• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Characters, Specials, and Stages Discussion

Playsage

what does oldness or strength have to do with anything in a fighting game?
he blew up both a mountain and the moon long before anyone did anything of that sort, and hes even the origin of the super buff transformation.

gag characters are a thing

you're also championing variety by having 17 because hes slim and has long hair, but apparently being old is bad
He's not making a case against Roshi, but against Dr. Gero

NeonZ

I didn't feel like actually looking, which is why I put the "like" in there.

He's been in a shitload of them. I definitely wouldn't put him in the "WHO?" category.

Mr.Satan has only really appeared as a playable character in games that also had Tenshinhan (and also Yamcha, although there are couple of old exceptions, where Tenshinhan and Mr.Satan made it, but there was no Yamcha). That's most modern games since they all had big line ups, but Satan and Tenshinhan were missing from most portable fighters due to their smaller rosters. He isn't really a big priority.

Fandangox

Slaythe mentioned Roshi being old as an argument against Dr. Gero, since being old is about the only thing he had going for him (and energy absorption)

I-hate-u

This is a real, intended to be competitive fighting game. I don't think they want to create too many character variants because overlapping move-lists is a serious problem. 1 or 2 are fine in a 30+ character roster, but I don't think we got more than that

In an interview with game producer Tomoko Hiroki, she was asked about the selection of moves for each character. Her answer was for Goku, they wanted an accessible move-list that is useful in all situations (like a Ryu in SF/balance between rushdown and zoning),
while Gohan was designed as a powerful close range fighter because he is still a child and has short limbs.

The wording to me suggested they specifically choose kid Gohan (designed as an in your face character) as a differentiation from Goku(who is more well rounded). Giving us teen Gohan or Mystic Gohan would make him too similar to his dad. Same goes for kid Buu/Bardock/Blue versions. All they offer is just different supers potential.

Sephzilla

Here's my roster speculation (assuming 24 characters)

Goku (SSJ)
Goku (SSB)
Vegeta (SSJ)
Vegeta (SSB)
Gohan (SSJ2)
Adult Gohan (Mystic)
Future Trunks (SSJ)
Gotenks
Piccolo
Krillin
Android 17
Android 18
Hercule / Mr. Satan
Raditz
Captain Ginyu
Frieza
Perfect Cell
Majin Buu (Fat)
Majin Buu (Kid)
Beerus
Hit
Black
Zamasu
Broly

I-hate-u

You're reaching

There are specific characters that will get in regardless of variety

I would hate to see a quarter of the roster to be Saiyan variants in this game. No, give us the likes of Tien, Roshi, 16, Dabura, Bulma, Videl, Satan, Ginyu, Tao Pai Pai, Murasaki etc, instead.

It won't. It should be a transformation like Golden Frieza

So what, you think they hid that transformation super in the E3 version of the game? Also, you can only have so many supers for a character.

dawgparty

It's a DBZ game so I'm not expecting shit but I wonder who we'll get in terms of female characters. 18 and who else? I want Pan, Videl or (pipe dream)Bulma with a Kokonoe-esque moveset.

Fandangox

My logic is that Raditz is a more necessary story character than Nappa is. Being the brother of the main character helps, too

I don't think they will base their roster on whatever story mode they have planned for this, it will likely be the other way around.

Sephzilla

Bulma or Future Mai would be excellent inclusions, in my opinion. Mai fights way out of her weight class and doesn't give a single shit

Kysuke

oh...
well I cant even tell who is serious or not any more
people legit want characters that mean nothing to the franchise over classics

I dont think it's a problem wanting anyone or anyone else even if they are staple characters. But people shouldn't (though they will) get pissed when their niche pick for the game does not make it with a low roster game at launch.

I really want Tien and to a degree, Satan but I'll have no problems with them not making the initial cut.

Alienous

Here's my roster speculation (assuming 24 characters)

Goku (SSJ)
Goku (SSB)
Vegeta (SSJ)
Vegeta (SSB)
Gohan (SSJ2)
Adult Gohan (Mystic)
Future Trunks (SSJ)
Gotenks
Piccolo
Krillin
Android 17
Android 18
Hercule / Mr. Satan
Raditz
Captain Ginyu
Frieza
Perfect Cell
Majin Buu (Fat)
Majin Buu (Kid)
Beerus
Hit
Black
Zamasu
Broly

It's close to mine, but:

Raditz, but no Nappa? I doubt either will be in it if base form Goku and Vegeta aren't.

Android 17 and no Android 16? For the sake of variety I don't see them missing out on a hulking robot that can fire his limbs and shoot bullets from his arms.

Zamasu seems unlikely to me - it just seems like Black would cover enough of that moveset and have a more expansive one.

I'd expect characters like Dabura (a weapon wielder) and Tien (tons of techniques) to make it in.

