• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Characters, Specials, and Stages Discussion

From Super, I'd take Beerus, Hit, Rosé and Fused Zamasu.

No I'm not. I'd take Tien over Krillin anyday. At least, he has its own techniques. Krillin only exist for the Kienzan... which Frieza already covers in the game.

Krillin was an important character through the entirety of Dragonball, even when he wasnt nearly as strong as the rest. Wasn't really asking who you would take.
you're listing characters from Super who had a one off appearance and never heard from again? how does that make any sense

I dont even know who the fuck Hit, Rosé and Fused Zamasu are, but they werent even referenced when I watched some of the recent episodes

Krillin was an important character through the entirety of Dragonball, even when he wasnt nearly as strong as the rest. Wasn't really asking who you would take.

He's been a support character. He has as much fighting relevance as Yamcha or Dende. :")
In Dragon Ball ? Sure, but this game obviously focus on DBZ from what we saw.

Alienous

Krillin has to be playable. He, unlike Tien, never misses a fight.

He also has interesting moves like the Scatter Kamehameha.

dan2026

Tenshinhan at least has some fairly unique moves they could use.
Especially if they do the stuff he was pulling out in the tournaments.

He's been a support character. He has as much fighting relevance as Yamcha or Dende. :")
In Dragon Ball ? Sure, but this game obviously focus on DBZ from what we saw.

because fighting games don't balance power? huh?
even if Mr Satan gets in, you can bet hes going to be able to hurt the big bads

Krillin still has multiple episodes dedicated to him lol

Yeah, his quest for a girlfriend... which ends up badly :")

Krillin played a big part in the Namek Arc.

He did indeed, but never as a fighter. The only highlights Krillin got in the Namek Arc was finding Guru, Taunting Frieza after being impaled, Exploding to trigger Goku's transformation.

because fighting games don't balance power? huh?
even if Mr Satan gets in, you can bet hes going to be able to hurt the big bads

They do, but I gave you the reasons why I feel like Krillin doesn't belong. Heck, even Mr Satan deserve a spot even though it'd be a waste:
IMO, this roster must hit the following: Iconic/strong characters, Specific techniques/gameplay and for the last one, specific to Dragon Ball, especially with such good graphics, spectacle.

Krillin is iconic but not strong (no anime/manga moment to transcript in the game)
Krillin techniques are the Kamehameha (Goku/Gohan already covers that) and the Kienzan (Frieza already covers that). What's left is the Taiyoken (Which Tien already covers and had at least moments in the serie, namely with his Shin Kikoho).
And as for the spectacle... well, as I said, he didn't have a moment to make the game interesting with a super technique.

Yeah, his quest for a girlfriend... which ends up badly :")

He did indeed, but never as a fighter. The only highlights Krillin got in the Namek Arc was finding Guru, Taunting Frieza after being impaled, Exploding to trigger Goku's transformation.

surely you can see how hilarious it is to list one off characters from Super, and not Krillin who is again a fighter for the good guys with new techniques. I havent even seen most of the new series but its enough to know you're talking nonsense.
Dont worry, hes just a main character thats been in the story from the very start....

No, I meant currently, in Super.

You mean being scared of everything ?

surely you can see how hilarious it is to list one off characters from Super, and not Krillin who is again a fighter for the good guys with new techniques. I havent even seen most of the new series but its enough to know you're talking nonsense.
Dont worry, hes just a main character thats been in the story from the very start....

All the characters I cited from Super fills the criterias. Specific movesets, impressive techniques and highlighted moments.
Then again, I'm not crossing Krillin off, I'm saying that, if they have to focus on a tiny roster, I want it to focus on the big guys, not the support characters.

All the characters I cited from Super fills the criterias. Specific movesets, impressive techniques and highlighted moments.

impressive techniques doesnt mean shit
its a fighting game, they can make characters as strong and interesting as they need to be.

I love how being unique is your deciding factor when there will be at least 5 super saiyans.

munchie64

You mean being scared of everything ?
Sure, I guess. Don't see how it's relevant to what you're trying to sell though.
If you'd prefer not to have Krillin in, cool. Point is, there's very little chance of it happening since he's one of the most consistent characters of the franchise.

