• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Butane123

Is it just me, or did Druid get completely shafted in Un'Goro? Hardly seen it played at all since rotation.
I got the quest to win a few games with him today, and I just can't win anything. Granted I didn't get much from my packs for him and am running a bastardized Jade Druid, but I haven't won a single game with it.

Also starting to feel like I'm the only person who hasn't pulled a quest from any packs I had.

What did you dump them for.

4gPkBtt.jpg
It's been working really well. Having the elementals gives tons of ways to complete the quest cheaply without always relying on your bounce. Also gives you tons of minions in your hand to dump once you complete it. I put the single sap in to send back early van cleefs and some of the priest/paladin buff minions. Also helps with lethal with all the charge minions if there's a taunt on the board and can stall pirates a little.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Damn Kripp went hard on Blizzard with their money grubbing tactics in Ungoro.

He's not entirely wrong on that front... this is the most costly expansion in terms of trying out new decks assuming even less than half of the quests end up being viable.

I already know that it was costly for me just to try out the Lakkari Quest for Warlock. Had to craft both Zavas and the Quest. Zavas has been pretty good but the Quest has been really mediocre, I think so far it feels bottom 3 quest from the set. So yeah someone like me got shafted for experimenting but I am not complaining because I knew the risks involved in experimentation.

But this really sucks for the new player experience. Seeing all these Quest decks and you can't play them because you didn't shell out the cash for them.

So because introduced a cool new mechanic and attached it to legendaries for practical reasons, that's called money-grubbing?

The number of legendaries in this expansion is not much higher than any other expansion. I really don't think that's a fair criticism. Anybody crafting legendaries this early in an expansion's release should realize the risks.

It's been working really well. Having the elementals gives tons of ways to complete the quest cheaply without always relying on your bounce. Also gives you tons of minions in your hand to dump once you complete it. I put the single sap in to send back early van cleefs and some of the priest/paladin buff minions. Also helps with lethal with all the charge minions if there's a taunt on the board and can stall pirates a little.

The version with the highest winrate on HSReplay is basically this list, but cuts the Sap and VanCleef for 2x Mimic Pod.

Grief.exe

Wow I really want to try out the Quest Priest. Looks like a lot of fun, but it's expensive.

Quest
N'zoth
Umbra
Bloodmage
2x Glimmer root
1x Primordial Drake

I can probalby trim 1x Glimmer, Umbra, and Bloodmage to get me started.

Barrage

I haven't had any firm complaints about the meta since Undertaker, but Rogue Quest is so broken it's depressing. You could up the amount of Minions needed to 6 and it's still broken. You could raise the cost of the card to 10 and it would still be viable.

I find myself just shutting off the game whenever I play one. I've been playing since the Beta.

Dahbomb

So because introduced a cool new mechanic and attached it to legendaries for practical reasons, that's called money-grubbing?

The number of legendaries in this expansion is not much higher than any other expansion. I really don't think that's a fair criticism. Anybody crafting legendaries this early in an expansion's release should realize the risks.
I do think having 9 deck defining/build around Legendaries is indeed a problem especially for new players. The total number of Legendaries isn't a problem, I would rather have good Legendaries than pack fillers, but the type of Legendaries introduced is certainly is as those quest decks cannot function without those specific cards.

This is even worse than having a build defining Epic as it's still twice the cost.

I think one of the ways to alleviate this is to have another one of those Beginner/Welcome bundles that guaranteed a class legendary from Classic. Only this time have it guarantee a Quest that you do not have (or make the Quest be golden so you can DE it in case it's a duplicate). Blizzard would make a lot of money from this and it would make a lot of people happy too.

Xanathus

Wow I really want to try out the Quest Priest. Looks like a lot of fun, but it's expensive.

Quest
N'zoth
Umbra
Bloodmage
2x Glimmer root
1x Primordial Drake

You don't even need Bloodmage, Glimmer root, or Primordial Drake in a Quest Priest deck.

Nachos

But this really sucks for the new player experience. Seeing all these Quest decks and you can't play them because you didn't shell out the cash for them.
And if they were to start now, wouldn't they only get three packs? That's nothing.

What practical reasons? Not trying to be passive-aggressive; I'm genuinely curious.

ZealousD

I do think having 9 deck defining/build around Legendaries is indeed a problem especially for new players. The total number of Legendaries isn't a problem, I would rather have good Legendaries than pack fillers, but the type of Legendaries introduced is certainly is as those quest decks cannot function without those specific cards.

