• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

f0lken

This is me teching against Quest Mage lol

91-1003140-gold-1391710281.png

scarlet

This deck is way cool.

I just burgled a Lyra with it.

edit: And I just hallucinated a Velen, only to have it Dirty Rat'd out into a double eviscerate by me.

This is exactly the kind of deck that I was hoping would come from Ungoro. I shoulda been messing with stuff like this earlier today instead of worrying about nonsense like quests.

I keep getting Velens consistently against priest. is such naughty fun with evis :)

Sadly I haven't met priest. Faced a lot of quest rogue and warrior, and completely owned them.

The only 3 losses were because I lost the board against hunter and zoo and no removal. And another one cuz I had bad hand with 3 coins, 2 preps until turn 6.

Those sorts of decks look cool, but I've never gotten a VanCleef or Patches or Thalnos (or Violet Teacher?) in all my Gadgetzan decks.

Those are from classic set.
I think patches and thalnos aren't really necessary​. But VC and VT are needed.

Nordicus

I also did pretty well against Quest Rogues using Hunter. But like it's pretty obvious that you can go under Quest Rogue.
Got a quest rogue who was getting Turn 5 prepped quest completion.

Didn't matter, after controlling the board for the start of the game, finishing the opponent off was just a matter of summoning Timberwolf for the ratpack rats.

The bounce nutdraw left the opponent with barely any removal. Felt really good
This is me teching against Quest Mage lol

91-1003140-gold-1391710281.png
Oh man, given how often mage ends up at 1 HP with ice block, that's pretty gooooood

patchday

wow finally come across a kazakus mage while I was on my Control Shaman. that was a fun match. its so nice when they dont have a burst heal

come to think of it I enjoy fighting priest now that they lack Entomb

now starting to realize why a lot of folks steer clear of Wild. So much crap I dont want to deal with

Those sorts of decks look cool, but I've never gotten a VanCleef or Patches or Thalnos (or Violet Teacher?) in all my Gadgetzan decks.

I remember those days. eventually I unpacked all of those (although I did have to craft thalnos)

fuck this shitty game and fuck rogue quests.

I thought this game might have gotten better and spent $50 on packs only to realize that it's just as shitty as two years ago.

Brode needs to fucking go.

zoukka

This pic might trigger some people. I was at 2 and he was at 15. Yogg summons a 1v1 beast and then plays Kill Command to opponents face bringing him down to 10 while I have pyroblast in hand...

I thought this game might have gotten better and spent $50 on packs only to realize that it's just as shitty as two years ago.

lmao

patchday

poor Ben gets blamed for like everything

(lol your name fits with the post so hard)

patchday

^ they might lack the cards. a lot of dudes didnt save gold for expac I guess

(my friend and I are debating when to start saving gold for the next one- we may wait a month to start saving again)

patchday

WHY CANT BRODE BE FIRED.

He's by far the most god awful lead designer blizzard has.

edit: whatever, I'm just gonna go back to games that are actually fun and don't require an ass load of time spent or money.

ya I just thought it was kinda funny your name matched the tone of your post.

But that's the important thing my fellow gaf if you burned out then by all means take a break and if you miss it later then return.

patchday

LOL @ celebrating loss of Reno day 2 of expansion. Aggro definitely is not dead among Rogue, Pirate Warrior, Hunter decks and Zoo. I don't know about everyone else but my games have definitely been fast and not often reaching the 10 mana slot.

In any case I got to play around with a bunch of cards both today and tomorrow.

Devilsaur Egg + Raptor: Just going to talk about them together since they are similar cards in similar decks. These cards have been good to me and not just together but standalone too. Great additions to Zoo. I haven't gotten the coveted 7/7 on the Raptor though but the Battlecry isn't hard to activate in Zoo.

Lakkari Sacrifice + Felhound + Clutchmother Zavas: This quest is not that good in Zoo. I have been able to get the quest off just barely and even then it has not been too instrumental in winning me games often times. Honestly Lakkari Sacrifice is just anti-synergy with itself... you want a decent handsize to discard with but with Lakkari Sacrifice you automatically start the game with 1 less card. That sort of works if you want to play the Discard synergy without actually discarding your hand but that works against the quest. I had to unlearn my habits playing Discard Zoo to play Lakkari. Because the Discard number is quite high, you are forced to use the Felhound which in all honesty is not at all a bad card... I am perfectly fine playing that card in the quest deck. You really need to play this card to consistently meet the quest requirement. Clutchmother is also another card that you need to play in Quest Zoo otherwise you will often end up having an empty hand with nothing to discard. I think Clutchmother is good enough to be played in regular Discard Zoo too, the card has not disappointed. Felhound can be cut in regular Discard Zoo. So day 2 opinion is that regular Discard Zoo > Lakkari Zoo.

