• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter III and Capcom's Pixel Art Process

D.Lo

I absolutely loved the sprites in SF3 but I can't deny Capcom did a great job on the 3D models in SFV reminiscent to that detailed 2D-animation from the past.
I mean 5 is better than 4, but still a nasty chunky mess with horrible faces, and the animations are still nowhere near the perfection of 3.

The 3->4 comparison here is still true of SFV.

Chev

Wowa, which GDC presentation is that?

It's the GDC 2017 Street Fighter V presentation (both slides and video available publically on GDCvault). It's not actually about pixel art though, merely something they mention to contextualize the importance of readability and caricature in character design and how the same principles stayed true going from 2D to 3D. As far as fighting game animation goes I recommend this one by Skullgirls' lead animator, and that Overwatch one which shows the use and importance of elastic character animation in 3D.

jett

D-Member
kof13 was 720p, but I don't know if that counts.

Terrykofxii.gif

I love the look of KOFXII/XIII's sprites. Second favorite FG spritework for sure. It just doesn't animate quite as well as SF3.

Not really. KOF XIII sprites were the same size as Guilty Gear sprites. Just much more detailed.

1470440147495.png

i1Gw53R.png

It really annoys me how a lot of SF3 sprite rips are squashed vertically. People pls.

Shredderi

The animation quality is insane. This is actually the one genre that regressed graphically as time and technology moved forward. The new 3D models look nowhere near as appealing. I always thought that we would just come up with super clever way of producing detailed and well animated sprites. GGXRD is visually what I want but the animations aren't nowhere near as smooth as they are here. GGXRD style "sprites" with the animation quality of SFIII... My god...

Is there anyone left capable and interested in creating a AAA fighting game with this quality of pixel art and animation, or is this a lost art?

petran79

Banned
For starters there are no cels in the process, only paper, but there weren't any cels for Aladdin either. But beyond that no, it's still pixel art, it's not just a matter of tracing drawings but also finding the right pixel arrangements to convey details. Paper only gets you the basic movement and then there's a whole lot of things involved. While using some of those techniques Aladdin was pretty basic by comparison, more than Darkstalkers which was the first Capcom game where they really thought out their animation techniques. Here's a GDC slides giving an example of how ratios were thought out to bring out details.

From an interview some months ago by a developer who took part in the game, Lion King sprites were drawn by Disney's animators and their assets were sent to the programmers. Probably the same happened with Aladdin.

Is there anyone left capable and interested in creating a AAA fighting game with this quality of pixel art and animation, or is this a lost art?

AAA? I don't think so.

Its really expensive to do it (which was one of the reasons for KoFXIV's artstyle)
Combine that with how many copies a AAA fighting game sell and well...

jett

D-Member
The animation quality is insane. This is actually the one genre that regressed graphically as time and technology moved forward. The new 3D models look nowhere near as appealing. I always thought that we would just come up with super clever way of producing detailed and well animated sprites. GGXRD is visually what I want but the animations aren't nowhere near as smooth as they are here. GGXRD style "sprites" with the animation quality of SFIII... My god...

SFV has excellent animation though. I don't see a fighter topping it for the foreseeable future.

nded

It really annoys me how a lot of SF3 sprite rips are squashed vertically. People pls.

They were intentionally drawn that way so that they look correct when arcade displays squash them horizontally. Most rips don't bother with aspect ratio correction on sprites at their native resolution because on modern displays with square pixels that would mean destroying pixel information or adding scaling artifacts.

Skilletor

Massive waste of time and effort for gg to animate like 3s. You almost never see an entire animation play out. They tried more animation and said it messed with the gameplay.

jett

D-Member
It's more that CPS games were squished horizontally to be 4:3, so that's how they turn out when put in a 1:1 pixel ratio.

They were intentionally drawn that way so that they look correct when arcade displays squash them horizontally. Most rips don't bother with aspect ratio correction on sprites at their native resolution because on modern displays with square pixels that would mean destroying pixel information or adding scaling artifacts.

I know all of this. I'd rather have them in their proper aspect ratio.

