• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza KIWAMI |OT| Translator's Note: "KIWAMI" means "EXTREME"

Bring up the pause menu and scroll to the very bottom.

I am now going to have to go back to 0 and see if it was in there as well xD And do the biggest facepalm ever, if it was.

Its not in 0. Out of the older games - only Kiwami and Ishin had saving in this style.

6 also lets you save anywhere, that's in addition to the game auto saving now (so you no longer need to remember to manually save!)

Its not in 0. Out of the older games - only Kiwami and Ishin had saving in this style.

6 also lets you save anywhere, that's in addition to the game auto saving now (so you no longer need to remember to manually save!)

Excellent.

Saving anywhere is barely a gamechanger, considering how small the world is and save points are around every corner.

They are now!

Game changer? No. Far more convenient? Yes.

SxP

Saving anywhere is barely a gamechanger, considering how small the world is and save points are around every corner.

You MOSTLY don't notice it, because you're right about save points never being very far away. However, now finally you can save in the middle of a story section when you get control for a limited time to walk from point A to B. This was especially noticeable in the beginning where (like in all Yakuza games) you walk two steps, get a scene, walk two steps, get a scene, etc. Previous games always forced you to keep playing whenever you were "stuck" in such a section until the chapter ended or you were thrown into the open world. And then you were walking to a save points and a million side stories kept triggering.

You MOSTLY don't notice it, because you're right about save points never being very far away. However, now finally you can save in the middle of a story section when you get control for a limited time to walk from point A to B. This was especially noticeable in the beginning where (like in all Yakuza games) you walk two steps, get a scene, walk two steps, get a scene, etc. Previous games always forced you to keep playing whenever you were "stuck" in such a section until the chapter ended or you were thrown into the open world. And then you were walking to a save points and a million side stories kept triggering.

Good point (about being able to save mid-mission) and very well put.

Can we just have a nice collective "fuck you" to the dev team over the two boss battles against gunwielders in this game?

I just beat the game this weekend and my God, those were both some "worst boss battle of all time" level shit.

Can we just have a nice collective "fuck you" to the dev team over the two boss battles against gunwielders in this game?

I just beat the game this weekend and my God, those were both some "worst boss battle of all time" level shit.

Does gun resist gear work in those fights?

Of course I already beat the damn game weeks ago.... :( I DO know you can save anywhere in 6, at least.

:p Live and learn, etc.

The only two shitty bosses were that dice game dude and his buddies and...I already forgot his name but the main villain. Not Nishikiyama, the other dude, you know, the main villain, the umemorable one.

Edit: Akuma? I really can't remember.

The only two shitty bosses were that dice game dude and his buddies and...I already forgot his name but the main villain. Not Nishikiyama, the other dude, you know, the main villain, the umemorable one.

Edit: Akuma? I really can't remember.

Akuma? Hmm... could the Dragon of Dojima take down a demon with his own two hands? That's certainly a cross over I'd like to see, right after my SNK crossover that has you fighting Geese as the end boss.

But to get back on point, your referring to
Jingu
who is indeed a rather annoying jerk to fight with his regenerating goons. I'll be packing some serious firepower when I tackle that fight just to be on the safe side.

wotter

Am I doing something wrong? (Majima related)

He was literally everywhere the first three chapters.
Then he got stabbed in one of the story missions.
Now I'm at chapter 11 and I haven't seen him since.

Re the last time you saw him:
this was when he was stabbed accidentally by one of his own guys, yes?

I've seen him loads of times since and I'm not on c11 :/ He does take a hiatus (around about
rank C
) but you get told of it. Have you checked text messages from Nishida as to where he was last seen?

