• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza KIWAMI |OT| Translator's Note: "KIWAMI" means "EXTREME"

In chapter 11, finally finished all the Majima everywhere aspects, just got a few CP bits to do (at over 90% as it is) before I carry on. Having a blast with it even if it feels like an expansion to 0.

I see some of you stuggling with the climax battles. I'm dreading those. I found some of them in Y0 insanely hard :(

Newboi

Damn, all truth right there. I got the Platinum in Yakuza 0 in a fever high, but I decided against that for Kiwami (and probably any other due to the tedium). Some of the Climax Battles from Y0 had me seething with anger, so you bringing them up reminds me of those times.

I'm curious to see how much shit gets flung your way in Kiwami's, so I may do a morbid check after I'm through with story.

If you want the best items in the game, you'll need to beat all of the Climax battles in this one unfortunately.

It's pretty odd that (Chapter 1 to 2)
the cafeteria assassination attempt from Sera
was explained through a substory. On one hand, I appreciate when the main narrative can have a connection to the substory. However, given their connection to Kazama I think explanation may have served better closer to the main story rather than a late game sidequest that some may not run into.

That was actually a new addition to Kiwami, I agree that it'd have been nice to have it as a main part of the story, I'm just glad that they added it as it was quite interesting.

Also, not sure if you've reached it yet, but there is another optional side story that explains another plot point that was seemingly ignored early on in the story, namely
The reason why there was another seemingly identical Mizuki kicking around in Kamuracho

Ultimadrago

That was actually a new addition to Kiwami, I agree that it'd have been nice to have it as a main part of the story, I'm just glad that they added it as it was quite interesting.

Also, not sure if you've reached it yet, but there is another optional side story that explains another plot point that was seemingly ignored early on in the story, namely
The reason why there was another seemingly identical Mizuki kicking around in Kamuracho

Yeah, I just completed that second one! That I found a great use of a substory to gain closure on an important, but not-all-so pressing subplot to the story.

Newboi

Yeah, I just completed that second one! That I found a great use of a substory to gain closure on an important, but not-all-so pressing subplot to the story.

How do you unlock that subplot? I didn't bother completing all sub-stories on my first go since I wanted to play through the game again with items rewarded from the Climax Battles.

On another note, I have to say that Kiwami was surprisingly disappointing storywise compared to Yakuza 0. Plot points were incredibly rushed with characters you barely got to know or understand. If I didn't play Y0, Nishikiyama's entire character arc in this game would have been completely irrelevant to me without playing Y0. Also, introducing an obnoxiously evil villain at the end with little to no character build up was hilariously bad. I also wish Yakuza 0 actually had an arc with Nishiki's sister so we could at least feel some sympathy and connection to his plight. Nishiki's also barely in the game. I was expecting him to be a very involved villain, but you hear more about him in passing rather than experience his villainy.

When it comes to the actual sub stories and experience, these were not as good as Yakuza 0. I have to admit that though I disliked money being tied to experience and abilities in Y0 at first, it definitely grew on me because it not only fit story wise; it made money and side activities useful in general. Money in Y1 is almost pointless. there's really not much reason to accumulate it other than trying to get achievements. Also, allowing the Dragon of Dojima skill tree to level up infinitely gave use for the access cash you built up. In Y1, once you max out the skill trees, there's nothing to do with the experience you gain.

Kiwami is still a very enjoyable game overall, but I was honestly underwhelmed by it after leaving the euphoric high that was Y0.

Ultimadrago

How do you unlock that subplot? I didn't bother completing all sub-stories on my first go since I wanted to play through the game again with items rewarded from the Climax Battles.

On another note, I have to say that Kiwami was surprisingly disappointing storywise compared to Yakuza 0. Plot points were incredibly rushed with characters you barely got to know or understand. If I didn't play Y0, Nishikiyama's entire character arc in this game would have been completely irrelevant to me without playing Y0. Also, introducing an obnoxiously evil villain at the end with little to no character build up was hilariously bad. I also wish Yakuza 0 actually had an arc with Nishiki's sister so we could at least feel some sympathy and connection to his plight. Nishiki's also barely in the game. I was expecting him to be a very involved villain, but you hear more about him in passing rather than experience his villainy.

When it comes to the actual sub stories and experience, these were not as good as Yakuza 0. I have to admit that though I disliked money being tied to experience and abilities in Y0 at first, it definitely grew on me because it not only fit story wise; it made money and side activities useful in general. Money in Y1 is almost pointless. there's really not much to spend it on other than trying to get achievements. Also, allowing the Dragon of Dojima skill tree to level up infinitely gave use for the access cash you built up. In Y1, once you max out the skill trees, there's nothing to do with the experience you gain.

Kiwami is still a very enjoyable game overall, but I was honestly underwhelmed by it after leaving the euphoric high that was Y0.

