• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [July] Now Voting - Post 874!

CRszFvh.png

That idea came up during a discussion on feedback in this thread and its an awesome idea that hopefully gets picked up by you guys. A problem even this thread seems to show, is that people still likely avoid the very unknown titles that might not have all that great looking production values. The idea someone came up with was dedicating a day to playing any of the games from the past threads that you havent played yet and post your impressions about it, be it good or bad. That way we wont forget the games from the past threads completely and it allows us to check on some other games :)

Here are the past thread links:
I recommend checking for the games in the OP rankings of the april, may, june and july threads and checking out a game high up on the ranking that you didnt get to yet, since its likely that those are among the better ones anyway.

And just fyi, Sentinel would be applicable for this as well, and it currently enjoys a 97,50% off deal over on IndieGameStand. But there are plenty of free games as well in the older threads if you dont want to burden your wallet that much ;)

Quoting for new page.

Toma, you got space for one more game in that August thread?

Megabyte Punch - PC, coming August 6
637x358.resizedimage

Trailer | Official Site | Browser demo (requires gamepad) | Greenlight

Combine Megaman, Super Smash Brothers style melee and multiplayer, platforming, Minecraft-esque graphics, tight controls and expansive levels, and you'd get Megabyte Punch. Played the demo and it's a lot of fun, combat is fun and smooth, and there is tons of potential for customization and special abilities.

Burt

Megabyte Punch looks spectacular, been waiting on it for a while.

I need some help remembering the name of a game. It's a 3D third person sci-fi/western shooter set on a fairly desert-like planet. It has crafting for both items and structures. I'm pretty sure the developers/developer is/are Eastern European, maybe Russian. Don't think it's too far along in development, but I remembered it caught my eye and I can't think of its name to find it again. Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: Nvm, it's Exoplanet: First Contact. IndieDB's search function kicks the crap outta GAF's.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Survivor Squad - Played the demo, very tense, love the lightning effect, squad based tactics against zombies is always fun. Two issues: is there a way to set multiple waypoints while paused, and is there a way to move while looking in a different direction?

I think there was a way for the second you ask to by holding down ctrl or something when clicking to move, but I need to check again to verify that.

Also, loving that some more people got to check out Gorogoa for Wayback Wednesday. Such a gem of a game.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Toma, you got space for one more game in that August thread?

Plenty of space, will take finish up the thread tomorrow. More time for others to make a Wayback wednesday game comment. And thanks for everyone participating in WW so far. Love reading the impressions on the older games :)

Toma

Oh and yeah, I got 3 Card Hunter keys for the Beta. First 3 quoting this post will receive the key tomorrow. As always, please only grab the key if you are willing to play it and comment on it here in the thread eventually.

Quoting for new page.

And thanks btw :)

r3n4ud

Oh and yeah, I got 3 Card Hunter keys for the Beta. First 3 quoting this post will receive the key tomorrow. As always, please only grab the key if you are willing to play it and comment on it here in the thread eventually.

And thanks btw :)

May I have a key Toma? Would love to try it out...

Nevermind Toma. Just check my gmail and received a key!

Ok I couldn't find a voting template after reviewing the last couple pages and the OPs so I'll just list my favorite games (that I tried) from the OP:

Defenders Quest
Odallus: The Dark Call
Soundodger
Futuridium EP
Survivor Squad
Glob
Retroverse

And my impressions of the games:

Defenders Quest
Really enjoyable story and RPG-ish mechanics to go along with relatively run of the mill TD gameplay. I don't mean to imply that the gameplay is bad. While it feels reminscent of other Tower Defense games so far, there's a ton of polish here and it really is great fun.

Odallus: The Dark Call
Still only a demo obviously but man do these guys know how to do NES-era gaming. This game joins its sibling Oniken in already feeling like it could be placed alongside NES classic. Odallus in particular feels closest to Castlevania for me.

Soundodger
A beautiful flash game that you can fall in a trance with. It's really simple - move with the mouse to avoid incoming bullets (that kind of represent notes in the music) and hold down the mouse button for slow motion. The music is incredible, there's a bunch of content and the gameplay is hypnotizing. Go play.

Futuridium EP
Ok.. First thing's first, if your controls aren't working - use analog stick to move and you may need to remap buttons (when you first launch game). On a 360 control pad try A for fire and B for U-Turn and I guess Y for changing your POV. Now once you start a game, before you do anything else, go into first person mode by changing POV. Now enjoy the soundtrack and fall into yet another trance as you shoot blue cubes. If I wasn't in a rush to try some other games for this thread, I would have kept playing this for a while.

