• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm just curious as to why he is abandoning the helmet. We see it destroyed... so it seems like he might be shedding it for good, even if he does use it for some sequences (probably closer to the beginning?)

Is it emblematic of him trying to become more independent from the concepts of his grandfather's legacy? Maybe he just wants to show off his new cool scar because it makes him more menacing?

kevin1025

Banned
I'm just curious as to why he is abandoning the helmet. We see it destroyed... so it seems like he might be shedding it for good, even if he does use it for some sequences (probably closer to the beginning?)

Is it emblematic of him trying to become more independent from the concepts of his grandfather's legacy? Maybe he just wants to show off his new cool scar because it makes him more menacing?

Could be that he wears it in front of the subordinates to instill fear, but takes it off to try and appeal to Rey.

sphagnum

Banned

He wore the helmet to be like Vader, but he believed that Vader's great failing was his sentimentality. Vader could not kill his son. Kylo killed his father. In his view he has surpassed Vader.

chaosaeon

Oh, I kind of thought Maz's part was over tbh. I didn't really see much else that needed to be done or expanded upon with her. Except finish the likely bad explanation about Luke's lightsaber that they dodged with the eyerolling tact of the storywriters from Destiny. But I'm sure a book probably tried to bandage that off screen already anyway.

I like the theory that Luke's ESB aka Anakin's saber is force cursed in some way (force energy remaining from the people who were killed by it and from the ESB reveal and Luke's anguish at the time somehow getting embedded into it). That could even explain the flashbacks it caused in TFA and could even be said to have wanted a new owner etc. That's kind of cool. But they probably went with "some droid found it in the gas on Bespin somehow and then Maz bought it on space ebay." lol.

It seems Mark's confirmed he didn't have any scenes with Carrie in this interview. It was rumoured a while ago but this seems to be confirmation.

AP: Did this feel like a different Luke to you? It sounds as though this is a darker version of the character that may be unfamiliar to fans and even to you.

Hamill: Absolutely. Luke changed, I think, more than the other characters in the original trilogy, from callow farm boy to a Jedi in training to finally a Jedi master. What you're talking about is what really fascinated me. Between "Return of the Jedi" and "Force Awakens," there's just decades of history that's unknown. So I was wondering how they're going to handle all this. Now, obviously, with "Force Awakens," J.J. (Abrams) had a full plate. It was inevitable that they would push me down the line. I was sorry I wasn't able to work with any of the original actors again. But it's not about us anymore. In this new one, I was saying to Rian Johnson: I need to know my backstory. It was kind of unclear. You read where he is now and what he's doing now and sort of have to fill in the blanks for yourself. So I did do a backstory myself. It's not about Luke anymore, so it's not really important. But I had to make sense of it for myself. What Rian came up with, I was stunned.

NYR94

Luke pic

XGizVX9.jpg

BB-H8

disclaimer: name may not actually be BB-H8

If it's not then somebody needs to take Star Wars away from Disney because clearly they have no idea what they're doing.

Heh, it turns out its on set name was actually BB-H8! Confirmed by Rian himself:

Just be thankful we didn't stick with his obscenely adorable on set nickname, BB-H8

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/903299927572307968

Woorloog

Banned
Length or width?

If it is 60 klicks wide, then it is about 15 long. If it is actually 60 long, then it is like 240 klicks wide...

chaosaeon

The ridiculously large Mega Star Destroyer, the Supremacy:

vMfTxzQ.jpg

Again huh. What is it with this new trilogy and the DBZ effect. Dialing everything up to eleven again. Death star ? We did that but bigger. How about some force powers Vader couldn't even do right out of the Matrix ? Super star destroyer, well we have a MEGA star destroyer. It's almost as bad as the 200 Jedi on screen at once in AoTC (though I guess you can argue it was meant to show their era to give perspective of how RoTS and the fall of the Jedis play out.) Do we know when the design will leak for episode IX's AT-XL-T, the Ultra Walker that's like four walkers put together into a megazord ? /s

But for real ; do they think the audience for the new trilogy is so dim that everything has to be so heavy handed and on the nose ? It's off putting and telling about how the writing may fare.

prag16

Banned
Again huh. What is it with this new trilogy and the DBZ effect. Dialing everything up to eleven again. Death star ? We did that but bigger. How about some force powers Vader couldn't even do right out of the Matrix ? Super star destroyer, well we have a MEGA star destroyer. It's almost as bad as the 200 Jedi on screen at once in AoTC (though I guess you can argue it was meant to show their era to give perspective of how RoTS and the fall of the Jedis play out.) Do we know when the design will leak for episode IX's AT-XL-T, the Ultra Walker that's like four walkers put together into a megazord ? /s

But for real ; do they think the audience for the new trilogy is so dim that everything has to be so heavy handed and on the nose ? It's off putting and telling about how the writing may fare.

