• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [July] Now Voting - Post 874!

So I just learned that The Thief series is on Steam. Always wanted to try that series

Anyway, I just checked Deadly Shadows and it says it "does not support play on laptop computers."

If I have a gamepad, would I be able to play on my laptop?

So I just learned that The Thief series is on Steam. Always wanted to try that series

Anyway, I just checked Deadly Shadows and it says it "does not support play on laptop computers."

If I have a gamepad, would I be able to play on my laptop?

I think the "does not support laptop" means it wasn't able to run on the onboard Graphics Cards back in the day, I don't see a reason to an almost 10 years old game not being able to run on modern laptops. Someone had the same doubt http://steamcommunity.com/app/6980/discussions/0/828935672454631010/

I think the "does not support laptop" means it wasn't able to run on the onboard Graphics Cards back in the day, I don't see a reason to an almost 10 years old game not being able to run on modern laptops. Someone had the same doubt http://steamcommunity.com/app/6980/discussions/0/828935672454631010/
Thanks. Always wanted to play Deadly Shadows.

Do Thief 2 and Thief Gold still hold up? Might get the collection if they're still good

Also, any other good stealth games on Steam, preferably indie? I already know about Mark of the Ninja, Monaco, and Gunpoint

Do Thief 2 and Thief Gold still hold up? Might get the collection if they're still good

Also, any other good stealth games on Steam, preferably indie? I already know about Mark of the Ninja, Monaco, and Gunpoint

Never played the Thief series, the first one looks really outdated but if you play it considering the year of the launch and all the differences in game design back in the day, you aren't going to have a problem. I did it with the first Deus Ex and while I still haven't finished the game the experience has been amazing.

About more stealth games no idea. Maybe someone here know more games in that line.

Never played the Thief series, the first one looks really outdated but if you play it considering the year of the launch and all the differences in game design back in the day, you aren't going to have a problem. I did it with the first Deus Ex and while I still haven't finished the game the experience has been amazing.

About more stealth games no idea. Maybe someone here know more games in that line.
Cool thanks
Anyone know of good indie stealth games on Steam? Besides Mark of the Ninja, Gunpoint, and Monaco?

Vancha

Oh hey, you're on NeoGAF, cool! I left that comment. Great job on the series.

Yeah, been on this site for ages. But I do not post that often :) . and thank you for the king words. This thread is just one of my ways of finding great games to do on my channel.

McSpidey

It's time for an Assault Android Cactus mega-update :)

If you haven't seen it yet, Assault Android Cactus (on Twitter @AndroidCactus & Facebook) is an indie twin stick arena shooter being made by three Aussies collectively called Witch Beam. It's still in development but is scheduled to be released later this year.

I'm not making the game but my bro is the designer who earlier this year, and along with his artist/programmer friend, did the now cliche thing of quitting their jobs to finally make a game they knew would otherwise never get made. I'm going to post pretty pictures, some gifs and ask you to show it all the love in the world. They're also working on a public demo so you can see for yourself how Assault Android Cactus is pretty much the intense shmup you wished someone made, but it's not available yet.

If you've seen the insane trailer you might recognise it as "That game where the levels change dynamically", and they do.
floorchange.gif

Like this

But that's just one of the game levels. Like Bruce Wayne it is...more ;)
assaultandroidcactus_06.png
assaultandroidcactus_b_16.jpg

This is what more looks like. Warning: Examples don't contain all of the moreness

Development is progressing, designer Sanatana (GAF's Paz, @SanatanaMishra) and mythical artist/programmer Tim (GAF's Sycle, @ironicaccount) aren't getting much sleep right now as they prep a build for AAC's first real public outing at AVCon (in Adelaide, Australia. Locals are invited to drop in and play!). Their new sign arrived just in time!
jbwk9sFmx3rNJd.jpg

One of these is a human-android hybrid I call Tim. The games sole artist..
this still shocks me

The very latest addition to the game is a new enemy and level shown here in naked dev whitebox style.
rbomber2.gif

A new enemy approaches! This level isn't even it's final form, it gets real 'purdy at some point.

They also recently gave a talk to local Brisbane devs that went over well about why cactus plays like it does and how they manage to pull off the gameplay insanity, I mean intensity :). I hope they are eventually invited to talk at more events.

For those of you who know nothing of the game (hi everyone, nice to meet you), do yourself a favour and check out some of the previews on youtube.