Supposedly it's available from Chapter 10, but it only proceeded for me in the final chapter. Without Haruka, go to West Park
Purgatory, The Florist's giant room at the end of the hall
and it should automatically have you speaking to that person who gives you the information to go off of.

I agree with you on the other comments. A friend told me that the storytelling shows its roots and age even through the Yakuza 0 exterior. That aside, the mechanics and design decisions you brought up I had issues with as well. If there's any takeaway, I guess we can be glad that Yakuza 0 may be more reflective of how the series and its team has grown since. I almost forget that it's a remake of the very first title sometimes.

So I'm at Chapter 4, and thus far I haven't found any prompts or opportunities for Kiwami finishers.

Even in that miserable
Shimano
fight, I stayed in Rush mode and didn't get any prompts. I guess that's because it's tough for the Heat bar to stay in Kiwami gauge early on.

Ultimadrago

And there goes (All Substories Finished Spoiler)
Amon
. I'm surprised how much easier they were here than Yakuza 0. Though I wasn't quite as keen on what they were capable of back then and again: "Tiger Drop them to Hell" works wonders.

Edit: Game completed: 58 hours. 238 Street Battles. Majima Rank: SSS. Completion: 78%

So I'm at Chapter 4, and thus far I haven't found any prompts or opportunities for Kiwami finishers.

Even in that miserable
Shimano
fight, I stayed in Rush mode and didn't get any prompts. I guess that's because it's tough for the Heat bar to stay in Kiwami gauge early on.

You need to unlock those in the Soul Tree of your abilities. Essence of ____ for all three basic styles will allow you to gain the prompts for most of the boss enemies. They were unlocked in the Prologue, but lock again after after that.

Mesharey

Even in that miserable
Shimano
What Ultimadrago said, and you need to be in the same glowing color fighting style.

Those story related substories are the only really good substories in Kiwami and strangely enough some of them can get pretty dark. Not at all like the wacky hijinks substories you usually get.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
zombie majima is never going to spawn for me. I've SSS'd him and finished everything else needed, but this guy just won't do his zombie thing. damn you majima.

How do you get past the goddamned car chase?

Playing on hard and spent 2 hours on this.

Would reloading a save and changing the difficulty to easy make things easier?

Mainly having trouble with the truck guys.

And there goes (All Substories Finished Spoiler)
Amon
. I'm surprised how much easier they were here than Yakuza 0. Though I wasn't quite as keen on what they were capable of back then and again: "Tiger Drop them to Hell" works wonders.

Edit: Game completed: 58 hours. 238 Street Battles. Majima Rank: SSS. Completion: 78%

You need to unlock those in the Soul Tree of your abilities. Essence of ____ for all three basic styles will allow you to gain the prompts for most of the boss enemies. They were unlocked in the Prologue, but lock again after after that.
So that why Kiwami doesnt show. Thanks!!

OrionX

That Chapter 10 boss fight was one of the most annoying battles I've ever experienced in a game. Way to ruin a dramatic story moment by throwing a
dual pistol-wielding Neo wannabe at me who can dodge 95% of my attacks! Poor Kiryu-chan must've been shot at least 100 times before I finally finished him off. Mashing X to stand back up every 2 seconds sure was fun.

But more importantly, the dramatic twists!
Goddammit Nishiki Reina just wanted you to love her why did things have to turn out like this!! ;_;
Shit just got real.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
That Chapter 10 boss fight was one of the most annoying battles I've ever experienced in a game. Way to ruin a dramatic story moment by throwing a
dual pistol-wielding Neo wannabe at me who can dodge 95% of my attacks! Poor Kiryu-chan must've been shot at least 100 times before I finally finished him off. Mashing X to stand back up every 2 seconds sure was fun.

But more importantly, the dramatic twists!
Goddammit Nishiki Reina just wanted you to love her why did things have to turn out like this!! ;_;
Shit just got real.
i hated that fight too :|

evilalien

How do you get past the goddamned car chase?

Playing on hard and spent 2 hours on this.

Would reloading a save and changing the difficulty to easy make things easier?

Mainly having trouble with the truck guys.

Yes, changing the difficulty will make things easier.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know yet they messed up the mad-dog and breaker aura colours in this game?

OrionX

Wow I was totally not expecting a cabaret girl dating sidequest to end with Kiryu convincing
a lesbian not to give up on women while giving her a lecture about the toxicity of gender stereotypes.
Good stuff! lol

Also I finished the main story. Such a great follow up to Yakuza 0. The ending was predictable but just as dramatic and emotional as I've come to expect from Yakuza.
Haruka's smile must be protected forever.
I'm left wanting to see what happens with these characters next, so I really hope they bring Kiwami 2 over here. I need more Majima in my life.

loudbill

I beat the main story the other day. Such a great game!!
Of course it's very similar to Yakuza 0, but im completely fine with that. I knew it would be like that when i bought the game.
Yakuza 0 was my first yakuza game, and the story had me HOOKED. It just keeps getting better. I can't WAIT for the remake of Yakuza 2.

