• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Thread of 2017

I don't know what defines good or bad, but attitude is a big factor. Whenever someone has critiqued one of your photos you have a litany of excuses and it's exhausting.

You can choose how you react to critique. Either accept it, or move on. If you aren't looking for critiques, either don't post, or make a statement before a photo dump saying you aren't interested in anything unless it's praise.

I'm not attacking you, I'm only sharing my observations. And I've always been told not to present a problem without bringing a solution, so that's why I'm throwing out different options.

Do you. But if you aren't happy, you aren't going to enjoy what you're doing. And if you don't enjoy what you're doing, then why do it?
It's got nothing to do with anybody on here. It's mostly just people I run into. Some people I know are fine with what I do, others aren't...I guess I just don't take criticism too well or I just read into it wrong. If anybody does want to critique on here I would be fine with it. I just always randomly run into the older photographer crowd, get critiqued and just read it as, "well this photo sucks." I think it's my attitude towards it and I honestly should get used to it and also find sometime to research a bit more into it. There's also that there probably isn't any art form more subjective than photography. What's good to one person is probably crap to another person so the whole thing just turns into a bit of a headache. I'm happy with what I do don't get me wrong on that one cause if I wasn't happy doing this I probably would have stopped by now. Though I will admit I hate Instagram politics. People act like you're just supposed to take pictures of one damn thing.

sneaky77

. I just always randomly run into the older photographer crowd, get critiqued and just read it as, "well this photo sucks."

I guess it depends what type of critique is it, is it constructive, then is ok, if its not then just dismiss.. or maybe they don't like your style, which is valid, but if you like your style then is also valid too. A critique is an opinion, you can learn from it if you feel some of it is valid, or ignore if its not what you were going for anyway.

I guess it depends what type of critique is it, is it constructive, then is ok, if its not then just dismiss.. or maybe they don't like your style, which is valid, but if you like your style then is also valid too. A critique is an opinion, you can learn from it if you feel some of it is valid, or ignore if its not what you were going for anyway.
There are things that I do try to take away from it. Guy kind of said that I should stop watermarking my photos and yeah, he's right since if somebody did want to steal my low quality highly compressed pic of of intagram then he'd just crop it out. I don't even think the guy dismissed my work since he liked a few on instagram, he just thinks I should be more selective with what I put up...which is kind of the hard part...still. I've gotten better but dang it's hard.

I tried re-editing but didn't really any of them. I'll try again later.

Here's te photos again:
2017-06-22_08-55-04 by Carl Sim, on Flickr

2017-06-22 09.25.08 1 by Carl Sim, on Flickr

2017-06-21 09.34.36 1 by Carl Sim, on Flickr

2017-06-22 06.57.17 2 by Carl Sim, on Flickr
The last two seem fine enough. Shooting against a heavily backlit source is a pain in the ass though. It might depend on your metering mode and exposure comp. Might be able to compensate that by dragging down the highlights and white clipping and you might have to mess about with the tone curves.

jokkir

The last two seem fine enough. Shooting against a heavily backlit source is a pain in the ass though. It might depend on your metering mode and exposure comp. Might be able to compensate that by dragging down the highlights and white clipping and you might have to mess about with the tone curves.

Yeah, I messed up on the metering a bit haha. Also, it doesn't help that I'm editing on one device and it looks totally different on other devices :\

RefigeKru

Banned
tumblr_orcf5i8Bd71tftrsho1_500.jpg

tumblr_orcag7rkWY1tftrsho1_500.jpg

tumblr_orcafiRQga1tftrsho1_500.jpg

tumblr_orcaeuf2Hc1tftrsho1_500.jpg

tumblr_op13cr5RL91tftrsho1_500.jpg

tumblr_op12oueYz51tftrsho1_500.jpg

vern

It's funny, I much prefer the first two. They have a nice feeling to them. The second two are a bit basic, and as much as I like shadows, the shadow on the last one isn't very attractive.. the frizzy hair in the back and front on the shadow, plus the fact that it looks like she's huge (again, in the shadow I mean) makes the picture not really work for me.

It's funny, I much prefer the first two. They have a nice feeling to them. The second two are a bit basic, and as much as I like shadows, the shadow on the last one isn't very attractive.. the frizzy hair in the back and front on the shadow, plus the fact that it looks like she's huge (again, in the shadow I mean) makes the picture not really work for me.
The first two are better pictures, but the last two are exposed better.

phoenixyz

Exported as sRGB. Photo looks fine in Microsoft Edge, windows photo viewer, on the same computer. Looks fine on my phone, it's only Firefox.

Does the photo also look faded if you use IrfanView? IrfanView ignores the ICC profile of the display, maybe Firefox does the same.

Hey y'all, don't know if this is the right place to ask this but I figured someone might have experienced this issue.

So I took some photos (around 60) and only about 20 show up, the rest show up as an error either in the camera or on my PC, when I click on the picture it quickly shows an image but then I get the error and I can't view the pictures. I've looked online and tried some recovery software but it doesn't seem to do anything.

