• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Applying for jobs is exhausting and soul-crushing

Slacker

So I could use a little help. My brother was "terminated" last week and is now on a job hunt. To give a little back story, my brother and I have worked in the Shipping department of a company started by our uncle for about 5 years now. Started doing a few things here and there, then part time and eventually full time right before he sold the company. After 3 years of new management, ups and downs, and eventually no work at all in the shop, they let go of half of the workforce in an afternoon, including my brother.

This has been our only job and our Uncle just said to come in so no experience with interviews or the act of searching for a job. My brother has been working on his resume and is starting to apply to jobs on Indeed but I think he's a little lost (I know I will be!). Are there any tips I could give him or ways to keep him encouraged?

I appreciate any help, I think I'll be needing myself soon enough anyway!
There's a wealth of information about job hunting out there, I'd say take in as much as you can. A few important (IMO) things to focus on:

- Sign up for LinkedIn if you're not already and turn on the "let recruiters find me" setting on the jobs page. Indeed seems pretty good too.

- How to format your resume. Especially if it's a little thin, there are ways to focus on the positives and minimize the fact that you have relatively low experience.

- What questions to anticipate during interviews. A lot of interviewers use the same or similar questions so look 'em up and be prepared to answer them.

- What questions to ask at interviews. You need to always be ready to ask questions at a job interview. It's a perfect opportunity for you to learn more about the position/company and for you to sneak in a little more about yourself by asking about an area you have experience in.

Overall remember that interviewing is like everything else - you get a little better at it every time you do it. Good luck to both of you!

Slacker

Do you guys usually send a thank you email after every interview?

Absolutely. It's a way to keep the lines of communication open between you and the company and set yourself apart from your competition a little. Maybe it won't get you ahead, but not doing it could certainly set you back.

Also use the thank you email (some will say write a real letter, I don't agree) to expand on anything you talked about during the interview you feel you didn't explain as well as you would have liked. Win/win.

So I could use a little help. My brother was "terminated" last week and is now on a job hunt. To give a little back story, my brother and I have worked in the Shipping department of a company started by our uncle for about 5 years now. Started doing a few things here and there, then part time and eventually full time right before he sold the company. After 3 years of new management, ups and downs, and eventually no work at all in the shop, they let go of half of the workforce in an afternoon, including my brother.

This has been our only job and our Uncle just said to come in so no experience with interviews or the act of searching for a job. My brother has been working on his resume and is starting to apply to jobs on Indeed but I think he's a little lost (I know I will be!). Are there any tips I could give him or ways to keep him encouraged?

I would say focus on your strengths when writing cover letters or CVs.

I've used Indeed and my searches have wlays focused on location or type of job. For instance, my gf's in north London so I literally just typed that in. If you're not picky and need a job, start by typing in your location of choice. Then start adding job titles but I've found that the same jobs can have different job titles across industries so that might get tricky (I was having no luck with 'transformation assistant' but got a lot of hits with 'project assistant'.

You'll probably find you'll sometimes narrow the search with specific terms, then maybe try broader.

Maybe try this https://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/cv/CVProfiles.htm

https://www.theguardian.com/careers/careers-blog/how-to-write-outstanding-cv-profile

https://www.cvplaza.com/cv-personal-profile/how-to-write-a-personal-profile-statement/

Not sure if that helped. Can definitely be frustrating, best of luck!

Biske

One bit of advice, don't get discouraged.

After I left my job cause it was going no where and I was wasting my time, I applied a bunch of places, got a lot of no's, had a hard time finding jobs that fit me or made sense, seriously some days, searching jobs all day finding nothing.

But trying again the next day and bumped into a job thats a great fit and I'll be starting soon.

Also keep an open mind looking at jobs, its really hard to tell what a job is based on the description sometimes, if half of it seems cool, go for it, ignore qualifications or experience and just go for it.

