• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What went wrong with Marvel vs Capcom 3 ?

morrigan doom

zero

game felt stagnant. amazingly, marvel 2 never felt this stagnant. probably because the characters were just more cool to watch/fun to play than morrigan, doom, wolverine, zero...
Cable, Magneto, Storm, Sentinel, Doom, and Wolverine were the most used characters in 2. MvC3 has more variety despite the characters you mentioned being used a lot. PR Rog used to play a killer Felicia and Tron Bonne.

Skilletor

morrigan doom

zero

game felt stagnant. amazingly, marvel 2 never felt this stagnant. probably because the characters were just more cool to watch/fun to play than morrigan, doom, wolverine, zero...

What you're telling me in this post is that you never watched competitive MvC2, but you have watched a bit of competitive MvC3.

Cable, Magneto, Storm, Sentinel, Doom, and Wolverine were the most used characters in 2. MvC3 has more variety despite the characters you mentioned being used a lot. PR Rog used to play a killer Felicia and Tron Bonne.

Wolverine was mid tier in MVC 2, no?
I'd seen more people playing with BB hood,iceman,black heart than Wolverine.

morrigan doom

zero

Top level Marvel 2 play was way more stagnant than 3 ever was IMO. Almost every team that was competitive consisted of at least Sentinel, Storm, Cable, and Magneto. Then you'd see your random cyclops, captain commando, psylocke(Yipes), and a few other characters sometimes mixed in with those 2 of those chars mentioned above.

Lulubop

Top level Marvel 2 play was way more stagnant than 3 ever was IMO. Almost every team that was competitive consisted of at least Sentinel, Storm, Cable, and Magneto. Then you'd see your random cyclops, captain commando, psylocke(Yipes), and a few other characters sometimes mixed in with those 2 of those chars mentioned above.

Lol what? Those characters are not randomly low tier pics just because. They're top tier assist and you'll always see them.

Shadoken

I dont get the point of this thread.

MvC3 sold just as well if not more than MvC2. MvC3 did a pretty good run at EVO. Sure it might not last as long as MvC2 , but FGC/EVO has blown up so much compared to 2008. You cant keep such an old game like MvC when there are so many newer games that keep coming out.

Yazzees

It never came to PC thats whats wrong.

VDvqUvo.jpg

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You cant keep such an old game like MvC when there are so many newer games that keep coming out.

Except Marvel's community has collapsed hard over the past two or three years. The local scene around here has dropped Marvel completely and focused on Street Fighter and Guilty Gear(! Shock and Horror for me since they never wanted to play XX before XXX hit) over Marvel when during SF4's rocket rising/"revival" of the genre they played Marvel for a good year or two.

It has to be more than licensing.

I mean, the game already exists and it's a quality product. It can't be that difficult to strike a new deal.

Mesoian

Except Marvel's community has collapsed hard over the past two or three years. The local scene around here has dropped Marvel completely and focused on Street Fighter and Guilty Gear(! Shock and Horror for me since they never wanted to play XX before XXX hit) over Marvel when during SF4's rocket rising/"revival" of the genre they played Marvel for a good year or two.

I mean, of course. We've known Marvel was never going to change for years. I personally asked the head of Marvel's gaming division if they were ever going to do anything with MvsC3 ever again in 2013 and got a hard no. People moved on. It's kind of crazy that Marvel 3 has the community that it does with it's members knowing that fact.

JeTmAn81

I mean, of course. We've known Marvel was never going to change for years. I personally asked the head of Marvel's gaming division if they were ever going to do anything with MvsC3 ever again in 2013 and got a hard no. People moved on. It's kind of crazy that Marvel 3 has the community that it does with it's members knowing that fact.

Not every game needs to be patched constantly to stay interesting. Melee, for instance.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Why does maintaining a FGC presence necessitate constant updates now? People were hyped on MvC2 when MvC3 wasn't even on the table, people were hard into Third Strike when the concept of a Street Fighter IV was a pipe dream.

In a way, the end of updates is a good thing for matchups to refine themselves, there's not the looming threat of "shit my tactics got nerfed" hanging over peoples' heads anymore.

JeTmAn81

Melee is/was only interesting because of the glitching abuse.
Also, we are discussing fighting games. Not party games.

It doesn't matter why it stayed interesting, the audience stayed with it regardless of the lack of changes. And quibbling about labels is definitely not interesting.

fhqwhgads

Hsien Ko being Melee Kirby tier killed the game ;-;
For realsies it was simply down to Marvel and how weird they were to work with. If they'd cooperated and let the game get more love with patches and updates then it could've been a lot better and the community would be a lot healthier compared to what it is right now. Shame really, cause for as shit as the game's balance is it's an incredibly stylish game in both presentation and mechanics.

Mesoian

Not every game needs to be patched constantly to stay interesting. Melee, for instance.

Not every game, no.

UMvsC3 DEFINITELY did though. DEFFFFINITELY!

But regardless, it's more than just balance patches, it's the ability to add new characters, new modes, new features, the ability to keep the game fresh. It's not hard to understand why, when the parent company says the game is done, people move on to something new and different.

