• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza KIWAMI |OT| Translator's Note: "KIWAMI" means "EXTREME"

Jimrpg

I LOVE the OT! Thanks for the mention! (well sort of, ill claim it!)

I have it preordered and will be able to play it along with everyone else this time (unlike last time where it got lost in the mail and I had to wait two months).

I'm really hoping it arrives in the next couple of days, as it seems like everyone has their copy already.

Rymuth

QgVYAM5.gif

I wonder how excessive the majima stuff is in this game. There's tons of trophies involving majima everywhere time.
Dear god that's beautiful and will get a lot of usage when Hokuto ga Gotoku gets released

Sage00

Once And Future Member
I do think it will be a bit jarring for people who jumped in at Yakuza 0 going from that Majima to this one. While Yakuza 0 is the earliest chronologically, in release order it's quite late, so by that time the character had received so many layers of characterization and depth. Majima started out as an extremely simple crazy joker-like character, almost throwaway in terms of the story, and he wasn't changed much if at all for the remake.

I ended up playing through these recently with my gf (who doesn't play games but enjoys watching story-heavy stuff). After 0 when Majima showed up in her words were "Wtf have they done to Majima!? I thought he was such a respectful Yakuza!"

I do think it will be a bit jarring for people who jumped in at Yakuza 0 going from that Majima to this one. While Yakuza 0 is the earliest chronologically, in release order it's quite late, so by that time the character had received so many layers of characterization and depth. Majima started out as an extremely simple crazy joker-like character, almost throwaway in terms of the story, and he wasn't changed much if at all for the remake.

Amusing choice of wording given who voiced him in the atrocious English dub of 1.

Jimrpg

My shop says they'll get it by tomorrow, so im desperately hoping I'll get it by Wednesday. If not I have to wait another 3 days after that because of public holidays :(

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Amusing choice of wording given who voiced him in the atrocious English dub of 1.
Yeah that was kind of intentional, and so actually a really good casting choice for the character depicted in 1/Kiwami. But could you imagine Mark Hamill joker voice in Yakuza 0? Haha. They really are two different characters completely. I know you could argue that's the point and in 0 he's intentionally holding in his true self (for example all the interactions with customers at the grand and his fighting style there). But it's just too much of a difference to believe.

I really think they should've rewrote his part in 1, but maybe that's just me.

aravuus

Not as excited as I was for Y0, but still very excited. Gonna pre-load it when I get home.

Game goes live at midnight but i need to wake up at 5 for work. Decisions decisions.

Go to bed at 7 or 8pm and wake up at 2-3am to play for a couple of hours before work.

That's what I did with Persona 5 lol. Waking up at 3:30am just to play a video game felt insane but I had to.

Jimrpg

Yeah that was kind of intentional, and so actually a really good casting choice for the character depicted in 1/Kiwami. But could you imagine Mark Hamill joker voice in Yakuza 0? Haha. They really are two different characters completely. I know you could argue that's the point and in 0 he's intentionally holding in his true self (for example all the interactions with customers at the grand and his fighting style there). But it's just too much of a difference to believe.

I think they knew what they were doing, when they wrote Majima for 0 and how it would tie back to 1, so I don't think its jarring, its different definitely, but i think the gap between the 80s to 2005 is enough of a gap that Majima's gone a bit crazy in that time.

Rymuth

Hamill doesn't just do Joker voice, you know. If he did do 0 I picture him using something close to Senator Stampingston

I got the game early on Saturday, which has never happened to me before. It took me until late Sunday before I stopped getting paranoid about failing sidequests. Definitely one of the best QoL updates the series made as it progressed.

And Majima everywhere fights feel much better than the Mr. Shakedown fights in 0. They are tougher than regular enemies and you do have to be careful about being prepared with weapons and healing items, but they aren't insanely difficult.

Normally go physical but I had extra PSN credit laying around so got this preloaded and ready to go at midnight. Counting down the hours!

I got the game early on Saturday, which has never happened to me before. It took me until late Sunday before I stopped getting paranoid about failing sidequests. Definitely one of the best QoL updates the series made as it progressed.

And Majima everywhere fights feel much better than the Mr. Shakedown fights in 0. They are tougher than regular enemies and you do have to be careful about being prepared with weapons and healing items, but they aren't insanely difficult.

Oh that sounds awesome. I like the Mr Shakedown concept but I eventually just avoided them as much as possible because it wasn't worth the time

Where can I get a gun? I need one for a Majima fight.

I don't know about buying one, but I got one from a coin locker key which I got doing a substory. Go to the arcade on Nakamichi St. and
get the UFO catcher toys the guy asks for. He has multiple requests

Been playing since Saturday and love it! As mentioned above the Majima fights actually are a lot of fun compared to Mr Shakedown and not quite as difficult, though he can still take you out if you're not careful.

It took me until late Sunday before I stopped getting paranoid about failing sidequests. Definitely one of the best QoL updates the series made as it progressed.

Does this mean you can't fail sidequests? Can you explain this for me as I've not played the later Yakuza games. Played 0 and Yakuza 1 & 2 on the PS2 years and years ago. What's changed?

