• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac dev getting tired of coworkers yelling "Xbox OFF" over intercom

madmackem

I feared the kinect would still suffer from these sorts of things, i removed my kinect 1 because watching youtub or netflix with it connected was like playing roulette as to what would happen, either a fast forward a pause or anything could happen at anytime.

nynt9

Not true at all. I have my entertainment room set up in my second floor loft. Saying "Xbox on" from the first floor or while I'm walking up the steps and have the system ready to go is faster than me waiting to actually get there.

This is such an odd corner case that I don't even know why it's worth mentioning at all. It doesn't change the fact that pressing 1 button is easier than yelling at a device with (what seems to be, given OP) poor voice recognition software.

Voice control is pretty cool when your hands are busy and/or you are using an unwieldy device (touch screen for typing) but in this case it's literally one button press.

VanWinkle

"Xbox, off!"

"I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that. Please use the passphrase."

"Ugh... MacDonald's..."

"That doesn't sound like you really want MacDonald's, Dave."

"MacDonald's!"

"Very good, Dave."

Its McDonalds. Thus the joke didn't land quite as well as it could have.

Speevy

Banned
Does the Xbox One still do that thing where you can watch your cable while it's on?

That should be Sony's every commercial.

"Hello, we hope you buy PS4. It has some great games. It also has *cough Xbox Off* great graphics. Thank you."

jaypah

I feared the kinect would still suffer from these sorts of things, i removed my kinect 1 because watching youtub or netflix with it connected was like playing roulette as to what would happen, either a fast forward a pause or anything could happen at anytime.

When I first heard about this a year ago I actively tried to get it to work because it sounded pretty funny. I've tried a few times and it just doesn't happen. Not even when I'm playing a video about Kinect that has the actual "Xbox___" commands in it. I've asked this before but is it due to people not doing the audio calibration?

Alx

I don't understand... wasn't it supposed to recognize your own voice, meaning if you're logged on your Live profile only your shouts get picked up by Kinect?

No. There are two things it can do to filter out unwanted speakers :
- use sound localization to filter out what's coming out from your speakers (provided you did the sound calibration during setup, and didn't move the speakers around since). Kinect1 already did it, and there is an impressive demo of kinect2 filtering out game noises to extract the user's commands that you could barely hear without the filter.
- use face tracking to identify the users and track their lips, andknow who's talking. That would probably be a feature for games rather than generic commands, since one of the point of "Xbox off" would be to work even when you're not in the kinect field of view.

mjontrix

evo 2014

"And daigo is about to land the finishing blow for comeback of the century!!"

"XBOX OFF"

Do it while the firmware is flashing.

Psycho mantis bossfight new mechanic where he uses your voice to shout xbox off, and if you don't mute the game fast enough, you lose.

WKoMUDr.png

XBOX OFF

OH GOD MY SIDES!

dhMeAzK.gif

Reminds me of last year during Need for Speed Most Wanted testing, we'd annoy the Xbox 360 testers by passing through and yelling the "Look around" command which makes the camera spin 360 degrees around the car anytime. Made for some beautiful high speed wrecks. :D

Radec

Would have been more hilarious if anyone tried this in the E3 conference few months ago.

But then, it would mean they are not using pre-recorded kinect video.

stryke

Would have been more hilarious if anyone tried this in the E3 conference few months ago.

But then, it would mean they are not using pre-recorded kinect video.

I'm pretty sure this was being screamed out during the BF4 kerfuffle...

kurbaan

Banned
That was one of my main arguments in another thread. The other is reliability. If that shit doesn't work all the time, every time, people are going to say fuck it and go back to the tried and true method of remotes. We've all seen the reports of Kinect 2.0 still being finnicky after all of its "improvements" so I have no doubt it's going to fuck up all the time. Yelling "volume up" until Kinect recognizes wtf you're doing is gonna drive people nuts and they'll just give up on it.

Both of you are pretty being very short sighted. This stuff is the future. Maybe Xbone is not there yet but all these things need to happen to get there. Just the other day I was lying in bed and remembered I forgot to set the alarm on my phone so I had to get up in the dark get the phone and set it. If you've seen the new Moto X it's supposed to work similar to Kinect and if it works as advertised it would be pretty amazing to do something like that.

The only problem is it needs to get to natural speech. So like "Xbox on and play Firefly on netflix". Or hell even now with GTA5 everytime I wanna play that game I gotta open the PS3 and load up the game then I just switch back to TV or finish something else while it takes like 10 mins to load. Would be sick if I could say "PS3 load gta" while I am finishing up some work before I play.

