• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

looking at it, I'm not sure how I feel. I mean, one of the big issues in the GBC screen dilemma is that the GBC allows for a very specific pallet with the unlit color LCD, and the GBAs and emulators just don't really feel the same. I'm really anal about that in particular, though. If the screen doesn't end up having any serious power consumption, aspect ratio, or other issues I'll be sure to jump on.

Idfk why they compared it to a gb boy instead of an actual GBC, though. What a useless comparison.
I actually wonder if it'll end up being a weird clone console. I shall remain skeptical as fuck.

D.Lo

looking at it, I'm not sure how I feel. I mean, one of the big issues in the GBC screen dilemma is that the GBC allows for a very specific pallet with the unlit color LCD, and the GBAs and emulators just don't really feel the same. I'm really anal about that in particular, though. If the screen doesn't end up having any serious power consumption, aspect ratio, or other issues I'll be sure to jump on.

Idfk why they compared it to a gb boy instead of an actual GBC, though. What a useless comparison.
I actually wonder if it'll end up being a weird clone console. I shall remain skeptical as fuck.
Huh? Colours will always be different with such a change of screen tech. GBA games look different on every screen you can play them on for the same reason. That's a given. If you only want original you have to use original.

It was compared to a GB Boy to show how the aspect ratio is correct.

And why would it be a clone? The idea is it's a plug in replacement on original hardware?

Huh? Colours will always be different with such a change of screen tech. GBA games look different on every screen you can play them on for the same reason. That's a given. If you only want original you have to use original.

It was compared to a GB Boy to show how the aspect ratio is correct.

And why would it be a clone? The idea is it's a plug in replacement on original hardware?
Yes, and having closer-to-original colours would be a boon. I'm not sure I like this screen's palette, which is a disappointment. I'm not sure what you didn't understand.

You can also compare it to an actual GBC screen to show the aspect ratio is correct. Comparing it to the GB Boy to show the correct aspect ratio is a pointless comparison unless....

they're comparing it because it's using some of the same tech. Which is why I (not entirely seriously) said it could be a clone console.

Looking into getting a modded gameboy advance. Something like this: Link

Then I started thinking about just getting a DS Lite. What happened to the DS lite on ebay? Full of sellers with seemingly brand new models for around $70. Like this: Link

Does anyone have experience with these, if they are fake/counterfeit or just modded DS Lites using refurbished Nintendo motherboards/screens with aftermarket shells (kind of like the gameboy modding scene)? Maybe international versions?

D.Lo

Does anyone have experience with these, if they are fake/counterfeit or just modded DS Lites using refurbished Nintendo motherboards/screens with aftermarket shells (kind of like the gameboy modding scene)? Maybe international versions?
Pretty sure that's what they are. The Chinese saw ripoff refurb places (*cough RCG*) making huge bank on 'special edition' case modded consoles using parts ordered from their factories and started cutting out the middeman.

I've seen similar things happen in other markets, like guitar gear.

Pretty sure that's what they are. The Chinese saw ripoff refurb places (*cough RCG*) making huge bank on 'special edition' case modded consoles using parts ordered from their factories and started cutting out the middeman.

I've seen similar things happen in other markets, like guitar gear.

So still legitimate Nintendo internals then? Was just reading the same thing over on gbatemp as well.

If that's the case I'm going to grab one. Worse comes to worse, if the case is shoddily put together, make a PayPal claim.

Been thinking about getting a DS Lite as well so I can play Arkanoid with the paddle again.

I've got that thing and my DS Lite died a few months ago. Trying to decide whether to buy another one.

Don't forget it works on Space Invaders Extreme, too.

EDIT: Does anybody know if the new/deadstock DS Lites on eBay from HK are legit?

EDIT 2: Hmm, I misunderstood that that's what the prior posts were about. I assumed the 'SE' ones weren't really new, but that the normal editions probably were. Ugh...