This is even worse than having a build defining Epic as it's still twice the cost.

I mean, maybe? But should Blizzard be called "money-grubbing" because of that? They introduced a cool new thing that people want to try. They had to make that thing legendary for practical reasons. They reduced the number of neutral legendaries to compensate.

I'm sure if Blizzard started selling cheap card packages that guaranteed a random quest, people would find ways to complain about that, too. "I got the Druid quest which sucks. Blizzard we should be able to choose which legendary quest we get."

DSmalls84

I really like Umbra in Quest priest. People aren't as quick to remove it as they were with Brann (yet) but it is super flexible. Drop Cairne or Devilsaur egg for board, or Loot hoarder/Thalnos for some card draw.

Dahbomb

That's why I said it should be Golden Quest so that if you get a Dupe you can just DE to get another one.

Quests should be epics, making two class legs is a money grab.
That doesn't work, having two Quests is terrible in most cases.

I say most because the Mage can still make use out of two Quests and get two extra turns LOL!

Rogue quest isn't broken. It has clear undeniable weaknesses but people need to play to that.

Also it is going to destroy certain kinds of decks if those decks don't run specific tech cards.

It reminds me of how people playing non-blue control decks in MtG would get crushed by fast combo decks. If you played Parfait, or Lands, or Pox... you were going to get crushed by fast combo like (any Storm deck in the game) or High Tide. It was just something you learned to accept as part of the meta game.

Hell, in MtG fast combo decks *also* crushed aggro decks unless you were, once again, playing blue based aggro control with broken free counterapells (I.e. Delver, a bigger cancer one drop than Hearthstone has ever seen). Zoo? Forget about EVER beating quick combo decks. (And yeah, that's the Zoo that gives the Hearthstone deck it's name).

Just a bit of perspective for ya'll.

TankUP

With Hall of Fame dust I don't think there was any need to offer a free quest.

These ppl are just mad they crafted Marsh Queen instead of Caverns Below LOL.

The version with the highest winrate on HSReplay is basically this list, but cuts the Sap and VanCleef for 2x Mimic Pod.

Mimic Pods seem too slow to me if you're also running fan. You basically have to prep them, and unless I hit both preps I'd much rather use it on the quest itself. Also Mimic can backfire hard if it hits evis, backstab, fan, or prep and stall you even further.

I might try swapping them back in and testing a bit more though.

I've played against Quest Rogue in 6 of my last 7 games.
I'm trying to run Elemental Jade Shaman, but it doesn't look like a great matchup for me. Seems like my only chance to win in that matchup is for my opponent to get a bad starting hand, and for me to mulligan hard for anything Jade. Even then I probably only win like half the time. If I can't ramp up my Jades in the first few turns, I'm already dead.

If Rogue's minions were 5/3, it wouldn't be so bad. Tar Creeper, Jade Lightning, Kalimos and Fire Elemental would all be decent answers. Instead you're forced to just go face with everything and try to win by turn 7, which the deck is obviously not built for.

So basically you have two choices, also play Quest Rogue (bleh), or play one of the seemingly few decks that can counter Quest Rogue (bleh)

ZealousD

What practical reasons? Not trying to be passive-aggressive; I'm genuinely curious.

1. The mechanic only works with one copy of the quest in your deck. They needed to put the card in the starting mulligan and some quests like the Rogue Quest would create pointless rewards if you included two copies of a quest in your deck. So it makes sense to force it so that you can only put one copy of a quest in your deck.

2. By attaching the mechanic to legendaries instead of some other rarity like epic, rare, or common, that easily communicates that you can only put one copy in your deck. Otherwise they would have to create special exceptions to existing rules by creating special epics or special rares that can't be collected twice.

3. Blizzard generally uses rarity as a gatekeeper to keep mechanically more difficult or unique cards from being easily collected. That way, players will generally have to be more skilled or more familiar with the game as a whole before experimenting with something they don't know how to use. Quests are some of the most mechanically difficult, unique, and complex cards they have ever printed, so it does make a lot of sense that people should have an idea of what a card does before earning or crafting it.

4. Quests are also cards that do enormously cool things and it just makes sense for cards that special to be legendaries. Even if those other 3 points weren't necessarily true, that's just standard CCG practice. You want people to desire your rarest cards.

I think they wanted to add legendary spells for a while. Quest is the way they made legendary spells a thing without being entirely broken or too weak.

