• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

DontBlink

I like it a lot! How are the third party buttons? Sometimes they can feel a bit off but they look like nice quality.

Thanks, the buttons feel pretty nice, but I'm no expert. The A and B do seem a little "saggy" and don't pop up after being pressed as fast as I imagined. Not sure if that's an actual fault or I'm just used to modern controllers.

Finally got my MGB so lets answer this shit...
(sorry if this is too many questions) How do the buttons feel in that case? Do any of them feel like they need a bit extra pressure to activate (especially right/left d-pad)? Does the system reset if you twist the case? If you nudge the cartridge do you get a freeze?

These were my biggest problems with non-OEM cases that I've used before so if this one doesn't have those issues that'd be really great.

I've been planning on getting good condition spares of GBP, GBC, and GBA while they're still easy to get but it's hard and a lot more costly to get ones in nice condition + nice colors.
The buttons are OEM. they feel perfectly pronounced. No issues whatsoever with them being overly sunken or anything. Neither the twisting nor cartridge nudging do anything. It feels as good as any OEM case I've used on any gameboy.
So it looks blue in person? I was gonna ask if that was just the white balancing on the photo.
It looks kinda light cyan. It's obviously blue but also clearly intended to be white, if that makes sense.

Here's an image with the contrast dial turned all the way down to give a picture of what the "black" looks like:
nV2OSzc.jpg
When it's all the way up, it's very much white.

The buttons are OEM. they feel perfectly pronounced. No issues whatsoever with them being overly sunken or anything. Neither the twisting nor cartridge nudging do anything. It feels as good as any OEM case I've used on any gameboy.

Cool, the problems I've had with buttons before aren't from being non-stock but from the case itself being of lower quality plastic or bulging or something, which just led to things not connecting very well. One of my AGB-001's is on a booleg case (that I'm going to replace) and the select button takes a lot of force and the right d-pad takes more pressure than left.

Anyway good that it's working out for you. I think I'm going to try an SP shell from them -- I've had a beat up SP for about a year that I've been meaning to fix up just to have a 4th GBA on hand.

Cool, the problems I've had with buttons before aren't from being non-stock but from the case itself being of lower quality plastic or bulging or something, which just led to things not connecting very well. One of my AGB-001's is on a booleg case (that I'm going to replace) and the select button takes a lot of force and the right d-pad takes more pressure than left.

Anyway good that it's working out for you. I think I'm going to try an SP shell from them -- I've had a beat up SP for about a year that I've been meaning to fix up just to have a 4th GBA on hand.
Yeah I totally understood your issue with the case, I am intimate with those issues, I mentioned the OEM buttons because sometimes the aftermarket buttons exacerbate or ease the issue.

HHL does good stuff as best as I can tell. The only thing I've seen/used from them that I don't like is the frontlighting kits, which are abysmal, but also no one want sot use a frontlight kit anyway so whatever.

Report on /r/Gameboy about orders for those backlit GBC screens not being shipped for some reason. Don't know if anyone here ordered one but I figured it was worth the update. Might be a supply issue.

Even though I have an OG GBA modded with the AGS-101 screen, the reduced brightness still makes it my second or third favorite way to play real GBA carts handheld (injection on a N3DS with IPS screen is easily my generally preferred way of playing ROMs handheld).

My original white DS lite is how I like to play just about every cart except WarioWare Twisted! but alas the shoulder buttons are toast at this point. I got super lucky though and bought a brand new open-box black/maroon DS Lite on eBay from a Canadian seller. I was paranoid and assumed it would be a "counterfeit" aka a China re-shell job, but careful inspection indicates it's the real deal and it feel amazing. Not bad for $80! The box was worn and missing inserts but the DS is flawless! Money well spent to me.

Even though I have an OG GBA modded with the AGS-101 screen, the reduced brightness still makes it my second or third favorite way to play real GBA carts handheld (injection on a N3DS with IPS screen is easily my generally preferred way of playing ROMs handheld).

