• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokédex 3D announced for eShop (Free). Gotta 3D 'em all!

Neo Child

Banned
Also, since this won't be able to be opened mid-game I assume, isn't this a bit useless because most of the time you'd need to open it while you play Pokemon - so you'd have to quit the game, open this & load it back up. Would work well if the 3DS could multi-task.

vareon

OMG Aero said:
Why is this a killer app for me? It's just a Pokedex.
I hope it isn't like the Unova Pokedex on the official website that specifically doesn't include certain late game gen 5 Pokemon like Volcarona and the legendaries you can obtain after beating the game.

Why is it a killer app for you?

It's a cool little application that one can download for free and put it on their 3DS. Basically it's something cool (and useful to some, I assume) and most importantly free, something that is quite rare for a company such as Nintendo nowadays.

swerve

Neo Child said:
Also, since this won't be able to be opened mid-game I assume, isn't this a bit useless because most of the time you'd need to open it while you play Pokemon - so you'd have to quit the game, open this & load it back up. Would work well if the 3DS could multi-task.

It's a new streetpass game, essentially. By the looks of things, anyway.

It's not for in-game reference. you already have a pokedex in game for that and this one is unrelated to the monsters you have caught in game (sadly).

swerve

vareon said:
It's a cool little application that one can download for free and put it on their 3DS. Basically it's something cool (and useful to some, I assume) and most importantly free, something that is quite rare for a company such as Nintendo nowadays.

'Most importantly' for me, it allows me to put more stuff on my system to make it feel personalized and mine. My DSi is rammed full of awesome little games and weird trinkets. This is a good sign that that is set to continue on 3DS. Which means the eShop is going to *rock* for me.

Neo Child said:

You can play the game on your DS and use the Pokedex on your 3DS. Doesn't everyone have a DS? :)

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Teknoman said:
Man...Pokemon 3DS is going to be insane when it hits. I wonder if you'll be able to use the AR cards with them too? Make for some more nice VS shots.
If they manage a game with all the Pokemon to date rendered in 3D, able to battle it out on your table top using AR cards, that would be absolutely awesome.

I don't have a 3DS, but things like the target shooting/Wii face shooting games are really impressive! Imagine all these awesome battle animations and special effects tearing up your living room :D

Morokh

Nice little free app.

And quite a good way to make more casual people 'learn' about all the 3DS can do and most of all it's online capabilities !

And it also means that all Pokemons already have been modeled in 3D .. huhu :D

CoolS

Amazing what kind of splash such a little thing causes .

but very nice, will look forward to it in less than a week :)

swerve

Morokh said:
And quite a good way to make more casual people 'learn' about all the 3DS can do and most of all it's online capabilities !

PokeMon is casual? Man, I *never* get these definitions right.

ShinNL

This is pretty damn exciting. Not that I care that much about a Pokédex (I do have Pokémon White though), but that we just get free stuff on the 3DS. If Nintendo (and hopefully other companies) keep this up, it'd be interesting how much of an entertaining device the 3DS becomes.

swerve

Soneet said:
This is pretty damn exciting. Not that I care that much about a Pokédex (I do have Pokémon White though), but that we just get free stuff on the 3DS. If Nintendo (and hopefully other companies) keep this up, it'd be interesting how much of an entertaining device the 3DS becomes.

The best thing about the DSi - FlipNote Studio - was free and highly entertaining. Similarly, Wii Channels kept coming for years. All three console manufacturers find new ways to add value to their systems nowadays as time goes on, for free. Nintendo just does it in really cute ways.

ShinNL

Maybe games can't be casual or hardcore. Pokémon can be both, depending on the perspective. I'd say the game is targeted to casuals of a certain group and people far outside that target group playing it are pretty hardcore. Like if a woman in her thirties makes amazing LEGO buildings, I'd say that she is hardcore.

bon

This is really cool. Giving away free little apps is a great way to get people on the store, and spotpass is a smart way to make sure people keep their 3DSes online. I hope Nintendo keeps this stuff up.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
$200 said:
Cool. Now integrate this with AR. Infinite profits.

Indeed.

However I'm thinking this need to be AR.

Pok%C3%A9mon_Trading_Card_Game_Coverart.png

It is destiny for it to happen. That or Nintendo wants to miss out on tons of potential cash.

BooJoh

I seriously doubt the 3DS could differentiate between the vast number of Pokemon cards with the lousy cameras it has.

Besides, what's the point in having a TCG on a handheld if the entirety of the actual gameplay is done with real cards, and the system is just a $250 window to see pokemon rendered on top of said cards?

Morokh

swerve said:
PokeMon is casual? Man, I *never* get these definitions right.

