• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Dahbomb

nice post but bro what are your thoughts on Elemental Shaman?? You crafted Kalimos right? I just crafted Kalimos so meaning to give elemental shaman a deeper look but having too much fun with miracle rogue (this expac gave us lots of new shiny toys). I love this little plant that removes enemy minions. such a life savior

edit- and I will never miss reno (in response to 1st comment). I posted my stats awhile back- all my favorite decks are usually favored against them or at worse 50%
I played Jade Elemental Shaman and won most of my matches at around rank 10ish. It's a very solid Midrange deck and when it gets the curve going it's hard to beat. The early game is weak pressure wise without the broken Trogg and Golem though. I think the Paladin Elemental might be better because while that has weak early game too, the ramp up is better with the handbuffs.

You can win against Pirate Warrior because it has some heals and taunts plus tempo removal. Can win against Taunt Warrior because Midrange beats that.

Grief.exe

ZFXxmY7.jpg

Measley

Gotta wonder why people are still playing Paladin murloc in standard when the Shaman quest is available.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Edit: I should just post the chart for yesterday and today, and skip the first day insanity.

This is rank 9-6 opponent class percentages over 75 games.

hH6n0Fl.png

It's all Rogue and Warrior, though Warrior has has as many or more Taunt Warriors as Pirate Warriors.

I guess people don't have a clear Mage, Druid, Priest, or Paladin netdeck for easy wins yet. I imagine that will change eventually.

ricelord

need someone to test this out:

i think that that nozdormu stops the radiant + shadow skip turn bug.Not sure if my opperent didn't do it righ,t but i had nozdormu on my broad and doing my turn my rope didn't burn and i could play my turn normally as if nozdormu effect wasn't in effect.

The rogue quest would be broken if conceal was still a thing.

Might try a wild out to find out

In wild I might try brann. Getting double battlecries off novice engineer, swashburglar, and fire fly is a big deal and shadowstep makes it easy to get multiple hits off.

On the other hand, I don't see how conceal helps it much. It doesn't run auctioneer and it doesn't run QA. Conceal would only help a little the turn before you play the quest reward. Too situational.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
In wild I might try brann. Getting double battlecries off novice engineer, swashburglar, and fire fly is a big deal and shadowstep makes it easy to get multiple hits off.

On the other hand, I don't see how conceal helps it much. It doesn't run auctioneer and it doesn't run QA. Conceal would only help a little the turn before you play the quest reward. Too situational.

I do feel conceal would be terrifying for me as an opponent with zoo. Usually you need to deal with one 5/5 so they don't just one turn kill you while you chip away their last bit of health. And killing the small minions on board the turn before the quest is so crucial to winning.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Shadowstepping novice or swash already tends to leave your hand full. Brann would probably mill you on your big turns.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Since 4/5 of my ladder matches are Quest Rogue, is there a deck that beats it reliably? I would prefer to play Warlock or Hunter decks.

Any aggro deck.

Midrange Hunter slaughters Quest Rogue very reliably.

speaking of which, I'm absolutely convinced now that throwing a million one drops into a hunter quest deck is absolutely the wrong way to play it.

You throw in 7 or 8 one drops MAX, make sure a couple of them are the kind that generate other one drops, then toss in that 3 mana elemental and play regular hunter curvestone.

This gives you a way better early and midgame, and it means once you actually complete the quest your deck is a lot smaller so you have a better chance of chaining raptors.

manhack

Haven't had time to dig in as much as I'd like since I'm busy right now, but pretty lame most of my opponents have been quest rogue or warrior(mostly pirate, but some taunt). Even more so since one of my 3 legendaries is the rogue quest and I hate playing the most popular class since you get put in mirror match or counter deck most games.

Hopefully folks can find some powerful decks in other classes. I mean, I have positive winrate against rogue while playing warlock and hunter, so it's not like they can't be beat.

It just sucks the community is so lame they just jump on the OP flavor of the moment.

I just had a kinda funny thing happen. I started up a Hearthstone game, but got distracted by a visitor a couple of turns in and just completely forgot I'd been playing.

I glance back at my computer, realize I'd left mid-game, but what I see is, several turns later, my opponent, a priest, spamming Shadow Visions into Shadow Visions.

I gotta wonder if me going afk just happened to coincide w/ him doing that turn-skipping thing or if he was just messing around and knew I was gone, I dunno but it was hilarious to see.

Dahbomb

Dirty Rat is low key the best card in the game right now.

*Messes up Taunt Warriors because if their taunt gets played through Dirty Rat it does not count for the quest.

