• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Spain talks PlayStation 4 [Yoshida: Better Visuals The "Gene" Of PlayStation]

Proelite

StevieP said:
Get a PC if all you care about is top-notch visuals. Microsoft won't save you either. Everyone on GAF has to start tempering their expectations or there will be a lot of meltdowns (and/or CGI renders debuting the systems).
Wut?

I am think with the previous specs I mentioned, we should see a HUGE jump in graphics. There won't be resolution change or learning to program in COMPLETELY (multithread) different ways that the generation before.

Gorgon

Takao said:
That is Sony Portugal speaking, and this was their major PSP release last year:

Patito_Feo_Caratula_PSP.jpg

"Ugly Duckling: A Beautiful Game"

Didn't know that people spoke Spanish in Portugal.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Here is what I think he, and Tretton are basically saying

"PS3 is amazing. You should go and buy one right now. It has amazing graphics, 3D, multimedia support with bluray. I can't imagine how some future console we might eventually make could possibly be better. Did I mention its amazing?"

StevieP

Banned
Proelite said:
Wut?

I am think with the previous specs I mentioned, we should see a HUGE jump in graphics. There won't be resolution change or learning to program in COMPLETELY (multithread) different ways that the generation before.

You get better results in a closed environment than you do with a PC, sure... but even the 2012 Fusion parts are using Northern Islands cores (i.e. the 6700-6800 series). Microsoft may customize and add additional features (or, take them away) but it all depends on launch time. If they're going late 2012 or 2013, they'll be customizing what's out there now or out there soon, like Llano.

Point being, it is doubtful that any of the 3 console players will be going high-powered next gen, due to a combination of cost and wattage requirements in a console environment. There will probably be a lot of disappointed people. I'm not talking about the ones who are expecting a decent jump, which a 550ti and 5670 will provide. I'm talking about the people who want Samaritan in real-time (which in itself as a demo is showing diminishing returns in full swing).

Ploid 3.0

What more do we need from this gen in graphics? Just add more memory, make it so games can run at 1080p and 60fps average, and great AA.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Corto said:
I appreciate the detailed explanation. You have to realize though that it's still your interpretation, and the other spaniards who posted in this thread who are disagreeing with you are disagreeing with the fact that you're giving your interpretation as opposed to the actual translation, and as we are seeing in this thread, interpretation differs according to the person who hears it. All sides of story are welcome though so thanks for this.
Occams razor time.

What is more likely: the VP of SCEE batting aside a question about PS4 non-committally, and moving the discussion onto their current selling hardware because that's what he is tasked to sell; or him secretly knowing all about PS4 and revealing juicy tidbits about how not that great it'll be?

Proelite

StevieP said:
Point being, it is doubtful that any of the 3 console players will be going high-powered next gen, due to a combination of cost and wattage requirements in a console environment. There will probably be a lot of disappointed people. I'm not talking about the ones who are expecting a decent jump, which a 550ti and 5670 will provide. I'm talking about the people who want Samaritan in real-time (which in itself as a demo is showing diminishing returns in full swing).
I don't think a sane person would expect the next gen console to run an unoptimized tech as well as it did on 3 Fermis. However, I fully expect some next gen games to "look" better than the Samaritan demo, which was a demo that I wasn't impressed with.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Vinci said:
Which 'one audience' are you talking about? Sony has lost billions of dollars this generation because they didn't create a system that appealed to the audience that bought the PS1 and PS2 in droves - the mainstream. Instead, they created an expensive, hulking behemoth that appealed explicitly to the most expensive audience in the gaming landscape to appease.

Their prior systems didn't sell over 100 million units because of 'hardcore' gamers.
They were kicked of by hardcore gamers. The only problem with PS3 was that they couldn't get the price down far enough, fast enough to snag the mainstream

Vinci

Danish
mrklaw said:
They were kicked of by hardcore gamers. The only problem with PS3 was that they couldn't get the price down far enough, fast enough to snag the mainstream

Every system is kicked off by hardcore gamers - even the Wii. The point is that they created a system to promote all of Sony's ambitions rather than something that made some economic sense. The $599 moment has no parallel in Sony's past within this industry. It came out of damn nowhere. It stood at such stark contrast that it made everyone question, at that moment, whether the company had lost its collective mind. [It had.]

I'm sorry but I call complete bullshit on this.

There is no way that this company would lose in power because they will undoubtedly lose their entire audience.

They'd have to have some real gimmick up to sleeve to appeal to the other audience. Nah, I can't believe this.