Hsien Ko being Melee Kirby tier killed the game ;-;
For realsies it was simply down to Marvel and how weird they were to work with. If they'd cooperated and let the game get more love with patches and updates then it could've been a lot better and the community would be a lot healthier compared to what it is right now. Shame really, cause for as shit as the game's balance is it's an incredibly stylish game in both presentation and mechanics.

Decisions like "let's nerf She Hulk's slide and take 2 missiles away from Doom's assist, but leave Hsien-ko, Arthur, Chunners, Tron, Spiderman alone because they weren't problems" are definitely what killed a lot of interest in the 3 to U3 change over. They always punched down, never punched up, which made half of the roster meaningless.

The story circulating behind-the-scenes back then was that UMVC3 had to come out as soon as it did because Capcom was losing the license sooner than they wanted because Marvel did not want to renew (either a result of how Disney's acquisition affected their relationship or Capcom couldn't afford to renew, or maybe both). So they rushed out UMVC3 and final updates before they lost the rights shortly after. That is also why they can never patch/update UMVC3 -- it requires approval from Marvel, and there's no more deal in place. So no more patches...which hurt balancing which usually extends a competitive game's life span. It's not necessary, but it helps.

toneroni

Love MVC3, Wish Mahvel was a better license to work with...

I bet they killed it for their shitty contest of champions mobile game
Still hoping MVC4 comes out one day, or at least a port of UMVC3 to PS4.

JazzmanZ

The story circulating behind-the-scenes back then was that UMVC3 had to come out as soon as it did because Capcom was losing the license sooner than they wanted because Marvel did not want to renew (either a result of how Disney's acquisition affected their relationship or Capcom couldn't afford to renew, or maybe both). So they rushed out UMVC3 and final updates before they lost the rights shortly after. That is also why they can never patch/update UMVC3 -- it requires approval from Marvel, and there's no more deal in place. So no more patches...which hurt balancing which usually extends a competitive game's life span. It's not necessary, but it helps.

Also uh, a lot of people forget that a major incident happened in Japan around UMVC3s development where there floods and a power plant almost pulling a chernboyl

Skilletor

Also uh, a lot of people forget that a major incident happened in Japan around UMVC3s development where there floods and a power plant almost pulling a chernboyl

http://www.destructoid.com/sdcc-interview-niitsuma-on-ultimate-marvel-vs-capcom-3-206630.phtml

Niitsuma: After the release of Marvel vs. Capcom 3 there were plans to release DLC. But, as you know, less than a month after the game was released we had the earthquake and tsunami in Japan. That had an impact on everything, and it threw off our whole development schedule. We decided that instead of doing the DLC we could put it all together in one package, add some additional stuff to make it robust and deliver it as a disc.

Seyavesh

it is extremely suspect as a competitive game due to a whole ton of really retarded design decisions both character and system wise that are easily fixable.
the way games flow make it stale to watch because when someone gets hit it's steamroll city in a really monotonous manner.
the ratio between high-paced action and decision making between players and 'well time to watch this movie' is too far to the right, basically- it hurts both the competitor and spectator angles.

that's what 'went wrong' from a competitive angle and why it eventually died out instead of being evergreen. though i do suspect most games that go on 5 years without any balance changes would probably suffer similar fates in scene dwindling as long as there were newer games coming out to move onto.

in terms of attracting casual players, it's just another barebones experience- there's nothing for them at all besides arcade mode. they even took out the survival and challenge survival modes from vanilla mvc3 in ultimate as to replace it with heroes & heralds.

they had this giant franchise crossover thing where one of the franchises is primarily known for their storytelling so to not play on that is fucking insane- a competent story mode would've probably made the game sell a bajillion copies. apparently marvel had folks even write up a story for capcom, but they refused. capcom stays capcom i guess

Lulubop

Why does maintaining a FGC presence necessitate constant updates now? People were hyped on MvC2 when MvC3 wasn't even on the table, people were hard into Third Strike when the concept of a Street Fighter IV was a pipe dream.

In a way, the end of updates is a good thing for matchups to refine themselves, there's not the looming threat of "shit my tactics got nerfed" hanging over peoples' heads anymore.

Times are different, and those were the dark ages. Also read Seyvesh's post. A patch for umvc3 would have been very beneficial.

It doesn't matter why it stayed interesting, the audience stayed with it regardless of the lack of changes. And quibbling about labels is definitely not interesting.

Well unlike Melee the audience didn't stay for Marvel, so I don't get your point. A patch would have helped it remain more in the spotlight.

SupaNaab

Licensing issues -> Lack of support -> No balance changes or fresh content -> Tournaments that can no longer buy DLC -> Dead.

Deadstar

In my opinion, it was too difficult to play. I loved the characters in the game but there were just too many mechanics int he game to make it enjoyable to me. I'm sure that will make people mad who don't want the games dumbed down, but in my case I just couldn't have a lot of fun with it. I also wish they let human players be part of a team. 3 v 3 would have been amazing.

Is there anyway to buy this legit these days with all the dlc?

univbee

It has to be more than licensing.

I mean, the game already exists and it's a quality product. It can't be that difficult to strike a new deal.

