• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Thanks for the response guys! 3ds it is.

I thought I could get over the big cart on the x5 but it's been a total deal breaker for me as far as portable GBA. I hate it in the micro, I hate it in the sp and I even hate it in my 101 modded oh.
I mainly play gb/gba stuff on my cube though so its still perfect for that!

Got the opportunity recently to have a GB link up battle with a buddy playing Money Puzzle/Idol Exchanger.

Even though the game is completely stripped down on the GB, and the music didn't seem to synch it is a really great 2 player game. Especially if you both have backlit mods.

Have to say the backlit mod for the original GB is one of the best things to happen in modern gaming. If I am honest I wasn't a big fan of the GB back in the day precisely because of the poor screen. With a backlit GB you can really tap into a massive catalogue of games and be able to play the games properly.

Peltz

I played Mario Golf on GBC before work this morning. It is still such a well made game. It really teaches you everything about golf other than how to swing a real club.

TheMoon

lmao I've never seen House.

Here's a summary.

2f1edbd782d38c98af3fe89418a5d2ea.jpg

cat = House :)

TheFuzz

Is ghosting normal on a GB SP 101 model? I noticed playing SMB3 that there is a motion blur on some movements.

I don't remember it happening when I owned an SP 15 years ago, but I'm assuming I wouldn't have noticed it anyway. Just checking if this normal.

Is ghosting normal on a GB SP 101 model? I noticed playing SMB3 that there is a motion blur on some movements.

I don't remember it happening when I owned an SP 15 years ago, but I'm assuming I wouldn't have noticed it anyway. Just checking if this normal.

Yeah it's the main reason I don't like that screen. It's super obvious in faster side scrolling games like Mario. For stuff like Pokemon or slower games it's not so bad, though.

It's an old LCD on a cheap toy so it's not exactly surprising. If you have a DS Lite, Mario 3 has the same ghosting there as it does in the 101.

TheFuzz

Yeah it's the main reason I don't like that screen. It's super obvious in faster side scrolling games like Mario. For stuff like Pokemon or slower games it's not so bad, though.

It's an old LCD on a cheap toy so it's not exactly surprising. If you have a DS Lite, Mario 3 has the same ghosting there as it does in the 101.

Oh ok, thanks. It's not too terrible, just something I noticed. I was about to ask if the DS lite did the same since my wife has one but you answered that. Thanks!

TheFuzz

Last question, and I think I know the answer:

Does the SP sound get a little "static-y" or slightly distorted at max volume? I bought it second-hand, so I just wanted to make sure it was normal.

Conezays

Does the SP sound get a little "static-y" or slightly distorted at max volume? I bought it second-hand, so I just wanted to make sure it was normal.

I'd have to hear it in-person/video to accurately judge but I think that's fairly normal with the hardware.

I had a question to pose to the rest of GBA users. Given the age of the hardware, is the internal battery dying a legitimate concern at this point? I just grabbed an original AGS 101 and am quite happy with it so far, as well as its d-pad and buttons. Is it worth grabbing one of the refurbished units available on Ebay based on battery concerns?

Example:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/201090920636

Edit: I also see they sell batteries for the system:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Recharg...175034?hash=item2ca78690fa:g:s58AAOSwqYBWok80

Not worth the hassle? Are refurbished parts/buttons, etc. typically noticeably worse? I'd appreciate any input before I start hoarding multiple GBA's, lol. Cheers.

Edit: And multiple other sellers/types of batteries. Hmm, anyone else have experience with replacing their batteries? At how cheap they cost I guess it's worth checking out. As I wrote this I see my battery is lasting far less than 18 hours, closer to 3 hours. Guess it's worth purchasing one of these replacement batteries.

Peltz

Not all models do. AGS-101 has a lower quality speaker than the AGS-001. And there is additional variance among different individual units.

AtomicPumpkin

Neo Member
Edit: And multiple other sellers/types of batteries. Hmm, anyone else have experience with replacing their batteries? At how cheap they cost I guess it's worth checking out. As I wrote this I see my battery is lasting far less than 18 hours, closer to 3 hours. Guess it's worth purchasing one of these replacement batteries.

There is a common misconception that the 101s battery life was the same as the 001s, but in reality since it is a bright backlit screen, when new, max battery life was around 5 hours, whereas the 001 was easily double that.

Conezays

There is a common misconception that the 101s battery life was the same as the 001s, but in reality since it is a bright backlit screen, when new, max battery lasts life was around 5 hours, whereas the 001 was easily double that.

Cool, thanks for the info. I still imagine my 2-3 hour charge was less than it was originally though. Ordered replacement for $10 online and the GBA seller refunded me the difference due to the low battery. Happy with how things turned out. Been putting a stupid amount of hours on Tetris DX so far. I picked up an Everdrive for the GBA and it's great not having to pull out all of my carts.

womp

Cool, thanks for the info. I still imagine my 2-3 hour charge was less than it was originally though. Ordered replacement for $10 online and the GBA seller refunded me the difference due to the low battery. Happy with how things turned out. Been putting a stupid amount of hours on Tetris DX so far. I picked up an Everdrive for the GBA and it's great not having to pull out all of my carts.

Just a quick heads up (and forgive me if you already know this), Everdrive carts will suck the battery more than a normal cart as well so factor that in there amongst your play/battery time stats.

Conezays

Just a quick heads up (and forgive me if you already know this), Everdrive carts will suck the battery more than a normal cart as well so factor that in there amongst your play/battery time stats.

I actually didn't know that so thank you. I've also been using regular carts to test the battery but hadn't factored in the Everdrive using the battery more.

Conezays

Semi-related question since it sounds like you have one:

Certain games on GBC seem to save just fine without issue. For example, Tetris DX saves my progress in the game without me having to do anything. It does however have the ED's red light on constantly while playing for what it's worth. If I turn the system off, the game will remember my progress once I play it again.