My original white DS lite is how I like to play just about every cart except WarioWare Twisted! but alas the shoulder buttons are toast at this point. I got super lucky though and bought a brand new open-box black/maroon DS Lite on eBay from a Canadian seller. I was paranoid and assumed it would be a "counterfeit" aka a China re-shell job, but careful inspection indicates it's the real deal and it feel amazing. Not bad for $80! The box was worn and missing inserts but the DS is flawless! Money well spent to me.

I bought a black/red DS Lite for a similar price in a local store that store that somehow still had it in stock about 6 months ago. The box was super sun faded but yeah money well spent for me too. I mostly wanted it for DS games that don't do well with the DSi XL d-pad but it's not bad for GBA for sure.

After years of wanting a Flash card, finally got myself one at a reasonable price. Loving it so far, pretty mind blowing having this many games available without having to carry carts around.

Its the ElCheapo Cart by BennVenn, it came preloaded with a Test program that Im assuming Nintendo used to test the GB hardware at repair centers, pretty neat.

img_7451-01w3uhg.jpeg

img_7452-0132usz.jpeg

This might be a better question for the Pokemon thread, but I figured I would ask you guys first.

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/OTT6qt4.jpg[/IMG]

Does anyone know anything about this guide? I found it (along with my Crystal and R/S guides) while going through some old totes that I had left at my grandmother's house. It's in really good condition, but I literally can't find anything online about it. None of the guides I can find look anything like it and I can't find any other real info on it.

I'm most likely just completely missing something though.

seemingly every pokemon game has like 3-4 guides with essentially the same information but marginally different layouts and covers. Can't speak to that specific print, though. I always figured it was different companies with similar rights to make a guide competing, but I'm not sure.

helloiamgary

Neo Member
I've just bought a GB Micro from eBay (along with 6 "authentic" games that are going in the bin), only to find on arrival it's an iQue Micro. A quick search of the ol' google pops up very little about them, other than a reddit post suggesting it's rare to see, has anyone got any more info about them?

I understand that iQue is Nintendo's branding in China but other than that has anyone else got one? How's the hardware hold up against the normal version?

I've just bought a GB Micro from eBay (along with 6 "authentic" games that are going in the bin), only to find on arrival it's an iQue Micro. A quick search of the ol' google pops up very little about them, other than a reddit post suggesting it's rare to see, has anyone got any more info about them?

I understand that iQue is Nintendo's branding in China but other than that has anyone else got one? How's the hardware hold up against the normal version?

Oh wow. Yet another GBA system I'll need to add to my list. From what I've found online, it appears that it works just like a normal Micro though. You shouldn't have any issues.

If you ever want to get rid of it, keep me in mind! I'm trying to collect all of the Micro systems.

helloiamgary

Neo Member
Oh wow. Yet another GBA system I'll need to add to my list. From what I've found online, it appears that it works just like a normal Micro though. You shouldn't have any issues.

If you ever want to get rid of it, keep me in mind! I'm trying to collect all of the Micro systems.

You get first dibs if i decide to flip it, It's a bit beat up, bottom left corner is scratched and the battery door doesn't fit exactly as it should but I've tried a few games on it so far and it seems grand. Waiting on a triwing driver to arrive to give it a proper looking at.

Just finished installing the backlight and bivert for the OG GB.

Seeing it in pictures and video really does not do it justice. Seems like there is less ghosting in the picture, and of course much sharper image all around. If you are on the fence go for it!

Going to start Links Awakening as done with BotW, never finished it back in the day :)

Just finished installing the backlight and bivert for the OG GB.

Seeing it in pictures and video really does not do it justice. Seems like there is less ghosting in the picture, and of course much sharper image all around. If you are on the fence go for it!