So, I got an offer as a full time customer service person for what seems like a business start up company. I agreed to go in for an interview tomorrow but I'm pretty nervous. I'm a highschool graduate but still in my teens, and this would be my first any kind of job. I mean making a couple thousand a month would be nice but I'm a bit afraid Of how long it might take me to adjust.

br3wnor

So, I got an offer as a full time customer service person for what seems like a business start up company. I agreed to go in for an interview tomorrow but I'm pretty nervous. I'm a highschool graduate but still in my teens, and this would be my first any kind of job. I mean making a couple thousand a month would be nice but I'm a bit afraid Of how long it might take me to adjust.

If you're ok with people shitting on you a lot, customer service isn't bad at all. Nothing really bothers me so working customer service was great for me in my teens-mid 20's, whereas my wife has a really short fuse when it comes to people talking down to her and could not deal well with customer service type jobs.

If you're ok with people shitting on you a lot, customer service isn't bad at all. Nothing really bothers me so working customer service was great for me in my teens-mid 20's, whereas my wife has a really short fuse when it comes to people talking down to her and could not deal well with customer service type jobs.
I mean, I'm pretty easygoing and calm and it takes a lot to irritate or upset me, people also seem to really enjoy my voice so I guess that helps.
Could you tell me a bit about my work load and responsibilities along with things I should ask in an interview along with what to expect?
How was it for you to adjust to s full time job and how was it for you to balance your life with it?

MrNelson

Banned
Interview with the hiring manager yesterday went well. I got a call this morning wanting to set up an interview with the person that would be my direct supervisor tomorrow afternoon. They said they want to do a few more phone interviews before they ask me to travel for the interview, since it is so far away.

I'm glad the process is continuing, but man is it stressful to keep doing these

george_us

How long do you guys hear back to know if you got a second interview? Both the interviewer and HR person said I'd be hearing back some time this week after having my Skype interview last Monday. The interview process for me has been completely random, with almost completely different intervals of time between steps so I just wanted to see how it's been for others.

Biske

How long do you guys hear back to know if you got a second interview? Both the interviewer and HR person said I'd be hearing back some time this week after having my Skype interview last Monday. The interview process for me has been completely random, with almost completely different intervals of time between steps so I just wanted to see how it's been for others.

Really depends, for me lately interviews have all been within a few days or a week at most. If they gave you a time frame I would wait it out and relax.

In my latest job hunt I found out that the hiring process is really quite slow, so even a week is pretty damn fast. Literally had interviews where they were like "congrats you nailed it, probably won't have a training class/start date set up for a month or two" its mind boggling how slow and drawn out it is.

Some how beyond the initial contact and interview there is a ton of time in between, no matter how urgent the job posting or initial interview made things seem.

Makai

anywhere between during the same phone call and a full year later

Waiting is hard, it feels like it's been weeks! Patience isn't in my vocabulary, I don't know how some of you could stomach waiting for actual weeks.

Waiting is hard, it feels like it's been weeks! Patience isn't in my vocabulary, I don't know how some of you could stomach waiting for actual weeks.

"actual weeks"

The absolute minimum response time I got at any point was a month. From applying to a rejection email, or from an interview to a rejection email, whenever I had to wait it was always at least a month.

Volotaire

I managed to receive a Big 4 audit offer. But, I'm leaning towards the investment actuarial role because it seems much more stimulating and enjoyable, despite losing out on the former's brand and network.

OG Kush

I managed to receive a Big 4 audit offer. But, I'm leaning towards the investment actuarial role because it seems much more stimulating and enjoyable, despite losing out on the former's brand and network.

Oh for sure. Audit seems so dead to me. Obviously different strokes for different folks. Either way, having a Big 4 on your CV/resume can't really harm you.

Interviewed early December for a promotion and just yesterday got word that I got it! Painstaking wait, I'll tell you that.

Good luck to all of you on your search!

Have phone interview for that job I networked for. Any advice? No previous programming experience required, just the willingness and capability to learn from what I've heard from current employees. It's a software development trainee role which focuses on web development (front end and back end) as well as iOS app development.

faint.

I have an interview tomorrow for a network administrator position I'm pretty underqualified for. But I passed the phone screen so it's worth a shot anyway. My recruiters told me the attire is business casual, however I planned on wearing a nice suit. They'll be showing me server rooms and the like but I'm used to doing this in formal attire from my previous employer, so dust and the like is not an issue.

