• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Hey all, I'm a tad late but I just got around to opening my Un'Goro packs. I ended up with just over 100, and I was pretty happy with the results ^_^. I recorded my pack opening and you can watch it here.

TL;DW:
I got 10 legendaries in 103 packs, and only one was a dupe! :D

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Control warrior still seems like a pretty hard counter to time warp mage because of dirty rat. Play it late and you are very likely to pull something critical and the hero power puts a pretty big clock on them.

Not as much as justicar against freeze mage of course.

yeah gonna be a lot of sad pirate warriors out there with all these great taunts and consistent decks now that reno is gone. Reno really helped screw this game. I really didnt enjoy Reno mage at all but Tempo mage just felt lackluster (so felt forced into kaz + reno when I played mage unless I was in Wild)

Time Warp is so much fun. Taunt Warrior is tons of fun. Quest rogue is a blast.

Feeling like a brand new fun game

lol everyone blamed aggro but Reno was the real villain all along.

Ketch

Can someone tell me if the shaman 4/2 weapon that summons a 4/2 elemental triggers the condition for having played an elemental last turn? I don't understand

Peléo

Can someone tell me if the shaman 4/2 weapon that summons a 4/2 elemental triggers the condition for having played an elemental last turn? I don't understand

All Elementals card are 'Played an elemental last turn'. Hammer of Twilight summons a Elemental, so it doesn't trigger the effect.

Ketch

Peléo;233563986 said:
All Elementals card are 'Played an elemental last turn'. Hammer of Twilight summons a Elemental, so it doesn't trigger the effect.

Ok. So just to help me understand, something like patches or dishwasher golem wouldn't count as being played either?

Miletius

Volcanosaur just wrecks things in Arena. Getting Windfury + Not Targetable or Stealth is like a guaranteed Damage cannon

Nachos

Ok. So just to help me understand, something like patches or dishwasher golem wouldn't count as being played either?
The game differentiates between "play" (you putting the card on the fiel from your hand and paying the mana cost) and "summon" (a card being put onto the field from a deck, hand, or the void through secondary effects). Dirty Rat could pull an elemental from your hand, and it would count as being summoned.

Peléo

Exactly. Play a minion means using a Minion-type card from your hand during your turn to summon its respective minion.

Summon a minion is every method of putting a minion on the board (Spells, Battlecries effects such as Barnes, Deathrattle effects such as Devilsaur Egg and, obviously, playing a minion).

For example, if you play the card Alleycat, you summoned two minions but only played one of them.

Hopefully, this explanation was clear enough. This part of the game might be a bit confusing.

Dahbomb

LOL @ celebrating loss of Reno day 2 of expansion. Aggro definitely is not dead among Rogue, Pirate Warrior, Hunter decks and Zoo. I don't know about everyone else but my games have definitely been fast and not often reaching the 10 mana slot.

In any case I got to play around with a bunch of cards both today and tomorrow.

Devilsaur Egg + Raptor: Just going to talk about them together since they are similar cards in similar decks. These cards have been good to me and not just together but standalone too. Great additions to Zoo. I haven't gotten the coveted 7/7 on the Raptor though but the Battlecry isn't hard to activate in Zoo.

Lakkari Sacrifice + Felhound + Clutchmother Zavas: This quest is not that good in Zoo. I have been able to get the quest off just barely and even then it has not been too instrumental in winning me games often times. Honestly Lakkari Sacrifice is just anti-synergy with itself... you want a decent handsize to discard with but with Lakkari Sacrifice you automatically start the game with 1 less card. That sort of works if you want to play the Discard synergy without actually discarding your hand but that works against the quest. I had to unlearn my habits playing Discard Zoo to play Lakkari. Because the Discard number is quite high, you are forced to use the Felhound which in all honesty is not at all a bad card... I am perfectly fine playing that card in the quest deck. You really need to play this card to consistently meet the quest requirement. Clutchmother is also another card that you need to play in Quest Zoo otherwise you will often end up having an empty hand with nothing to discard. I think Clutchmother is good enough to be played in regular Discard Zoo too, the card has not disappointed. Felhound can be cut in regular Discard Zoo. So day 2 opinion is that regular Discard Zoo > Lakkari Zoo.