Kind of ties in with what I was complaining about earlier in (I think) this topic, regarding Snoke. Really fucking hope he's not just some random dude that conveniently is even more hardcore/evil/powerful than Palpatine. No better way to minimize 1-6... sure Sheev and his machinations were the culmination of 1000 years of Sith planning and teachings. But meh, he ain't shit. 30 years later some other random dude is bigger and badder... -_-

Guy.brush

Have to say, not a big fan of these bigger, better, sequel time AT-ATs
The scale is totally off on them, they don't seem to have enough small greeble and details to make them look bigger than the AT-AT in their midst.
Their main cannon also is on the main hull, so they need to twist their whole body to adjust for a target.
And that edge lord goatee thing brings up memories of Transformers..

DImPWzUXkAQpVIn.jpg

chaosaeon

Kind of ties in with what I was complaining about earlier in (I think) this topic, regarding Snoke. Really fucking hope he's not just some random dude that conveniently is even more hardcore/evil/powerful than Palpatine. No better way to minimize 1-6... sure Sheev and his machinations were the culmination of 1000 years of Sith planning and teachings. But meh, he ain't shit. 30 years later some other random dude is bigger and badder... -_-

DBZ effect all over the place. The word I keep finding myself leaning towards is "cheapened". It feels like half the things they're doing now are being done to try to outdo everything that was done previously, but that they have no idea how to do that so we get this stuff. It's like the only thing about 4,5,6 that they care about is that it has established fans and nostalgia could pull people into the seats. But then they squandered the availability of the original cast (to Hamill's vocal dismay as well) and just made shinier ripoffs of everything else.

The scale is totally off on them, they don't seem to have enough small greeble and details to make them look bigger than the AT-AT in their midst.
Their main cannon also is on the main hull, so they need to twist their whole body to adjust for a target.

DImPWzUXkAQpVIn.jpg

Oh FFS. This is real ? Come on now. This is like a parody or something. 7-9 are literally the Mondo Burger to the OT's Good Burger. Everything is bigger, shinier, and something feels wrong. My sarcastic comment that was meant to poke fun at their lazy "but it's even MORE this time" approach was still cooling on the window sill and apparently it was already true. I can't even make fun of them because they're living the jokes.
giphy.webp

prag16

Banned
But then they squandered the availability of the original cast (to Hamill's vocal dismay as well) and just made shinier ripoffs of everything else.

Have to figure they originally had been planning a Luke/Leia scene for episode IX, but still.

That the original big three never get a scene together (not even one scene!) is a crime against humanity.

antonz

The Supremacy makes me want to laugh. I mean Christ its width is half the first Death Stars diameter. People are not kidding when they say DBZ effect.

Guy.brush

The Supremacy makes me want to laugh. I mean Christ its width is half the first Death Stars diameter. People are not kidding when they say DBZ effect.

It feels a bit like they wanted another Death Star surface/trench run climactic end piece and couldn't think of anything else or a better way to do it, thus a 60km long flat starship.
The Resistance will totally have to fly either inside of it or along its wing to destroy a generator/battery/bridge/accentuator/Matrix of Leadership.

a916

DBZ effect all over the place. The word I keep finding myself leaning towards is "cheapened". It feels like half the things they're doing now are being done to try to outdo everything that was done previously, but that they have no idea how to do that so we get this stuff. It's like the only thing about 4,5,6 that they care about is that it has established fans and nostalgia could pull people into the seats. But then they squandered the availability of the original cast (to Hamill's vocal dismay as well) and just made shinier ripoffs of everything else.

I agree with you... they almost are terrified of making changes... but are terrified of doing nothing... so we're getting things that are "almost the same thing.... but not really".

Lizzy

Unconfirmed Member

DImPWzUXkAQpVIn.jpg

I hope you nit-picked the original AT-ATs like this.
It feels a bit like they wanted another Death Star surface/trench run climactic end piece and couldn't think of anything else or a better way to do it, thus a 60km long flat starship.
The Resistance will totally have to fly either inside of it or along its wing to destroy a generator/battery/bridge/accentuator/Matrix of Leadership.
Pretty sure Finn and Rose's mission is to blow this thing up.