3S looks fine on my TV and it doesn't look "destroyed."

This gif is in the proper aspect ratio. Looks fine.

8431991f7babe5a1f9509e76aed04d1e88210e6a_hq.gif

entremet

SF3 perfected it but I remember being floored by DarkStalkers and COTA, which started these sprite based beauties for Capcom.

Mr. X

If there was more storage on the cart, 3s would've looked even better. By this time, to add the new characters they were removing animation i.e. Dudley's thunderbolt.

RM8

Maybe I'm seeing things but I do see scaling issues, especially on Ryu's hair.

That gif has compression and scaling artifacts present, but yeah, in proper aspect ratio it looks fine (it is the intended viewing afterall!) -- but I guess my point was that it's not the fault of a sprite rip to preserve that as it's not how the art is spit out in the first place, just the nature of the display they're put on.

NEO0MJ

Skullgirl's felt that it was missing something in the animation that had "oomph" like SF3, and even KOF13. I know that the sprites are well made and in screenshots they do stand out, but in motion I think they didn't nail it compared to SF3. A while ago someone in a fighting game thread said Skullgirl's animation was like paper cutouts hitting each other, even though that sort of does injustice to the work the team put it in, since it is still very good,I do agree that the analogy hits the sentiment.

Since making something aesthetically pleasing in motion is more than just how many frames and pixels it has (Skullgirls has it in spades), I think a lot of it has to do with the speed and clarity of the motion. You can make it snappy to make it seem fast, but if it is too fast a lot of the animation is "lost" on the viewer, which I personally think happens because of the type of game Skullgirls is, which is trying to emulate the Vs. series where they are constantly just going into different motions without really hiding a transition. Sort of like seeing Makoto pause on certain punches to show impact and speed up to make a punch combination look snappy on her SA1. Likewise a lot of people will miss things when they see a Skullgirls combo, like dialing through a chain that just has a bunch of attacks canceling into the next without pause.

It''s also something modern NR Studio fighters haven't gotten completely right yet, at least the feeling and sound of impact.

I wish there was a whole era dedicated to pixel art from the Street Fighter 3 days. Would have been great if we got some Castlevanias and some Final Fights with this look.

In a way SOTN was that. By the time it came out 3D has become the new hot thing.

Skilletor

SF3 perfected it but I remember being floored by DarkStalkers and COTA, which started these sprite based beauties for Capcom.

Cota and msh are still super gorgeous. The more stuff they added to the games, the more animation got removed due to memory limitations.

RAIDEN1

Just a heads-up to every one, although those who wanted the 3rd strike online edition would have downloaded it by now, something strange is going on the PSN store, the game and it's various DLCs are still available but the actual game itself is clocking in at a file-size of 6kb!!!! Tried downloading it twice today but still the same issue...

Yet the demo is available..fully functioning...
Contacted PSN support about it...hopefully more will be known soon!

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
New Generation baffles me - it's the least complete version of SF 3, but has the most detailed backgrounds, transitioning backgrounds (day to night), even complete background changes (Elena's stage is incredible).

Even the music is fantastic.

New Generation is a gem in my opinion, but I can see why people consider it poop

AAA? I don't think so.

Its really expensive to do it (which was one of the reasons for KoFXIV's artstyle)

I don't think art style is really the right choice of words here. They chose 3D over 2D for production reasons sure, but I don't think their art was compromised by the decision. The game's art from the pre-order book looks better than in game. They made the faces a little more anime in the transition to 3D, but the animation captures the distinct look and feel of each character perfectly and the overall effect is quite reminiscent of the older games.

