• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Thread of 2017

Xyber

Perhaps someone here can be of some assistance. Lightroom is driving me nuts right now.

So I had a bunch of photos imported to lightroom, edited and deleted a bunch and all was fine and dandy. Thing is, I had forgot to enable the option in the camera where it doesn't reset the file numbering when you delete files from the SD card, so I ended up with a bunch of duplicates too. But because I had deleted a bunch of files, there was no conflicts when I saved the new images to the NAS.

Now the problem is that LR does not want to show the new photo that was imported. It shows the old photo with the same name, even after I have batch renamed the entire folder so they all have new names and should technically be seen as all new images.

I also tried moving all the photos to a new folder and then importing them, still the same thing. I cleared all the cache stuff I could find in the options, it did nothing. I deleted all the catalog files and stuff in my documents folder, also did nothing.

I really don't want to re-install the entire thing just to fix this.. All I want is to do a fresh import of all the photos, why is this so god damn difficult to do!?

Edit: Nevermind, it was all because of preview caching on the NAS. It was thinking it was still the old photo, so the preview was an older photo but it's actually a new one that was added with the same name.

Oh well, this won't happen anymore now that I have fixed the file numbering on the camera..

brerwolfe

Edit: Nevermind, it was all because of preview caching on the NAS. It was thinking it was still the old photo, so the preview was an older photo but it's actually a new one that was added with the same name.

Oh well, this won't happen anymore now that I have fixed the file numbering on the camera..
For organizational purposes, create a new folder on your hard drive that describes the most recent batch of photos.

For example, I realize in taking pet photos all the time, so I have a folder titled "pets," or animals, then inside pets/animals I'll have the year, then inside that folder is "Animals Q1" for whatever quarter of the year we're in. As I add to that quarter, in Lightroom I'll right-click on the folder and choose "synchronize folder" and it updates with the new photos.

But it's important to organize all your stuff by category. Makes everything so much easier in the long run.

Xyber

For organizational purposes, create a new folder on your hard drive that describes the most recent batch of photos.

For example, I realize in taking pet photos all the time, so I have a folder titled "pets," or animals, then inside pets/animals I'll have the year, then inside that folder is "Animals Q1" for whatever quarter of the year we're in. As I add to that quarter, in Lightroom I'll right-click on the folder and choose "synchronize folder" and it updates with the new photos.

But it's important to organize all your stuff by category. Makes everything so much easier in the long run.

Yeah, I did make some folders for year/month and then add a new folder for the day I import new things now after going through this.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Nice. Where do you send your stuff for printing? I have an account with ProDPI, but I've never sent anything to them.

i had my own printers till we moved. I could do my own canvas wraps, framed paper prints. For metal or acryllic i use bayphoto.com or whcc.com

i had my own printers till we moved. I could do my own canvas wraps, framed paper prints. For metal or acryllic i use bayphoto.com or whcc.com
What does this run? I'm tempted to do like a photobook or something of my stuff. I'm tempted to buy my own printer but the good ones are expensive as fuck.

captive

What does this run? I'm tempted to do like a photobook or something of my stuff. I'm tempted to buy my own printer but the good ones are expensive as fuck.

need more specifics. But generally its all based on size and medium. an 8x12 paper print is significantly cheaper than a 8x12 canvas wrap a 8x12 metal print is about the same price.
Bayphoto and whcc can do photo books. I've never done it so i dont know how customizable you can make them. But they are both always offering 15-20% off their products. Pretty much never order anything unless your getting the percentage off.

need more specifics. But generally its all based on size and medium. an 8x12 paper print is significantly cheaper than a 8x12 canvas wrap a 8x12 metal print is about the same price.
Bayphoto and whcc can do photo books. I've never done it so i dont know how customizable you can make them. But they are both always offering 15-20% off their products. Pretty much never order anything unless your getting the percentage off.
I'd have to see paper sizes to be honest. Pretty sure I can get nice prints off my D810 stuff since some of them are saved as 200MB+ tiff files.

captive

I'd have to see paper sizes to be honest. Pretty sure I can get nice prints off my D810 stuff since some of them are saved as 200MB+ tiff files.
uh.. yea. That landscape on the last page was from my d800, its cropped to 4x5 format and printed at 24-30. printing at book size is nothing for modern cameras.