Been playing since Saturday and love it! As mentioned above the Majima fights actually are a lot of fun compared to Mr Shakedown and not quite as difficult, though he can still take you out if you're not careful.

Does this mean you can't fail sidequests? Can you explain this for me as I've not played the later Yakuza games. Played 0 and Yakuza 1 & 2 on the PS2 years and years ago. What's changed?

In Y1, you could miss sidequests. I think after that you couldn't miss them anymore, but in Y4 at least you could potentially fuck up a sidequest. However, it still counted towards completion rate. I don't think there's an option to even fuck up a quest these days though.

Are you talking about Kiwami in general or something related to side quests specifically?

I may be mistaken and my memories of the first game are a little hazy but Yakuza on PS2 was brutal for sidequest. They were really finicky to activate, you only had one shot and could easily be failed, which wouldn't count as completed and would block any follow up if they were part of a quest chain.

I think Yakuza 2 or maybe 3 they took out failing, but depending on the outcome a quest could be finished (a bad ending) or completed (the good ending).

Anyway, I've been blundering my way through the sidequests so far and regardless of outcome they've been completed. Maybe I've just accidentally always gotten the best outcome.

Hasney

Put about 13 hours into it yesterday. i forgot how much the music evolvedup until 0 and hearing the old battle music is a bummer.

BUT, with all the sidequests on the map, I'm wasting so much time on them. It may have been just over 6 months, but I still missed having Yakuza.

In Y1, you could miss sidequests. I think after that you couldn't miss them anymore, but in Y4 at least you could potentially fuck up a sidequest. However, it still counted towards completion rate. I don't think there's an option to even fuck up a quest these days though.

In 0 the worst you could do is get a worse item reward. (But the "wrong" answers were often infinitly more funny, so it was worth it.)

Ahhh i just finished 0 and thought I would be burned out but reading about where Nishiskiyama and Majima is just want me to buy the game day 1.

So good !!

_Ryo_

Did you get the thread title from Easy Allies's Ben Moore? He named his Kiwami preview stream the same thing, I think.

Anyway. Game looks great and so does the OT, so greatjob OP!

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Very worried, pre ordered this off amazon on prime back in like may/ June time and it's suppose to arrive tomorrow but is yet to dispatch.

If it doesn't arrive might just cancel and buy digital.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Excited because this is the first time I've bought a new game on release week since, ummmm, shit, maybe MGSV in Sept 2015?
I'll still be behind a few of you guys as I can't rush Zero.

*Edit*
I bought Nex Machina on release day but apples and oranges. I meant like story driven, big epic retail games.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
QgVYAM5.gif

I wonder how excessive the majima stuff is in this game. There's tons of trophies involving majima everywhere time.
I can't properly express in words how much I love this gif.

Yakuza 3 was the last time you could screw up side quests and fail to fight Amon because of that. 4 and up they tweaked it so it was no longer the case. Mercifully Kiwami follows that lead and you can no longer fail side stories (can't wait for Kiwami 2 to implement this as well).

However, one thing I remember regarding side stories and the completion list:
There is a challenge on the completion list to get a certain number of weapons. Most can be bought or won from the arena however you need to be careful as a small amount are also rewards from side stories by getting the best outcome. You don't need to get every weapon in the game, so you can afford to miss a couple from side stories but just keep this in mind, unless that is you enjoy grinding for points in the arena over and over!

And speaking of arena points grinding. Best way to do so (once you aquire the Tiger Drop and have the Dragon style pretty much maxed out) is to go into the last arena tournament and really abuse the Tiger Drop. You clear enemies out in 2-3 hits if your lucky and get a shit ton of points.

Felensis

Banned
Even though I yet have to play 0, I'll pick this up tomorrow! Oh and Y6 with the glasses is already preordered, too! Yakuza <3

stryke

What the hell, is the game disc only available as steelbooks? I just want a simple case.

And for once digital is cheaper at launch, hmmm...

Rymuth

What the hell, is the game disc only available as steelbooks? I just want a simple case.

If it helps, buying digitally is a sure way to let SEGA know you're supporting the franchise.

Or at least it is, in my case, since games tend to exchange so many parties before reaching the brick and mortar store that I'm merely supporting the seller, not the devs.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
lol i have images turned off for data so the OP is just nothing.

excited to play this, yakuza 1 is one of my favorite entries in the series.

Hey ,if it's cheaper it's cheaper. Go for it. If you're in the US, then the game unlocks in about 16 and a half hours, but the pre-load is already available with the size of the game being less than 21 GB.

Though the game is available in a non-steelbook format as well, but I would imagine most of the day-1 stock would be in steelbook fashion.

On the final chapter now and wish there was an easier way to find substories. Want to go for 100% completion and it warns you that it's your last opportunity for free time.

jwhit28

I'm so excited for this after starting the series with 0. Kiryu is one of the most badass characters ever and I'm ready to see the Majima people described to me before 0 was out.

brawly

About halfway through, story and characters are a huge stepdown from Zero to me. Then again, Zero is about as awesome as it gets when it comes to actual yakuza bosses.

Here it's more civilian stories and characters again, which I really don't care about.

Top Bottom