• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Are quests Spell cards? For the purposes of activating shit, and can they be counterspelled?

Yes, I learned this the hard way.

Midrange hunter is indeed superior to quest rogue -- mostly because by the time they are done bounding you have them on the ropes already. And if they don't get the perfect bounce they are dead before they get to you.

I've teched in two hunter's mark for absolute must kill targets, and it works great against any slower decks you face as well.

I expect it to get harder though once I get to levels where people are better. I think quest rogue is a bit harder to play than other aggressive decks because you have to set up the combo early but also know when you need to defend. A lot of people at the ranks I'm playing at are still all in on the quest even though they could probably beat me if they put the breaks on for a turn or two in order to defend.

I think it depends on the list tbh. I have beaten every single midrange hunter to a pulp but I am not running dog's list which a lot consider to be inferior to a list with elementals. I also run vanish so I can set the midrange hunter really far back.

Here is a match where I had terrible draws as you'll see. I draw all my top end.

https://hsreplay.net/replay/5LkDQWveQUdnSBJuAJbTw8

Still won because hunter has a very hard time fighting for the board once you take it from them.

Primordial glyph just seems like it feels good to play.
It's my unexpected favorite card of the set. A cheap way to tech to your situation AND it's a tempo gain. Turn 5 Flamestrike? Yes and thank you! I crafted 2 and don't regret it, though I'm starting to regret crafting the Mage Quest.

Magnus

God damn, I love Quest/Deathrattle priest so much. Elise and N'Zoth in there make it so righteous too. Glad I made crafted both as goldens! Those two and Kazakus so far. I plan on making one choice golden legendary every expansion, ideally one of the more playable and awesome ones that also happen to generate more golden cards. :p

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It's my unexpected favorite card of the set. A cheap way to tech to your situation AND it's a tempo gain. Turn 5 Flamestrike? Yes and thank you! I crafted 2 and don't regret it, though I'm starting to regret crafting the Mage Quest.

Have you just been trying the mage quest in an exodia/otk deck?

scarlet

God damn, I love Quest/Deathrattle priest so much. Elise and N'Zoth in there make it so righteous too. Glad I made crafted both as goldens! Those two and Kazakus so far. I plan on making one choice golden legendary every expansion, ideally one of the more playable and awesome ones that also happen to generate more golden cards. :p

Playing in standard? How's it doing?

akinkcl

Neo Member
I think it depends on the list tbh. I have beaten every single midrange hunter to a pulp but I am not running dog's list which a lot consider to be inferior to a list with elementals. I also run vanish so I can set the midrange hunter really far back.

Here is a match where I had terrible draws as you'll see. I draw all my top end.

Still won because hunter has a very hard time fighting for the board once you take it from them.[/QUOTE]

What's your quest rogue list?

Have you just been trying the mage quest in an exodia/otk deck?

I've tried it in the following:
Tempo Mage
Exodia (Thijs' list)
Reno Exodia

In Tempo Mage I find it to usually be a "win more" card instead of a win card. In Exodia I find myself struggling to survive until I get the full combo. In Reno Exodia I can't keep my hand empty enough to manage the combo (waiting for good times to Kazakus, Cabalist's Tome, Reno, use clears, and Soulcaster means that you can't also have 4 cards sitting around in your hand waiting for a combo). I think doing Reno Arcane Giant+Alex OTK might be better, though - I haven't tried it yet, but it should be more manageable than the Sorcerer's Apprentice combo. I'm just not happy about how it auto-loses in some matchups like old Freeze Mage. Part of the appeal of Exodia Mage to me was that it doesn't lose to Warrior decks.