Going to start Links Awakening as done with BotW, never finished it back in the day :)

I love my bivert DMG so much. Yours is beautiful. Did you change the shell or keep the old one? If you changed the shell, I wanna see that too!

-KRS-

Have any pictures? Sounds pretty cool!

I love my bivert DMG so much. Yours is beautiful. Did you change the shell or keep the old one? If you changed the shell, I wanna see that too!

Thanks :) Kept the shell as it is in pretty good condition. Was thinking of getting a transparent one, but was afraid the backlight would shine through and be to distracting.

I did get a glass replacement for the front screen, the original plastic had a ton of scratches, makes a huge difference and is a cheap and easy upgrade to and DMG GB

Thanks :) Kept the shell as it is in pretty good condition. Was thinking of getting a transparent one, but was afraid the backlight would shine through and be to distracting.

Yeah I can see how light bleed could definitely be an issue. I have a transparent shell and the light bleed isn't too bad from the front, here's a pic to give you a rough idea:

It's more noticeable from the side:

That's in really dark rooms and it's not as bright as it looks in those pics though. But at least you have an idea what to expect if you ever decide to do it.

Is there someone who is very established that sells GB Pocket backlight installation service? I've gone back and forth about trying it myself, but I think I would rather make sure it's done right. If I can find someone reliable, then I think I'm going to pick up the DMG model:

tumblr_ncfgdqkpRr1sg6lv7o1_500.jpg

Thanks for the pictures, that is not nearly as much as i thought.

See, now you have gone and got me thinking again :)

The translucent shells that have a pretty vibrant color (blue, green, etc.) don't seem to have a ton of light bleed. The totally clear ones look a bit more intense imo.

Peltz

Is there someone who is very established that sells GB Pocket backlight installation service? I've gone back and forth about trying it myself, but I think I would rather make sure it's done right. If I can find someone reliable, then I think I'm going to pick up the DMG model:

tumblr_ncfgdqkpRr1sg6lv7o1_500.jpg

I never saw a Game Boy Pocket in that color before.

I never saw a Game Boy Pocket in that color before.

Yeah, I didn't know it existed until a few months ago. I'm not even a big fan of the original DMG, but there's just something about the Pocket color scheme that I think looks awesome.

I just bought this one actually: http://www.ebay.com/itm/391730468447?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

It was a little more expensive than some of the others that were available, but holy crap does it look clean. It's always hard to tell from pictures, but it LOOKS like it's very nice. We will see in a week or so.

Sure, here's a few showing the exquisite collection of scratches the screen has. Came with the flower and ladybug faceplate too.

I've definitely now added it to my list of eBay searches. I basically just look at the back of any Silver Micro listing to see if it is one. No luck so far.

If I ever get my GBA System website up and running, would you mind if I use your pictures as an example for this model?

John Blade

Sure, here's a few showing the exquisite collection of scratches the screen has. Came with the flower and ladybug faceplate too.

vQbDNlA.jpg
dPHddnM.jpg
eFyes9P.jpg

This might be release only in China with a partnership with Nintendo and a Chinese company. I think they still doing this now with the 3ds in China when Nintendo release any games and handheld in China. Kinda interesting to see this outside from China but other than that, it's really is the same unit.

Oozer3993

I recently bit the bullet and bought a backlight modded AGB-001 off eBay. Unfortunately, the screen suffers from noticeable interlacing :( I messed around a little with the potentiometer, but it didn't do much. Is there anything else I can do?

I recently bit the bullet and bought a backlight modded AGB-001 off eBay. Unfortunately, the screen suffers from noticeable interlacing :( I messed around a little with the potentiometer, but it didn't do much. Is there anything else I can do?

Edit: Okay, I was having this issue as well and had previously tinkered with the potentiometer with no success like you. But I just gave it another try and I think I was possibly turning it in the wrong direction. Try turning it clockwise (for more power/brightness). After I did this, the interlacing disappeared. If you don't notice a difference, keep turning it, you may not have turned it enough like me.