Fuck that car section on legendary. I am so angry at it I've had to walk away for now. I hate those sections on any difficulty frankly but on legendary they are awful and the last place you can save being so far away? Who the fuck designed this?

Those story related substories are the only really good substories in Kiwami and strangely enough some of them can get pretty dark. Not at all like the wacky hijinks substories you usually get.

Sounds like I missed a few narrative-related substories. Honestly I just got tired of dealing with a Majima fight every 5 minutes and decided to go back to Zero to finish up content there. I wish there was an item to just prevent Majima from appearing, as I would like to play stories in Kiwami that are actually good.

SxP

Sounds like I missed a few narrative-related substories. Honestly I just got tired of dealing with a Majima fight every 5 minutes and decided to go back to Zero to finish up content there..

This is me as well, though I already finished up 0 and went to another game.

Normally I clean up every substory in Yakuza games. But when Majima is at SSS rank he has so much health. It takes forever to take him down and there's no reward at that point anymore. You can't rank up, after 4 fights on SSS rank you don't get any new moves, you don't need the EXP. Worst of all, I still needed Idol Majima for some moves. But of course... he never appears. Adding to the frustration. It made me want to finish the game quickly and move on. Just a terrible design decision.

stn

I'm on Chapter 8, fought Majima so many times he's taking a break. What will I have to do to make him appear again?

Finally finished the game and out of all the games I've played (3, 4, 5 and 0), this is definitely the weakest. The story was okay but since I already knew all the major plot points, it was difficult to care. It also had a lot less new stuff in it and the substories were all forgettable except maybe the DILF one.

They also forgot to
show Akiyama at the end.
Such a wasted opportunity.

Segaswirl

Fuck that car chase, I've been within one shot of the end before being rammed.

Easily the worst part of the game. Even though I had the talisman and golden gun for my legend run, having to go through the whole section before the actual car chase over and over was total arse. I would have probably thrown in the towel if I didn't have those two items.

Shin-Ra

When I got through the car chase, Kiryu took all the damage up until the last third or quarter of the whole thing and then I had plenty of car health left for the zombie* truck driver.

*this bit reminds me of the intro to Resident Evil 2.

stn

Beat it last night! Took just under 20 hours. I was originally going for maxing out the Dragon style, but I got a bit bored of the Majima stuff by the end. Also, not much surprise in the story given that I beat the PS2 version when it released many years ago. Still, this was great overall. Looking forward to Kiwami 2 (especially because 2 is my favorite in the whole franchise).

Blizzje

I have completed three sets of climax battles and it showed some items becoming available. Bob says he doesnt have anything for me. Do I need to create a new premium adventure save or something?

Finished after 26 hours. Didn't finish all the sub stories because the game was starting to wear thin. Echo the statement that 0 is the better game. Still I'm glad to have picked up the series.

The second to last boss fight can get in the sea though. So damn cheap.

3 chapters down. Really the only thing I'm missing is my wider moves list from the end of 0. Going to take me a while to unlock all my moves (heat or otherwise) again. Thankfully after finishing the Japanese version a year ago I at least knew which powerups to unlock first - so the main 3 Kiwami moves have been unlocked + the first climax heat gauge. That should give me plenty to play with for a while!
Also, I'd completely forgot that they added a
Majima fight
near the end of the third chapter, it totally makes sense and was a nice extra.

Looking forward to the city opening up soon. All story progress will no doubt grind to a screeching halt as I do some of the side stuff + Majima battles!

At this rate though I should have the game 100%ed in a month or two, so it'll be just in time for my import copy of Kiwami 2 to turn up!

I will never be okay with this game until this is answered. :mad:

Really?

Majima returns to his status as an adversary in Kiwami, so does the intentional color of his auras to match that. Mad Dog style Majima, while an adversary, has had a purple heat aura since at least Y4, maybe earlier. Obviously his breaker style had to change in order to accommodate.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Really?

Majima returns to his status as an adversary in Kiwami, so does the intentional color of his auras to match that. Mad Dog style Majima, while an adversary, has had a purple heat aura since at least Y4, maybe earlier. Obviously his breaker style had to change in order to accommodate.
thanks for clearing that up! it's kind of an inelegant solution, because the Kiwami-heat auras still map to the old colours -- but yeah.

(i've not played four.)