Jewel McCaw + Crackling Razormaw : These cards are 5/5 must include Hunter cards for regular Hunter decks. By regular Hunter decks I mean those which want to curve out and go face which is 100% of Hunter decks, do not even fool yourself for a second. Razormaw has definitely over performed for me, it's a staple 2 drop for Hunter now IMO.

Dinomancy: I gave this card a 3/5 and I still feel I overrated it. I played it in a Midrange Hunter deck and I often found myself not playing it to play better tempo cards or just not gaining much off of it. I managed to get 3 hero powers with it in one game and I still lost that game. Definitely cutting this card from all Hunter decks. Hunter is a poorly designed class that just wants to play stuff on curve and go face... this loses you tempo. Also there were situations where I wanted to keep my original hero power to get free damage without having a board in place.

I want to try out Stampede next but don't have enough dust in general.

Bitterhide Hydra: This card has been very good to me and has wons games. In two games I almost got punished hard (one time I got Aldor'd and one game I got Unleashed) but right now your average player is for sure misplaying against it. This card still feels slightly too aggressive for Midrange Hunter but it's a PERFECT fit for Hybrid Hunter if someone makes it. Will definitely be keeping it in my Midrange Hunter deck for now and will try it again in Face Hunter.

The Elementals: None of the Elementals have really disappointed so far. I think the low end Elementals minus Firefly have been the weakest (the 2 drop ones) but all the other ones have performed well. Blazecaller is insane, Firefly is insane and even Ignius has been very good. I see actual potential in Handbuff + Elemental deck for Paladins. Granted I have not played around with Pyros yet.

Warrior Quest + Taunts: Taunt Warrior deck has been perfectly fine for me. The deck works as like a faster Control/Fatigue Warrior. As far as individual taunts go, the 5 mana Taunt is fine, nothing too great but can be pulled from Curator. Same for Dinohorn, just gives you something to do on turn 6... in most cases it has in fact been better than Sunwalker. Didn't need Tar Lord, Bog Creeper did work.

The MVP has been that new Dragon. Being able to pull it on command with Curator and then play it as another taunt is very nice. I know the pro streamers have been using Deathwing instead or in conjunction but I am really big on Primordrial Drake in this new Warrior deck.

The 3 mana Discover Taunt is also pretty good especially if you want faster quest activation. Basically double dips as a taunt activator for the quest. Solid card in general especially against aggro.

Handlock: People thought Handlock was dead, well it's not dead... well not entirely. Razorleaf fits in well enough that you can now go ham on the taunt activators. This means that you can almost always reliably have some taunts up with double Shamblers/Sunfury/DoA. You can now go toe to toe with Zoo and Pirate Warrior because they will struggle to break the taunt wall. You are still going to struggle against stuff like Mage and Hunter who can burn over the taunts but those match ups have always been bad for Handlock so it's something that long time players should be familiar with. Double Doomsayer for early game protection, Shadowbolt for the hard to kill early stuff and then a teched in Felfire Potion for Rogues which I am like 50/50 against using this deck. I don't think Handlock wins this match up because even if you somehow survive the onslaught, they have a shocking amount of card draw and value to outlast you with 5/5s being generated.

These are the only two quests I have.

The reason Zoo wasn't that good because it was punished by Pirate Warrior, Shaman and actual Patches aggressive decks. You can play Zoo now because Shaman is worse. Zoo was already on the rise after the recent nerfs to Shaman and with Shaman being less aggressive that makes Zoo better to play.

Which might not even last if stuff like Handlock becomes good. This "new" Handlock deck crushes Zoo.