The game is being made with a full single player campaign/story but feel free to bring friends for some 4-player local co-op action.
assaultandroidcactus_ss_130518.jpg

Each android features their own unique weapon set and dramatically different play-style.
The character line-up consists of Cactus who wields an assault rifle and flamethrower.
character_process_cactus.jpg

Holly: who has heat-seeking bullets and a powerful canonball.
character_process_holly.jpg

Lemon, with the spreadshot and rocket launcher.
character_process_lemon.jpg

And Coral with the shotgun and plasma ball, for those who like to get up close and personal.
character_process_coral.jpg

As you play through the game you'll unlock new characters and blow stuff up in all new ways. Just to tease one here is recent addition to the latest build, Starch
starch_missile.gif

This is what more moreness looks like in action

For people who like to look behind the scenes the devs are completely open about the whole process and keep a full development blog on their site www.AssaulltAndroidCactus.com which details all their secret sauce.
blocks.gif
bossqueen_05.jpg

Like how they make the dynamic levels and what machines look like when still in the 3D factory

This game is a love letter to fans of intense arcade action. If you like what you see they would truly love your attention, anticipation, hype, social media chatter, articles, interview requests, podcast invites, forum posts/threads and right now votes on their

Steam Greenlight entry
They're very approachable, real humans who love to interact with fans and gamers, which you can do on Twitter @AndroidCactus & Facebook. Help make them feel less lonely in the world, the last stages of development are always the toughest and it's already been a tough year for them so far, you can make a difference!

PS: The music is being made by none other than Jeff Van Dyck who you may remember from such games as the Total War series, Skitchin and The Need for Speed.

It's time for an Assault Android Cactus mega-update :)

If you haven't seen it yet, Assault Android Cactus is an indie twin stick arena shooter being made by three Aussies collectively called Witch Beam. It's still in development but is scheduled to be released later this year.
Well holy shit, that looks awesome. As a fan of dual stick shooters and a new Steam member, you got my vote. My laptop probably won't be able to run it, but it's always great to help out devs like you. Good luck.

McSpidey

Well holy shit, that looks awesome. As a fan of dual stick shooters and a new Steam member, you got my vote. My laptop probably won't be able to run it, but it's always great to help out devs like you. Good luck.

You may be suprised. What hardware is in your laptop? Performance is a high priority for the devs. They even went as far as to make a 60fps version of their trailer :)

You may be suprised. What hardware is in your laptop? Performance is a high priority for the devs. They even went as far as to make a 60fps version of their trailer :)
I have an Asus X401A. Mainly used it for school and some freeware games, never expected to get addicted to Steam, lol. So it's not the best gaming setup

Windows 7
Intel Pentium B970 @ 2.30GHz
Intel HD Graphics

McSpidey

I have an Asus X401A. Mainly used it for school and some freeware games, never expected to get addicted to Steam, lol. So it's not the best gaming setup

Windows 7
Intel Pentium B970 @ 2.30GHz
Intel HD Graphics

I just googled this and I think it's an HD3000 GPU. I've tested the newer HD4000 in a Surface Pro and the preview build ran at 720p res ok, but it's still in development and they're still working on it.

I just googled this and I think it's an HD3000 GPU. I've tested the newer HD4000 in a Surface Pro and the preview build ran at 720p res ok, but it's still in development and they're still working on it.
You lost me. I'm very non tech-savvy when it comes to computers. Kind of why I stuck to consoles for so long, didn't want to deal with not meeting spec requirements and upgrading my computer

So my laptop has a HP300 GPU? What does that mean?

Wok

You lost me. I'm very non tech-savvy when it comes to computers. Kind of why I stuck to consoles for so long, didn't want to deal with not meeting spec requirements and upgrading my computer

So my laptop has a HD3000 GPU? What does that mean?

It is the second generation of Intel integrated graphics processor.

We could measure smooth frame rates in games like Dead Space 3, World of Tanks, Fifa 13, Torchlight 2, Counter-Strike: GO reach, Diablo 3, and many older games, though usually only in minimal detail settings.

Basically, you can play AAA games but with minimal detail settings, and at maximum resolution 1024x768, and preferably 800x600. Indie games might ask for lower specs, which is good for your system.

69wpm

I don't know what engine they use, but is there any chance for a console (Wii U especially) release? I really don't want to play this on my 2012 MBA :)

It is the second generation of Intel integrated graphics processor.