Burbeting

Banned
I was at my local gamestop, they were selling a Last Jedi poster I had never seen before. It was very much like TFA poster (lightsabers aligning, a lot of characters), except that it was red, and everyone were aligned more vertically instead of horizontally. Could be a lazy knock-off, but I'm going back to the store to check, haha.

//Tool a picture, yeah doesnt look like official.

IMG_20170906_183637.jpg

I was at my local gamestop, they were selling a Last Jedi poster I had never seen before. It was very much like TFA poster (lightsabers aligning, a lot of characters), except that it was red, and everyone were aligned more vertically instead of horizontally. Could be a lazy knock-off, but I'm going back to the store to check, haha.

//Tool a picture, yeah doesnt look like official.

IMG_20170906_183637.jpg

I don't think that's a theatrical poster, but it does look like an official merchandise poster.

Voidwolf

DImPWzUXkAQpVIn.jpg

My sentiments exactly, and worst of all it doesn't even look good. Nice to see TIE Bombers though, if this poster is even real that is.

Making Star Wars have seen what the Falcon looks like in Han's spin-off.

The Falcon is brand new and owned by Lando in the untitled Han Solo film. It has blue detailing all over it with a white base coat of paint. The other interesting detail is that we finally see the Falcon doing what it is supposed to do with cargo. Basically there’s an attachment that hooks into the front of the ship’s front “forks” and that elongates the front of the ship. It looks seamless but can also detached to drop a shipment of spice if Imperial entanglements get too complicated. The center of the ship allows for access to the cargo.

Apparently it looks a bit like this:

Han-Solo-Falcon.jpg

chaosaeon

I just rewatched TFA last night and something stood out even more to me than the first time.

I would love the idea, that Luke's/ Anakin's old lightsaber is cursed by the force. Was it not the same lightsaber that was used during order 66 ? It killed so many people, and was essentially being used by a corrupted force user. Then when it was passed on to Luke, it saw his battle with Vader and Luke's emotional turmoil and the loss of his hand. It saw nothing but really dark/bad events and pain. It's not that far fetched when you consider how there are force ghosts, and they say the saber was "calling" to Rey. Maybe the saber harbors a scar of the force that it carries with it.

Ren also says the lightsaber does not belong to Rey, indicating he's actually familiar with it and it had a role in the story pre TFA. When Rey approaches it, the sounds she's hearing almost sound like little kids in pain (the Jedi temple children Anakin murdered ?) Maybe there is something very sinister going on with it. Man that would be interesting and something new. That could even explain how it came back, possibly calling to anyone force sensitive and trying to find a new master like a parasite. Damn.

prag16

Banned
So, anything matching up to leaks from the trailer aside from the obvious (porgs)?

Man don't remind me. I was happy for a few weeks there during which I forgot the porgs existed. I mean, maybe I'll see the movie and it'll be fine and it'll all work in context and be totally inoffensive...

...but damn man. Hmmm, the ewoks sucked pretty hard. What can we do to suck way more balls? I know... Jar Jar! But now wait we need something even more ridiculous looking and obnoxious/annoying/stupid for the new generation. I know, how about these half owl, half seal, half penguin abominations! Mission accomplished. Seriously, who designed these things; a blindfolded kindergarten kid?

Generally it's been a few variations of "Ben goes rogue, gives a speech decrying rich people ruling the galaxy, convinces Rey to join him in deposing Snoke."

I don't really believe any of it, but somebody who does could see the last few shots as confirmation of those "leaks"

Lizzy

Unconfirmed Member
Generally it's been a few variations of "Ben goes rogue, gives a speech decrying rich people ruling the galaxy, convinces Rey to join him in deposing Snoke."

I don't really believe any of it, but somebody who might could see the last few shots as confirmation of those "leaks"
Ah. Yeah, that sounds like bad fanfiction.

XAL

Anything is better than the "Snoke feeds on death" nonsense leak.

Boy he succ the living force out of people.

I think I read that Rey is raw force power he wants to absorb right away, whereas Kylo has blocks to achieving his upper strength so Snoke has been trying to bring his power out ie fattening him up before taking his life force.

I wonder if that "Snoke is Valkorion" rumor will come true as a means of setting up an Old Republic trilogy.

El Topo

I'm really fine with anything but that "suck the life out of people" stuff. I'm just not a fan of this whole "I want to achieve godhood" motive.

Top Bottom