Dunlop

Vinci said:
The point is that they created a system to promote all of Sony's ambitions rather than something that made some economic sense. [It had.]

this.

now the question for them is was BluRay worth it?

Forsete

Gold Member
ssolitare said:
I'm sorry but I call complete bullshit on this.

There is no way that this company would lose in power because they will undoubtedly lose their entire audience.

They'd have to have some real gimmick up to sleeve to appeal to the other audience. Nah, I can't believe this.

Bingo.

A PS3.1 would be a fate worse than death for the awesome pawesome 1st party devs Sony possesses over.

Vinci

Danish
Forsete said:
Bingo.

A PS3.1 would be a fate worse than death for the awesome pawesome 1st party devs Sony possesses over.

So, lets say that Sony goes a half-step rather than a full-step in terms of how far they could conceivably go.... Same developers are working on what is still more powerful hardware that gives them additional things they can do.... Would you really not buy the system?

Proelite

DaSorcerer7 said:
I'm not surprised that they may take this route, considering the amount of money they've lost this gen.

The route they took last gen was anomaly for both MS and Sony.

MS: New technology with Xenos. 4 year development time means technology is rushed into the market.

SONY: Immature technology with Cell that had manufacturing yield rates of 20%. New technology with Blu-ray.

Question for the techies:

How powerful would a $200-300 AMD APU in 2012 be? Vice versa, a $200-300 (cell + Nvidia GPU).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Vinci said:
So, lets say that Sony goes a half-step rather than a full-step in terms of how far they could conceivably go.... Same developers are working on what is still more powerful hardware that gives them additional things they can do.... Would you really not buy the system?
Depends. The combination of 2014 and a slight step forward is worrying. In 3 years time even had will have run out of ways to argue over the same points

Jonm1010

Banned
Dunlop said:
this.

now the question for them is was BluRay worth it?

If we are talking about Sony taking a loss in order to get blu ray ingrained into consumers as the next gen movie format it most certainly was.

People seem to forget that with sony and Microsoft the be all end all isn't just making money on the console itself.

For Sony the ps3 meant they basically won the format war against hd-DVD and in a much quicker time. That victory alone is justification enough for Sony to develop an at-a-loss system. The benefits of wining that victory will resonate for that company for the next 4-10 years as pretty much every thing with the blu ray brand will gain money for Sony.

DaSorcerer7 said:
I'm not surprised that they may take this route, considering the amount of money they've lost this gen.

Again, when you take into account all the other revenue streams the ps3 opened up for Sony, is it really an overall loss? Winning the format war w/ Blu ray, online sales and marketplace growth, growing use of cell technology in other areas. Overall, despite early hiccups I think Sony ps3 venture was an overall success for Sony, just not for their games division.

Vinci

Danish
Jonm1010 said:
If we are talking about Sony taking a loss in order to get blu ray ingrained into consumers as the next gen movie format it most certainly was.

People seem to forget that with sony and Microsoft the be all end all isn't just making money on the console itself.

For Sony the ps3 meant they basically won the format war against hd-DVD and in a much quicker time. That victory alone is justification enough for Sony to develop an at-a-loss system. The benefits of wining that victory will resonate for that company for the next 4-10 years as pretty much every thing with the blu ray brand will gain money for Sony.

Considering they lost all the profit they ever made in the gaming industry, it's questionable whether Blu-Ray royalties will make up for it. That said, if they're able to nail the design and pricing for the PS4 and rise to the top of the heap again, then it's less of a concern and Blu-Ray might end up being worth the price.

Hard to say at this point though.

Angry Fork

black swordsman said:
I dont believe this at all.
Me either. It's just not in Sony's nature (at least the top bross at SCEJ/SCEA), and i'm glad it isn't because they're the last gaming hardware company left that cares about hardware. I think the success of PSV will determine whether or not they go hard with PS4, but we'll still see a significant jump. But if PSV is wildly successful then they may go all out like with PS3. They don't have to worry about Cell development or Blu Ray though, they can just put upgraded versions of those in PS4. It won't cost nearly as much and they can focus more on GPU/ram shit.

Proelite

Angry Fork said:
It won't cost nearly as much and they can focus more on GPU/ram shit.
Exactly. They can do so much more with the PS4 with half the early manufacturing cost of the PS3. The main limiting factor to power won't be price, but heat, power, and the limitations of the Cell architecture for PS4.

As for MS, they'll cater to the developers completely, and will use hardware (FUSION) that introduces new APIs such as DX12.

i-Lo

Sony's first parties in general pride themselves on producing gorgeous looking games. As such, I believe that it's all speculative at this point. If I am certain of anything after looking at the Vita, it's that they will make PS4 more developer friendly.