I asked what the recruiter would recommend and she said BC. The CIO I'm meeting with is very attentive to detail and looks for candidates who listen (she's the one who said BC). Should I go with my gut and suit it up and address the "I know business casual is the dress clde but I believe a suit is necessary for any interview." Or should I trust the recruiter and go BC?

A little until a week later and I'm happy to say that after my initial interview above, followed by an interview with the head of the school, I was offered and accepted the job!

Flux

anything a person with a high school diploma can do. So far only 2 interviews and those were 8 months ago

Hmm what line of work did you do previously and would it be something you would want to continue? You can stick with search sites like Indeed. Being open to anything, have you tried any recruiters or contractor groups nearby? They won't be the greatest jobs in the world, but I've heard they can arrange for things pretty quickly.

Answered interview questions via email for the first time, which was a bit strange. I guess they opted for that rather than a phone/Skype interview. Like a few other people in this thread, I'm applying for jobs in a different state. If they like my answers I'll have an in-person interview. Thankfully I already have a trip scheduled to the area, so hopefully I'll know within a week or two.

I've basically been looking for a full-time job for a year (not counting the 4 months I did an internship) and it's just exhausting. So ready to be done with this and back to working full-time.

cyborg009

Banned
My mentor is telling me to accept my current job offer and if this other job who is going contact me this week gives me something better take it instead. But it kind of feels like a dick move to say yes then a few days later say lol nvm

Masters in Creative Writing, BA in Media, AA in Art.

Have you tried looking at schools for work?

Just got done with second interview for Dot Foods for a Business Operations Internship. Absolutely killed it and they are gonna schedule me for a third interview and some testing in Quantative reasoning, Mental Alertness, and Critical Thinking.

I don't know how I got this far honestly it's not like my GPA is particularly great. So I'm kinda surprised they even looked at me. Majoring in Economics.

Kittygirl

I would say focus on your strengths when writing cover letters or CVs.

I've used Indeed and my searches have always focused on location or type of job. try broader.

https://www.theguardian.com/careers/careers-blog/how-to-write-outstanding-cv-profile

https://www.cvplaza.com/cv-personal-profile/how-to-write-a-personal-profile-statement/

Not sure if that helped. Can definitely be frustrating, best of luck!

Indeed is really good, based on my experience. Still looking, but it weeds out employers overworking for low pay so I don't waste my time, and they can see if I'm looking to high for a salary.

My mentor is telling me to accept my current job offer and if this other job who is going contact me this week gives me something better take it instead. But it kind of feels like a dick move to say yes then a few days later say lol nvm

I'd kill a kid, but yes I have numerous times.

"actual weeks"

The absolute minimum response time I got at any point was a month. From applying to a rejection email, or from an interview to a rejection email, whenever I had to wait it was always at least a month.

That's insane! It took me 26 hours after the interview to find out that I didn't get it, 6 days from when I sent my application. I'm gutted, I tried to prepare myself for being accepted and rejected but nothing prepares you for the disappointment really.

Had the phone interview today and I would say it went OK. Apparently I had to beat 270 people to get to this stage because the interviewer said they'd picked 30 people for the phone interview. Holy shit

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Hmm what line of work did you do previously and would it be something you would want to continue? You can stick with search sites like Indeed. Being open to anything, have you tried any recruiters or contractor groups nearby? They won't be the greatest jobs in the world, but I've heard they can arrange for things pretty quickly.

What i was doing i don't want to.

And I've tried indeed and a job thing. Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Failed a Big Four Assessment Centre I sat yesterday. Just got the word right there. Gutted as I thought I did very well in the group exercise (won't be too mad if I failed in the writing part as I did less well there).

At least this time around I have some fall back options - another Big Four AC next week, an AC for the government later in the month, and two other applications with a bank and a smaller professional services firm. Fail them all, and I really don't know what I'll do. I'm too old to still be searching for my start...