Hit, Black and Zamasu all have great potential for unique movesets. Also Hit isn't a one off character, he's returning as a character in the current arc. Black and Zamasu were the main antagonists of Future Trunks's arc, they have earned their right to be potential picks.

impressive techniques doesnt mean shit
its a fighting game, they can make characters as strong and interesting as they need to be.

I love how being unique is your deciding factor when there will be at least 5 super saiyans.

Which all have their own techniques/fighting style. Save for Goku/Gohan. Trunks has its techniques and sword, Gotenks has its own interesting and funny techniques, same for Vegito and Gogeta, which all have their own way to move and techniques.

Spman2099

Which all have their own techniques/fighting style. Save for Goku/Gohan. Trunks has its techniques and sword, Gotenks has its own interesting and funny techniques, same for Vegito and Gogeta, which all have their own way to move and techniques.

Vegito and Gogeta are boring. God I hope Krillin and Yamcha make it in over them...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Krillin's presence in DBZ is too frequent to ignore.

Even if he mostly gets kicked in the head and is out of the fight since he got outpowered very early on.

My takes on characters that are 100% guaranteed:

Piccolo
Krillin
Future Trunks
Mystic/Adult Gohan
Broly

Very likely:

Kid Buu
Beerus
Gotenks

Beyond that I could see a lot of things happening

SSB Goku/Vegeta will probably happen at least. I would see them having Android 16 before 17 for the visual identity unless they go harder on Super stuff than I'm expecting. I think Hercule has a better chance than people might expect since Arc loves wacky characters. The only alternative is Great Sayiman but that would piss off a lot of people if they didn't have an Adult Gohan and I doubt they would ever have 3 of him to make that happen.

Yamcha and Tien, wouldn't be surprised either way. If only one makes it it'll be Yamcha. Some other characters like Bardock, Ginyu and Videl could also go either way. Videl might get a boost because outside of 18 they're hurting for females.

The roster's size could be so varying on top of having so much ground to cover that without knowing a concrete number it's super hard to think of what the roster will be since there's so much material to pull from.

Ban Puncher

just fill the roster with super saiyans and variations and fusions of them
who needs filthy ningens

9c7.png

NZerker12

So what super moves do you guys reckon they will give to everyone. For Piccolo I expect:

Level 1: Demon Explosive Wave and Light Grenade

Level 3: Hellzone Grenade

Level 5: Special Beam Cannon

So what super moves do you guys reckon they will give to everyone. For Piccolo I expect:

Level 1: Demon Explosive Wave and Light Grenade

Level 3: Hellzone Grenade

Level 5: Special Beam Cannon

Barrier- both a melee range attack and an ult defense
Giant swing command grab- with streak punch follow up ala Kanji's grab and his chair fall
The attack he and 18 killed Gohan with as an ult

I-hate-u

It's too soon for any of the bolded. Unless Toei gave ASW some early intel, Whis & Hit would be more likely to get in first over Toppo, Caulifla, or Kale.

We are going to be well into the Universe Survival Arc by the time this one launches. The current storyline has so many characters that would be great for this game.

I-hate-u

G8AF68r.png

LMAO people think Cauli if flip a coin worth, she is a new character, we didnt even have Hit on release for XV2. Raditz has a much higher chance than her, was does everyone in the Who tier. Also why the fuck would Bardock be in the 99%.
They probably only have 1 character variant at most. We are not getting teen Gohan, SSB Goku/Vegeta me thinks (but they could be install supers), and by the same virtue, no kid Buu. Here is what's wrong with your list.

No way we getting Bardock tho at all.

Zasa

This just looks so, so amazing. The animations are on point & I'm loving the style. Think it might be the game that finally brings me back into the fighting genre.

Balfour

They probably only have 1 character variant at most. We are not getting teen Gohan, SSB Goku/Vegeta me thinks (but they could be install supers), and by the same virtue, no kid Buu. Here is what's wrong with your list.

If you think we are not getting Ultimate Gohan and Kid Buu then you should quit while you are ahead

Big One

Banned
LMAO people think Cauli if flip a coin worth, she is a new character, we didnt even have Hit on release for XV2. Raditz has a much higher chance than her, was does everyone in the Who tier. Also why the fuck would Bardock be in the 99%.
Uh...yeah we did. He was just an unlockable.

