• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 8 | Expecting reprints? Too bad. Waluigi time.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Quick question. I'm gonna let my friend borrow my Wii U so he can play BotW along with WW & TP HD, and realized "oh damn, if he's gonna play TP HD, I should let him borrow my Wolf Link amiibo so then he can scan it & give me extra hearts for BotW". Is it read-only for BotW, or will it be limited to one profile/game? I think I still need to register it with my system, but would be nice to have Wolf Link have more than 3 hearts when I play BotW.

BotW is read-only.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
BotW is read-only.
So my friend can use it on his Wii U copy (which he'd be playing on my system), then I can use it on my Switch copy as well? That's good. He has the amiibo as well (he wants all the Zelda ones), but wants to keep them in the box, plus that way, we can both have Wolf Link appear in BotW with more hearts.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I want to say beating the Cave of Shadows in TPHD, then scanning the Wolf Link amiibo will allow you to transfer the hearts you've earned in TPHD into BotW.

Gravidee

Absolutely need Mipha.

tumblr_lwsk4kG8EV1r3nrmx.gif

Decided to jump in on Amiibo with Switch. Really worried about taking them on the road with me when traveling though. Does that sketchy Amiibo emulator actually work on Switch?

Yarbskoo

Well, since I can't play Zelda yet, I picked up a few of the amiibo to play with instead.
F7ysD1T.png

Zelda's face is a bit derpy, and there's some paint bleed here and there, but overall I'm happy with the detail on these.
3cci1OZ.png
OEXU2Ej.png

znUcQZc.png
6D13Z75.png

rHN7jwN.png
66d2Faa.png

Now I just need to find a Guardian.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I didn't get
Epona
when I scanned Smash Link

Do you have to see
a horse stable
before the game lets you?

It was before I left the Great Plateau, so it probably was

Yep, you gotta be off the plateau to get Epona

You can have wolf link get more hearts?

Yes. When you beat the Cave of Shadows and scan in your Wolf Link Amiibo, however many heart containers you have at that point in Twilight Princess HD is how many hearts your wolf will have in Breath of the Wild.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Great list for when I use them! No data on the new ones, there?

I don't know why whoever made that chart didn't include info on BotW Amiibos, but here's some info on them from RPGsite.net: http://www.rpgsite.net/feature/5361...-guide-how-to-use-amiibo-and-what-they-all-do

The Breath of the Wild Zelda amiibo has a particularly useful effect — when you tap her, there's a chance she'll drop a chest which contains a Hylian Shield. Like most special items, there's not guarantee, but there's a possibility she can drop this. The Hylian Shield is by far and away the best shield in the game, and is only found out in the wild in one location, deep within Hyrule Castle. If you don't have this amiibo, we've got a guide to getting that naturally. She also drops food items.

The Archer Link amiibo for Breath of the Wild drops random food items plus a chest that has a chance of containing a powerful bow.

The Horse Rider Link amiibo for Breath of the Wild drops random food items, but also has the chance to drop powerful swords or special saddles for your in-game steed.

The Guardian amiibo is cool as hell to look at. It drops rare food items and also has a chance of dropping strong weapons and ancient arrows, the rare arrows that can one-shot these powerful enemies with ease.

The Bokoblin enemy amiibo from Breath of the Wild will drop random food and elixir items for you, but also has a chance to drop powerful club-type weapons for you.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Okay, those clothing items are really cool & so glad to have all the amiibos to get them.

NOW I WANT MAJORA'S MASK LINK SO BAD TO DRESS UP AS FIERCE DEITY LINK!!!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
How long until you can actually use amiibo in BotW? I saw the option, but it said I'm not allowed to yet.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
How far are you into the game? I was able to use mine pretty early. I think i first checked after I completed the first shrine.
I just checked & now it let me. Guess I needed to beat a shrine or climb a tower first.

I'm guessing 5 per day like in Hyrule Warriors?

What is up with the Wind Waker 2-Pack? I don't think I've ever seen it on Amazon for less than $30 and I've never seen it in any store anywhere. Been looking since release. What's the deal? Is it already gone?

Edit: Oh lord, now of course EVERYTHING is sold out on Amazon, WW 2-pack going for $100, OoT Link $60+, good grief. I see Amiibo Madness is still a thing. D:

Got the Guardian and Zelda today, gonna order the other 3 just to be safe, sheesh.

Zalman

What is up with the Wind Waker 2-Pack? I don't think I've ever seen it on Amazon for less than $30 and I've never seen it in any store anywhere. Been looking since release. What's the deal? Is it already gone?

Edit: Oh lord, now of course EVERYTHING is sold out on Amazon, WW 2-pack going for $100, OoT Link $60+, good grief. I see Amiibo Madness is still a thing. D:

Got the Guardian and Zelda today, gonna order the other 3 just to be safe, sheesh.
I imagine they're not shipping as many anymore to be on the safe side.

I imagine they're not shipping as many anymore to be on the safe side.

Yep Nintendo is still awful at predicting demand. If they were smart they would have printed a bunch of the 30th Anniversary figures just before the launch of Zelda: BOTW. THe demand is clearly there.

But no, chances are we'll get a reprint of far too many in a year and have a repeat of the Lucina situation.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

I've seen it in Northeast Ohio stores recently. Not in large supply, mind you, but most stores have had one or two.

I cannot find the Smash Link anywhere (for MSRP).

What do you suggest, Amiibo-GAF?

It was one of the the most common Amiibos in stores for years. If you don't have one yet, man ... I dunno what to tell you. Check flea markets and GameStops for used ones, I guess.

It was one of the the most common Amiibos in stores for years. If you don't have one yet, man ... I dunno what to tell you. Check flea markets and GameStops for used ones, I guess.
So if I just want it for Breath of the Wild, I can get a used one since it's read only?

Bah, why did I have to return my 8 bit link amiibo? (Big nose)

I used my Link (OoT) link yesterday. So it says I can use it again in a day, is that in game time or in real time?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
So if I just want it for Breath of the Wild, I can get a used one since it's read only?

Right. You can blow away the data on an Amiibo, anyway, using a copy of Smash Bros.

BTW, Nintendo's online store sells them for $12.99: https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/p...lse&productId=prod880023&categoryId=cat860034

Bah, why did I have to return my 8 bit link amiibo? (Big nose)

I used my Link (OoT) link yesterday. So it says I can use it again in a day, is that in game time or in real time?

Real time. It ticks over at midnight according to your system clock. Yes, you can set your system clock ahead past midnight to cheese it.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I'm not sure we should trust a guy linking to a sold out Amiibo to run the place.

It didn't look sold out. Nintendo should do a better job of indicating sold out stuff from the listings.

Well, like I said, flea markets and GameStop. Used Amiibos are just as good as new ones, considering Breath of the Wild doesn't care about stored data and the data can be wiped from them anyway.

Top Bottom