I print at 8x12 with Bayphoto all the time and they come out great, and having worked on the RAWs I know they can be pushed a good bit further.

And yes, printing is most certainly worth it.

sneaky77

I got some metal prints from my X-E2 that I had when I went to SF in 30x10 that look great.
I usually have gone with AdoramaPix for my prints no complaints there

uh.. yea. That landscape on the last page was from my d800, its cropped to 4x5 format and printed at 24-30. printing at book size is nothing for modern cameras.
Yeah I really need to print at some point. I'm curious as to what my editing style translates to in the real world and not my computer screen.

I went to Hawaii towards the tail end of May. Here are some of my shots.

hceWrHb.jpg
Link
I really enjoy flower photography!

bfsYGbo.jpg
Link
Polynesian Cultural Center exists as one of the most engaging cultural experiences you can participate in! I highly recommend going. This place holds the title for the best thing from the trip to Oahu.

eDer4TE.jpg

Link
It truly does look that nice.

x4xqokx.jpg

Link
Individuals from each polynesian island share their ancient culture with you. Some of it ends up extremely hands on!

pPx2x7o.jpg

Link
Movies get filmed here

QKSvLQx.jpg

Bigger
The ranch features many dramatic scenic locations. Many people, including us, venture to this spot to go on zip lines.

edwHNtb.jpg
Link
Insert coconut joke here.

dFmuFeI.jpg

Link
Our cabin sat right next to this shoreline. I loved watching the sunrise in the morning.

pcqeWxV.jpg

Link
Here's a tree that gave shade to our cabin. The size of the canopy blew me away.

yKz2beM.jpg

LInk
Waimanaloa Bay features some of the best coastline I EVER walked on. The sand, the water, and the views blew me away. We spent Memorial Day at this beach.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
RAW + Highest JPEG setting.

Some days I'll be shooting my kids playing with friends and take over a thousand shots. Instead of looking at every 40+ MB RAW file in Lightroom, I'll go through the JPEGS on the card and note which shots I like composition wise and actually got the focus right and import only those.

I do it just in case I have to quickly share something or email some samples after an event. Or just incase a card fucks up. I never work off the damn things.

Oh wait, I do it so I can share stuff I won't ever plan to edit on to Instagram. Things like food pictures, mostly.

First time playing around with RAW photos and editing tools (Lightroom trial version).

I took this picture at a friend's wedding with my a6000 (Sigma 30mm f1.4)

Now my question:
I enjoyed working with Lightroom. At first I was using Darktable and it was a disaster. The software wasn't working properly at all. I also tried Affinity Photo but didn't like it that much.
Soooo should I get Lightroom 6? I now that you can purchase it standalone and I really don't want to pay monthly fees for LR/PS/etc...
Are there any alternatives I should check out before buying it?
Btw. I'm using a macbook.

edit: resized the pic.

sneaky77

First time playing around with RAW photos and editing tools (Lightroom trial version).

I took this picture at a friend's wedding with my a6000 (Sigma 30mm f1.4)

You can check out Capture One, which I prefer, although I am on the minority and I heard decent things of On1 Raw which just had a pretty big update

You can check out Capture One, which I prefer, although I am on the minority and I heard decent things of On1 Raw which just had a pretty big update

I'm actually considering C1, especially since it's got a great deal for Sony users. Just worried about the migration from LR to C1.

captive

I had capture one when i had my phase one, i found editing, even the phase one files, more enjoyable in Lightroom. But its definitely a YMMV type of thing.

sneaky77

I'm actually considering C1, especially since it's got a great deal for Sony users. Just worried about the migration from LR to C1.

yeah it can be an adjustment if you're really used to the LR process, I don't use the catalog stuff, I rather have each import be its own session so for me it works well. I also don't convert to DNG, you can always try it out, they have a lot of webinars available on their youtube channel

I had capture one when i had my phase one, i found editing, even the phase one files, more enjoyable in Lightroom. But its definitely a YMMV type of thing.

I haven't used LR since version 4 or 5 so I am sure there's been lot of improvements made

I think the only time to not use Lightroom is if you're in the Fuji system. Since Lightroom knackers the Fuji raw file a bit and you have to use Iridient.

Thraktor

I'm still clinging on to Aperture for as long as possible. Thankfully Apple implements RAW support on an OS level in MacOS, so Aperture gets all the updates Photos does for new cameras like my A7II.