EDIT: I'm on c7 and he's
on his break

Plum

Fucking hell what is up with the first non-everywhere Majima boss fight (after Chapter 1)? Seriously, I've got him to about half his second health bar and I literally can't get a single hit in. I dodge his lengthy-as-fuck combo only for him to dodge any attack I try.

wotter

Re the last time you saw him:
this was when he was stabbed accidentally by one of his own guys, yes?
Yes

I've seen him loads of times since and I'm not on c11 :/ He does take a hiatus (around about
rank C
) but you get told of it. Have you checked text messages from Nishida as to where he was last seen?
I'll check that, like I said, I haven't seen him since :/

Plum

So I'm playing on normal, if I just keep myself stocked up on health items will I be able to get to the end without doing too much more in terms of substories/Majima Everywhere? I'm reasonably levelled up and have 4 of the attack power upgrades.

The game's good but, frankly, I'm getting a little tired of Yakuza combat and I'd like to get this finished before next Friday.

evilalien

So I'm playing on normal, if I just keep myself stocked up on health items will I be able to get to the end without doing too much more in terms of substories/Majima Everywhere? I'm reasonably levelled up and have 4 of the attack power upgrades.

The game's good but, frankly, I'm getting a little tired of Yakuza combat and I'd like to get this finished before next Friday.

Yes, you can power your way through anything with enough healing items (sans the driving bit). Just put it on easy if you're tired of the combat though.

Plum

Yes, you can power your way through anything with enough healing items (sans the driving bit). Just put it on easy to make if you're tired of the combat though.

Wait, you can change difficulty? When I went to settings I didn't see that option at all, might have been because I was in a middle of a fight or something.

Thanks, though. I'll change it to easy and just power through the rest. The story's good but I guess I'm just not up for another 20 hours of such similar gameplay to Yakuza 0 (which took me around 30-35).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

He’s probably under a giant traffic cone.

Man that 5th Koamki training was *tedious* *a* *f*. And as for the 6th: nope.gif. No thanks. Not worth the hassle.

Yeah, he can be a bit of a pain at times for sure, but ultimately I found that the training is worth the hassle. Getting the tiger drop unlocked as a move is pretty much the most important thing for me in any Yakuza game. Its pretty much my favourite counter move in any game. Incredibly powerful and can shred anyone silly enough to throw a punch at you. Pretty much decimates 90% of bosses in the game - even high level Majima encounters and fighting arena battles are cake walk when you get it.

Plum

Car = Pacing
Wall = Chapter 11

giphy.gif

Plum

Just finished at around 18 hours.

As for the game itself, definitely not as good as Y0 but, then again, it didn't have to be. The story itself, whilst floundering in the middle and hitting that weird speedbump in C11, was an entertaining ride. You could definitely tell that it was a first effort by a small team on the PS2I'm glad that I played 0 before this, but it didn't feel like I 'had' to.

The gameplay though was definitely a step down. The reliance on minions for bosses and, near the end game, gun-toting enemies was frustrating. Majima Everywhere, whilst providing for some quite funny moments, was just too drawn out and when I saw that I had to play random minigames and complete this guy's training (which requires the completion of another random minigame) to actually 'complete' the Dragon tree I just lost all interest. The core combat, though, wasn't exactly changed too much from 0 and I loved it in that so it's not like I didn't like the entirety of my playtime with the game.

Some spoiler thoughts (some for Y0 as well):
- I really didn't expect literally every returning character from Yakuza 0 except for Majima to die.
- Amazing Grace was a strange, yet fitting, ending track
- The 'super evil mega villain' was so forgettable I can't even remember his name and I literally just finished. What makes it worse is that his boss fight was absolutely godawful. It completely throws out the semblance of balance gun-weilding enemies had for an absolute shit-show that had me tapping X every few seconds.
- The final battle with Nishiki was suitably hype as fuck
- The Nishiki flashbacks, from what I know of the original, were sorely needed; without them it felt like he wasn't there whatsoever

And most importantly:
- What the hell, they just left that puppy all alone in the middle of Kamurocho!

So a 7/10 for me. A good story let down by some tedious systems but, overall, I liked it quite a bit.

