• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Kiwami releases 8/29. Let's celebrate with an Avatar thread! (over 100 inside)

Peroroncino

Can't wait for this game! So crazy that I got into Yakuza this year and I'll get to have played two new games in the same year.

This is awesome.

For some fans it's still unbelievable. Imagine there was a time when we had to wait 2 or 3 years to even get a confirmation on Y5 actually being localized. Ugh...

Jimrpg

1st EDIT to OP: Added more avatars, Nagoshi (9), Kiryu (8) Majima (2), Nugget (3), Fighter (2), Bob Utsonomiya (1), reuploaded Yakuza Kiwami Character Chart.

Goddamn you OP!

I was so unique with my avatar before you came!

:(

good job though, but I still hate you!

I added another 8 more Kiryu avatars.
Don't hate me! :)

All Nugget has been taken.

Thanks for the badge. I'm totally converted to a Yakuza supporter after playing Y0. Pretty proud to have this badge.

R31DFhp.jpg
HNz7VFp.jpg
Pww3iX6.jpg

No Ponytail Majima? AGAINST

5jJUPHa.jpg
WLKuWl1.jpg

Where are the fans of Fighter? I expected to see at least one person repping a Fighter avatar.

mHjZMgt.jpg
n1a3sVT.jpg

For some fans it's still unbelievable. Imagine there was a time when we had to wait 2 or 3 years to even get a confirmation on Y5 actually being localized. Ugh...

Yeah, things have definitely changed for the better over the last couple of years. I thought the series was done for when it seemed like 5 would never get an English release, so its been so great to have 5, 0 and soon Kiwami released in English with 6 not too far behind. Plus if we do get a new Japanese announcement at the end of the month I'm hoping we'll have confirmation at PSX of an English release.

Bollocks

Any tldr rundown what to expect from this in terms of gameplay changes?
bought 0, LOVE it though I'm not very far yet nor do I have time to play unfortunately.

Any tldr rundown what to expect from this in terms of gameplay changes?
bought 0, LOVE it though I'm not very far yet nor do I have time to play unfortunately.
It plays almost exactly like 0.

Only significant change is that the progression system uses XP/skill points for progression with money only used for items/activities. Unlike Y0, where money the only currency which you used on everything (The only Yakuza game to have that btw).

Jimrpg

Yui Hatano in the game. :O

I might have to buy a PS4 now.

Yakuza 0 is already out and Yakuza Kiwami, Yakuza 6 are all coming to the west on the PS4.

Yakuza Ishin is also out, but only in Japan.

There's going to be some announcements from the Yakuza team at the end of the month regarding more game/s from the team.

IrishNinja

Yakuza 0 is already out and Yakuza Kiwami, Yakuza 6 are all coming to the west on the PS4.

Yakuza Ishin is also out, but only in Japan.

There's going to be some announcements from the Yakuza team at the end of the month regarding more game/s from the team.

K I W A M I 2 B O Y Z

Could someone add the tag to my avatar? The pink may clash though :( maybe the beige?

Y0 was my first game in the series. Loved it, got the platinum, pre-ordered Kiwami straight away.

poodaddy

Cool idea for a thread, even if I'm fine with my "avatar" being a pic of my daughter and I.
Man I'm hype as fuck for this game; it's weird to think my most anticipated game of the year is launching at thirty bucks. I almost feel like I'm doing something wrong lol.

ST2K

...Yakuza 0 was the best one yet.

Wait, really?

Yakuza 0 was my first Yakuza and I adored it. But a large part of my excitement about the series was based on the assumption that Y0 followed the universal rule that prequels are worse than at least some of the other entries. Is everything going to be downhill from here?

Wait, really?

Yakuza 0 was my first Yakuza and I adored it. But a large part of my excitement about the series was based on the assumption that Y0 followed the universal rule that prequels are worse than at least some of the other entries. Is everything going to be downhill from here?
The best in the series for 2 reasons.

One, it went back to the Yakuza 1 style of a VERY grounded story that doesn't really go too insane or have any unbelievable moments. The entire story, from start to finish, maintains the same level of quality. Yakuza 2 is perhaps the only other Yakuza game that has a comparable story with incredible highs but even that has one or two moments that some might find a little unrealistic.

Two, Yakuza 0 is the culmination of TEN YEARS of working on the Yakuza franchises, and around 6 years of working on the hardware of the PS3. I don't know if you know this but asset reuse is a key reason why Yakuza games maintain the level of quality that they do. I mean hell, some of the heat moves are moves that were recorded with motion capture for Yakuza 1 and Yakuza 2, PS2 games.