Pokemon is played by both what you would call casual and hardcore players

But my point was that even if you don't play the usual games, at least you know what Pokemon is.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
BooJoh said:
I seriously doubt the 3DS could differentiate between the vast number of Pokemon cards with the lousy cameras it has.

Besides, what's the point in having a TCG on a handheld if the entirety of the actual gameplay is done with real cards, and the system is just a $250 window to see pokemon rendered on top of said cards?

Someones no fun.

Not to mention you have it all wrong. Why would it have to recognize hundreds of real cards? I want an actual game like the GBC one. You would only need 1 AR card out that you already own by buying the 3DS and the other person has his AR card out. The rest of the card gameplay stuff is done and shown on the bottom screen. Not like it would be required to play the entire game, just a bonus mode for 2 players with the same game. It would be a hell of a lot easier to do than a Yugioh game using AR cards.

dock

It'll be really interesting if Nintendo start to make 'apps' that can run without shutting down the existing game. Mac style dashboard apps would be brilliant for quick reference without relying on the browser.

With the browser and paint/notepad apps already allowing for multitasking, I'm excited to see whether they'll expand this to future apps.

BooJoh said:
It can differntiate millions of QR codes. Pretty quickly and painlessly too I might add, you don't need a high end camera for that sort of thing.

SalsaShark said:
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/media/26460/4/7.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/media/26460/4/4.jpg[IMG]

i will be sad the day these replace sprites[/QUOTE]
Hopefully they will get rid of the horrendous high pitched sound effects while they are at it.

seady

Man when Pokemon 6th Gen hits, I can't wait for them to turn the 3DS into a real Pokedex. Imagine street passing with stranger to fill up new Pokemon slot in Pokedex.

swerve

rpmurphy said:
Nice app. This explains though why TPC is sending arund C&D's to shut down mobile Pokedex apps like PokeDroid.

That, and The Pokemon Company are as protective of their licenses as Disney.

Poyunch

How did I miss this yesterday? Really interested in the potential of finally getting a full 3D Pokemon (finally). Still sad the sprites never got super animated though. But that might still happen.
Mista Koo said:
I've just remembered these:
url]

I'm still sad that I never got one :(
I totally had one of those. Such a badass toy too bad I lost it. :(

Mista Koo said:
I've just remembered these:
http://i.imm.io/6545.png[/IG]
I'm still sad that I never got one :([/QUOTE]Don't remind me. I remember a mall near me had a Pokemon Center in Sears. So fucking awesome ;_;

RpgN

You can only check info and take pictures of Pokemon?

Either way, it's free and I'll DL it ASAP when it's released!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Showmeyamoves said:
Indeed.

However I'm thinking this need to be AR.

Pok%C3%A9mon_Trading_Card_Game_Coverart.png

It is destiny for it to happen. That or Nintendo wants to miss out on tons of potential cash.

So it's like Eye of Judgment? O:

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
calling it now, when the 3ds pokemon game comes around, you'll be able to walk up to somebody else with the game, start a local battle, throw down an AR card and have your pokemans fight each other on the sidewalk.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Futureman said:
http://www.abload.de/img/69s48.jpg[img]

First e-shop screen? Can't see much but I don't think anyone has mentioned this in here.

A "Mario" app?[/QUOTE]
It has been mentioned before in this very thread, and, no, it isn't the first eShop screen.

Futureman

From The Dust said:
E-shop has been shown off ages ago

OH. Ha. I didn't really get excited about 3DS until about a month ago when I bought it. Didn't even realize there were already videos of the e-shop. Looks very impressive, much nicer than Wii's e-shop.

Rapstah said:
Would they even be able to pull off 3D depth in any way with sprites? Serious question.

3D classics are 2D games with 3D effects. I guess it would be similar to how Street Fighter looks in 3D?

Michan

69s48.jpg

Nintendo is terrible at UI design, and it shows here.

They even placed the white drop shadow above the "Main menu" text, despite it being below the "Balance" text. With regards to aesthetics, remembering the direction of light is one of the top priorities... otherwise it just doesn't make sense.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
They wouldn't make all these 3D models just for this app, right? Hopefully the 3DS Pokemon games have graphics similar to these, not just in battles but everywhere. With better lighting and some shaders and what not it would look pretty impressive I think, though for this app they're sufficient as is.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Michan said:
69s48.jpg

Nintendo is terrible at UI design, and it shows here.

They even placed the white drop shadow above the "Main menu" text, despite it being below the "Balance" text.
Looks fine and easy to use actually, much like Wii menus. That drop shadow is probably "below" the internet stuff that are above the "Main menu" text.

Top Bottom