If 2D was economically feasible, I think SNK still has the talent to do it. Some GIFs of 14 since i'm sure a lot people are ready to disagree! It tends to be more subtle than 2D (they go to town on expressive hands) but it's got it's fair share of flowing jackets too!

iGPnIrL.gif

4GIVsfI.gif

klqLPaa.gif

OOinfYc.gif

VNIBfN4.gif

6D3mgxT.gif

JAdg9Zo.gif

It's pretty similar to Garou, particularly if you watch at .25 speed on the video: https://youtu.be/0QE25tVaB5k?t=1m6s It's a little obscured by a ripple effect at normal speed.
594Qbx7.gif

Whip is a good example of how they stretch and warp things for more effect like the 2D days:
EogE5G5.gif

This tumblr has a heap more: http://specta-a.tumblr.com/tagged/kof

Chev

From an interview some months ago by a developer who took part in the game, Lion King sprites were drawn by Disney's animators and their assets were sent to the programmers. Probably the same happened with Aladdin.
Yeah,they were, but they were still basic on the pixel art side of things. The Disney side brought the movement but not its on-screen realization, which was ultimately relatively basic, while Capcom in the Darkstalkers era had integrated disney's 12 principles of animation and combined it with their pixel art craft which, by the time of SF3, was honed to perfection.

And if it's the cel thing you're referred to, then no, they were not using cels. The frames were drawn on paper, scanned and digitally touched up and colored. They threw the marketing term "digicel" around, but Stephen Clarke-Wilson, one of the devs, has clarified that this was just a blanket marketing term for "a whole pile of tools and processes and talented people". The actual notable technical thing of Aladdin was sprite compression to allow for all the frames.

Scotia

Banned
I found this website by accident a few months ago that has the sprites for every move, colour and character in the SF3 games (mainly 3S). It's perfect for those who want to look at all the sprites and animations in one place.

http://zweifuss.ca/

jett

D-Member
Yo Jett, have you ever played Waku Waku 7? It's a 1996 fighter from Sunsoft with some very impressive visuals.

Not the BEST gif I could but it gets the idea through
magneto-hands-stance.gif

I played it ages ago. The sprites do have an interesting style compared to other fighers of the time. Of SNK's NG fighters I find Garou to be the most impressive.

nded

Yes, but the purpose of sprite ripping is to extract and preserve the pixel art exactly as it is stored in the game data, before any aspect ratio correction takes place. Squashing the pixels horizontally wasn't a problem with CRT displays, but pixels in digital panels cannot change size so you end up either losing pixel information or adding "garbage" information to make things fit. Digital scaling looks and plays just fine, but it's not "perfect".

It can't really be helped, most computer monitors having square pixels and all. Correcting it at a 1:1 pixel scale image would either:

1) Distort the image by creating garbage data to fill in the blanks. Here you can see Ryu's face and fingers become wobbly due to extra pixels.
9bgnNzj.gif

2) Destroy information by compressing two pixels worth of data into one. Notice Ryu has lost his pupils and some of his toes have fused.
QibC7Ic.gif

Since arcade monitor pixels are roughly 25% taller than they are wide, the only way to accurately represent the sprite on modern monitors as they appeared in arcades is to scale it 400% and then stretch it 25% vertically. This way all the pixels are present and are all the same size.
yGp0EuO.gif

Mathematical!

Yes, but the purpose of sprite ripping is to extract and preserve the pixel art exactly as it is stored in the game data, before any aspect ratio correction takes place. Squashing the pixels horizontally wasn't a problem with CRT displays, but pixels in digital panels cannot change size so you end up either losing pixel information or adding "garbage" information to make things fit.
You neither lose pixel information or add anything when displaying these games on a digital panel.
All is happening is the non integer scaling at 4:3 creating non uniform rows of pixels on the horizontal.

" Distort the image by creating garbage data to fill in the blanks. Here you can see Ryu's face and fingers become wobbly due to extra pixels"

This is incorrect. The sprite becomes "wobby" because of the non uniform pixel rows when displaying the 384x224 content on a digital display without ruining the aspect ratio by displaying square pixels (which would be 12:7 on all cps hardware), there are no extra pixels.

Yup, this is when I truly became a Capcom fan through and through. Pretty much all of their stuff on CPS-2 and CPS-3 looks and feels fantastic.

nded

You neither lose pixel information or add anything when displaying these games on a digital panel.
All is happening is the non integer scaling at 4:3 creating non uniform rows of pixels on the horizontal.