You'd be surprised how messy this stuff gets legally-speaking. Marvel has rules that are very specific about how their characters are portrayed (here's an example for Spiderman)

3mPIm18.png

Now extrapolate that to over a dozen characters which have to interact with over a dozen more from a completely separate company, and can do things like have the canonical "good guys" teaming up with "bad guys" to fight more "good guys", and throw in Disney lawyers. It's obviously "surmountable" if demand is there, but the licensing is about as far from trivial as you can get.

Shadoken

Thats my point entirely , MvC2 didn't have as much competition since there weren't as many Fighting games being released back then. Apart from the 3D fighters , the 2D fighting games were mainly MvC,CvS,SF3 and GG. All of which were released fairly around the same time.

Even with the collapse of MvC3 , I think MvC3 now is still just as big as MvC2 after 5-6 years.

MvC3's problem lay in a few areas, areas that would've actually affected Marvel 2 had it come out at the same era Marvel 3 had been released.

• No Arcade release for MvC3 meant that, whenever the game stopped being produced or sold digitally, it meant the game had a hard and immediate half life. The game no longer being available meant that the influx of new players was going to drastically slow down & end very soon.

• Marvel 2 persisted during an age where no new fighting games were being released or supported. This is the same reason why SF3:3rd strike found a resurgence during those pre-'08 years. This is why things such as an imbalanced roster were tolerated - there was literally no other recourse, nor other games to play. Marvel 3 has some very serious balance issues that need to be addressed, which has dominated the competitive face of the game for years now. Due to expired license agreement between Capcom & Marvel, Capcom can't update the game, much less introduce anything new to it. Competitive games need to be support nowadays, thats just how it works now.

qcf x2

You'd be surprised how messy this stuff gets legally-speaking. Marvel has rules that are very specific about how their characters are portrayed (here's an example for Spiderman)

3mPIm18.png

Now extrapolate that to over a dozen characters which have to interact with over a dozen more from a completely separate company, and can do things like have the canonical "good guys" teaming up with "bad guys" to fight more "good guys", and throw in Disney lawyers. It's obviously "surmountable" if demand is there, but the licensing is about as far from trivial as you can get.

That doesn't look difficult at all. There is no killing or drug using or sex in MvC. Lol @ the age thing though, I guess it's cool for him to bone a 16 yo but not to drop an F bomb.

Fast forward some years later and it seemed like the game died, it never reached the hype or popularity of Marvel vs Capcom 2.Funny thing is that the game was still showing up on Evo years later(Game was not as broken as some people thought?).

I'm not sure in which universe MVC3 did worse than MVC2 going by any metric, but why it lost steam is simple: no patches and Capcom couldn't promote it. They let the community support it while they focused on bolstering SFIV and 5 to eventually take Marvel's place. Players knew there was a shelf life on Marvel, Ultra SFIV came out, 5 was announced, the Pro Tournament put a bunch of $$$ on the line, and that signaled to players to focus their efforts on SF.

There are some people who are outspoken about MVC2 being a better game, but really, it's just a different kind of broken insanity. Think ChrisG was on too much of a hot streak at his high point? Try Jwong's 5 year MVC2 streak. Think too much of the MVC3 cast isn't viable? MVC2 is also worse in that regard. There's some golden age syndrome about MVC2 and some people who try to hop on that train to make it sound like they know what they're talking about, but people really don't know what they're wishing for in a Marvel game lol

They're both extremely fun garbage in different ways

Sesha

MvC2 only lasted as long as it did because of the Fighting Game Drought of 2000-2008.

You mean the capcom drout right?

Namco
Nintendo
Neither realms were doing just fine.

Closer to 2002-2008:

SFEX3 - 2000/2001
Project Justice - 2001
CvS2 - 2001
CvS2Pro - 2002

What did Nintendo contribute in that time frame other than Melee in 2002 and Brawl in 2008? Their output was as meagre as Capcom's.

univbee

That doesn't look difficult at all. There is no killing or drug using or sex in MvC. Lol @ the age thing though, I guess it's cool for him to bone a 16 yo but not to drop an F bomb.

That list in and of itself is fine for Spiderman MvC but every Marvel Hero/Villain likely has similar restrictions which could contradict one-another. Is Wolverine teaming up with Magneto OK? Disney might not think so, they'll definitely have to ponder the question (and legally there's more to it than just handwaving it as an "Earth 2" thing). IP restrictions can get completely weird and self-contradictory and, unfortunately, don't always make a whole lot of sense. Hell, Disney could refuse simply because "we have a new Avengers movie coming and don't want people getting confused". And if you clear the issues with 23 characters but the remaining 2 are still legally problematic you're still in trouble for a straight UMvC3 reissue.

At the end of the day, even considering a reissue of UMvC3 would require what is likely a fairly costly negotiation with Disney, and was probably decided a while back that, at least at the time, wasn't worth the trouble of even trying, and I don't think we've reached a time where the answer is different.

Marvel is far from dead, it's still featured at tons of majors and is played regularly but its popularity has dwindled down compared to 2011/2012 due to the fact that it isn't getting any updates.

Top Bottom