I've found a few posts about using a Hex editor or converting them to Tiff/Jpeg (the original files are DNG) but I honestly don't know what I'm doing, any help would be greatly appreciated

I have a Pentax K-7 btw,

Took some Milky Way photos this weekend. Getting some practice in for a few backpacking trips into the mountains this summer. Trying to learn how to paint the foreground with light such that I can try to avoid having too much noise.

June 27, 2017 by Tyler Jacobs, on Flickr

June 27, 2017 by Tyler Jacobs, on Flickr

I feel like if I could just get Space X to launch a Falcon Rocket into space in front of the shot above, I'd have a real winner.

TFGB

A couple from my hols in Italy last week.D800E, 28-300 VR, Lee 0.9 Soft Grad.

Torbole, Lake Garda.

34678169604_9bdf806a4d_h.jpg

Santa Maddalena, Dolomites.

34724785104_514c899050_h.jpg

35379775331_c31cb077a2_h.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Amazing shots, TFGB. Would love to visit that place.

Love the boat shot, too. What was your shutter speed on that one?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Does the photo also look faded if you use IrfanView? IrfanView ignores the ICC profile of the display, maybe Firefox does the same.

finally got around to downloading irfanview, it looks fine there as well. Literally only firefox. I currently have the same thread open in edge and firefox and the difference is drastic to say the least.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
finally got around to downloading irfanview, it looks fine there as well. Literally only firefox. I currently have the same thread open in edge and firefox and the difference is drastic to say the least.

ICC v4 profiles might not be supported in your Firefox. They also did some changes recently with how their color management works.

https://blog.carlchapman.com/photography-workflow/firefox-color-management-changed/

http://cameratico.com/tools/web-browser-color-management-test/

Thanks, mate! I can't afford a new camera right now. Things are looking bad, so I'll have to keep up with my old Sony H50, haha.
If need be just do what I do and just PayPal credit stuff. But good luck man.
DSC_1300 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_1343 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_1376 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_1456 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSCF4561 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSCF4486 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSCF4416 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

Thanks! I wish I had the courage to shoot people walking on the streets like you do, haha! Great stuff!
I'm partially broken in the head and I've learned to just stop caring. I leave it to very specific places though. Vern is the one that really don't seem to care plus he's more personable than me. But thank you for liking the pics.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Many thanks Zefah!! ��

The boat shot was 3 seconds. ����

3 seconds?! Wow, crazy that the boat looks so sharp. I assume it was moving somewhat in the water. Is it because the camera was moving with it proportionally?

Lovely pano there DD!

One more from me from Venice. D800E & 28-300VR.

35572119966_05a810c53c_h.jpg

Love that color! Amazing shot.

TFGB

Cheers again DD!

3 seconds?! Wow, crazy that the boat looks so sharp. I assume it was moving somewhat in the water. Is it because the camera was moving with it proportionally?

Love that color! Amazing shot.
Many thanks Zefah!! Yea I had the camera resting on a handrail but the boat was pretty steady so the only real movement was the light waves. The VR seems to do a fairly good job too. Cheers again!

snaffles

Haven't posted pictures in forever, lots of nice stuff in here lately. I really don't spend enough time out shooting, only really take holiday snaps these days.

jokkir

Need quick advice.

I'm taking fireworks photos later for Canada Day and deciding what lens/camera to use. Either I'm using the A6000 with the 16mm-50mm f3.5-f6.5 kit lens (or something like that) or the RX100 that has a f1.8 lens.

Which do you think would be better? I'm worried about the a6000 kit lens being aboslute garbage especially in terms of taking photos in the dark but the wider frame is making me lean towards it. The RX100 has the better lens but the smaller sensor means I'd have lower image quality overall.

I did take fireworks with both before but I'm thinking of switching back to the RX100 since I liked the results overall.

Here's the photos:
A6000 with the kit lens:

RX100:

And for good mesure, I also have a Sigma 30mm f2.8

In this situation, what would you think? I know the RX100 has the better IQ compared to the A6000 kit. I just had problems using the kit taking too long of an exposure than I wanted (I know M mode but the conditions vary and I can't always get the perfect shot)

Also, I lied a bit and I'm not exactly using a RX100 (I'm using a QX100) so no shooting in RAW or even in Manual mode for me but I managed to take that fireworks photos I linked above and did it constantly

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The A6000 kit 16-50 lens? I really don't think it's that bad, especially considering the size.

The 1 inch sensor on the RX100 is a 2.7x crop compared to Full Frame. The APS-C is a 1.5x crop, so that's a pretty big difference. When shooting in lower light situations, you're definitely going to want as big a sensor size as you're willing to carry so that you can get less noise.

I don't think this really affects light intake (native gain) from the lens, but in terms of depth of field, F3.5 ~ F5.6 on a Sony APS-C becomes an F5.25 ~ F8.4 full frame equivalent and F1.8 ~ F2.8 on 1 inch becomes an F4.86 ~ F7.56 full frame equivalent, so the lenses aren't massively different in that respect.

The RX100 is super cool, and will probably serve you well, but I feel like the 1 inch sensor size is really starting to push it when it comes to image quality for the price.

Top Bottom