There is also no real reason why it should be treated different from any other quest. Sometimes you need legendary cards to run certain decks, sometimes you don't.

You can probably run discard lock without the quest. You can run discard without zavas. You can run discard lock with one and without the other. It's not that burdensome as some are making it out to be.

hey man just get a stronger start, easy peasy
You're talking about a deck that spends at least 4 full tuns of doing nothing.

Play a deck that provides immediate early pressure. That's how card games work. You're not going to beat the fast engine combo deck with slow reactive control decks.

In fact even in MtG traditinal blue control loses to fast engine combo like Storm. Why? Because they have no clock and combo can sculpt the perfect hand even through counter magic. The only blue control decks that have stood a chance is the ones that completely lock their opponents out of the game by playing Counterbalance, a card which means their combo opponents aren't going to resolve a single relevant spell for the rest of the game after turn 3. That, plus Jace lock.

So unless they print a card like counterbalance that says "your combo deck no longer gets to play the game, also I'm going to take 10 turns to kill you now by controlling every card you draw through Jace..." slow taunt control is not going to beat quest Rogue anymore than Pox (a mono black control deck) will ever beat Ad Nauseam Tendrils.

Kripp just posted a dope one that is very similar to the one I'm running right now, sans all the expensive cards.

https://i.im=G][/QUOTE]

I've played against a deck like this today. They didn't play ysera though. I beat it with my quest rogue list with really awkward draws at least towards quest completion, but tons of removal via vilespine slayer. After 2 dragonfire potions I still won the turn after they played nzoth and revived some taunts as well.

[quote="Officerrob, post: 233591715"]He says that about every deck he plays[/QUOTE]

But if thijs brings it to legend rank 1 that will be the third miracle sherazin deck to hit rank 1 legend today.

Blizzard

Banned
I play against quest rogue. They play their quest on turn 4 and have 2 minions alive.

Next game I'm playing as quest rogue with 6 bounce cards. Oops, even with mulligan, 5 of them were in my bottom 12 cards. Even a priest was able to deal lethal before I drew that far. :(

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I forgot Sergeant Sally existed until I saw it when I was looking for something to dust.

Guess it's worth a try in Quest Paladin.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I made a list of all the legendaries and epics I want to craft for the expansion.

Legendaries:

Open the Waygate
Awaken the Makers
Umbra
Elise

Epic:

Primordial Glyph
Shadow Visions
Curious Glimmeroot
Hydra
Blazecaller
Primordial Drake

It ends up being around 12000 dust (if you include Tony which I also still need). I have around 6300 dust on hand, so it is going to be a while.

I am not sure which to prioritize. Might be priest stuff since I like playing wild a good bit. Mage stuff just looks fun though.

I dumped Violet Teacher and Moroes from Quest Rogue and it's been much more consistent. The deck steamrolls once you get the quest anyway, so they're basically win more cards that sit dead in your hand while you're trying to get the pieces together
While I do agree and I have been experimenting with taking them out and putting in other shit, they make for nice targets if I'm trying to stall another turn to get the quest done. I'll just throw it out there for them to kill it and buy me another turn.

Nordicus

These ppl are just mad they crafted Marsh Queen instead of Caverns Below LOL.
...but I like Marsh Queen :(

I mean, it's not great, but I like playing a kind of combo variant of quest hunter with more utility type 1-drops, and it's still fast enough to shit on quest rogue. Everyone wants to be a fucking Spike
Right now people are kind of dumb and keep killing Sherazin. Even in high legend Thijs was saying this even though he could often revive him the following turn.
There seem to be as many people who don't know how to play it, though admittedly I've only seen it once. :p

Kept slamming it down with 1-drops during Cult Master and Abusive Sergeant turns, barely spending any resources.

cHinzo

Has anyone tried to make the biggest Questing Adventurer possible with Shadow Vision and Radiant Elemental?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Thoughts on my Beast hunter deck?

I was thinking maybe replacing the nesting roc with a second tundra rhino. But it has been kind of clutch in a game or two. Tundra rhino can create crazy swing and burst turns though.

Dahbomb

Thoughts on my Beast hunter deck?

I was thinking maybe replacing the nesting roc with a second tundra rhino. But it has been kind of clutch in a game or two. Tundra rhino can create crazy swing and burst turns though.

Replace Griveous Bite with second Hydra.