I also wonder if N'Zoth Shadowform Reno Quest Priest might be good - the quest gives you a ton of resources and survivability along with Reno, which lets Shadowform really do its work in an efficient way. I would have to craft Raza and the Priest quest to find out, though, and I'm trying to keep myself from burning all my resources in an unwise manner. I already spent 3000 dust on a deck that I can't make work. :-/

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I've tried it in the following:
Tempo Mage
Exodia (Thijs' list)
Reno Exodia

In Tempo Mage I find it to usually be a "win more" card instead of a win card. In Exodia I find myself struggling to survive until I get the full combo. In Reno Exodia I can't keep my hand empty enough to manage the combo (waiting for good times to Kazakus, Cabalist's Tome, Reno, use clears, and Soulcaster means that you can't also have 4 cards sitting around in your hand waiting for a combo). I think doing Reno Arcane Giant+Alex OTK might be better, though - I haven't tried it yet, but it should be more manageable than the Sorcerer's Apprentice combo. I'm just not happy about how it auto-loses in some matchups like old Freeze Mage. Part of the appeal of Exodia Mage to me was that it doesn't lose to Warrior decks.

I also wonder if N'Zoth Shadowform Reno Quest Priest might be good - the quest gives you a ton of resources and survivability along with Reno, which lets Shadowform really do its work in an efficient way. I would have to craft Raza and the Priest quest to find out, though, and I'm trying to keep myself from burning all my resources in an unwise manner. I already spent 3000 dust on a deck that I can't make work. :-/

Yeah i want to try a full greed reno nzoth quest priest. I have raza but still need some greedy deathrattles i think. When you go greed in wild you need to go all the way.

Also Hotform is playing an elemental tempo mage with quest that looks fun but most of his games at rank2 are aggro/midrange games so he basically never keeps the quest.

wiibomb

Ok sharazin is pretty good with the current rogue.

That deck has so much card cicle.

Although I wonder if there is a different win condition other than constantly reviving sharazin and playing a huge vancleef.

Zakalwe

Banned
I sold all my shaman cards to build other decks a while ago, I can afford to build the Elemental Jade deck now but it will be all my dust.

Not only will it means I'll have a Shaman deck to play again, but I'll also have all the cards for Pirate Warrior too with Patches.

Sounds like a good deal for my dust right now, right?

Ok sharazin is pretty good with the current rogue.

That deck has so much card cicle.

Although I wonder if there is a different win condition other than constantly reviving sharazin and playing a huge vancleef.

Sherazin isn't really a win condition, just a ton of value over time. If you get in a face hit that is great, but the primary win condition is still cold blood and leeroy.

Hey all, I'm a tad late but I just got around to opening my Un'Goro packs. I ended up with just over 100, and I was pretty happy with the results ^_^. I recorded my pack opening and you can watch it here.

TL;DW:
I got 10 legendaries in 103 packs, and only one was a dupe! :D

I expected this to gain a little more traction, so I'll just spoil it: I got 10 legendaries in 103 packs! And of those, only one was a dupe -- The Marsh Queen -- and they came in sequential packs!

The list of what I got is:
-Tyrantus
-The Marsh Queen x 2
-Sunkeeper Tarim
-The Caverns Below
-Sherazin, Corpse Flower
-Unite the Murlocs
-Clutchmother Zavas
-King Mosh
-Hemet, Jungle Hunter

Finding a legendary one in ten packs isn't too crazy if you do it once or twice -- like you buy ten packs and find two legendaries. But I think that maintaining that average over 100 packs is kiiiinda nuts. In fact, near the end I found four legendaries in 16 packs.

Dahbomb

I was playing the Arcane Giant list today but didn't like it at all. Arcane Giants just sit in your hand for a long time if you get them early.

I went with Violet Teacher instead and that worked a lot better for me.

Granted I am no Rogue player though.

Sherazin and Mimic Pod have been great. Hallucination is decent and so is the new Razorpetal card but I am not at all convinced it's better than something like Xaril. Solid budget option though.

Zakalwe

Banned
Be grateful if anyone could give me some advice on the above.

I'm itching to build it now if it sounds like a good idea as I haven't played Shaman in ages, but I always make mistakes early on in the new releases...

vall03

I haven't been playing a lot because I have other games to play, how's Dinomancy on Midrange Hunter? During the Gadgetzan meta, I used Explorers Hat a lot and it was one of the cards that I found helpful. Or are there other better options that people are running now?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Ain't no way I'm playing dirty rat with rogue lol

Rogue is a pretty good matchup for those decks. You can bounce your charge minions to get around freezes.

I haven't been playing a lot because I have other games to play, how's Dinomancy on Midrange Hunter? During the Gadgetzan meta, I used Explorers Hat a lot and it was one of the cards that I found helpful. Or are there other better options that people are running now?