But I'd bet that the actual roster will be close to the majority of yours.

Slaythe

so a clone, but less interesting transformations?
what new moves does he have to warrant being an entirely separate character?

Counters and more use of his instant transmission. Kaioken could have its own interesting mechanic.

Whether you want it or not, Blue Goku is the face of Dragon Ball's revival.

Also, I think Videl might have high chances, being the only other girl that's half decent.

Sephzilla

It's close to mine, but:

Raditz, but no Nappa? I doubt either will be in it if base form Goku and Vegeta aren't.

Android 17 and no Android 16? For the sake of variety I don't see them missing out on a hulking robot that can fire his limbs and shoot bullets from his arms.

Zamasu seems unlikely to me - it just seems like Black would cover enough of that moveset and have a more expansive one.

I'd expect characters like Dabura (a weapon wielder) and Tien (tons of techniques) to make it in.

But I'd bet that the actual roster will be close to the majority of yours.

Like I said a few posts up I think Raditz might get the edge because he's more storyline relevant than Nappa is (I think people might be letting their love of TFS Nappa influence their judgement here, Nappa really isn't that important at all). I think 16 misses the cut because 17 is getting a push in Dragonball Super, and 18 makes the roster because the roster really needs a female fighter. Zamasu I can understand being cut if Black is already there, alternatively I could see Merged Zamasu being in place of both Zamasu and Black but I generally hear that Black specifically is more popular. If the roster is limited I don't see Dabura making it, someone like Tien or Roshi would probably make the cut before him, and I also think Future Trunks might take up the "weapon wielder" spot.

I personally really want to see final form Janemba make the roster because he could have a fairly unique moveset, but that movie and villain don't seem to get nearly the same level of love as Broly

NeonZ

how would blue gokus moveset differ from the goku who has already has a bunch of super saiyan levels?

SSB and SSG Goku had different specials in Extreme Butouden (a finger flip, an instant transmission followed by a kick sequence, a very quick "jump off screen and rush forward", a slow "go forward with ki and then launch a strong one punch" attack) and, even though many of Extreme Butouden's animations seemed to be used as basis for the attacks here, none of those attacks were added Goku's moveset so far.

TreIII

how would blue gokus moveset differ from the goku who has already has a bunch of super saiyan levels?

Among other possibilities?

>One-inch punch
>Super Blue Kaioken
>Mafuba/Containment wave (if Roshi doesn't get in, it at least makes sure that move does)

Even in the case of "clones", Arc makes them different enough that they would play entirely as seperate chars.

SSB and SSG Goku had different specials in Extreme Butouden (a finger flip, an instant transmission followed by a kick sequence, a very quick "jump off screen and rush forward", a slow "go forward with ki and then launch a strong one punch" attack) and, even though many of Extreme Butouden's animations seemed to be used as basis for the attacks here, none of those attacks were added Goku's moveset so far.

sure, but on the other hand Guilty Gears roster is incredibly diverse to the point where I just dont see them having half the roster being saiyans

JSevere

Goku
Vegeta
Gohan
Frieza
Cell
Majin Buu
Kid Goku
Roshi
Krillin
Piccolo
Future Trunks
Android 17
Android 18
Great Saiyaman
Bulma (joke character?)
Videl
Gotenks
Beerus

and then Super DLC pack with Goku Black, Fused Zamasu, Hit, Caulifla and Kale

pls Arcsys

Puruzi

Banned
I don't really want Blue as a separate character for Goku and Vegeta but I think they'd be clones in character visuals alone. Pretty sure arcsys would just give them different normals and specials.

Alienous

Like I said a few posts up I think Raditz might get the edge because he's more storyline relevant than Nappa is (I think people might be letting their love of TFS Nappa influence their judgement here, Nappa really isn't that important at all). I think 16 misses the cut because 17 is getting a push in Dragonball Super, and 18 makes the roster because the roster really needs a female fighter. Zamasu I can understand being cut if Black is already there, alternatively I could see Merged Zamasu being in place of both Zamasu and Black but I generally hear that Black specifically is more popular. If the roster is limited I don't see Dabura making it, someone like Tien or Roshi would probably make the cut before him, and I also think Future Trunks might take up the "weapon wielder" spot.

But Raditz can't be storyline relevant if Goku only has his SSJ form. Neither can Nappa, unless you just have him fighting Krillin (it doesn't seem like there'll be a Kid Gohan for him to fight).

In a fighting game where the goal is to have a varied roster you don't pass up Android 16. He has a better defined movelist than 17, and fills the 'tank' archetype well. Detachable hands that leave him able to fire bullets - I can't imagine them passing that up for a character who has most of his moves fabricated in DBZ fighting games.