Magnus

This is the slowest, most control-heavy and enjoyable meta I've ever experienced. I'm so happy. I'm between 10 and 15 on ladder, and rarely encounter aggro decks.

It's my Deathrattle Quest priest up against
- quest rogues (who I'm 50:50 against)
- quest shaman (who usually beat me, but long after turn 10)
- quest mages (quest seems slow, I crush them before they can really line things up)
- hunters (some quest, some not, I win most of these)
- mirror matches, which get to like turn 20 and are SUPER Fucking fun and epic fights (and I have like an 80:20 Winrate)

No paladins, warriors, Druids, or warlocks. Meanwhile, if I try out Wild, all I see are these four classes.

I honestly haven't seen evidence of the meta so many of you are describing. Even the awful rogues seem defeatable half the time.

1. The mechanic only works with one copy of the quest in your deck. They needed to put the card in the starting mulligan and some quests like the Rogue Quest would create pointless rewards if you included two copies of a quest in your deck. So it makes sense to force it so that you can only put one copy of a quest in your deck.

2. By attaching the mechanic to legendaries instead of some other rarity like epic, rare, or common, that easily communicates that you can only put one copy in your deck. Otherwise they would have to create special exceptions to existing rules by creating special epics or special rares that can't be collected twice.

3. Blizzard generally uses rarity as a gatekeeper to keep mechanically more difficult or unique cards from being easily collected. That way, players will generally have to be more skilled or more familiar with the game as a whole before experimenting with something they don't know how to use. Quests are some of the most mechanically difficult, unique, and complex cards they have ever printed, so it does make a lot of sense that people should have an idea of what a card does before earning or crafting it.

4. Quests are also cards that do enormously cool things and it just makes sense for cards that special to be legendaries. Even if those other 3 points weren't necessarily true, that's just standard CCG practice. You want people to desire your rarest cards.

I'm kinda on board with points 3 and 4, but 1 and 2 can be done away with by having quests be a new rarity tier. They can be as common as epics in packs, but still be limited to one per deck. I don't think that would be too confusing.

On that note, they'll have some work to do in terms of communicating what happens when more quests are created. Will we be able to have more than one quest in a deck and go for two different goals?

JesseZao

First expansion I completed on the first day with packs and dust. Gotta save up that gold for the next one. The cost/grind of this game has to be unbearable for newbies.

It costs too much to come in fresh. Classic set needs to be free. They need to give away more free cards or have a weekly rotation of free decks. A new mode like sealed draft where you keep some or all of the cards. A try/playground mode that replaces casual mode and all cards are unlocked, but you don't earn rewards and lets you duel with custom rules.

They need to get ahead of the QoL/player acquisition problems soon.

Ladekabel

I would like it if they would go away with duplicate legendaries in packs if you got a version in your collection already and still have some left to go. After opening my fourth or fifth Malygos in my brawl pack on Wednesday, opening two dupes in the welcome pack while still missing a few classic legendaries and seeing Kripp getting some legendaries for the seventh time in his Un'Goro opening somehow makes me slightly mad.

sibarraz

Banned
I loved what shadowverse did, sell prebuilt decks with popular archetypes, that way they could still earn money and people could catch up quick without spending big amounts of money, also they didn't include cards from latest expansion, so they could still sold those.

The begginer pack that secured one legendary was a good move by blizzard

I loved what shadowverse did, sell prebuilt decks with popular archetypes, that way they could still earn money and people could catch up quick without spending big amounts of money, also they didn't include cards from latest expansion, so they could still sold those.

The begginer pack that secured one legendary was a good move by blizzard

They've said they won't sell cards that way. It's a good thing because it doesn't make old users feel bad for dumping 50 usd on an expansion.

Miletius

Turn 4 druid lethal at the collegiate tourney. Innervate into Vicious Fledgling -- Turn 2 windfury into untargetable.

Uh, lol.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

Quest
N'zoth
Umbra
Bloodmage
2x Glimmer root
1x Primordial Drake

I actually managed to pull all the Un'gore cards that are needed for the deck, so I'll likely toss it together at some point. The fact that Umbra works on summoned minions is something I overlooked, which makes it a lot better.

jblank83

So I pulled Kalimos in one of my 5 free packs. Had most of the other pieces, so I put together an elemental deck with a nice but not insane end-game.

It's a pretty solid mid-range option. Seems to deal well with quest rogue too. To be fair, though, I'm playing low rank.

Top Bottom