I would certainly consider elongating alternating rows of pixels as added information, at least when it comes to sprite rips.

As for losing pixel information that would only happen if someone decided to squash the display horizontally rather than stretch it vertically, though I realize most people have high enough monitor resolutions that this is unlikely to be an issue.

Nuu

Banned
Nice cab! Love this game! I went a different route using a supergun:

4260076F-06FB-4091-83A5-BD60C7177FC6.jpg

Real talk, that's one of the best designed "consoles" I've ever seen.

Here's one with Skullgirls added (which also had more sprites and more characters per-fight and more color depth and it's seriously a shame Blazblue is stuck behind in terms of sprite tech. Filia isn't even a tall character).

Apples and oranges. Skullgirls is a tradigitial handdrawn animation. Blazblue is pixel art. You're comparing something utilizing Toon Boom that was drawn and filled in with paint, brushes, etc. And that was made dot by dot by something like Microsoft Paint.

I do wonder though if Skullgirls sprites will be a problem in the future. I mean did they use vector lines and paint so that the graphics would scale for 4K (8K?)?

Skullgirls has gotten a lot closer.

Skullgirls comfortably surpassed it. The animations are way more complex and detailed. The game literally pushed 2D animation as far as it could go the point where the developers were taking OUT frames to make the animations more smooth.

Skullgirl's felt that it was missing something in the animation that had "oomph" like SF3, and even KOF13. I know that the sprites are well made and in screenshots they do stand out, but in motion I think they didn't nail it compared to SF3. A while ago someone in a fighting game thread said Skullgirl's animation was like paper cutouts hitting each other, even though that sort of does injustice to the work the team put it in, since it is still very good,I do agree that the analogy hits the sentiment.

Since making something aesthetically pleasing in motion is more than just how many frames and pixels it has (Skullgirls has it in spades), I think a lot of it has to do with the speed and clarity of the motion. You can make it snappy to make it seem fast, but if it is too fast a lot of the animation is "lost" on the viewer, which I personally think happens because of the type of game Skullgirls is, which is trying to emulate the Vs. series where they are constantly just going into different motions without really hiding a transition. Sort of like seeing Makoto pause on certain punches to show impact and speed up to make a punch combination look snappy on her SA1. Likewise a lot of people will miss things when they see a Skullgirls combo, like dialing through a chain that just has a bunch of attacks canceling into the next without pause.
This post is insane. Skullgirls animation is fluid as hell and all of the animations connect. Try doing moves in training mode and pausing the game multiple times during an animation.

I absolutely loved the sprites in SF3 but I can't deny Capcom did a great job on the 3D models in SFV reminiscent to that detailed 2D-animation from the past.
This looks very mediocre. Sadly these are the absolute BEST animations in the game.

Even Xrd isn't that good animation wise when comparing it to 2D. Comparing it to other 3D games it is the undisputed king in imitating 2D animation. But it still falls flat.

Case in point: https://media.tenor.co/images/803d3afce56fc5bfa6c1e764a17ab259/tenor.gif

I don't think art style is really the right choice of words here. They chose 3D over 2D for production reasons sure, but I don't think their art was compromised by the decision.

Why do you guys keep posting mediocre animation gifs?

Chev

Apples and oranges. Skullgirls is a tradigitial handdrawn animation. Blazblue is pixel art. You're comparing something utilizing Toon Boom that was drawn and filled in with paint, brushes, etc. And that was made dot by dot by something like Microsoft Paint.
That's not what I'm talking about. I'm really talking tech here. Blazblue struggled on PS3 with two 500 frames 256 colors characters and later games had to cut some frames to fit new moves. On the other hand on the same console Skullgirls manages six fighters of ~1500 frames each with more color depth and sprites that are two to three times as big with lossless compression. That's solely because Arcsys are still designing their 2D engines like in the early arcade days and that doesn't scale up in terms of memory efficiency, while Lab0 developed an engine that's a much better fit for 2d gams on modern hardware.