Survivor Squad
I'll admit - I'm still a bit confused on this one, but I really like it despite that. It's a top-down point & click survival game (maybe a bit roguelike-ish?). It appears you have to scavenge and survive zombie attacks and that "maps" are randomly generated. Something about this game just feels right. It's got great UI, great polish and a really interesting premise. I can't wait to dig in some more though right now I'm only playing the demo.

Glob
Bah! This one is as frustrating as it is fun. You turn platforms on and off by pressing the face button that corresponds with them. Glob is built for 360 pads so this means B turns on Red platforms and turns everything else off, A turns on Green, Y - Yellow and X - Blue. You use the triggers to jump. Really the controls are pretty perfect but man is this game tough for someone with as poor coordination as me. Honestly, it kind of gets reduced to a platformer version of Simon. But that's ok. It's a really unique concept that they flesh out really well.

Retroverse
Another game I didn't get enough time with and wasn't able to fully decipher but I was really drawn in by the visuals. The simple tile-based art reminded me of something like Chip's Challenge. As far as I can tell, this is another roguelike inspired game and the goal is to escape. You can shoot guards, grab gems and save other prisoners along the way. Your gems seem to be used as currency in stores though I'm not sure if prisoners contribute anything to your run other than points to add to your high score. Also, there's a column of nasty guards breaking through the walls on your left looking to get you so I guess you're going to be constantly moving to the right. I only played one playthrough so far but I intend to keep trucking on this one.

DeCalc
I also played this one. Can't say I enjoyed it but man did I want to. I'm a sucker for math games and puzzle games but this one did nothing for me. I didn't love having to drag and drop stuff with the mouse either. Definitely must have been built for touch interfaces but I would have preferred typing in numbers and operators with my keyboard.

Bought Binding of Isaac during the Sale, but finally played today (was fiending for a roguelike). What a unsettling little story, super smooth controls, a wealth of items and upgrades. Now I see what all the praise was about

Tak3n

Banned
A first look at 7 days to die is up on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2P3gr92Ap8

It is looking janky, but very very good, my only concern is the price when it gets green lit on Steam, as they have gone the Prison game route and made the alpha expensive at $35 on Kickstarter...

so they will come in for some flack on that

Tak3n

Banned
Toma

Guncraft is released on steam on August 9th, so you might want to add it

The date is upon us… Blocks will be raised and then promptly blown up. Guns will be smithed and then used to destroy other Craftys. Meteors will be dodged, bikes will be raced, lava will be avoided, helicopters will be flown, radars will be jammed, and plenty more chaos and destruction will happen, and it’ll all happen on STEAM on AUGUST 9th, 2013!!

There are several new features coming out for this inaugural launch date. Racing mode! Partner up with a friend, double dash style, or ride solo in an explosive effort to earn the #1 spot in a race. We’ll also be launching with Steam Achievements, Leaderboards, and TRADING CARDS! Remember, your gun can be immortalized as a trading card by buying the game now (you’ll get a Steam key at launch) and submitting an epic gun using the gunsmithing tool! Read more about that here!

Are you ready?! We sure are. We’re counting down the days. We can’t wait to get Guncraft in the hands of millions of players and watch them duke it out in the most expansive, customizable voxel FPS on the market. So join us on August 9th and let’s blow stuff up!

Toma

Game posts for the next thread finally done.

42 released, 44 soon. Also something small: Whenever someone mentions a new game as recommendation or "hey look"-post, please always include a screenshot. It takes ages to read through the whole thread again and I almost missed a few good looking game

Toma

Congrats to Kodeandgame winning the Glob contest, and Cth winning the Soundtrack contest. The soundtrack entries especially were fantastic writeups of their favourite soundtracks and deserve another mention here:

Soundtrack recommendation: THE BINDING OF ISAAC

a3111078532_2.jpg

Composer: Danny Baranowsky
Length: 112:27

Presumably it'll be suggested more than once, but for me BINDING OF ISAAC is the first that comes to mind.

LINK TO SOUNDTRACK:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJNQWpVf8Zg&list=PLB1A736FC282F9FA4

The soundtrack works for me on a number of levels -- it's instantly recognizable, yet it doesn't overshadow the game itself (if that makes sense). It seamlessly adds suspense to the game. Stylistically, the music covers a number of thematic elements -- terror, inspiration, childlike innocence, etc. In other words, one moment it's creepy and dark, and then you're filled with emotion like you're riding into battle hearing music from Conan. It captures the world fairly well and feels in many ways like early Danny Elfman stuff with a twist. It's epic without being pretenious.