Controller and control schemes are the biggest barrier to entry, NOT power.

Frankly, if Sony goes Wii's route, as a free willed individual I will simply buy something else.

Jonm1010

Banned
Vinci said:
Considering they lost all the profit they ever made in the gaming industry, it's questionable whether Blu-Ray royalties will make up for it. That said, if they're able to nail the design and pricing for the PS4 and rise to the top of the heap again, then it's less of a concern and Blu-Ray might end up being worth the price.

I don't keep on all the profit news but isn't the bolded part just referring to they lost more on the ps3 than they earned on the ps2? And wasn't that article about three years ago?

Also consider though that unless Microsoft wants to lose the bulletpoint of being able to play hd movies on the xbox 720, they will end up paying a small percentage of all console sales and games to Sony for royalty fees. The bluray victory is a hell of a victory Sony. Even if the rest of the console division doesn't have as much to cheer about.

StevieP

Banned
Vinci said:

Can someone pull up that figure at how measly the blu-ray royalties for Sony really are? It was calculated a few months back and it's a tiny tiny drop in the bucket compared to the eradication of their entire gaming profit base.

Me either. It's just not in Sony's nature (at least the top bross at SCEJ/SCEA), and i'm glad it isn't because they're the last gaming hardware company left that cares about hardware.

Do... does everyone on GAF have the memory of a fish?

The bluray victory is a hell of a victory Sony.

No, it really really really isn't.

If the Vita is any indication, it's not that the PS4 won't be powerful - it's just that power won't comprise the primary selling point as it did with PS3.

If Sony do focus on widening the audience and coming up with an innovative control scheme, then it'd totally be a step in the right direction for them.

Still, as a corporation, they like money. As much as a bigger demographic is important, they wouldn't give up the hundreds of millions of dollars there are in the 'core' gaming market either.

Frankly, a PS4 that could do something like AC:B at 1080p/60fps would be fine with me as long as they made it so that I could play Uncharted: The Tale of Sully while my mum could turn it on and play an exercise game without my help.

Jonm1010

Banned
Proelite said:
Exactly. They can do so much more with the PS4 with half the early manufacturing cost of the PS3. The main limiting factor to power won't be price, but heat, power, and the limitations of the Cell architecture for PS4.

As for MS, they'll cater to the developers completely, and will use hardware (FUSION) that introduces new APIs such as DX12.
Yeah my saving point when I get so ticked off at the potential of Sony and Microsoft gimping nextgen to focus on gimmiicks, kiddies and casuals is that Microsoft still has a vested interest in pushing DX and the xbox has typically, at least in part, played a role of being a mass market promoter for it.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Veidt said:
Considering what happened this gen. It would be unnatural for Sony not to consider going the route of Nintendo. They've lost enough money on the Playstation 3 already.
Nintendo has ventured into a new market. Referred to, as per the words of Sony Spain in the OP; the market of women and casuals. They don't demand an exponential increase in graphics capabilities, or large scale games for that matter.
I believe we are entering an era where there will be two markets. The console market, consisting of an appeal to women, the elderly and the casuals in general. And the PC market, consisting of a customer base formerly raised on gaming and have a knowledge and expectation of exponential growth in processing power for gaming. These two will be separated at least 2 generations appart; while simultaneously appealing to two entire different markets.

I only want Sony and Microsoft to admit this condition of affairs already.
This is a TERRIBLE concept for the future of gaming.
The big three aren't thinking about abandoning the hardcore to chase women and the elderly, they want to expand the market for their products. Right now they appeal mostly to a niche, so next gen their aim is to appeal to everybody.
I suspect that one day the games industry will work a little like the film industry when it comes to system specs. Every ten years or so a consortium of studios and electronics companies band together to settle on a standard for the next home video format. The format receives all content going forward and players can be manufactured by any number of companies that pay for the license.
Such a system is one of the industry's best bet at achieving true mainstream acceptance and mass adoption. I can imagine a future where practically everybody buys a system capable of playing games in the way that they buy a DVD player today, and they would be comfortable knowing that any game that gets made in the next decade or so will work on their hardware. The end of the model of super cutting edge graphics every five years and loss leading will be bemoaned by those who complain about current gen console games hurting their eyes, but the benefits off the trade-off would be enormous. The gaming population encompassing practically everyone would lead to the medium developing in fascinating ways (and definitely not just into a stream of five-minute casual games like Angry Birds, as is the widespread fear here).