I do wonder though if Skullgirls sprites will be a problem in the future. I mean did they use vector lines and paint so that the graphics would scale for 4K (8K?)?
Skullgirls' not vector data. The sprites were authored at a high resolution so that's how they scale up. Current versions of the game don't hae the sprites at original resolution and look fine in high res. But of course the hand-drawn style ensures it'll look good at any res, unlike pixel art.

Nuu

Banned
The only pixel art game that comes close to being even in the same ballpark to SFIII's animation is Martial Masters.

Yk6jQxH.gif
lnZy7Dq.gif
rwQ6NWS.gif

Unfortunately, not all the animation is as consistent as the above.

I think that's a bit unfair. Xrd is obviously trying to match the animation style of previous Guilty Gear entries, and I feel that they've accomplished that quite handily.

I don't mean animation by frame count, but animation by squashing and stretching, which my gif demonstrates. Though the game does have it's moments.

NEO0MJ

According to Ravi the sprites were all drawn in 4K in Photoshop. As for why they didn't use vector art it's very, very limited color wise and can't be used to draw anything detailed.

nkarafo

SF3 increased the standards in sprite animation in fighting games.

It's hard to go back to the CPS1 SF2 standards again. Which is a shame because the HD version cleaned up the sprites but didn't add any extra frames of animation so it looks jerky.

nded

I don't mean animation by frame count, but animation by squashing and stretching, which my gif demonstrates. Though the game does have it's moments.

I dunno, Guilty Gear X wasn't exactly a squashy stretchy sort of game in the first place.

Nuu

Banned
Can't sell DLC costumes for sprites. 2D Animation in fighters is dead a buried after BlazBlue's run ends.

People keep saying this but so many upcoming fighters are graphically 2D. Pretty much every fighter that isn't NRS, SNK, or Capcom uses 2D animation. Outside of the upcoming Punch Planet, I can't think of an upcoming 3D animated fighter with 2D gameplay. I guess Fighter Ex Layer?

I guess I can include ASW with SNK and Capcom, but it's still too early to say. And if costumes are the argument, mind you Xrd style makes it pretty difficult to make costumes as well due to it all being animated key frame by key frame, hence why only Elphelt is the only character with an alt costume.

Oemenia

Banned
Amazing stuff. Can anyone explain why animating sprites are so hard to draw?

So basically why did SSF2THDR and BlazBlue look like ass.

KoF12 sprites are kinda cheating since they were basically made in 3D.

This is DRASTICALLY minimizing the amount of work and effort put into them. There's nothing wrong with using reference models. Pixel art is primarily about using individual pixels/colors to convey detail and movement in a model. Whether the base is someone coming up with the anatomy and lighting from scratch or starting with a model, sketch, etc, it's still a difficult and complex process.

Amazing stuff. Can anyone explain why animating sprites are so hard to draw?

So basically why did SSF2THDR and BlazBlue look like ass.

Well they upped the resolution significantly while maintaining the exact same number of frames, to maintain parity with the original, which was incredibly jarring. Not to mention, the Udon artstyle was kind of shitty and a huge step down from Capcom's internal artists, Kinu Nishimura, Bengus, and especially Daigo Ikeno who did the excellent portrait art for SF3

jett

D-Member
For me it's a real shame that ArcSys decided to imitate the same low-frame/budget-looking animation of GGX in Xrd. It does animate slightly better than the 2D games at least.

KoF12 sprites are kinda cheating since they were basically made in 3D.

They used 3D models mostly for lighting/shadowing reference. It's all pixel art. It's not cheating.

Tizoc

Well they upped the resolution significantly while maintaining the exact same number of frames, to maintain parity with the original, which was incredibly jarring. Not to mention, the Udon artstyle was kind of shitty and a huge step down from Capcom's internal artists, Kinu Nishimura, Bengus, and especially Daigo Ikeno who did the excellent portrait art for SF3

While you can't fault UDON for being SF fans, their art just didn't do it in HD Remix.
I do agree that seeing the characters in any of their artists' styles (AKIMAN!) would've been an interesting thing to see.

Top Bottom