHz.jpg

That's just the half of it, LAN, Dedicated Servers, Gamepad with Vibration support( I actually prefer playing this with the gamepad), you name it. Almost too many options/ features...
This isn't like other Unreal Engine games where your only stuck with Low/Medium/High/Extra in your Graphics tab.

That's only part of the "features", didn't even go into the actual gameplay. I want to actually play a proper match online before I comment on that. Although it does look like latency might be a big factor, at least for the Arena part of the game.

So far there's zero servers hosted, not even local ones which is my primary complain about the game. All I got to play online so far was one game of chess...

The game is exceptionally well done, but is it too much of a niche genre? Arena based games haven't been very popular lately. I'm actually starting to think I'm the only one who gets excited for games like this and Blade Symphony (Which I have to follow up on)

I tried out Glob on Desura and got some kind of runtime error last night. Reminded me of why I like Steam.

Also played Decalc, which is fun but started to wear off quickly by the end of the demo. Did vote to greenlight it though.

Toma

I tried out Glob on Desura and got some kind of runtime error last night. Reminded me of why I like Steam.

Also played Decalc, which is fun but started to wear off quickly by the end of the demo. Did vote to greenlight it though.

Using Steam doesnt save you from these issues though, even though I agree that I encountered stuff like that more rarely on Steam than on Desura.

Techies

Using Steam doesnt save you from these issues though, even though I agree that I encountered stuff like that more rarely on Steam than on Desura.

Worst problem I had was from a demo that wouldn't fully download.
Then again with Marvel Heroes I waisted 10Gig of my valuable limited data, trying to download the game only to have the download restart.

None of them are perfect, but Desura is pretty dang good considering GFWL and Origin which appears to serve no purpose but to frustrate.

It is a good idea to report problems like this via the comment sections, so the devs or desura can fix it.

Toma

Worst problem I had was from a demo that wouldn't fully download.
Then again with Marvel Heroes I waisted 10Gig of my valuable limited data, trying to download the game only to have the download restart.

None of them are perfect, but Desura is pretty dang good considering GFWL and Origin which appears to serve no purpose but to frustrate.

It is a good idea to report problems like this via the comment sections, so the devs or desura can fix it.

Definitely, I post comments all the time for issues. Just ranting on here without giving productive criticism helps no one.

I have an Asus X401A and I was asking on Gamefaqs about whether I can run certain games.

Best reply so far:
You can't run anything other than older games/newer indie games.
What you have isn't even considered close to a gaming quality setup
Would you agree? If so, that's good to know. Most of the games I had on my wishlist were indie games, anyway. I was able to run the Amnesia demo at medium quality and it performed nicely. I can run Vessel with no hiccups

When I got my laptop, it was mainly for school and I was only thinking of playing freeware games. As of Saturday, I'm addicted to Steam.

What about Don't Starve, Lucius, and Miasmata? I would hate to spend money on games and not even be able to play

Nillansan

tumblr_mo20k5Jp5P1re5958o1_1280.png

I have just seen this rather wonderfully bizarre looking adventure game on RPS.

Description said:
You play as Kaf Kafkaryan, a cowardly middle-aged Octopus Blood junkie who cuts tentacles for a living. Kaf has been having bizarre dreams and hallucinations about a world inhabited by twisted creatures. To help the inhabitants of his dreams, he has to learn more about the people of Octopus City and to engage in some illegal activities. Along the way he becomes entangled in a conspiracy with far-reaching implications for Octopus City.

Trailer
Site

The game is set to release sometime in 2014.

What about Don't Starve, Lucius, and Miasmata? I would hate to spend money on games and not even be able to play

I would be careful with Miasmata. The team that made it did the engine themselves and it's a little unstable. My computer should be handling it but it struggles with like 10-20fps and I've heard multiple sources having rigs that can max run Bioshock Infinity not be able to run it. They might have stabilized it since then (it was a while ago when I played it), but if you are interested I would recommend doing a bit of research or wait till it is cheap enough that if it is unplayable then it isn't too much of a loss.

All that aside, it's a pretty cool game though. The monster AI is really fascinating.