The future that Veidt envisions is akin to one where someone needs to buy different video devices if they want to watch both Clueless and Wild Strawberries.
I think the locked-down-spec future would actually be better for hardcore gamers too. It creates an environment where it is easy for people who might potentially be interested in more niche software to satisfy their curiosity.

For the development of the medium, gamers and the industry need to let go of the need for super cutting edge graphics and needs to look towards the best means off mass adoption: a locked down spec.
And yes, PCs would be able to support it too, just like they support DVD and Blu-Ray.

somuchwater said:
If Sony do focus on widening the audience and coming up with an innovative control scheme, then it'd totally be a step in the right direction for them.
I thought Move was their successful innovative control scheme?

CadetMahoney said:
I thought Move was their successful innovative control scheme?

Move is still half-baked. Any sort of new control scheme - even if it's an updated Move/Kinect combo - has to be built in at the level of the ecosystem for mainstream success. It can't be tacked on like Move is now.

Proelite

Jonm1010 said:
Yeah my saving point when I get so ticked off at the potential of Sony and Microsoft gimping nextgen to focus on gimmiicks, kiddies and casuals is that Microsoft still has a vested interest in pushing DX and the xbox has typically, at least in part, played a role of being a mass market promoter for it.
No matter how stingy MS and Sony be, they'll spend money in the following.

MS: Customized latest AMD APU that's DX12+ compliant.
Sony: Next generation cell, and as many of them as they can fit taking in consideration space, power and heat. A customized Fermi successor for consoles.
Both: Lots of ram. The bang for buck is too great here to gimp it.
Both: Having a total hardware package that can last a decade.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Krev said:
Should point out that this is assuming that things like OnLive aren't the future. If they are, then hurray, you can still get the most simple casual games and the most graphically intensive ones on the same device, the benefits are the same as the model I proposed, and everybody wins.

Proelite

Krev said:
Should point out that this is assuming that things like OnLive aren't the future. If they are, then hurray, you can still get the most simple casual games and the most graphically intensive ones on the same device, the benefits are the same as the model I proposed, and everybody wins.

I don't think MS and Sony will wait for an ubiquitous ultra high speed internet to be developed. That's at least a decade away.

But when that happens, it'll be glorious. Play the best games anywhere you want. No need to ever upgrade your consoles. No limitations to graphics.

apana

Jonm1010 said:

Again, when you take into account all the other revenue streams the ps3 opened up for Sony, is it really an overall loss? Winning the format war w/ Blu ray, online sales and marketplace growth, growing use of cell technology in other areas. Overall, despite early hiccups I think Sony ps3 venture was an overall success for Sony, just not for their games division.

No it wasn't. I'm pretty sure that argument has been debunked several times over.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
StevieP said:
Indeed. I fully expect both Sony and MS to pack as much hardware power in their next consoles as possible, with $400-$450 being the price limit. DX12 spec hardware will most likely debut in next Xbox, in my opinion. If they intend their consoles to be just some small update, there's literally no point in wasting R&D money on them, as they can just keep selling the existing ones by making them smaller, cheaper and prettier.

somuchwater said:
Move is still half-baked. Any sort of new control scheme - even if it's an updated Move/Kinect combo - has to be built in at the level of the ecosystem for mainstream success. It can't be tacked on like Move is now.

I've always been of the opinion that this is kind of the point. Introduce move for the PS3, find out what does and does not work, what users do and do not use it for- and release the move 2.0 to launch alongside of the PS4.

You can bet your sweet ass that microsoft is going to have an improved version of Kinect integrated into whatever the Xbox3 turns out to be.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
If Sony were still following their traditional Kutaragian path, this guys comments of a marginal performance increase would make sense, but Vita clearly shows an enlightened future for hardware design. So, again, nothing to worry about here.

The inefficiencies of Inefficient Mode Renderers has finally caught up with itself. They could do better ganging up a bunch of Nova A9600s together than trying to extend the PS3's architecture to the current thermal limits for PS4.

duk

Banned
wow 11 pages for some off wall comment made by some regional VP which prob doesn't know squat about ps4 development

Jonm1010

Banned
StevieP said:
Can someone pull up that figure at how measly the blu-ray royalties for Sony really are? It was calculated a few months back and it's a tiny tiny drop in the bucket compared to the eradication of their entire gaming profit base.

No, it really really really isn't.
Maybe your right on the profits from royalties, a link would be more helpful than assertions and a shitty attitude.