24 Mandatory Characters:

Confirmed:
  1. SSJ Goku
  2. Super Vegeta
  3. Majin Buu
  4. Cell
  5. Freiza
  6. SSJ2 Teen Gohan

Mandatory:

1. Piccolo
  2. Krillin
  3. Kid Goku DB
  4. Kid Goku GT - Ability to transform to SSJ4
  5. Broly
  6. Bardock
  7. Future Gohan - 1 Arm
  8. DB Super version of Goku
  9. Future Trunks - Ability to transform into that struggle SSJB
  10. Goten
  11. Kid Trunks
  12. Ultimate/Adult Gohan - Saiyaman alt costume
  13. Tapion
  14. Black Goku
  15. 18
  16. Roshi
  17. Hit
  18. Tien

Puruzi

Banned
I really hope they get rid of useless characters. It's going to be a rather limited roster, so I hope they aim for specific characters. No crap like Radditz/Nappa, Yamcha/Krillin or Ginyu's team.
I'm not against a 15 characters roster, but I want it to be meaningful.
3 key characters per era or so.
Basically, a good roster imo would be:
Goku, Vegeta, Young Gohan, Adult Gohan, Future Trunks, Gotenks, Frieza, Ginyu, Cell, 17, 18, Fat Buu, Kid Buu/Super Buu, Vegito, Janemba, Gogeta.
Get out forever and never return.

I honestly would put Mr. Satan in the 99% category. He's been playable in like every single DB fighting game released for the past 15 years.

Slaythe

Is there ONE game in the past 10 years where Bardock wasn't playable ?

Serious question, I can't tell.

I honestly would put Mr. Satan in the 99% category. He's been playable in like every single DB fighting game released for the past 15 years.

That's incorrect.

Slaythe

We do not have a single male fighter with slender body type and long hair in the entire roster.

Really hope 17 makes it for the sake of diversity. The big and tall bulky dudes or the unusually short archetypes are too numberous.

Revven

Bardock is definitely going to be in there. He and Broly tend to come in a pair due to their innate popularity. Burst Limit is a key example of this where they threw those two in there due to their popularity alone rather than any other saga-relevant characters (like more Ginyu Force characters or Dr. Gero etc etc). Burst Limit also had a small roster of 20 something characters yet Dimps chose to have Broly & Bardock in that roster than going for something more akin to Budokai 1 (where Android 19, Zarbon, and Dodoria were included instead).

Alienous

We do not have a single male fighter with slender body type and long hair in the entire roster.

Really hope 17 makes it for the sake of diversity. The big and tall bulky dudes or the unusually short archetypes are too numberous.

Dr. Gero is slender with long hair. He's also an older character, which would be unique among the roster.

He also has cool energy absorption techniques and eye lasers.

Slaythe

I feel like vegito is the kind of character you add later to a roster.

He makes sense as dlc or sequel bait.

"Woaaah they made recoome playable in dbz2 sick" has less impact.

Slaythe

Dr. Gero is slender with long hair. He's also an older character, which would be unique among the roster.

He also has cool energy absorption techniques and eye lasers.

Roshi is old.

He is also shit, he wasn't a great fighter. His most memorable action is impaling Yamcha, what a feat.

They have Frieza eye lasers. Not that they'd care about repeating moves.

Roshi is old.

He is also shit, he wasn't a great fighter. His most memorable action is impaling Yamcha, what a feat.

They have Frieza eye lasers. Not that they'd care about repeating moves.

what does oldness or strength have to do with anything in a fighting game?
he blew up both a mountain and the moon long before anyone did anything of that sort, and hes even the origin of the super buff transformation.

gag characters are a thing

you're also championing variety by having 17 because hes slim and has long hair, but apparently being old is bad

Slaythe

what does oldness or strength have to do with anything in a fighting game?
he blew up both a mountain and the moon long before anyone did anything of that sort, and hes even the origin of the super buff transformation.

gag characters are a thing

You misread what I said.

He said Gero is old so it would offer something unique in terms of variety, so I reminded him Roshi was old, so it's not unique.

It was about 17 being the only slender male with long hair, an Archetype that is rare in Dragon Ball, despite common in anime.

Top Bottom