• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Characters, Specials, and Stages Discussion

Balfour

Ikari has a unique hair style.
Blue is just Super Saiyan but Blue and those aren't being treated as transformations, so that's why I think the same will be done with Trunks.

It's really not different hair. He just has less bangs

You're probably setting yourself up for disappointment

cordy

Banned
I'm wondering if SSB will act like an alternate moveset for the characters. I don't really think we'll get completely new slots for Goku and Vegeta but I can see an option where they'd have Installs similar to Freeza and you'd have to press a button on the character select screen to differentiate between their standard and SSB version. They've have mostly the same base moves until you transform and then some things change.

That's not why.

1) Goku will use Kaioken in Blue

2) They will have ROF costumes

I actually don't know if Vegeta has a blue version, i just assume. Goku will. (unless things changed)
And the two Trunks would have different outfits and supers.

It's really not different hair. He just has less bangs

You're probably setting yourself up for disappointment
No, it's different, his hair gets longer and sticks up much higher.

Slaythe

I don't know to me Trunks is like Frieza.

He had his own arc too and he didn't get two versions.

I feel like Trunks and Super Trunks are kinda... the same except Super Trunks is better and has a bigger moveset.

That'd be a really stupid waste of a slot.

J-Skee

This is how I think the rest of the roster will play out. Based on what we know about the game, I didn't include transformations since Arc is not using them the same way other DBZ games have. I won't try to figure out DLC either. They'll either show up in the initial roster or later on. I also did my best to not include too many clones. If the same character shows up more than once, it's because I believe they'll play radically different from each other.

Vegito
Hit
Piccolo
Gohan (Adult)
Krillin
Tien
Yamcha
No. 16
No. 17
No. 18
Gotenks
Trunks (Future)
Dabura
Beerus
Majin Buu (Super or Kid)

Zalman

I feel like Trunks and Super Trunks are kinda... the same except Super Trunks is better and has a bigger moveset.

Agreed. I don't know if they're doing alternate costumes (haven't seen any), but for Future Trunks I think they could get away with that. I don't think they're different enough for two slots.

Balfour

And the two Trunks would have different outfits and supers.

No, it's different, his hair gets longer and sticks up much higher.

So? Goku's SS3 is different but he just gets a Super move

Why do you think they won't do the same for Trunks

You can hope. It's your list. Always dream, just don't be too upset if it doesn't work out

I am just saying Goku and Vegeta having 2 slots are simply down to them being Goku And Vegeta

I rather no one get two slots. Gohan is a special case with his young and adult self being completely different for obv reasons

It wouldn't be so much of a wasted slot as it would be boosting the roster by 1 more than it would have been with a lower effort character.
I'd prefer they just go with Super Trunks and have Ikari as a transformation, but I'm just working off of the 24 character frame and purposely putting shortcuts in to get to that 24.
Anyways, you saying Kaioken makes me think Hit is a lock.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Super Trunks might be a reskin of Trunks, if he's in at all. I honestly kind of hope he is a reskin/not in because he'd be a waste of a slot IMO. Just give regular old Trunks some of his moves.

bman94

I know Dragon Ball FighterZ is gonna be a way more legir fighting game, but I miss the days of Budokai Tenkaichi games having 150+ characters to choose from. DBZ has such a huge cast of characters and it's a little disappointing to think that only 30 at most could make it in probably the best DBZ Fighting game ever.

With that being said here's my prediction:
1. SS Goku
2. Super Vegata
3. SS 2 Teen Gohan
4. Perfect Cell
5. Majin Boo
6. Frieza Final Form
7. Broly
8. Future Trunks (SS)
9. Android 18
10. Kid Boo
11. Super Boo
12. Gotenks (most likely SS3 Variant)
13. Mystic Gohan
14. Krillian
15. Beerus
16. Bardock
17. SS3 Goku
18. Super Sayian God Goku
19. Super Sayian God Vegeta
20. Piccolo
21. Captain Ginyu
22. Nappa
23. Vegito
24. Android 20
25. Android 16
26. Dragon Ball Super Character
27. Dragon Ball Super Character
28. Dragon Ball Super Character
29. Dragon Ball Super Character
30. Dragon Ball Super Character

If havnt caught up on Super so Imma assume there's enough new people to take up a few spots.

With that said my dream roster would be at least 50 but that's highly unrealistic. But I think a lot of the characters could represented through simple skins. So King Piccolo & Nail could be Piccolo skins. All the different form varients could be handled through skins (Imperfect Cell a skin for Perfect cell, Frieza form 1 a skin for Final Frieza etc.) Since they would play exactly the same anyway.

dlauv

These characters have 2-3 supers a piece, right? With one "cinematic" super (not counting install)?

For the cinematic move: if they had to choose, do you think they'll choose the Freeza kill or Spirit Bomb sword, slicing from the crotch, upwards? That's right, the former.