If you liked explorers hat you'll like dinomancy.

ZeroX03

Banned
Doing pretty well with Exodia Mage. Just too many frustrating times where the last piece of the combo is in one of the bottom two cards of the deck. Think I'm like 6-2? Still a lot of teching and optimization for me to do too.

Peléo

Still won because hunter has a very hard time fighting for the board once you take it from them.

What's your quest rogue list?[/QUOTE]

Great match, thanks for sharing. Your list is extremely interesting because you run higher curve cards. Wouldn't think most of them would work together.

There are several ways to build Quest Rogue, let's see what ends up being the most optimized list in a few weeks.

gutshot

I expected this to gain a little more traction, so I'll just spoil it: I got 10 legendaries in 103 packs! And of those, only one was a dupe -- The Marsh Queen -- and they came in sequential packs!

The list of what I got is:
-Tyrantus
-The Marsh Queen x 2
-Sunkeeper Tarim
-The Caverns Below
-Sherazin, Corpse Flower
-Unite the Murlocs
-Clutchmother Zavas
-King Mosh
-Hemet, Jungle Hunter

Finding a legendary one in ten packs isn't too crazy if you do it once or twice -- like you buy two packs and find two legendaries. But I think that maintaining that average over 100 packs is kiiiinda nuts. In fact, near the end I found four legendaries in 16 packs.

Yeah, that's pretty insane. I opened the exact same amount of packs as you and got "only" 5 legendaries.

Got Open the Waygate in my latest pack, put together exodia mage and am 5-0 so far. Holy shit, so much for the claims that there wouldn't be any combo decks in standard.

Dahbomb

If you liked Explorer Hat you will like Dinomancy.

But I didn't like xplorer Hat aND I don't like Dinomancy. Too slow for Hunter.

scarlet

Wanted to craft quest mage. But it's so expensive for me.

Antonidas 1600
Quest 1600
Glyph 400
Molten reflection 100
2 tome 800

Amount of dust needed 3700
Amount of dust I currently have in standard 2750

:(

Grief.exe

So there are supposed to be 3 expansions in 2017?

I don't remember this many decks being viable at the start of MSoG.

Wanted to craft quest mage. But it's so expensive for me.

Antonidas 1600
Quest 1600
Glyph 400
Molten reflection 100
2 tome 800

Amount of dust needed 3700
Amount of dust I currently have in standard 2750

:(

Got any wild legendaries to dust?

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Just opened the Rogue Quest, I don't have some of the key cards like Prep or Patches, but it still feels dirty to play. I might disenchant it because I'd rather have fun then win with brainless decks.

wiibomb

Sherazin isn't really a win condition, just a ton of value over time. If you get in a face hit that is great, but the primary win condition is still cold blood and leeroy.

Eloise cut leeroy for whatever reason and put in arcane giants.

I never put a leeroy or the giants, I think I'll set both giants with my version, sounds pretty reasonable.

I'll test is that way, I'm finding difficult to win games without sharazin

scarlet

So there are supposed to be 3 expansions in 2017?

I don't remember this many decks being viable at the start of MSoG.

Got any wild legendaries to dust?

Could get around 6k dust with that.

Or I could just playing the giant version. But Antonidas is way more cool :D

Anyone have a quest mage list?

Dahbomb

The Elemental Paladin deck sort of reminds me of Fairy decks in Shadowverse.

I really like the flow of the deck, the Fireflies fit very well with the handbuff mechanic.

Zakalwe

Banned
Well, seeing as no one saw it fit to stop me... I went ahead and crafted it.

You can blame yourselves for another Pirate Warrior running around, too.

scarlet

Is there any good deck tracker for mac?

Using the hstracker and it didn't track my last 2 matches.

Edit: instead of recording my match, it decided to record the game I was spectated. WTF

Zakalwe

Banned
Elemental Shaman not great?

It's really fun, lots of great combos like Blazecaller into Kalimos, and the elementals and jades work well together. I was just apprehensive about crafting as I've always made mistakes before so soon after launch, but I'm really happy with this. Really recommend it if you can build it.