On my end a quick google shows that up until last year $30 was charged in royalties for all Blu ray drives. If Sony is a slightly sub 30% stakeholder that's still 7 to 9 dollars per every drive sold or put into a PC. Thats not including disc royalties or logo royalties or money paid when using the name for advertising purposes etc. I would say considering they have this format as the standard for the next 4-10 years that is in fact a significant achievement for Sony with a large bit of help from ps3.

Does it erase the errors of the ps3 as a whole? Maybe not. Your link instead of dickish responses could help partially clear that up.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Proelite said:
I don't think MS and Sony will wait for an ubiquitous ultra high speed internet to be developed. That's at least a decade away.
I'm talking about long-term directions for gaming. Obviously there's at least one more generation of traditional consoles to go before a major shake up happens. I think that shake up will be the handheld/console hybrid, but in time streaming may become viable.

Nizz

Ploid 3.0 said:
What more do we need from this gen in graphics? Just add more memory, make it so games can run at 1080p and 60fps average, and great AA.
I've been hoping for this for a while from next gen.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
duk said:
wow 11 pages for some off wall comment made by some regional VP which prob doesn't know squat about ps4 development

I think we're hungry for next gen. We didn't realise it until Nintendo showed the WiiU.

We won't survive until 2014, so they'd better all announce something next year with at least one of MS/Sony releasing winter 2012/spring 2013.

Vinci

Danish
Jonm1010 said:
I don't keep on all the profit news but isn't the bolded part just referring to they lost more on the ps3 than they earned on the ps2? And wasn't that article about three years ago?

No. They lost all the profits they generated from the PS1 and PS2 eras. All of it, gone. In three years. As for now: I'm not as up to date on their profit figures as they relate to the PS3, but it's not doing anything really noteworthy at the moment from what I can tell. I mean, I personally enjoy the system, but I don't see how anyone could color it as anything but a dismal failure as a product.

Even if the rest of the console division doesn't have as much to cheer about.

Sony itself doesn't have a lot to be thrilled about at the moment, quite honestly.

SykoTech

I wouldn't really mind to be honest. Sony is going to go after casuals and non-gamers the way Nintendo and Microsoft. We would see that happening with the Vita right now if they were planning to, and that clearly isn't the case. They're excellent 1st party lineup will still remain as strong a ever, and good 3rd party support is a given.

Also, while I like good tech, I don't particularly care for it to be bleeding edge. Sony will probably handle it jut like the Vita. Great tech, but for a price that isn't going to alienate everyone. Besides, if less advanced tech this means that I won't have to go through a "no geams" period because people already know how to develop for the platform, I'll gladly take that trade. Maybe SCEJ and Square will actually have a decent output this time!

StevieP

Banned
Jonm1010 said:
Maybe your right on the profits from royalties, a link would be more helpful than assertions and a shitty attitude.

On my end a quick google shows that up until last year $30 was charged in royalties for all Blu ray drives. If Sony is a slightly sub 30% stakeholder that's still 7 to 9 dollars per every drive sold or put into a PC. Thats not including disc royalties or logo royalties or money paid when using the name for advertising purposes etc. I would say considering they have this format as the standard for the next 4-10 years that is in fact a significant achievement for Sony with a large bit of help from ps3.

Does it erase the errors of the ps3 as a whole? Maybe not. Your link instead of dickish responses could help partially clear that up.

I still can't find the exact calculation because of the lack of a history search. Was it Nirolak or Stump that did a calculation based on the 2009's halved royalties and Sony's <30% share? Reading some GAF posting history by searching google, an educated guess placed it at about 80 million/year in a best case scenario type situation. Does that make up for the eradication of their entire profit base from the previous 2 generations?

Great tech, but for a price that isn't going to alienate everyone.

Yes yes and yes. Needs to be repeated.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Proelite said:
The route they took last gen was anomaly for both MS and Sony.

MS: New technology with Xenos. 4 year development time means technology is rushed into the market.

SONY: Immature technology with Cell that had manufacturing yield rates of 20%. New technology with Blu-ray.

Question for the techies:

How powerful would a $200-300 AMD APU in 2012 be? Vice versa, a $200-300 (cell + Nvidia GPU).
And add in 4 GBs of RAM.

USC-fan

Banned
Sony the move shit sucks. The Wii sport box sucks and real gamers dont WANT THAT STUPID SHIT! This is why no one plays with their wii any more or buys more than wii sports/resorts for it. We all know you dont make money on hardware but software..... think about it.

PS4 needs to be a beast if you want another 10 years.

Top Bottom