And Dabura, I mentioned it before but he's a sword wielder. It just makes for a more varied game if you have a character like that, who is visually distinct and isn't just punching people. Otherwise the only sword wielder would be Trunks.

Bulma (joke character?)
only one way bulma works as a character.

If on the same team as Vegeta, Vegeta immediately activates SSJ3 upon bulma taking any hit of damage.

Bulma is removed from the fight and replaced with Vegeta who now has a permanent install.

Slaythe

A movelist isn't composed of two special moves.

We have seen they use the manga and anime as reference for all the punches and kicks on top of specials.

So in no way does 16 have a more defined moveset.

His fight was really short and he hadn't done anything before.

What you meant to say is more unique specials maybe.

J-Tier

latest

Hopefully this guy makes the roster.

EVOL 100%

I just need my man Piccolo and I'm set

I wish they went with SSJ2 Goku instead of SSJ1, but the latter is far more iconic, I guess.

Alienous

A movelist isn't composed of two special moves.

We have seen they use the manga and anime as reference for all the punches and kicks on top of specials.

So in no way does 16 have a more defined moveset.

His fight was really short and he hadn't done anything before.

What you meant to say is more unique specials maybe.

I mean better defined.

Rocket punches. Hell Flash. He has a continuity of moves if you look at the games he's been in.

Android 17 has... a ki beam. Super Electric Strike... no wait, Xenoverse made that one up. Accel dance... which uses Android 18. And an energy barrier.

Try to describe Android 17's moves. Android 18 kicks and throws people, what makes 17's kicks and throws different? I can easily describe a rocket punch, or the Hell Flash.

If you search Dragon Ball Z game rosters I'm sure you'll find 17 absent more often than 16, and it would be for a reason.

Puruzi

Banned
I don't think Goku and Vegeta blue are stealing spots.

More like bonus because they needed less time to be completed.

Actually yeah it's probably like this. If Goku and Vegeta Blue weren't their own characters that doesn't necessarily mean that other characters would be in in place of them

Balfour

I would hate to see a quarter of the roster to be Saiyan variants in this game. No, give us the likes of Tien, Roshi, 16, Dabura, Bulma, Videl, Satan, Ginyu, Tao Pai Pai, Murasaki etc, instead.

So what, you think they hid that transformation super in the E3 version of the game? Also, you can only have so many supers for a character.

You need to accept staple characters will always be in the game. They can make Ultimate Gohan play different than Goku. Kid Buu will be there. Especially since he fights nothing like Fat Buu

as for SSB. I said "it won't" as in the fighting style won't be different. Then said it SHOULD be a transformation.

but you know damn well its gonna be a separate fighter

Sheentak

This is why Yamcha and Tien make sense to me

Yamcha has wolf fang fist a rush down special with cool effects and imagine the mix ups you could with spirit ball gameplay wise he makes sense to me
Also his a joke charecter so adds something extra

Tienshinhan has loads of unique moves he has solar flare, he can have a install where he grows extra arms, he has tri beam where you could have a mechanic where he loses health when using it. The finger layer thingy he does, he can also split into 4

NeonZ

Freeza's wake up Super was a level 3 super too, right? So, I guess there's still a chance we're just seeing incomplete movesets and SSB could be implemented exactly like Golden Freeza, in spite of Goku and Vegeta already having other level 3s.

Although, like I mentioned above, the fact they haven't incorporated any of Extreme Butoden's SSG or SSB's moves into Goku's moveset here makes me think SSB will remain a separate character.

Scotia

Banned
I mean better defined.

Rocket punches. Hell Flash. He has a continuity of moves if you look at the games he's been in.

Android 17 has... a ki beam. Super Electric Strike... no wait, Xenoverse made that one up. Accel dance... which uses Android 18. And an energy barrier.

Try to describe Android 17's moves. Android 18 kicks and throws people, what makes 17's kicks and throws different? I can easily describe a rocket punch, or the Hell Flash.

If you search Dragon Ball Z game rosters I'm sure you'll find 17 absent more often than 16, and it would be for a reason.

inb4 Slaythe posts the same GIFs to try and prove that 17 is worth a slot.

I-hate-u

You gotta consider the casual spectator audience for the e-sports side of this game. Having too many variants of the same character would be confusing to them.

Mugy

I'd be surprised if there's any Super character who isn't Goku, Vegeta, Freeza and Beerus in the base game and not as DLC or in an undoubted sequel. ASW isn't going to be bringing out a large roster. Makes sense to get Z out of the way and then leave the rest for DLC and sequels.

Shit, it's called FighterZ. If they give us more than 5 Super characters in the base roster I'd be floored.
Do we really need more than 5 Super characters tho?

Goku Black
Caoliflouwer
Hit
Zamasu
Beerus

Do we need anybody else?

Top Bottom