The only Yakuza games that have stories I would consider BAD, were Yakuza 5 and Yakuza 3. In the case of yakuza 5, it's the ending that screws the pooch but the individual chapters are fantastic and hella fun, and in the case of Yakuza 3, it's a bit weird because while that game does have some of the lowest lows story wise, it also has some of the highest highs.

There was a particular scene in Yakuza 0 that brought a tear to my eye, but only Yakuza 3 made me straight up cry with one particular scene.

All the Yakuza games are great games, and definitely worth playing. There's not a single Yakuza game that I've played that I felt like I wasted my time or that it wasn't worth playing. They're all excellent. Yakuza 0 just has the advantage of having a lot of the "legwork" already being done for it.

I'm thinking of cancelling my Kawami pre-order to pre-order the Kawami steelbook on Amazon.

It'll be 2 bucks more. Is this a silly idea? I think I read somewhere that all preorders would be steelbooks, but that doesn't seem to be the case on Amazon.

I'm thinking of cancelling my Kawami pre-order to pre-order the Kawami steelbook on Amazon.

It'll be 2 bucks more. Is this a silly idea? I think I read somewhere that all preorders would be steelbooks, but that doesn't seem to be the case on Amazon.
Are you in the US? Because Amazon is showing the same 30$ price for both.

All pre-orders aren't automatically steelbooks, you can pre-order the regular version if you want. But why wouldn't you want the Steelbook edition >.>

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y5Y9T8V/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y5YYCQW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Are you in the US? Because Amazon is showing the same 30$ price for both.

All pre-orders aren't automatically steelbooks, you can pre-order the regular version if you want. But why wouldn't you want the Steelbook edition >.>

I am, but I preordered a while back, and I guess Amazon dipped the price at some point. With the Prime preorder discount, it's 21 for my current preorder, and 23 for the steelbook.

edit: thanks for the clarification on the steelbook order. Gives me something to think about :)

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I'll try to dig up the banner'd avatar a nice gaffer made for me before 0

EDIT: did a new one instead
<<<<<<<

Jimrpg

Wait, really?

Lucebuce12 pretty much nailed it, but I'll add my two cents.

IMO, Y0 is the best game of everything released in the west so far, so that's Y1 thru to Y5 and though I haven't played it, pretty sure it'll be better than Y:Dead Souls. The main story is just fantastic, its told with a maturity and focus that isn't evident in those games. It feels like they took all the criticisms of the past games and made it right in this game. One really important aspect of narrative is pacing, and there's never really a down spot in this game. Some of the past games used to be very talky and have excessive filler dialogue, particularly Y5 and even Y3 to a certain extent. Y0 really trims a lot of it out.

There's still every chance Y:Kiwami, and Y6 might be better than Y0. As most Yakuza fans here have played Y1, I think the general consensus is that Y1 has a great story, though Y0 probably edges it a little, and Y0 also edges Y:Kiwami in terms of side content, mini games.

I have not really kept up with the discussion on Y6 so it remains to be seen if it'll be any good or not, but I do like just about everything I've seen from the gameplay videos so far, it looks like while they've left a few things out due to working on a new engine for the PS4, but they've also put a lot of new stuff in too.

There was a particular scene in Yakuza 0 that brought a tear to my eye, but only Yakuza 3 made me straight up cry with one particular scene.

I know the scene you're talking about! Made the entire game worth it.

EmiPrime

Some of the past games used to be very talky and have excessive filler dialogue, particularly Y5 and even Y3 to a certain extent. Y0 really trims a lot of it out.

I still haven't been able to finish Yakuza 5 because of this, those boring cut-scenes in cars and restaurants don't respect the player's time. Easily the worst game in the series because of it.

Jimrpg

I still haven't been able to finish Yakuza 5 because of this, those boring cut-scenes in cars and restaurants don't respect the player's time. Easily the worst game in the series because of it.

Yeah I think Yakuza 5 is probably better played if the player explores more and does more side activities and mini games. That way it's not a constant stream of cutscenes after cutscenes. I think the last two parts with shinada and the finale are pretty great though.

Yeah I think Yakuza 5 is probably better played if the player explores more and does more side activities and mini games. That way it's not a constant stream of cutscenes after cutscenes. I think the last two parts with shinada and the finale are pretty great though.

That's the way I always played it, had few to no issues with 5 myself. Well bar the dream stuff with Seijima - well actually the pacing on Seijima was out of wack in my opinion. Having only one chapter in the city where 75%ish of activities were was bad pacing for sure. I love the main story bits of the prison area (especially the antagonist), loved the mountain town and hunting but spending two chapters in prison was a bad move. They should have condensed the two chapters into one, then given Seijima two chapters in the city to to balance things out.

Then again they'd still need all the cutscenes in the prison part to flesh out the characters in order to make some of Seijima's best side stories make sense...

Top Bottom