Jewel McCaw + Crackling Razormaw : These cards are 5/5 must include Hunter cards for regular Hunter decks. By regular Hunter decks I mean those which want to curve out and go face which is 100% of Hunter decks, do not even fool yourself for a second. Razormaw has definitely over performed for me, it's a staple 2 drop for Hunter now IMO.

Dinomancy: I gave this card a 3/5 and I still feel I overrated it. I played it in a Midrange Hunter deck and I often found myself not playing it to play better tempo cards or just not gaining much off of it. I managed to get 3 hero powers with it in one game and I still lost that game. Definitely cutting this card from all Hunter decks. Hunter is a poorly designed class that just wants to play stuff on curve and go face... this loses you tempo. Also there were situations where I wanted to keep my original hero power to get free damage without having a board in place.

I want to try out Stampede next but don't have enough dust in general.

Bitterhide Hydra: This card has been very good to me and has wons games. In two games I almost got punished hard (one time I got Aldor'd and one game I got Unleashed) but right now your average player is for sure misplaying against it. This card still feels slightly too aggressive for Midrange Hunter but it's a PERFECT fit for Hybrid Hunter if someone makes it. Will definitely be keeping it in my Midrange Hunter deck for now and will try it again in Face Hunter.

The Elementals: None of the Elementals have really disappointed so far. I think the low end Elementals minus Firefly have been the weakest (the 2 drop ones) but all the other ones have performed well. Blazecaller is insane, Firefly is insane and even Ignius has been very good. I see actual potential in Handbuff + Elemental deck for Paladins. Granted I have not played around with Pyros yet.

Warrior Quest + Taunts: Taunt Warrior deck has been perfectly fine for me. The deck works as like a faster Control/Fatigue Warrior. As far as individual taunts go, the 5 mana Taunt is fine, nothing too great but can be pulled from Curator. Same for Dinohorn, just gives you something to do on turn 6... in most cases it has in fact been better than Sunwalker. Didn't need Tar Lord, Bog Creeper did work.

The MVP has been that new Dragon. Being able to pull it on command with Curator and then play it as another taunt is very nice. I know the pro streamers have been using Deathwing instead or in conjunction but I am really big on Primordrial Drake in this new Warrior deck.

The 3 mana Discover Taunt is also pretty good especially if you want faster quest activation. Basically double dips as a taunt activator for the quest. Solid card in general especially against aggro.

Handlock: People thought Handlock was dead, well it's not dead... well not entirely. Razorleaf fits in well enough that you can now go ham on the taunt activators. This means that you can almost always reliably have some taunts up with double Shamblers/Sunfury/DoA. You can now go toe to toe with Zoo and Pirate Warrior because they will struggle to break the taunt wall. You are still going to struggle against stuff like Mage and Hunter who can burn over the taunts but those match ups have always been bad for Handlock so it's something that long time players should be familiar with. Double Doomsayer for early game protection, Shadowbolt for the hard to kill early stuff and then a teched in Felfire Potion for Rogues which I am like 50/50 against using this deck. I don't think Handlock wins this match up because even if you somehow survive the onslaught, they have a shocking amount of card draw and value to outlast you with 5/5s being generated.

These are the only two quests I have.

Like... you can play Zoo and not feel bad.
The reason Zoo wasn't that good because it was punished by Pirate Warrior, Shaman and actual Patches aggressive decks. You can play Zoo now because Shaman is worse. Zoo was already on the rise after the recent nerfs to Shaman and with Shaman being less aggressive that makes Zoo better to play.

Which might not even last if stuff like Handlock becomes good. This "new" Handlock deck crushes Zoo.