Unless this is a company you really want to work for down the line, your mentor is completely right. If they lose a big contract between offering you the job and the start date, the offer will be pulled. You have to have the same mindset.

Volotaire

Failed a Big Four Assessment Centre I sat yesterday. Just got the word right there. Gutted as I thought I did very well in the group exercise (won't be too mad if I failed in the writing part as I did less well there).

At least this time around I have some fall back options - another Big Four AC next week, an AC for the government later in the month, and two other applications with a bank and a smaller professional services firm. Fail them all, and I really don't know what I'll do. I'm too old to still be searching for my start...

Did you get any specific feedback for the AC? The Big 4 usually have a good policy of providing specific application feedback. Try and build upon the negative feedback for your next AC (if they are structured similarly).

Flux

What i was doing i don't want to.

And I've tried indeed and a job thing. Nothing. Absolutely nothing.
Is going back to school for something you want a possibility? I know it's costly, but some colleges and universities offer more focused associate degree and certificates. Some of those even have coop for job placements.

Slacker

Had the phone interview today and I would say it went OK. Apparently I had to beat 270 people to get to this stage because the interviewer said they'd picked 30 people for the phone interview. Holy shit

Well done! Don't forget the thank you email - when the process involves that many people they'll use absolutely anything to thin the stack a little.

cyborg009

Banned
edit: Blasian Persuasion did you look at working overseas like china or korea?
Unless this is a company you really want to work for down the line, your mentor is completely right. If they lose a big contract between offering you the job and the start date, the offer will be pulled. You have to have the same mindset.

Yeah your right these companies are not my friend.

That's insane! It took me 26 hours after the interview to find out that I didn't get it, 6 days from when I sent my application. I'm gutted, I tried to prepare myself for being accepted and rejected but nothing prepares you for the disappointment really.

The waiting period wasn't always a month, I forgot one example. This one time about three days after an interview, I heard that I got the job. I was supposed to start in two weeks.

A few days later I got another email that basically said "Actually no nevermind." This was after a year+ of unemployment.

Ok umm wow, so I got another interview and this time for a huge company and I'm ready to accept a new job tomorrow...

tried being a freelance tutor?

Yeah, but the problem with that was my transportation. I actually have to talk to someone in fifteen minutes about editing some videos for him. I'm nervous as hell because I'm not exactly sure what to charge and honestly haven't worked on my editing skills since I got out of college. When he told me earlier he needed someone because he's no good, but honestly I'm not either. I hated it when I was in school and haven't touched it since then. I practiced a little bit today though.

Charcoal

I'm not sure who reads this thread, or if it would go against the rules, but would anyone mind critiquing my resume? If not, that's totally fine lol

NeOak

I'm not sure who reads this thread, or if it would go against the rules, but would anyone mind critiquing my resume? If not, that's totally fine lol

If you're at school, you can go to their Career Center or w/e they have, and they will help you.

Otherwise, ask around your social circle first.

a job wouldn't invite me to interview if they were concerned about a (really large) unemployment gap on my resume right?

i mean i know they'll ask about it and ill try and bullshit my way thru it but if it was seriously concerning they would have dismissed me before an interview surely?

im fucked

a job wouldn't invite me to interview if they were concerned about a (really large) unemployment gap on my resume right?

i mean i know they'll ask about it and ill try and bullshit my way thru it but if it was seriously concerning they would have dismissed me before an interview surely?

im fucked

Definitely. No point in interviewing you unless they would consider hiring you. You're good.

Waiting for a phone interview that was meant to be between 1pm and 2pm

It is now 1.58pm.

Grrrr

im fucked

Not a expert but they might ask questions but whatever they might have questions about wasn't big enough for them to toss your application out.

Once you get the call for a face to face interview you are in the running.

Volotaire

Waiting for a phone interview that was meant to be between 1pm and 2pm

It is now 1.58pm.

Grrrr

Not a expert but they might ask questions but whatever they might have questions about wasn't big enough for them to toss your application out.

Once you get the call for a face to face interview you are in the running.

Email them to see if they have made a mistake or have misplaced the booking.

Top Bottom