As much as it pains me to do so, I'm currently considering selling my GBA/GB collection. Still haven't decided for sure yet, but there are some things for my family that I would like to do and these games literally just sit in a basement on a shelf. If there is a used game pricing bubble, I'd like to get out before it completely bursts.

I'll probably hold onto all of my Pokemon collection though. Those have a lot of sentimental value.

womp

As much as it pains me to do so, I'm currently considering selling my GBA/GB collection. Still haven't decided for sure yet, but there are some things for my family that I would like to do and these games literally just sit in a basement on a shelf. If there is a used game pricing bubble, I'd like to get out before it completely bursts.

I'll probably hold onto all of my Pokemon collection though. Those have a lot of sentimental value.

When I hit 40 a few years ago, I said the same thing...in my case it was not only my 70's/80's Star Wars toys but also some odds and ends such as my MUSHA Genesis cart and a few others. I still have a bunch of stuff to go through though.

I'd say to just do it and don't look back man...pick out a few items that you have a genuine closeness to and otherwise clean house. I've been there and I have not had any regrets, plus not only will you be giving other collectors a chance but I've been able to do things with the money I got back that have been more important to me at this point in my life.

Peltz

If there is a used game pricing bubble, I'd like to get out before it completely bursts.

There's no retro gaming bubble. That's a conspiracy theory.

Individual games could have pricing bubbles, but not the entire retro market. It doesn't work like that and there's no evidence to suggest that it's even possible for retro prices on the whole to suddenly drop.

They're closer to antiques than stocks in that regard.

When I hit 40 a few years ago, I said the same thing...in my case it was not only my 70's/80's Star Wars toys but also some odds and ends such as my MUSHA Genesis cart and a few others. I still have a bunch of stuff to go through though.

I'd say to just do it and don't look back man...pick out a few items that you have a genuine closeness to and otherwise clean house. I've been there and I have not had any regrets, plus not only will you be giving other collectors a chance but I've been able to do things with the money I got back that have been more important to me at this point in my life.

Thanks for this. I'm only 31, but having a son has really changed my outlook on some things. It's one of those weird things that I truly never thought would happen to me and yet....here we are.

I've went down to the basement every night this past week and stared at my GBA collection. Every time I intend to take pictures and then just list them, but every time I chicken out. I have attachment to the games, because that's the gen I grew up with, but it's not going to be the end of the world if I sell them. Especially since I'm keeping the ones that matter the most to me: Pokemon

There's no retro gaming bubble. That's a conspiracy theory.

Individual games could have pricing bubbles, but not the entire retro market. It doesn't work like that and there's no evidence to suggest that it's even possible for retro prices on the whole to suddenly drop.

They're closer to antiques than stocks in that regard.

Yeah, I can get on board with that line of thinking. I was honestly hesitant to even include that in my original post and it's definitely not one of the main factors for me considering selling everything. I see both sides of the argument though.

Honestly most GB and GBA games aren't worth much overall. If you have one of the handful of games that are actually worth something, yeah it'd be worth selling them.

Yeah, I can get on board with that line of thinking. I was honestly hesitant to even include that in my original post and it's definitely not one of the main factors for me considering selling everything. I see both sides of the argument though.

Man everyone in these threads is so much nicer than RegularGAF.

womp

Thanks for this. I'm only 31, but having a son has really changed my outlook on some things. It's one of those weird things that I truly never thought would happen to me and yet....here we are.

I've went down to the basement every night this past week and stared at my GBA collection. Every time I intend to take pictures and then just list them, but every time I chicken out. I have attachment to the games, because that's the gen I grew up with, but it's not going to be the end of the world if I sell them. Especially since I'm keeping the ones that matter the most to me: Pokemon

My son is 9 and being married with a house and a mortgage and all that jazz does indeed change ones outlook on this crap.