Um, is there anything I can do to make
hostess Majima
appear? I got the text message regarding the situation ages ago but, when I visit via MEB guy, I always get some other girl and I can't go in without MEB guy.
I've read online that you know he's in there by an announcement he makes when you go by the club, but I must be a good few hours and Majima levels beyond when I got the message and still nothing. Halp?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Um, is there anything I can do to make
hostess Majima
appear? I got the text message regarding the situation ages ago but, when I visit via MEB guy, I always get some other girl and I can't go in without MEB guy.
I've read online that you know he's in there by an announcement he makes when you go by the club, but I must be a good few hours and Majima levels beyond when I got the message and still nothing. Halp?
For me, just showed up randomly when I visited Diamond (I think -- it's the one in the south-east, I might be misremembering the name) and chose to spend an evening there. The clerk inside played his normal intro and everything.

Keep in mind, if Majima is currently in an end-of-rank phase, he won't show up there. I wasted a lot of time on this. He was actually hiding under a giant traffic cone.

For me, just showed up randomly when I visited Diamond (I think -- it's the one in the south-east, I might be misremembering the name) and chose to spend an evening there. The clerk inside played his normal intro and everything.

Keep in mind, if Majima is currently in an end-of-rank phase, he won't show up there. I wasted a lot of time on this. He was actually hiding under a giant traffic cone.

The club's name is Shine, but otherwise yeah this is exactly what I did.

Thank you!

I kind of messed up because after my first Shine visit I reloaded an old save. (Rina didn't do it for me and I'd be damned if I was wasting money and gifts on her!) Went back again, did the Rina thing, visited Shine *again*, *boom*.
His
Club Asia
appearance was far less of a palaver.
The look on Kiryu's face xD
. Return of Asia almost makes up for the lack of retro arcade games d(^,^)b

ohyescoolgreat

Neo Member
Just finished this game after playing it pretty much nonstop over the past 4 days. Kiwami is my second Yakuza game after playing Y0 a few months ago and I have some conflicted feelings about it. The story was great and I enjoyed the new characters that appeared in this one.

Majima everywhere got pretty dull and kind took me out of the game when I would come across him 3 times within 30 minutes. Sure, it's a literal application of Majima Everywhere but it makes the encounters less special when he just becomes a mini boss version of 'goons' or 'nouveau riche'.

Some of the combats are absolutely miserable. Whoever thought it was a good idea to increase the number of guns in this over Y0 deserves to spill hot coffee on their legs. Some of the match ups felt like such a drag having to do tiny chinks of damage whilst chugging health items constantly - most annoying example were the Akai brothers and the dual pistol wielding guy who poses the question "how many i-frames in a roll is too much?".

I sound a bit negative but I think my overall experience was a good one, it's just the combat soured it a bit for me which is odd since I really enjoyed the fights in Y0.

For what's next, I don't have a PS3 and don't want to get one just to play through Y2-5. So with Y6 coming out early next year, should I hold off to play Kiwami 2 when it releases a year + after 6 or should I catch up by watching some let's plays?

Had a hilarious match on Mahjong the other day. Just started Kiwami and it was one of the first things I tried since I love the mini game. Third round of my first Mahjong game and I manage to get a spectacular hand basically ticking off/furthering all of the Mahjong goals in the game bar the straight hand! Can't believe how lucky I was.

Now mainly focusing on Majima so that I can get some of his fights out of the way in the beginning of the game - mainly to level up my fighting styles, I'd really forgotten how more simple the side stories were compared to even the ones that pop up in Yakuza 2 - where they start to embrace the more crazy antics of Kamuracho residents instead of focusing on just how everyone is trying to scam everyone else.

So I beat this game maybe 2 or 3 weeks back. It was amazing I loved it, but I found that I was having a much harder time in combat. Especially when multiple enemies were fighting at once. Was anyone else having a harder time with the combat?

Also on top of that if anyone has any youtube links for combat tutorials or anything like that so I can watch and try and get better that'd be super helpful!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So I beat this game maybe 2 or 3 weeks back. It was amazing I loved it, but I found that I was having a much harder time in combat. Especially when multiple enemies were fighting at once. Was anyone else having a harder time with the combat?

Also on top of that if anyone has any youtube links for combat tutorials or anything like that so I can watch and try and get better that'd be super helpful!

it was way harder for me too (after playing zero). in the end, the upgraded beast form ended up being pretty powerful while in heat mode -- you can tank most hits without being staggered. that, and the counters you can unlock in dragon mode from the trainer were pretty good, but getting the pictures from the colosseum was just mindless busy work -- i wouldn't bother with them.

it was way harder for me too (after playing zero). in the end, the upgraded beast form ended up being pretty powerful while in heat mode -- you can tank most hits without being staggered. that, and the counters you can unlock in dragon mode from the trainer were pretty good, but getting the pictures from the colosseum was just mindless busy work -- i wouldn't bother with them.

Yeah I ended up relying on beast mode everything as well and I felt like I was cheesing out the combat instead of getting better. Oh and I could never figure out how to use those counters and parries in dragon mode. I tried a bunch of times but I couldn't do it so I said fuck it.

Top Bottom