I think Rogue Legacy is as good of a game as I have played this year. My save corrupted and I had to start over, but I didn't even give a fuck.

I have an Asus X401A and I was asking on Gamefaqs about whether I can run certain games.

Best reply so far:

Would you agree? If so, that's good to know. Most of the games I had on my wishlist were indie games, anyway. I was able to run the Amnesia demo at medium quality and it performed nicely. I can run Vessel with no hiccups

When I got my laptop, it was mainly for school and I was only thinking of playing freeware games. As of Saturday, I'm addicted to Steam.

Did a quick search and your laptop specs looks similar to mine. So far it runs mostly of indie games, the one that didn't run well was Oil Rush.

Toma

So I went searching through my computer and my processor is an:
Intel Pentium B970 @ 2.30GHz

I have a 64-bit operating system

And this is a link about the Intel HD graphics:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Graphics-Media-Accelerator-HD.23065.0.html

I don't understand any the tech stuff of that link, so maybe someone else can say how my graphics card and processor compares to others and what the equivalent would be when I looking at game specs

Intel HD sucks pretty bad, but you are probably good on almost all Indie titles. I'd definitely avoid Miasmata though. You might get into some troubles with 3d stuff, but most should be fine. Feel free to ask again here if you are unsure about a specific title.

CzarTim

So I went searching through my computer and my processor is an:
Intel Pentium B970 @ 2.30GHz

I have a 64-bit operating system

And this is a link about the Intel HD graphics:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Graphics-Media-Accelerator-HD.23065.0.html

I don't understand any the tech stuff of that link, so maybe someone else can say how my graphics card and processor compares to others and what the equivalent would be when I looking at game specs

Might help you: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

Toma

That site doesnt have all that many indies outside of the big ones though. It doesnt even have Frozen Synapse or currently stuff like Rooks Keep. And its not all that on spot in the low graphics sector where it doesnt differentiate between the Intel Integrated boards at all. Amnesia for example says "Integrated graphics might not work" while medium settings apparently worked fine for him.

I'd say the best solution is to ask here, if in doubt, since we have knowledge about how good some games run on our setups (like he probably wont need to try Miasmata)

Hofmann

Ah right, I am just happy that I didn't regurgitate your post ;) I love your #screenshotsaturdayposts by the way.

Those odd titles usually get lost in the thread, so even the small updates are welcome, and this one is really weird, almost Jack King Spooner level of weirdness. The trailer you posted reminded me a bit of Sluggish Morss - one of the most bizarre adventure games I've ever played. If you're interested you can try it here for free.

The guy made Blues for Mittavinda from the OP, which is also worth playing - the ending is exceptional.

Has anyone here played Prison Architect?

I have never enjoyed or cared for management games. I always found them boring. But reading the dev's blogs, the updates, and a few RPS previews really piqued my interest in the game. My favorite aspect of the gaming medium is experiencing emergent, unscripted moments and PA sounds incredible in that regard.

And as someone who enjoyed Oz and loves crime genre/fiction, running a prison is much more appealing and intriguing than a SimCity or The Sims or some Tycoon game. And it looks much more involved than those games.

Do you think the game is too complex for someone with zero experience in the management genre? And do early access games go on sale? $29.99 is a big commitment, well for me at least because I only have $50 to spend?

Wok

Do you think the game is too complex for someone with zero experience in the management genre? And do early access games go on sale? $29.99 is a big commitment, well for me at least because I only have $50 to spend?

The game is not released yet, this is just an alpha build. I believe the early access is for people who want to back the devs.

Toma

Has anyone here played Prison Architect?

I have never enjoyed or cared for management games. I always found them boring. But reading the dev's blogs, the updates, and a few RPS previews really piqued my interest in the game. My favorite aspect of the gaming medium is experiencing emergent, unscripted moments and PA sounds incredible in that regard.

And as someone who enjoyed Oz and loves crime genre/fiction, running a prison is much more appealing and intriguing than a SimCity or The Sims or some Tycoon game. And it looks much more involved than those games.

Dont buy the game now if you only got 50$ to spend. It will probably take a year or two until they make a proper release and of course it will go on sale eventually. On top of that its still in alpha, so you also buy the occasional bugs with it and 30$ is really expensive for an Indie Alpha that you might or might not enjoy.