What's scary is that I've owned my NES for as long as you have been alive (Christmas of 86 when I was 13) and it's probably the only thing in my collection I have a real urge to hold onto just because it is the one system I've managed to keep all together over the years AND it all still works. :) It's also brought me a lot of good memories from my teen years in high school.

In any case, you got time...don't rush something you may regret, however, the fact you are starting to feel this way at all just means you are getting closer to that point. Don't sweat it. I too had/have a bunch of crap in boxes and totes stashed away over my lifetime of gaming that I simply said to myself "What good are these doing me?". It was all down hill from there.

My Star Wars stuff that had been rotting for over 20+ years in a closet bought me the first high end PC that I have owned since the Voodoo 3DFX era a couple years ago and it was such a great feeling. And since I used my own money, I didn't have to deal with the wrath of my wife as to how I got it. LOL

MUSHA I bought at EB Games back in 1991 for $19.99. I sold it a couple years ago to a dealer for $220 at a local game show. MUSHA is easily my favorite SHMUP of all time and one of my favorite Genesis titles...but....it has done nothing locked away all these years. I played it to death back in the day, but now? I'm good with emulating it and someone else can enjoy it more than I can. That need to hoard this stuff just broke down in the back of my brain and shut off and I think age really factors into it.

Go through and ask yourself "Do I REALLY need this?" versus "This, this makes me feel good' and see what you come up with. Personally for me? I love my portables but since I am not a hardcore collector, I can stand to hang onto that stuff that has survived over the years whereas I don't mind ditching some SNES and Genesis. It's all personal and subjective but since you have said something like your Pokemon games matter the most to you, you have already set a criteria that you can use to scale to.

Give it a practice run and see how you do. Worst case? Downscale a little and see how you feel.

TheFuzz

Cross-posting from my other topic cause I'm excited.....

Picked up this bad boy for $60. Case and screen are in way better shape than I expected. It looks to be an original 001 with a screen swap. Pic looks like screen isn't uniform in brightness but it's just the lighting in the room.

HfSMcWs.jpg

ACTau17.jpg

You guys weren't kidding about the backlight... the screen looks so nice. I never had the AGS-101, so this is quite impressive to me. Now to start building a collection for this.

Cross-posting from my other topic cause I'm excited.....

Picked up this bad boy for $60. Case and screen are in way better shape than I expected. It looks to be an original 001 with a screen swap. Pic looks like screen isn't uniform in brightness but it's just the lighting in the room.

HfSMcWs.jpg

ACTau17.jpg

You guys weren't kidding about the backlight... the screen looks so nice. I never had the AGS-101, so this is quite impressive to me. Now to start building a collection for this.

Congrats! The SP is tied for me with the Micro as my favorite way to play GBA games. It's just so nice to be able to close it and stick it in a pocket.

GBA GAF I have a question!

Whats the consensus on gba vc on a hacked N3ds? I'm looking to play through the 2 GBA metroid games but I packed away all my gba stuff in preparation to move. All I've got GBA wise is a micro with an everdrive x5 but I'm really not diggin the cart sticking out on the micro :( I'd rather play it on 3ds if the GBA VC is decent!

GBA GAF I have a question!

Whats the consensus on gba vc on a hacked N3ds? I'm looking to play through the 2 GBA metroid games but I packed away all my gba stuff in preparation to move. All I've got GBA wise is a micro with an everdrive x5 but I'm really not diggin the cart sticking out on the micro :( I'd rather play it on 3ds if the GBA VC is decent!

GBA on a hacked N3DS is totally superior IMO. And I own a Micro fwiw.

It uses hardware instead of emulation and the display is superior.

It's pretty much perfect from a compatibility standpoint and the display is certainly nice but the button layout choice isn't great (a=a, b=b but like in the wrong spot) and when you flip the 3ds lid down you don't get sleep mode. I mean you don't get sleep mode on a real GBA (in most games) but at least a real GBA turns on and off really quick.

Top Bottom