FAVORITE TRACK:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwbK0Y1qnOY&list=PLB1A736FC282F9FA4
(SACRIFICIAL - Good representative of the themes/styles, has another version on the OST that's more traditionally old school sounding)

BUY IT HERE: (99 cents)
http://dbsoundworks.bandcamp.com/album/the-binding-of-isaac-2

EDIT:
Here's a link to GAF's 2011 OST thread which has some excellent suggestions and links:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457163

Soundtrack Recommendations – Hotline Miami

Featuring Sun Araw, M.O.O.N, Coconuts, Jasper Byrne, Perturbator, Scattle, Eliott Berlin and El Huervo

tumblr_md9aueEDK81rrvoer_1352524840_cover.jpg

I fucking love that logo.

https://soundcloud.com/devolverdigital/sets/hotline-miami-official

http://store.steampowered.com/app/219152/

In the grand scheme of things, music in any video game is the glue that connects the story and the theme with the gameplay mechanics. The reason why I love the Hotline Miami soundtrack is that is does this job so well. On one hand all the pieces ooze that instantly recognizable 80s neon electro homage which is exceedingly cool and fits the visuals. And on the other the music blends perfectly into the manic fast paced gameplay, forever cheering you onto the next killing spree with a siren or tribal drum like consistency. The action pieces almost sound just like a big crowd of people yelling ‘kill, kill, kill,’ while you do just that.

Hard to choose a favourite piece, but I am rather fond of the disco theme by Perturbator. I’m going to listen to this very tune while I upload this post.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYLxlIF7Wn0

Soundtrack recommendation: FTL

a0460013667_2.jpg

Composer: Ben Prunty

I wasn't going to nominate the FTL soundtrack to be my entry, it was supposed to be other game but after playing FTL for nearly 6 hours, I can say that music brings the atmosphere to the game and it's an important aspect for a good game, and Ben Prunty was able to capture the concept of sci-fi space and transform it in music helping to build the amazing experience that is play FTL.

It doesn't matter if the game has perfect gameplay and graphics if the soundtrack is poorly made or don't combine with the game it's a complete turn off for me.

Soundtrack playlist on Youtube

My favorite track is Civil (Explore) that track brings that feel of calm after an intense battle.

Buy it from Bandcamp

Soundtrack recommendation: The Path
3634772802-1.jpg.png

Composers: Jarboe and Kris Force

Jarboe (of Swans fame) and Kris Force (of Neurosis) team up for the procedural soundtrack of The Path. The OST combines renditions of the tracks with narrations of the tale of Little Red Riding Hood, highlighting the sensual and sexual. At times subtle, at times overt, it is an excellent dark ambient album.

The procedural medium is unique in it's musical abilities. Unlike other mediums, it can be different every time as tracks fade into oneother depending on the in-game context, bringing a completely new meaning to the concept of dynamics in music. To replicate this in a music album is impossible, and I would advice everyone to listen to it both in-game and on the album. Many a time when playing did I let go of the controls (as required) to revel in the auditory experience.

Whereas the medium is keen on graphical development, our audio is still in a mostly primitive state, having changed little since it's inception. There is so much more untapped potential (not that that isn't true for visuals but I feel it's all the more true for sound).

Recommended track: Forest Theme
A rerendition of Jarboe's Troll Lullaby, the main theme of The Path highlights very well the sexual tension and morbidity that befalls the game. Don't let the wolf into your bed.

Youtube playlist
Bandcamp

I'll contact the winners via PM later today.

Game posts for the next thread finally done.

42 released, 44 soon. Also something small: Whenever someone mentions a new game as recommendation or "hey look"-post, please always include a screenshot. It takes ages to read through the whole thread again and I almost missed a few good looking game
Damn, is that a record? Going to have one hell of an indie buffet this month

Toma

Damn, is that a record? Going to have one hell of an indie buffet this month

We are scratching the 50 mark in every thread, but July already had 46 released and was the biggest thread so far I think. And its an Indie buffet EVERY month, but next month we might have the record of the most free games.

We are scratching the 50 mark in every thread, but July already had 46 released and was the biggest thread so far I think. And its an Indie buffet EVERY month, but next month we might have the record of the most free games.
Even better :) Any estimates to when you'll be posting the new thread? Got some more games to post about but want to wait till the new thread

Toma

Even better :) Any estimates to when you'll be posting the new thread? Got some more games to post about but want to wait till the new thread

Later today. I am currently working on the voting list, and if we are lucky I'll have it up within the next 3 hours. If not, it might take a few hours longer since I am on the road then.

Toma

Random aside.

Remember that 08/08/13 is the release of Spelunky and Guacamelee?

Papers Please too.

Top Bottom