*Destroys Exodia Mage if Sorceror Apprentice gets pulled.

*Messes up Rogues because if one of their cards gets pulled that was on 2-3 times played, they have to find a new way to get that number because Dirty Rat played card doesn't count.

*Destroys Murloc Shaman, Beast Quest Druid, Quest Hunter, Quest Priest if you pull out the 5 mana 8/8.

*Still good against Pirate Warrior as its still a taunt.

I am trying to squeeze Dirty Rats in my Handlock deck somehow.

Mixed2k

If quest rogue becomes too problematic you can always play counter quest rogue.... with 2x dirty rat. And you keep bouncing them back until you get your quest and your opponent won't be able to finish theirs.

Not serius

Htown

kinda feel bad dipping back into pirate warrior.... but dammit I'm 20 wins from a golden hero, and that taunt quest ain't droppin so I'M IN CHARGE NOW

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Any aggro deck.

Midrange Hunter slaughters Quest Rogue very reliably.

speaking of which, I'm absolutely convinced now that throwing a million one drops into a hunter quest deck is absolutely the wrong way to play it.

You throw in 7 or 8 one drops MAX, make sure a couple of them are the kind that generate other one drops, then toss in that 3 mana elemental and play regular hunter curvestone.

This gives you a way better early and midgame, and it means once you actually complete the quest your deck is a lot smaller so you have a better chance of chaining raptors.

That is maybe the best way to play the deck, but it still is really bad that way, because half the time you never complete the quest, and spend 1 mana and a card to do nothing.

Htown

That is maybe the best way to play the deck, but it still is really bad that way, because half the time you never complete the quest, and spend 1 mana and a card to do nothing.

the thing is, since you're just trying to curve out, you don't actually have to play the quest super early

i still have to do more testing, but most of the time it's better to just drop a 1 mana minion on turn 1, then just go 2, 3, whatever, and drop the quest next time you're floating a mana anyway

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Funny how easy it is to get value with Repentance against Elemental Shaman. Just wait until he plays an elemental late game.

patchday

How does that Miracle Rogue deck kill without Conceal or Leeroy? Does Sherazin get charge when you revive it?

Well the variant I run has 2 x Arcane Giants and Edwin. It's kind of a much more honest way of killing the opponent since they can definitely see it coming.

Right now people are kind of dumb and keep killing Sherazin. Even in high legend Thijs was saying this even though he could often revive him the following turn.

So I suspect the card is better then it should be. guess 5 dmg is a bit tough to ignore though

edit- it definitely doesnt charge. I wish it would.

I played Jade Elemental Shaman and won most of my matches at around rank 10ish. It's a very solid Midrange deck and when it gets the curve going it's hard to beat. The early game is weak pressure wise without the broken Trogg and Golem though. I think the Paladin Elemental might be better because while that has weak early game too, the ramp up is better with the handbuffs.

You can win against Pirate Warrior because it has some heals and taunts plus tempo removal. Can win against Taunt Warrior because Midrange beats that.

yeah I dont play Paladin if I can help it so shaman it is. I can also go with a Control Elemental shaman. will test later today

Edit: I should just post the chart for yesterday and today, and skip the first day insanity.

This is rank 9-6 opponent class percentages over 75 games.

hH6n0Fl.png

It's all Rogue and Warrior, though Warrior has has as many or more Taunt Warriors as Pirate Warriors.

I guess people don't have a clear Mage, Druid, Priest, or Paladin netdeck for easy wins yet. I imagine that will change eventually.

I enjoy playing Taunt warrior occasionally. watching savjz try to wrestle with the deck right now

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Dirty Rat is low key the best card in the game right now.

*Messes up Taunt Warriors because if their taunt gets played through Dirty Rat it does not count for the quest.

*Destroys Exodia Mage if Sorceror Apprentice gets pulled.

*Messes up Rogues because if one of their cards gets pulled that was on 2-3 times played, they have to find a new way to get that number because Dirty Rat played card doesn't count.

*Destroys Murloc Shaman, Beast Quest Druid, Quest Hunter, Quest Priest if you pull out the 5 mana 8/8.

*Still good against Pirate Warrior as its still a taunt.

I am trying to squeeze Dirty Rats in my Handlock deck somehow.

I'm sticking him in all of my decks now lol

the thing is, since you're just trying to curve out, you don't actually have to play the quest super early

i still have to do more testing, but most of the time it's better to just drop a 1 mana minion on turn 1, then just go 2, 3, whatever, and drop the quest next time you're floating a mana anyway
Exactly this. I haven't been able to try it out since I don't have the quest, but I was also thinking the same thing for other quests. You don't HAVE to play the quest on turn one. I keep running into quest mage players that will play quest on turn one and then babbling book on turn 2... and I'm like... why? Why not just play the quest later.