Midrange decks crushed Reno decks. Healing to full doesn't help you that much against Midrange decks. Jade Druid versus Reno Mage is a 9-1 match up. Those Midrange Shaman decks never complained about those Reno decks ruining the meta for them.

nice post but bro what are your thoughts on Elemental Shaman?? You crafted Kalimos right? I just crafted Kalimos so meaning to give elemental shaman a deeper look but having too much fun with miracle rogue (this expac gave us lots of new shiny toys). I love this little plant that removes enemy minions. such a life savior

edit- and I will never miss reno (in response to 1st comment). I posted my stats awhile back- all my favorite decks are usually favored against them or at worse 50%

ya I just thought it was kinda funny your name matched the tone of your post.

But that's the important thing my fellow gaf if you burned out then by all means take a break and if you miss it later then return.

I did take a break, I came back and spent $50 on packs and got one damn legendary. The priest quest.

I built a functional deck around that with N'Zoth and deathrattle minions. Only to play games where rogues get their quests complete by turn 3 with fucking pirates.

Trying out Elemental Shaman. It's really, really bad. Probably worse than I expected even. Only decent class card is Kalimos and it's not enough to carry the deck. Blizzard's going to have to give the archetype a hell of a lot in the future if it's ever going to be viable in my opinion.

patchday

I did take a break, I came back and spent $50 on packs and got one damn legendary. The priest quest.

I built a functional deck around that with N'Zoth and deathrattle minions. Only to play games where rogues get their quests complete by turn 3 with fucking pirates.

oh no not the priest quest. I had a "spectate friend" quest and had to give up on him ever winning. And he was rank 21. He had priest quest, lyra, etc.

went and spectated a miracle rogue after that and got that quest completed asap. so went miracle after that

go to Wild to play that quest or look at Kripp's deathrattle priest. he seemed to be wrecking. I think disguisedtoast.com might have some decent decks but I'm not risking my stars on that till I get to next rank floor

Ladekabel

Really enjoying the meta right now. Have yet to match up against a Pirate Warrior, never faced a Quest Rogue with any class but Taunt Warrior and have yet to lose against the deck. And getting a little taste for Handlock is great. Kinda sad I missed it back in the days. Deck is so much fun.

Would like to play Rogue and Druid, too. Are there some decklists that don't run quests?

scarlet

oh no not the priest quest. I had a "spectate friend" quest and had to give up on him ever winning. And he was rank 21. He had priest quest, lyra, etc.

went and spectated a miracle rogue after that and got that quest completed asap. so went miracle after that

go to Wild to play that quest or look at Kripp's deathrattle priest. he seemed to be wrecking. I think disguisedtoast.com might have some decent decks but I'm not risking my stars on that till I get to next rank floor

Oh, so you were the one who spectated me lol.

I have problem remembering my friend list.

Really enjoying the meta right now. Have yet to match up against a Pirate Warrior, never faced a Quest Rogue with any class but Taunt Warrior and have yet to lose against the deck. And getting a little taste for Handlock is great. Kinda sad I missed it back in the days. Deck is so much fun.

Would like to play Rogue and Druid, too. Are there some decklists that don't run quests?

My rogue deck is in previous page. 17-3 so far.

Edit:

scarlet

Trying out Elemental Shaman. It's really, really bad. Probably worse than I expected even. Only decent class card is Kalimos and it's not enough to carry the deck. Blizzard's going to have to give the archetype a hell of a lot in the future if it's ever going to be viable in my opinion.

What's your deck? I reach 10 from 14 with elemental shaman.

My only problem is that sometimes you end up with empty hand, and then you draw elemental but can't use the battlecry cuz you didn't play any elemental in previous turn.

zoukka

Yeah midrange seems completely dead.

Quests will combo you out.

Face decks will face you out.

Are you playing elemental shaman ... with all the jade cards? Because that is the one every other man and his dog is playing and it is very effective unless you are playing one of the other top decks.

Sigh.

I think what gets me about this expansion is that unless you want to play cancer... and of course 99% of people do you are really playing recycled versions of decks...that used to be better.

For example I've been trying to make a nice deathrattle priest quest deck. And you can do it, and it is fine...but compared to deathrattles of the past it is all just a bit boring. Although I just did get boar + frost shock to the face on turn 1... so there is still some fun to be had.

Tried pure elemental and jade hybrid. I don't think either are particularly strong to be honest. Way too easy to fall behind and unless you're running Bloodlust I'm not sure what your win condition is.