Basically, you can play 3D games but with minimal detail settings, and at maximum resolution 1024x768, and preferably 800x600.
Huh, thought my laptop's graphics card was less powerful than it was. I ran the Amnesia demo at medium settings pretty smoothly. But I tried the Among the Sleep demo and it was choppy even at lower settings. Well at least I have a benchmark

So what would be the equivalent when I'm looking at game specs? Cause most list AMD and Radeon

McSpidey

I don't know what engine they use, but is there any chance for a console (Wii U especially) release? I really don't want to play this on my 2012 MBA :)

They have only announced PC/Mac/Linux at this point but I know they've posted on GAF about talking to Nintendo...and twittered to Sony reps, so you can join me in crossing my fingers :)

It's the Unity engine btw.

So what would be the equivalent when I'm looking at game specs? Cause most list AMD and Radeon

It's much lower than typical nVidia and AMD GPUs so I'm not sure what to compare it to.

Wok

Huh, thought my laptop's graphics card was less powerful than it was. I ran the Amnesia demo at medium settings pretty smoothly. But I tried the Among the Sleep demo and it was choppy even at lower settings. Well at least I have a benchmark

I don't know but the piece of advice you got was correct in my opinion:

You can't run anything other than older games/newer indie games.
What you have isn't even considered close to a gaming quality setup

Avoid recent 3D games, stick with older games, or some indie games. If you know you can run amnesia smoothly, it would be even better to know the framerate you had, and if it is above 30 fps per seconds, consider you have something equivalent to or better than the required specs:

Video Card: Radeon X1000/GF 6
Integrated graphics will likely not work. Low cost video cards may perform worse, or not work at all, even if they are much newer than older medium to high range cards.

I don't know but the piece of advice you got was correct in my opinion:

Avoid recent 3D games, stick with older games, or some indie games. If you know you can run amnesia smoothly, it would be even better to know the framerate you had, and if it is above 30 fps per seconds, consider you have something equivalent to or better than the required specs:
Yeah, that was my plan. Play the AAA releases on my consoles and use Steam for the indie scene and older games like the Thief series. Discussing this with other on Gaf, said basically I can probably play most indies expect for performance intensive stuff like Miasmata and Chivalry. I'm fine with that

McSpidey

I hardly play any twin-stick shooters but that is definitely the best looking one I've ever seen. Looks great.

As per my fake spoiler it's insane that one guy did all the graphics.

At a gamedev night at the Brisbane manabar one of the other developers saw it and commented that "it looks like a game with a million dollar budget" (lol). Not the case, this is just what you get when you mix extreme talent with passion and lots of long days/nights.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Fastest Indie thread so far :)

Nillansan

Those odd titles usually get lost in the thread, so even the small updates are welcome, and this one is really weird, almost Jack King Spooner level of weirdness. The trailer you posted reminded me a bit of Sluggish Morss - one of the most bizarre adventure games I've ever played. If you're interested you can try it here for free.

The guy made Blues for Mittavinda from the OP, which is also worth playing - the ending is exceptional.

Thanks Hofmann! I am not familiar with his work, but I will try them out :)

It's Cloudface, man. Cloud fucking face. The cloudiest face of 'em all.

Thanks but I'm none the wiser; I've never heard of him/her/it. Google has failed me too. Probably for the best, it's creepy!

Amazingly this demo for Thief: Deadly Shadows from 2004 is still downloadable!

http://www.gamershell.com/news_13340.html

I'm downloading it now as I too have always been curious about the game series. Why not give it a go too? You'll soon find out by trying it what your laptop [dis]likes. Also, I saw on another site that there are plenty of mods available for the game but their downloads are borked unfortunately. However, it's good to know if the game works for you and you like it enough to delve into the arcane world of game mods. I've never done that so it's all a bit mysterious and intimidating but I'm sure it's actually quite straight forward. Plus there are enough knowledgeable people here who would be kind enough to hold one's hand [figuratively speaking] through the process :).

As per my fake spoiler it's insane that one guy did all the graphics.

At a gamedev night at the Brisbane manabar one of the other developers saw it and commented that "it looks like a game with a million dollar budget" (lol). Not the case, this is just what you get when you mix extreme talent with passion and lots of long days/nights.

It is very impressive. All a bit too frantic for me though I'm afraid :(.

That Assault Android Cactus looks real solid, but at this point it needs a real competent pre-release demo. So much of those games is super dependent on how the gameplay feels on a moment to moment level so screenshots and previews only really take the hype train so far.

McSpidey

That Assault Android Cactus looks real solid, but at this point it needs a real competent pre-release demo. So much of those games is super dependent on how the gameplay feels on a moment to moment level so screenshots and previews only really take the hype train so far.