Well, there's a good few times that I practice tethered shooting with my A7II when photographing figures, and that's a strong suit of C1. It's also supposedly faster, something that can definitely be improved over Lightroom.

I need to test a demo of it or some such, and see how I like it, as well as of course some tutorials haha.

Well, there's a good few times that I practice tethered shooting with my A7II when photographing figures, and that's a strong suit of C1. It's also supposedly faster, something that can definitely be improved over Lightroom.

I need to test a demo of it or some such, and see how I like it, as well as of course some tutorials haha.
Ok, now the tethering makes sense since I believe that's C1's strong point. I never really dealt with tethering so I only use Lightroom as an editing system.

Yeah, LR needs a tether plugin for Sony, and it's.... well I guess it works, but it's not the most pleasant thing to use.

If someone told me it's super easy and reliable to add metadata for lenses that don't communicate with the lens though, I'd already have switched. Retroactively.

Yeah, LR needs a tether plugin for Sony, and it's.... well I guess it works, but it's not the most pleasant thing to use.

If someone told me it's super easy and reliable to add metadata for lenses that don't communicate with the lens though, I'd already have switched. Retroactively.
Sounds like LR is only convenient for Nikon and Canon shooters then...and I guess M43rd's.

Thraktor

What I want to know is why, when I set IS for a focal length, the camera doesn't log that focal length in the EXIF data for the shots? It would be almost trivial for Sony to implement, and would make managing photos so much easier for those of us who use adapted MF lenses.

What I want to know is why, when I set IS for a focal length, the camera doesn't log that focal length in the EXIF data for the shots? It would be almost trivial for Sony to implement, and would make managing photos so much easier for those of us who use adapted MF lenses.

If Sony hired me there's a lot of minor changes I'd make, that would turn the A7 series into truly, the ultimate vintage lens system.

If I wasn't already paying monthly for Creative Cloud I'd probably use C1 instead.

But as it is, I need Audition, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Illustrator and Photoshop so I can't really drop CC easily.

Sounds like LR is only convenient for Nikon and Canon shooters then...and I guess M43rd's.

Well, aside from tethering, everything else works great (aside from slow speed but that's hardly a camera dependant thing).

If I wasn't already paying monthly for Creative Cloud I'd probably use C1 instead.

But as it is, I need Audition, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Illustrator and Photoshop so I can't really drop CC easily.

All I use and have is LR and PS, and PS only because it gives me some advanced stuff LR doesn't. But apparently C1 has some of that anyway SOOOOO

One thing that does have me excited is that apparently C1 has focus masks that'll show me what is or isn't in focus just from the thumbnails, which would be amaaaaazing.

Well, aside from tethering, everything else works great (aside from slow speed but that's hardly a camera dependant thing).
I use Lightroom on my laptop, well not anymore cause my laptop is too damn slow to deal with my D810 files so now I just use my work computer.

I think this page of the thread has turned into a discussion better suited for the Camera Equipment thread.

I don't have anything new to add to the thread though. Just been seeing it pop up a lot with no new photos in it.

captive

part of the process of photos is processing them. I personally would prefer these threads not just be photo dumps. If you want advice or critique on a photo, feel free to ask. If you want advice on photo processing go ahead. Camera equipment questions should be in the camera thread.

sneaky77

part of the process of photos is processing them. I personally would prefer these threads not just be photo dumps. If you want advice or critique on a photo, feel free to ask. If you want advice on photo processing go ahead. Camera equipment questions should be in the camera thread.

I don't disagree on this

Fair enough. I just thought the discussion had moved away from processing photos itself into comparing software, which seemed more of an 'equipment' discussion.

brerwolfe

Fair enough. I just thought the discussion had moved away from processing photos itself into comparing software, which seemed more of an 'equipment' discussion.

It's what happens when the thread approaches the last bit of a page. People start conversing because they don't wanna post photos until the new page.

RayStorm

I disagree with you. To me this thread should be about photos: posting them, critiquing them and explaining how you made them. All centered on specific examples posted here.
The equipment thread on the other hand should focus on general techniques/equipment (hard- and software) and similar. So in essence "What software do you guys use to post process?" to me would not belong here but in the equipment thread. Whereas "How did you post process IMG_XYZ123, dear NeoGAF Member?" would belong in this thread.

Top Bottom