Like, just playing both the Shaman and Paladin variants, the Paladin version absolutely trounces the Shaman version and that's a class with no real Elementals outside of Lightlord.

Tried pure elemental and jade hybrid. I don't think either are particularly strong to be honest. Way too easy to fall behind and unless you're running Bloodlust I'm not sure what your win condition is.

Like, just playing both the Shaman and Paladin variants, the Paladin version absolutely trounces the Shaman version and that's a class with no real Elementals outside of Lightlord.

Jade win condition is your opponent is playing something other than jade and you are not dead yet.

It isn't a long term strategy, but it sure destroys the fun of people experimenting, so there is that.

Arjen

Been playing the priest recipe deck. Its pretty fun and easy to get the quest off. Playing against pirate warrior and getting. It to work is the best feeling

FeD.nL

Yup, really impressed by the Paladin version though. Works way better than I expected.

zoukka

The feel when you rip Sacrificial Pact as Rogue from Warlocks.

All these fancy new cards and pirate warriors are still crushing faces.

Old proven archetypes don't suddenly start to suck when new cards come in. In fact they are better in ladder for a while when everyone is still experimenting.

FeD.nL

Legend cardback, playing Warrior, well at least you don't have to expect the quest from them.

edit: That's the one thing I really hoped for this year, for them to implement an actual tournament mode. For all the stuff you face on the ladder, the biggest enemy of the game is the ladder itself. I wish there was a tournament mode, bring 5 decks get to ban 2 and just, put a entree fee on it. Even if it was just for the weekends. Would make the ladder less toxic for F2P/New players because the ones that played the game longer/spent more are probably playing the tournament mode for better rewards.

Ah well, there is always next year..

Zemm

I enjoy it so far, absolutely hated MsoG. Even though there are some powerful options right out of the gate I think there is way more potential for other decks to also reach that level, or near that level.

For me it's less about powerful decks and more about playing against decks that are fun, and so far there's a serious lack of those. Playing against rogue, mage and pirate warrior is fucking awful and those are the three most powerful decks right now, and in turn the most common. Even the weaker decks like hunter just spew 1 mana minions at you then rely on card draw from the raptors to win or lose. The game is just in a really shit state, like the guy you quoted i think I'm done for now, i dunno why i thought things would get better when it's obvious they wouldn't. And some people thought Brode would make the game better lol

vall03

Dammit! I could have won against a Quest Rogue using a shitty daily quest deck. Fucking Swashburglar gave my opponent that new AoE Corruption. Once my board was dead, I couldn't get tempo back and he was able to complete the Quest which took him more than 10 turns.

Peléo

My rogue deck is in previous page. 17-3 so far.

Edit:

Rogue got a lot of good tempo tools this expansion. Not sure if you have the card, but I would like to know how the new legendary fits into this deck. With Auctioneer, Violet Teacher, Hallucination, Van Cleef and Razopertal, you probably can get 2 or 3 turns playing more than 4 cards.

scarlet

Peléo;233577116 said:
Rogue got a lot of good tempo tools this expansion. Not sure if you have the card, but I would like to know how the new legendary fits into this deck. With Auctioneer, Violet Teacher, Hallucination, Van Cleef and Razopertal, you probably can get 2 or 3 turns playing more than 4 cards.

I don't have the cards, and I'm not sure if I wanted to craft and use it. Eloise's deck use Sherazin, but I prefer Leeroy as finisher.

When Sherazin dies, and you play 4 cards to revive it, you still need to wait another turn so it can attack again. With 5/3 body I think it dies easily, and it's like a wasted turn for me. And I don't run backstab, 2 cheap spells to revive it. I prefer envenom so I can kill 2+ HP minions.

pirate warrior was never gone but I've only seen one jade druid, one druid in total actually.

well I lost a couple games in a row and overreacted a little, but that is what hearthstone is about.

I have also run into a beast druid without quest that I don´t know what it is.

_DrMario_

Finally made it to Rank 5. Fastest I've ever made it to that rank. Made it to Rank 10 with Taunt Warrior and Quest Rogue. Then to Rank 8 with J4CKIECHAN's Midrange Paladin. After that I played Discolock with Clutchmother Zavas to Rank 5.

Quest Rogue was almost non-existent after Rank 10 and when I did face it with Discolock, it would get crushed.

Top Bottom