However, while playing Link's Awakening DX I noticed that the game does not seem to save your progress; at least it does so erratically and I can't seem to find out how to trigger it's in-game save functionality. I can use save states and load states just fine, as well as the save function in the game does appear to work on some level as the progress goes beyond the opening scene, etc. I've seen some past posts mentioning pressing L + R after in-game saving but I can't seem to personally replicate this.

Any advice here? Is this issue isolated to Link's Awakening itself? Thanks for any help! Loving the GBA Everdrive (as with all my others) regardless.

Semi-related question since it sounds like you have one:

Certain games on GBC seem to save just fine without issue. For example, Tetris DX saves my progress in the game without me having to do anything. It does however have the ED's red light on constantly while playing for what it's worth. If I turn the system off, the game will remember my progress once I play it again.

However, while playing Link's Awakening DX I noticed that the game does not seem to save your progress; at least it does so erratically and I can't seem to find out how to trigger it's in-game save functionality. I can use save states and load states just fine, as well as the save function in the game does appear to work on some level as the progress goes beyond the opening scene, etc. I've seen some past posts mentioning pressing L + R after in-game saving but I can't seem to personally replicate this.

Any advice here? Is this issue isolated to Link's Awakening itself? Thanks for any help! Loving the GBA Everdrive (as with all my others) regardless.

Might be a bad dump, Link's Awakening DX works just fine on mine.

womp

Sorry I missed you, but I haven't played Link's Awakening DX....However I was going to suggest the same thing, maybe a bad dump. Did you work it out?

So even though I wasn't super into the GBA back in the day (I got one at launch but then had a down period for a year or 2 with gaming) I'm glad to say I've put together a fairly decent collection of boxed GBA games over the years :D
C-PWKVOV0AAthP0.jpg

Just need to track down boxed copies of Advance Wars 2, Fire Emblem Sacred Stones, Metroid Fusion, Game Boy Gallery Advance & the Boktai games and I think I have almost eveyrthing I want for it :)

Conezays

Sorry I missed you, but I haven't played Link's Awakening DX....However I was going to suggest the same thing, maybe a bad dump. Did you work it out?

Not yet, but it's not the end of the world if I have to use save states. Maybe something to do with the various Super Game Boy and different region variances or something. I'll mess around with it a bit more.

Are you playing in pixel perfect mode or letting it stretch?

Pixel perfect. On N3DSXL the windowboxed display is almost exactly the same size as the OG GBA screen.

I do have an OG GBA with AGS-101 screen installed but I really only use it for Wario Ware Twisted at this point. I play everything else on the IPS N3DSXL and on the Gamecube.

Pixel perfect. On N3DSXL the windowboxed display is almost exactly the same size as the OG GBA screen.

I do have an OG GBA with AGS-101 screen installed but I really only use it for Wario Ware Twisted at this point. I play everything else on the IPS N3DSXL and on the Gamecube.

How's the sound quality btw?

That's the one where you hold start before booting up the game right?

I have a few AGS 101s and two OG GBAs with 101 screens. The form factor of the new 3ds and new 3ds XL are much better though. Hmm.

TheMoon

Any red flags I should be looking out for?

the obvious ones:
loose carts
no pics
bad pics
small pics
no willingless to send new/better pics
carts with wonky looking stickers
price too good to be true
note also: boxed games don't automatically mean you're safe

look through the last few pages, we posted pics here comparing some real/fake carts

TheFuzz

the obvious ones:
loose carts
no pics
bad pics
small pics
no willingless to send new/better pics
carts with wonky looking stickers
price too good to be true
note also: boxed games don't automatically mean you're safe

look through the last few pages, we posted pics here comparing some real/fake carts

Oh ok yeah I'm good about checking all of that. What do you mean by "loose" carts, though?

Oh ok yeah I'm good about checking all of that. What do you mean by "loose" carts, though?

Games without box and manual.

What they mean is that, if a game comes with the box and manual, then there's a pretty good chance that it's legit. The person probably bought it at a retail store when it was released. Still not a 100% chance, since some people buy the box and manual separate from the game, but it's definitely a good sign if it all comes together.

I have heard they exist, but what are some examples of fake boxes and manuals for GBA? I've never actually came across any, that I know of, but I'm sure they are out there.

TheMoon

Sorry but actually it wasn't a response to your post. I know you know your stuff.

I've got a fake CIB FFVI Advance, it's hilarious ��

I didn't mean my response to be an intended response to a supposed response from you to my response. XD

My ALTTP+FS CIB is fake. Box is EU, cart is US. Didn't even notice or care at the time (10 years ago?). Wanna punch myself in the face for it today. Prices were still tolerable back then :)

I have heard they exist, but what are some examples of fake boxes and manuals for GBA? I've never actually came across any, that I know of, but I'm sure they are out there.

[insert popular game series entry here]

basically

I'm a little iffy about posting this here, but I figured you guys might want to know that I've finally posted my GBA games for sale in the B/S/T thread. I'm working on getting all of the, very detailed, pictures up soon.

I'm a little iffy about posting this here, but I figured you guys might want to know that I've finally posted my GBA games for sale in the B/S/T thread. I'm working on getting all of the, very detailed, pictures up soon.

It's fine, we like to know these things. Waiting for pictures. :3

Peagles

I didn't mean my response to be an intended response to a supposed response from you to my response. XD

My ALTTP+FS CIB is fake. Box is EU, cart is US. Didn't even notice or care at the time (10 years ago?). Wanna punch myself in the face for it today. Prices were still tolerable back then :)

[insert popular game series entry here]

basically

Lol! I though that's what quoting meant, never mind me then hehehe.

Top Bottom