LAA

Ha ha, funny!
Though I thought I remember reading that Kinect would only turn it off if it recognised it was your voice...? Would have thought there was a confirmation message too.

This is all just leading me to think Kinect isnt as "smart" as they claim it is, though even if it was, its use in gaming... just doesnt seem that relevant and important to me, they say it is of course, but I've yet to any evidence.

FeiRR

Banned
Both of you are pretty being very short sighted. This stuff is the future. Maybe Xbone is not there yet but all these things need to happen to get there. Just the other day I was lying in bed and remembered I forgot to set the alarm on my phone so I had to get up in the dark get the phone and set it. If you've seen the new Moto X it's supposed to work similar to Kinect and if it works as advertised it would be pretty amazing to do something like that.

That's a terrible story. You could've killed yourself there. Luckily everything went fine.

Stimpack

That's a terrible story. You could've killed yourself there. Luckily everything went fine.

Look at him flaunt his accomplishments. Why, Evel Knievel himself would shudder at the very thought of attempting such a miraculous feat!

Bravo great sarcasm there. But the dudes I was replying to said technology should make life easier and that was just an example.

Oh, it's no big deal. On a more serious note, I don't necessarily see this as the future. I mean, if we're going to debate that not having to get up to hit some buttons is some kind of futuristic revolution, I'll point you to exhibit A.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfgN5tUgjb8

Alx

Yeah voice commands is the dumbest thing ever in anything. The world is loud enough as it is.

Yeah seriously. Who would want to communicate through speech when you can push buttons ?

Sure we're dealing with machines and not people, but talking has always been the most natural way for human beings to transfer information.

viveks86

"Xbox off. Confirmation code 1, 1A, 2B"

Psycho mantis bossfight new mechanic where he uses your voice to shout xbox off, and if you don't mute the game fast enough, you lose.

"Xbox, off!"

"I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that. Please use the passphrase."

"Ugh... McDonald's..."

"That doesn't sound like you really want McDonald's, Dave."

"McDonald's!"

"Very good, Dave."

LMAO!

The psycho mantis bossfight is the single most innovative game idea I have heard anyone come up with using Kinect. Kojima! Make it happen!

pottuvoi

Banned
I really hope for straight youtube implementation for voice commands.
It certainly would allow more intriguing trolling possibilities.

Yeah seriously. Who would want to communicate through speech when you can push buttons ?

Sure we're dealing with machines and not people, but talking has always been the most natural way for human beings to transfer information.
Voice commands is not communication with people. It's shouting commands to a device. Fuck that shit. It's completely retarded. Mindcontrol or burst.

Alx

It's still communication. And it's not shouting, come on each time I hear/read that, it sounds as ignorant as my father calling videogames "shaking a computer".

I remember that Kinect could recongnize owner's voice.
So what happened?

see my comment above :

No. There are two things it can do to filter out unwanted speakers :
- use sound localization to filter out what's coming out from your speakers (provided you did the sound calibration during setup, and didn't move the speakers around since). Kinect1 already did it, and there is an impressive demo of kinect2 filtering out game noises to extract the user's commands that you could barely hear without the filter.
- use face tracking to identify the users and track their lips, andknow who's talking. That would probably be a feature for games rather than generic commands, since one of the point of "Xbox off" would be to work even when you're not in the kinect field of view.

It's still communication. And it's not shouting, come on each time I hear it, it sounds as ignorant as my father calling videogames "shaking a computer".
It's communication with a device, ofcourse. But it's only real use is in a car or something like that. Just because it's a new tech doesn't mean it's an improvement over current tech. I can totally understand the hate by insomniac. And these people aren't dinosaurs either.

Also, it will make people shout. Cause that's what people do when the the tech doesn't pick up their commands the first time. And "xbox off" takes longer than pressing "off". It's inefficient.

madmackem

When I first heard about this a year ago I actively tried to get it to work because it sounded pretty funny. I've tried a few times and it just doesn't happen. Not even when I'm playing a video about Kinect that has the actual "Xbox___" commands in it. I've asked this before but is it due to people not doing the audio calibration?

I did the audio set up and it still happened, dont know if it was too close to my speakers or something but it would happen as random every couple of days or so, so i removed it. Was kind of hoping this one didnt have the same issue.

Top Bottom