Did you enjoy the Minecraft style of play? Then I'd rather recommend diving into Dwarf Fortress style games like the very accessible Gnomoria (9,99 I believe):
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=480647

Another highly recommended suggestion would be Factorio if you want some management puzzles + base defending:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=527028

Both of these are fantastic games that are more than worth their money with tons of replay value. Check out the threads I linked for more impressions :)

Techies

Now that you mention it I can't find the system requirements for any of the games on Desura I just browsed through.

Might be a good idea for Desura to add a visible Tab where the Indie Devs can enter it. That's one way for the platform to improve.

Also on another note, anyone notice the rate at which Indies are popping up on there, it's pretty insane.

Toma

Now that you mention it I can't find the system requirements for any of the games on Desura I just browsed through.

Might be a good idea for Desura to add a visible Tab where the Indie Devs can enter it. That's one way for the platform to improve.

Also on another note, anyone notice the rate at which Indies are popping up on there, it's pretty insane.

Yeah, that rate is pretty great though if you are just trying to get a quick batch of indies to look at to find something new, like the Desura posts I regularly do:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=49108800&postcount=166

Most of the stuff I find on these Desura posts lands in the next thread if someone likes a game or if I find it interesting, so its useful for these threads too.

Dont buy the game now if you only got 50$ to spend. It will probably take a year or two until they make a proper release and of course it will go on sale eventually. On top of that its still in alpha, so you also buy the occasional bugs with it and 30$ is really expensive for an Indie Alpha that you might or might not enjoy.

Did you enjoy the Minecraft style of play? Then I'd rather recommend diving into Dwarf Fortress style games like the very accessible Gnomoria (9,99 I believe):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=480647

Another highly recommended suggestion would be Factorio if you want some management puzzles + base defending:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=527028
I have Minecraft on 360 and it's awesome, but as much as I love open world games and sandbox games, I rarely "finish" them or make much progress. That's why I prefer linear games. If anything, I have my eye on Don't Starve for the summer sale.

I'll probably only get four or five games from my wishlist during the sale. Definitely Don't Starve and Gunpoint. Maybe FTL but I'm still iffy on that game. Incredipede was a lot of fun when I played the browser version. Intrusion was one of my favorite flash games and the sequel looks even better

And I might get a game to save for trading. No one seems to want to trade for Torchlight.

There is currently a sale at Amazon, and they have some nice indie bundles.
Like this one:
at 10$

There is a list of sale items over here.

Also tried Gods will be watching. Died of hyperthermia twice. Already depressed. But it is a really good game. I like it yet dare not play again.
I don't know about the other games, but Mutant Mudds is really good. A lot of levels, difficulty secret levels, a cool foreground/background gameplay, classic-style platforming

Toma

I don't know about the other games, but Mutant Mudds is really good. A lot of levels, difficulty secret levels, a cool foreground/background gameplay, classic-style platforming

SpaceChem is a one of a kind game and heartily recommended. Too bad that most of the bundle isnt too hot, although some others are mildly interesting.

Hofmann

LIONESS – Hipster journalist back in action, hell yeah!

Curious Expedition – I've almost forgot about this one. Just to remind you. It's an adventure/roguelike/strategy/puzzle combo where you can play as a famous figure, like Tesla, Crowley and Darwin, just to name a few, exploring undiscovered lands on the back of a dinosaur – hope that made sense.

Ghost Song – I need to visit the ''other'' indie thread more often. This is a spectacular looking metroidvania being created by fellow Gaffer.

Daedalus – Described by the dev as top down view Quake 3.

Olav & the Lute – An adventure game inspired by LucasArts classic Loom. The main mechanics consists of playing certain melodies as your main tool to progress the game. For example key melody which is used to open doors, and when reversed to close them.

Deios – Some mysterious glitchventure game.

---------------------------------

Oh, and Increpare has released new game, can't wait to check it out.
http://indiestatik.com/2013/07/01/increpares-latest-freeware-weirdery-is-all-about-underpants/

SpaceChem is a one of a kind game and heartily recommended. Too bad that most of the bundle isnt too hot, although some others are mildly interesting.