Just finished at around 18 hours.

As for the game itself, definitely not as good as Y0 but, then again, it didn't have to be. The story itself, whilst floundering in the middle and hitting that weird speedbump in C11, was an entertaining ride. You could definitely tell that it was a first effort by a small team on the PS2I'm glad that I played 0 before this, but it didn't feel like I 'had' to.

The gameplay though was definitely a step down. The reliance on minions for bosses and, near the end game, gun-toting enemies was frustrating. Majima Everywhere, whilst providing for some quite funny moments, was just too drawn out and when I saw that I had to play random minigames and complete this guy's training (which requires the completion of another random minigame) to actually 'complete' the Dragon tree I just lost all interest. The core combat, though, wasn't exactly changed too much from 0 and I loved it in that so it's not like I didn't like the entirety of my playtime with the game.

Some spoiler thoughts (some for Y0 as well):
- I really didn't expect literally every returning character from Yakuza 0 except for Majima to die.
- Amazing Grace was a strange, yet fitting, ending track
- The 'super evil mega villain' was so forgettable I can't even remember his name and I literally just finished. What makes it worse is that his boss fight was absolutely godawful. It completely throws out the semblance of balance gun-weilding enemies had for an absolute shit-show that had me tapping X every few seconds.
- The final battle with Nishiki was suitably hype as fuck
- The Nishiki flashbacks, from what I know of the original, were sorely needed; without them it felt like he wasn't there whatsoever

And most importantly:
- What the hell, they just left that puppy all alone in the middle of Kamurocho!

So a 7/10 for me. A good story let down by some tedious systems but, overall, I liked it quite a bit.

Don't worry, the puppy is fine. He's referenced/appears in Yakuza 2 briefly!

Yeah, he can be a bit of a pain at times for sure, but ultimately I found that the training is worth the hassle. Getting the tiger drop unlocked as a move is pretty much the most important thing for me in any Yakuza game. Its pretty much my favourite counter move in any game. Incredibly powerful and can shred anyone silly enough to throw a punch at you. Pretty much decimates 90% of bosses in the game - even high level Majima encounters and fighting arena battles are cake walk when you get it.

I guess they'd be worth it on the harder settings. (Though I shudder to think how much more difficult it would be attaining them in the first place!)

Anyway! I bested the gun one; ended up cheaping him by utilising throw over and over xD You brought it on yourself, Komaki!

I guess they'd be worth it on the harder settings. (Though I shudder to think how much more difficult it would be attaining them in the first place!)

Anyway! I bested the gun one; ended up cheaping him by utilising throw over and over xD You brought it on yourself, Komaki!

I mean, that old man is pretty evil on a good day, so cheaping the fight is the best option! Ditto for Amon (more on the original PS2 version), the best tactic to beat him was just using a lightsaber and stun locking him over and over until you beat him.

Ennosuke

After beating Yakuza 0 earlier this year, I can finally say, that I also beat Yakuza Kiwami. I took me only 15 hours and I definitely had a lot of fun. The ending was very emotional, but without playing Yakuza 0 it would be like a total different experience in regards to some moments. The story itself was not bad, but unfortunately not as great as the Yakuza 0 story. A shame that we can't play Kiwami 2 before Yakuza 6, but on the other hand Yakuza 6 looks extremely promising, also from a technical perspective.

I don't know what the Yakuza 6 story is about, but I guess, that the babysitting activity could be related to Haruka :) To be honest at the beginning of Kiwami I thought she would just be a girl, which will be gone at the end of the game. Did not expect for Kiryu to basically "adopt" her.

Kiwami 2 has arrived! Follow my twitch channel for a daily simultaneous Let's Play of Kiwami 2 and the original Yakuza 2 :

I'll do my best to translate and narrate some of the dialogue. I'll also be completing all sidequests in Kiwami 2 and side activities. Let's have fun!

Top Bottom