It was a no brainier really as I got Patches for PW with it.

Noooooooooooo.

Bwahah!

patchday

I beat discard zoo with vineslayers. Finished quest but he was already out of steam by a mile.

https://hsreplay.net/uploads/upload/Kp6B55qQvF3FzBjQTUjFQm/?utm_source=hdt&utm_medium=client

Basically what happened is they played that huge taunt dude. I killed it was vilespine slayer. I had gotten mimic pod on vilespine slayer at that point. So when he played another I killed that too, then shadowstepped the other one to kill his 6/6 zavas (w/e the new lock legend is called). That actually finished my quest but they conceded since they ran out of resources due to discards.

interesting tech choices you have there. A quest rogue with a unique style

Quest rogue is the new Jade druid. Gets beaten by unfun aggro decks and beats most of the fun decks.

sounds like a pretty good evaluation

I saw 8 rogues in a row so I switched to Hunter and farmed them for 5 ranks. If you're having trouble with Rogue I highly suggest midrange hunter. They're fucking around with metapod and brewmasters and you're smashing them in the face. If they even do get their quest off they're usually so far behind that you just win. Here's a sampling of some of my games today, climbed from 17 to 10 with a 73% winrate thanks to all the rogues.

yeah Hunter is a bad match up for the typical quest rogue

To be fair it seemed like that card was on a lot of people's shit list before release. I wasn't super happy when I opened multiples of it lol. Decided to keep it after writing off Shaku too soon and dusting it last expansion.

oh noes you dusted shaku ;(

To be fair Shaku isn't currently in my Sherazin list. he was originally but I don't have the slot for him

funny thing I don't think I dust any legends. Still sitting on Black Knight & my golden cairne. Also still have nozdormu

Badgerst3

Craft Legendary Spiritsinger Umbra or Elise the Trailblazer?

Leaning towards quest priest but would dabble in Elemental priest as well.

Thoughts for longer term value?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Both are ultra risky to craft greedy cards. Neither may be in the meta in the very near future, but if you don't focus on just being as competitive as possible then they both seem like very fun cards.

You are way more likely to get fun value from Umbra on a regular basis than from Elise though.

patchday

seems odd too me people are teching Elise so much. She is definitely much more popular then Umbra. All that said- I still plan to acquire Umbra at some later date

Primordial Drake is a life safer! Also dat SW:D topdeck!

https://hsreplay.net/replay/MqwgA5TvrTjxQaBMFqFp2K

fun replay to watch. you made good discovery choices too. good solid plays.

For some reason I thought Sherazin was a 5 mana card instead of a 4 mana card. As you can imagine the evaluation ended up going rather poorly lol.

I usually don't watch previews myself so I won't hold it against you. I find it more interesting to go back and watch the previews after expac releases.

Sherazin looked like a shat card. only reason I gave it a chance cause I unpacked it (same thing happened with shaku)

(I still never respected it til some quest rogue beat me with Sherazin)

You can just look at some online tiers instead of taking my word for it:

http://metastats.net/

1 Pirate Warrior Deck
2 Token/Aggro Druid Deck
3 Elemental Shaman Deck
4 Control Warrior Deck
5 Quest Rogue Deck
6 Elemental Paladin Deck
7 Zoo Warlock Deck

I lost my old hard drive and somehow lost my a lot of old links from Chrome even though I thought I had them saved in the cloud. so forgot bout that site.

sad to see Pirate Warrior #1 still. just doesn't seem right. And such a high win rate. could it be they just taking advantage of the experimenters on the ladder....

Zakalwe

Banned
Ha, a rogue just stole a Wicked Witchdoctor, then generated FOUR Wrath of Air totems with low cost spells. I had no answers and had to sit there as he wiped my board with 1-2 cost spells. Ouch!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

Yep, I find it amusing that Mage has slowly been the "Underload" class, with their ability to pay mana ahead of time for future tempo in later turns. If it was a Rare card, Glyph would be in almost every mage deck for the next 2 years. In the Epic slot, its likely going to be a bit less common to see.

scarlet

Spectating a quest and apparently mac deck tracker think it was my deck and the results are added to my statistic. It didn't track my matches, but tracked spectated match.

Top Bottom