They've posted in the Indiegaf dev thread that they're looking at that, maybe via early access. Greenlight is such a bugbear in this regards because as a developer you can't access steamworks SDK services you might want to use (like leaderboards etc) until after you pass it, so they can't be in your pre-greenlight passing demo.

The entire game is designed around that moment to moment gameplay so I know exactly what you mean there. Everyone who gets their hands on the preview build has kind things to say at least, so they're looking forward to it's first public showing soon :)

Stealth Bastard Deluxe.
Forgot to mention that I have that game me.
Okay, so indie stealth games on steam, besides gunpoint, mark of the ninja, Monaco, stealth bastard, thief series. Not Splinter Cell or Hitman

Would Death to Spies be considered indie? I certainly have never heard of the series

Okay, so indie stealth games on steam, besides gunpoint, mark of the ninja, Monaco, stealth bastard, thief series. Not Splinter Cell or Hitman

Would Death to Spies be considered indie? I certainly have never heard of the series
Haha, well now you've stumped me :)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

If you are not sure whether something is or isnt Indie, feel free to talk about it here, just as a general rule.

Anyone here ever play Gateways? It never gets any love even from the niche indie crowd but it's really good!

I like the "Metroidvania meets Portal" tagline that everyone uses. It's got some mind-bending puzzles but it feels good to complete each one.

Soundtrack Recommendations – Hotline Miami

Featuring Sun Araw, M.O.O.N, Coconuts, Jasper Byrne, Perturbator, Scattle, Eliott Berlin and El Huervo

tumblr_md9aueEDK81rrvoer_1352524840_cover.jpg

I fucking love that logo.

https://soundcloud.com/devolverdigital/sets/hotline-miami-official

http://store.steampowered.com/app/219152/

In the grand scheme of things, music in any video game is the glue that connects the story and the theme with the gameplay mechanics. The reason why I love the Hotline Miami soundtrack is that is does this job so well. On one hand all the pieces ooze that instantly recognizable 80s neon electro homage which is exceedingly cool and fits the visuals. And on the other the music blends perfectly into the manic fast paced gameplay, forever cheering you onto the next killing spree with a siren or tribal drum like consistency. The action pieces almost sound just like a big crowd of people yelling ‘kill, kill, kill,’ while you do just that.

Hard to choose a favourite piece, but I am rather fond of the disco theme by Perturbator. I’m going to listen to this very tune while I upload this post.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYLxlIF7Wn0

Anyone here ever play Gateways? It never gets any love even from the niche indie crowd but it's really good!

Yes, It's good, I agree. The game gets real crazy with some of the time portal gateway thingy.

Toma

Could you add a screenshot to the post so I dont miss it? A general short 1-2 sentence description would be appreciated too.

And yes, I do plan on checking it out eventually, probably next month now when I added it to the august thread.

Noogy

I like the "Metroidvania meets Portal" tagline that everyone uses. It's got some mind-bending puzzles but it feels good to complete each one.

Oh yeah I love Gateways, it starts off doing some Portal'y type stuff, but it eventually breaks out and you are always learning a new mechanic, and it's a joy to explore. Definitely an underrated gem on Steam.

I'm curious about Expeditions: Conquistador and Knights of Pen & Paper. Anyone here have some impressions of these games that might entice me to purchase them?

I'm curious about Expeditions: Conquistador and Knights of Pen & Paper. Anyone here have some impressions of these games that might entice me to purchase them?

I think Toma played Expeditions: Conquistador and posted in one of the older threads, probably the Indie Games May thread.

klinkcow

Neo Member
I agree, and that is sort of the whole reason for this thread actually. Giving a hub for those who actually like to check out the smaller Indies as well and have some discussions about games that people otherwise would outright ignore. Like no one on Gaf would have probably heard about Papers Please, 2x0ng or Sentinel without this thread.

Let the Toma Indiecast commence!

.. man,making a podcast would be rad. So, who with podcast experience flies over to my german city to talk about Indies with me? :p

Toma, we could always skype you in to segment on MetaVendetta once a month if you'd be interested!

Toma

I think Toma played Expeditions: Conquistador and posted in one of the older threads, probably the Indie Games May thread.

Nope, but someone else indeed posted some impressions probably in the june thread.

CzarTim

I have Knights of Pen & Paper on the iPad. It's pretty fun, but not worth $10 unless they added a significant amount of content for the PC version.

Top Bottom