Peagles

So still legitimate Nintendo internals then? Was just reading the same thing over on gbatemp as well.

If that's the case I'm going to grab one. Worse comes to worse, if the case is shoddily put together, make a PayPal claim.

Generally they feel a bit cheap to the touch cos the plastic mold isn't up to genuine standards, but they're otherwise fine.

leroidys

I'm noticing that there's a lot of humming and ambient electronic noise on my gameboy micro and OG GBA when playing with headphones. Making me rethink if a DSlite might not be the best way to play...

I'm so bummed that the best shooter on the original Gameboy/Color (Vattle Giuce) is so expensive.
Y'know, playing these old shmups I realize I had forgotten Chikyuu Kaihou Gun ZAS, which is actually better than Vattle Giuce. Not quite a pick-up-and-play friendly, imo, but a better shmup.

I'm so bummed that the best shooter on the original Gameboy/Color (Vattle Giuce) is so expensive.
Y'know, playing these old shmups I realize I had forgotten Chikyuu Kaihou Gun ZAS, which is actually better than Vattle Giuce. Not quite a pick-up-and-play friendly, imo, but a better shmup.

Hell yes ZAS is freaking amazing.

Have you played Sagaia on GB? It's a really fun port, and the music is pretty awesome. It's another expensive cart unfortunately.

Yeah I've got a CIB copy of sagaia. It's expensive but there doesn't seem to be many buyers. I put an offer for like 40$ a year or so back for someone who was trying to get 80 and they took it.

Pretty good port though. Do love some Darius.

Toonami GBA Micro

I've had this in my eBay search notifications (only one I had) for literally 6+ years now...and I didn't get it. I watched it all week and then forgot about it until 1 minute to go. Made a bid of $315 and immediately got outbid with 10 seconds to go. I was willing to go all the way up to $400, so I have no idea why I cheaped out on it.

I know it's a lot, but there were apparently only 50 of these made. My goal is to have every single piece of GBA Micro hardware one day and this is definitely going to be the hardest thing to find. Really kicking myself for missing out on it.

Anyone here get it?

LE gameboy micros are so nice. Still hoping for some better faceplate solution. I take mine out with my in my bag and it gets kinda bunged up. Would be nice to have a glass protector or something.

LE gameboy micros are so nice. Still hoping for some better faceplate solution. I take mine out with my in my bag and it gets kinda bunged up. Would be nice to have a glass protector or something.

For a long time, the Pokemon edition Micro was the only version I had, so I used it constantly. I have no idea how it didn't get scratched and dinged up, but it somehow still looks brand new. I use a "beater" silver Micro now.

For a long time, the Pokemon edition Micro was the only version I had, so I used it constantly. I have no idea how it didn't get scratched and dinged up, but it somehow still looks brand new. I use a "beater" silver Micro now.
the one I have I got when they initially came out so it's seen quite a few opportunities for getting proper fucked up.

So I just bought this Kyogre GBA SP - In Box, US Version

$300 is a lot of money, but you NEVER see the US version in a box. Did I spend too much? I feel like I didn't, but...gah, my wife is going to kill me.

Side Note: I've really been thinking about making a website that's dedicated to all of the different GBA systems available. There are some websites out there already, such as this one, but I'd like to do something a little more in-depth. For instance, I think it's interesting how certain models, like the Kyogre edition I just bought, are a lot easier to find in their Japanese packaging. Or just the fact that there even was different packaging. Do you guys know of any websites out there that already focus on that stuff though? Don't want to waste my time on something that already exists.

I'd certainly appreciate such a resource. LEs have plenty of misinformation on the net surrounding their availability so it would be good to have someone sorting through it and publishing their findings.

I'd certainly appreciate such a resource. LEs have plenty of misinformation on the net surrounding their availability so it would be good to have someone sorting through it and publishing their findings.

Yeah, I figure I've already pretty much put a ton of time into it anyway, so why not share what I've found?