Thanks to your unabashed evangelism of Space Chem you have prodded me to Google up on the game. It sounds utterly fascinating, genuinely unique and unlike anything I have ever played before. So thanks! I now have the Steam demo ready to try and I hope I like it as much as I think I will.

I know I keep saying this but I really am falling in love with pc gaming. The only downside for me is that it brings into sharp relief how safe and predictable console gaming has become. If it wasn't for the fact that I would miss my Nintendo games, I could easily see myself becoming a pc only gamer :/.

Thanks to your unabashed evangelism of Space Chem you have prodded me to Google up on the game. It sounds utterly fascinating, genuinely unique and unlike anything I have ever played before. So thanks! I now have the Steam demo ready to try and I hope I like it as much as I think I will.

I know I keep saying this but I really am falling in love with pc gaming. The only downside for me is that it brings into sharp relief how safe and predictable console gaming has become. If it wasn't for the fact that I would miss my Nintendo games, I could easily see myself becoming a pc only gamer :/.
I know what you mean. I've been a console gamer for all my 21 years, except for some freeware games. AAA games and more advanced indies I'll still play on consoles. I got Mark of the Ninja, Trials Evolution, and Super Meat Boy on XBLA. I just finished The Last of Us and I got Hotline Miami on PSN.

Now except for Splinter Cell Blacklist and GTA V, my gaming is going to be on PC and IOS. I love the indie scene. As much as I love AAA games and devs like Rockstar and Naughty Dog, I'm enjoying the inventiveness and awesome concepts found in indies even more. I might even get Hotline Miami on Steam, because that game is amazing

I know what you mean. I've been a console gamer for all my 21 years, except for some freeware games. AAA games and more advanced indies I'll still play on consoles. I got Mark of the Ninja, Trials Evolution, and Super Meat Boy on XBLA. I just finished The Last of Us and I got Hotline Miami on PSN.

Now except for Splinter Cell Blacklist and GTA V, my gaming is going to be on PC and IOS. I love the indie scene. As much as I love AAA games and devs like Rockstar and Naughty Dog, I'm enjoying the inventiveness and awesome concepts found in indies even more. I might even get Hotline Miami on Steam, because that game is amazing

I think it's that which I am finding so refreshing. I have a backlog of perfectly good console and handheld games here that I've not felt inspired to play for months. Now, however, I almost have too many exciting, enticing pc games to play! :)

Now you're making me Google up Hotline Miami!

The game has been described by Eurogamer as "a top-down f***-'em-up"

lol!

Reads Wikipedia further...wow, what a great dev [re piracy]. What a refreshingly realistic outlook. Not that I'm condoning piracy mind but it makes a nice change to much of the industry's attitude towards it.

Wow! That gameplay demo looks rather....visceral!

Googles for a pc demo......NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(.

I think it's that which I am finding so refreshing. I have a backlog of perfectly good console and handheld games here that I've not felt inspired to play for months. Now, however, I almost have too many exciting, enticing pc games to play! :)

Now you're making me Google up Hotline Miami!

lol!

Reads Wikipedia further...wow, what a great dev [re piracy]. What a refreshingly realistic outlook. Not that I'm condoning piracy mind but it makes a nice change to much of the industry's attitude towards it.

Wow! That gameplay demo looks rather....visceral!

Googles for a pc demo......NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(.
It's worth 9.99. But I guess wait for the summer sale. But damn it is an awesome game.
Here's my review of the PS3 version at my IGN blog. I talk about why the game is so good.
Hotline Miami is the best indie game I've played in years

This is the RPS article that sold me on the game

It's worth 9.99. But I guess wait for the summer sale. But damn it is an awesome game.
Here's my review at my IGN blog. I talk about why the game is so good.
Hotline Miami is the best indie game I've played in years

This is the RPS article that sold me on the game

Thanks, I'll read those tomorrow :).

I'm sure it is worth a tenner but I'm not exactly short of games to play so it's going to have to sit on the backburner for awhile unless it comes up in a sale at a can't resist price. I'm trying not to follow everyone else's huge Steam backlog ways but I expect it's probably a forlorn attempt :).

Top Bottom