Midrange decks crushed Reno decks. Healing to full doesn't help you that much against Midrange decks. Jade Druid versus Reno Mage is a 9-1 match up. Those Midrange Shaman decks never complained about those Reno decks ruining the meta for them.

Ketch

Peléo;233564372 said:
Exactly. Play a minion means using a Minion-type card from your hand during your turn to summon its respective minion.

Summon a minion is every method of putting a minion on the board (Spells, Battlecries effects such as Barnes, Deathrattle effects such as Devilsaur Egg and, obviously, playing a minion).

For example, if you play the card Alleycat, you summoned two minions but only played one of them.

Hopefully, this explanation was clear enough. This part of the game might be a bit confusing.

The alley cat example is what I needed to understand, two different definitions but not mutually exclusive. thanks!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah Crackling Razormaw is as disgusting as it looked. Hunter going first gets a giant boost if they do jeweled macaw/alley cat into that, and on the coin they can go kindly grandmother into it.

It's not hard to proc at all, once people start to realize to stop chasing the trap of the quest and just make an efficent midhunter it's going to be nasty.

Dahbomb

I also did pretty well against Quest Rogues using Hunter. But like it's pretty obvious that you can go under Quest Rogue.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Fine, I guess I'm retiring Murloc Paladin at 29-24. It's always nice to have a positive winrate at rank 9 through 7 this early in the season, but it's a rather slow climb. Positive winrate against Quest Rogue at 7-4 at least.

Trying J4CKIECHAN's egg druid now.

clav

Blizzard is raking in money on Asia servers.

Nearly everyone I play at Rank 25 has a stack of legendary cards with quests.

ZeroX03

Banned
Ravenous Pterrordax is quite good. Always getting strong value out of it. Stealth + Windfury, 7/7, Divine Shield + can't be targeted. Very sticky.

Also I'm not coming up against any Quest Rogues which is really frustrating, purposely built to beat them. What's with all the Priest?

Measley

Anyone have any luck making a Galvadon deck?

I'm pretty close to dusting him, and just going straight mid-range Paladin with Tarim instead.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm not any good at winning with quest rogue, so I'm temporarily playing a cheese mage with Kabal Lackey + Counterspell (and a ton of other spells).

I'm unlikely to ever win a legitimate game, but seeing a Mage instant surrender because they played their quest into a turn 1 counterspell was so worth it.

f0lken

Anyone have any luck making a Galvadon deck?

I'm pretty close to dusting him, and just going straight mid-range Paladin with Tarim instead.

I am like 50/50 with this, but I feel like is just a few adjustements to be a good deck, like wickerflame and the two tolvir haven't worked as I expected

tz2wAER.png

Dinomancy is a must in a quest deck. It elevates it from complete garbage to just crap.

Ungoro deck building: take the old jade decks and chuck in the good elementals. Boom.

Dahbomb

I'm not any good at winning with quest rogue, so I'm temporarily playing a cheese mage with Kabal Lackey + Counterspell (and a ton of other spells).

I'm unlikely to ever win a legitimate game, but seeing a Mage instant surrender because they played their quest into a turn 1 counterspell was so worth it.
AHAHAHAAH!!!!

Oh man meta breaker strat right there. Rogues would instantly concede if their Secret got Counter Spelled too.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Dog played the new ooze on a war axe, and a 3/8 taunt on 4 and still died on turn 6.

Pirate warrior boyz.

Butane123

AHAHAHAAH!!!!

Oh man meta breaker strat right there. Rogues would instantly concede if their Secret got Counter Spelled too.
I was running counterspell earlier just to complete the Summon 10 Secrets quest, I caught 2 Rogues playing it.

People are way too eager, so I'm sure it will only work for a few more days.

the warlock quest is garbo, but i have it, i put prince malchy in my deck for it, i think that's a fair idea since you need discard crap anyway and can use the leggys if they end up being good (they wont be but having extra cards to discard helps imo)

Top Bottom