Like, did you know that there was a CoroCoro edition GBA Micro released in Japan? I've been collecting this stuff for years now, and literally just found out about it last week.

I think the Micros and SPs, especially, are rather undocumented. I've never seen that one, either. Looks super slick.

In other, unrelated, news, I've got a new toy on the way:

j75kXcv.jpg
5XH0lOt.jpg

It's one of the handheld legend bootleg shells. They look really nice.

(sorry if this is too many questions) How do the buttons feel in that case? Do any of them feel like they need a bit extra pressure to activate (especially right/left d-pad)? Does the system reset if you twist the case? If you nudge the cartridge do you get a freeze?

These were my biggest problems with non-OEM cases that I've used before so if this one doesn't have those issues that'd be really great.

I've been planning on getting good condition spares of GBP, GBC, and GBA while they're still easy to get but it's hard and a lot more costly to get ones in nice condition + nice colors.

prateeko

Soooo, I see a lot of backlit screens on eBay again for AGB-001 replacement. I assume factories have fired up again? I'm curious to see the quality/ghosting differences between all the screens used to make AGB-101s.

Anyone have any info? I never felt like I knew of the initial batch of backlit were b-stock from AGS-101, Spare AGS-101, Or third party AGS-101s.

BTails

Soooo, I see a lot of backlit screens on eBay again for AGB-001 replacement. I assume factories have fired up again? I'm curious to see the quality/ghosting differences between all the screens used to make AGB-101s.

Anyone have any info? I never felt like I knew of the initial batch of backlit were b-stock from AGS-101, Spare AGS-101, Or third party AGS-101s.

I'd be interested in this as well, would love to mod my original GBA-001 with a backlit screen and maybe a glass screen as well.

Peagles

My guess is third party, based on different ribbon cable adapters being required compared to salvaged LCDs.

Ghosting varies screen to screen, even with the official ones. I never noticed a difference between these new screens and ones in AGS-101s when calibrated properly, however.

I think the Micros and SPs, especially, are rather undocumented. I've never seen that one, either. Looks super slick.

In other, unrelated, news, I've got a new toy on the way:
Oh my, I want this. May I ask where you got it?

Except I'd like it with a clear/white backlight and not a blue one.

Oh my, I want this. May I ask where you got it?

Except I'd like it with a clear/white backlight and not a blue one.

From /u/asdfqwer426 on reddit. Commissioned.

And that is a white backlight. the Pocket bivert, for whatever reason, comes out really blue.
So it looks blue in person? I was gonna ask if that was just the white balancing on the photo.
Again, I don't have it yet :p I'll let you know when I have it. I've seen other pictures of them, though, and they tend to look more blue in darker lighting.

this is relevant: http://imgur.com/a/JNXfa

-KRS-

If it's like the DMG white bivert mod it will indeed be a bit blueish, although not as much as that photo shows. That's probably a white balance thing. If I were to get another bivert modded DMG I'd probably go for the yellow one, since it seems to most resemble the original DMG screen colors.

BTails

So, is there anyway to mod an AGS-001 so that you don't have an extremely loud buzz from the headphones jack? I have two systems, and was hoping to do a backlight mod on one to make an ultimate GB/GBC/GBA machine, but the sound output really kills that idea.

DontBlink

I purchased a 101-modded system on eBay a couple years back, in the original indigo color. Always wanted to try replacing it with something cooler and finally got it done this weekend.

Translucent green shell, translucent orange buttons and a new glass lens. Came out really nice in my opinion, sort of going for the TMNT Michelangelo look.

I purchased a 101-modded system on eBay a couple years back, in the original indigo color. Always wanted to try replacing it with something cooler and finally got it done this weekend.

Translucent green shell, translucent orange buttons and a new glass lens. Came out really nice in my opinion, sort of going for the TMNT Michelangelo look.

That disgusts me, and yet turns me on at the same time.

Top Bottom