I'm thinking of trying some way different decks for quest mage once I craft the card. The shit being played now just doesn't seem all that great to me. I think I'd rather try a more traditional tempo mage while doing the quest.

Dahbomb

Quest Rogue is easy to misplay and people are still learning it, not a straight forward deck so I expected winrates to be lower right now across the board.

Interesting to see Elemental Shaman high up in the win rates.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Yeah the 3/3 adapt when you hit hero card can snowball like few other things in this game. Windfury into elusive can be gg even in constructed.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Yay! Made rank 5 with Murloc Paladin. So many taunt warriors today, but eventually made it through the wall. Worst part is you can't do good mulligans against a warrior at all anymore. Taunt Warrior and Pirate Warrior are so incredibly different.

Decklist

Stats

Rogue is mainly 50/50 because I ran into a few murloc rogues, and they're hard to gain a board against before they use their Murloc snowball cards. It is good against Quest rogue, but i guess more like 60% than the 80% i was hoping for.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Crafted Rogue's Quest card, and in typical RNG fashion I have difficulty drawing the cards needed to complete the quest, while every other Rogue I've played gets every card they need in a few turns.

I dumped Violet Teacher and Moroes from Quest Rogue and it's been much more consistent. The deck steamrolls once you get the quest anyway, so they're basically win more cards that sit dead in your hand while you're trying to get the pieces together

Rogue plays Auctioneer then draws 7 cards off it on the same turn, then drops two 0 mana Arcane Giants.

Nah guys, Auctioneer didn't need to go to the Hall of Fame. Why would anyone think that?

Thanks for being forever incompetent Blizzard.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I dumped Violet Teacher and Moroes from Quest Rogue and it's been much more consistent. The deck steamrolls once you get the quest anyway, so they're basically win more cards that sit dead in your hand while you're trying to get the pieces together

What did you dump them for.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Quest Rogue is easy to misplay and people are still learning it, not a straight forward deck so I expected winrates to be lower right now across the board.

I imagine this has an element of truth to it, but I should mention that I was making the comparisons against the BEST version of Quest Rogue, which runs a no-frills elemental package (61.6%), rather than the exceedingly popular Dog list that runs Violet Teacher and Moroes (51.5%). The elemental package is probably easier to pilot since you don't have to "choose" which minion to bounce so much.

Tempo Mage in Wild has so many options now I don't know what to run.
Well the variant I run has 2 x Arcane Giants and Edwin. It's kind of a much more honest way of killing the opponent since they can definitely see it coming.

Right now people are kind of dumb and keep killing Sherazin. Even in high legend Thijs was saying this even though he could often revive him the following turn.

So I suspect the card is better then it should be. guess 5 dmg is a bit tough to ignore though

edit- it definitely doesnt charge. I wish it would.

yeah I dont play Paladin if I can help it so shaman it is. I can also go with a Control Elemental shaman. will test later today

I enjoy playing Taunt warrior occasionally. watching savjz try to wrestle with the deck right now
Thanks for explaining.

Dahbomb

Damn Kripp went hard on Blizzard with their money grubbing tactics in Ungoro.

He's not entirely wrong on that front... this is the most costly expansion in terms of trying out new decks assuming even less than half of the quests end up being viable.

I already know that it was costly for me just to try out the Lakkari Quest for Warlock. Had to craft both Zavas and the Quest. Zavas has been pretty good but the Quest has been really mediocre, I think so far it feels bottom 3 quest from the set. So yeah someone like me got shafted for experimenting but I am not complaining because I knew the risks involved in experimentation.

But this really sucks for the new player experience. Seeing all these Quest decks and you can't play them because you didn't shell out the cash for them.

I imagine this has an element of truth to it, but I should mention that I was making the comparisons against the BEST version of Quest Rogue, which runs a no-frills elemental package (61.6%), rather than the exceedingly popular Dog list that runs Violet Teacher and Moroes (51.5%).
I think best version of Rogue Quest is going to be one that optimizes bounces, draws and charge minions. The Elemental package is definitely nice (which I theory crafted previously) but compared to the faster version it's just too slow. And as far as Violet Teacher/Moroes go, the other guy is right... they are win more cards you would just do better with more draws and cheap minions that you can play after the quest, charge into face or bounce back for value.

Top Bottom