If Super Trunks gets in, it will likely be a palette swap or alt costume. I don't really see anything significant to the character making it in unless it was an alt character; and, in that case, it would almost certainly be a clone due to sword prominence.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
you guys prediciting these huge rosters (and 24+ for Arc is huge) when all Guilty Gear games had like 16-18 characters at launch is bumming me out man, I hope you are right but I dunno...

Slaythe

you guys prediciting these huge rosters (and 24+ for Arc is huge) when all Guilty Gear games had like 16-18 characters at launch is bumming me out man, I hope you are right but I dunno...

The movesets of the characters are extremely toned down compared to Xrd.

And the production isn't the same as Xrd. On top of that, Xrd was their first game on the engine, they said they got faster along the way.

Balfour

These characters have 2-3 supers a piece, right? With one "cinematic" super (not counting install)?

For the cinematic move, do you think they'll choose the Freeza kill or Spirit Bomb sword?

If Super Trunks gets in, it will be a palette swap or alt costume, but I don't really see anything significant to the character making it in.

Let's hope they don't pick Heat Dome attack

You should give up on alternate costumes from ArcSys. They take too long to animate because of lighting and all the frames of animation. They rather make alt colors and us those resources on new characters, stages, and music

dlauv

Let's hope they don't pick Heat Dome attack

You should give up on alternate costumes from ArcSys. They take too long to animate because of lighting and all the frames of animation. They rather make alt colors and us those resources on new characters, stages, and music

Someone told me in another thread that alt costumes were basically out for the same reason. I could see them as DLC though with a bit of help (ie funding) from Namco-Bandai. Guilty Gear is indie afaik and doesn't sell all that well enough to warrant them.

I was thinking Finish Buster and Burning Attack with a Final Slash level 5. Kind of like Gohan's structure, since I'm using what we've gotten as barometer for balance and distribution. Also, it wouldn't be doing justice to the Spirit Bomb sword nor would the SSJ? do justice to the original Future Trunks model, and this game has been painstakingly homage-laden. Trunks fans probably wouldn't mind tho, idk.

Leave heat dome for USSJ Trunks. =]

I kinda wish Goku would've had Dragon Fist as his ultimate instead of yet another Kamehameha finisher.

Canon be damned.
The bigger disappointed to me is that there probably won't be a Spirit Bomb in the game.

Hopefully the sequel makes ssj installs for the base forms of characters like Goku. Maybe have different variations to pick from that change what transformation and Supers each character has.

Slaythe

To be fair, they usually have one character with a costume.

And Trunks just need a closed jacket and a scarf. Literally. That's the only change. So yeah, it's doable.

As for Trunks's gameplay, I think he'll have a slash super + heat dome as lv 1 supers.

And burning attack lv3. You can turn it into a lv5 super and have the final slash kill.

He'd have another super, the Ikari install, that would change his slash super to have the spirit sword effect with more range.

If you do the lv 5 it has spirit sword effect.

That'd be the best of both world, if you don't want to see ikari, just don't use it, like golden frieza.

The bigger disappointed to me is that there probably won't be a Spirit Bomb in the game.

Hopefully the sequel makes ssj installs for the base forms of characters like Goku. Maybe have different variations to pick from that change what transformation and Supers each character has.

I hate Genkidama in a fighting game because it's not Goku's power. And it takes forever.

Given this is an ASW game, I'm expecting a varied 15 character roster at launch with DLC not long after.

1. Goku
2. Vegeta
3. Gohan
4. Frieza
5. Cell
6. Majin Buu
7. Future Trunks
8. Gotenks
9. Piccolo
10. Krillin
11. Android 18
12. Tenshinhan
13. Roshi
14. Broly
15. Beerus

I'd love some character variations and changeable move-sets for the next game.

For this game though I hope they are willingly to use attacks from the movies and other "non-canon" material.

Characters like Beerus would be far more interesting to play as if they use some of his attacks from his Super arc.

I'd love some character variations and changeable move-sets for the next game.

For this game though I hope they are willingly to use attacks from the movies and other "non-canon" material.

Characters like Beerus would be far more interesting to play as if they use some of his attacks from his Super arc.
Beerus needs his atom ball volley.

dlauv

Beerus' cinematic super could be the deletion thing he does to
Zamasu
. A counter super maybe.

Or maybe call in Whis to rewind 3 seconds. That would be kind of hype if they could make the visuals brief enough. Prob too strong unless it was a 7 bar thing (on death, maybe, like Phoenix -- altho this doesn't ring true to the character to me).

So, sorry if it was already talked about and figured out and stuff but I didn't see anywhere unless I'm blind. Is Gold Frieza a transformation or a separate character?

Does anyone know what the deal was with the Sorbet portrait popping up during Golden Frieza? Seems like there's a lot of room for very minor characters to show up like that to help if it's not just a completely unique aspect of Golden Frieza.
So, sorry if it was already talked about and figured out and stuff but I didn't see anywhere unless I'm blind. Is Gold Frieza a transformation or a separate character?
Transformation that lasts for a limited amount of time during the match it seems like.

sp3ctr3

I know nothing about Dragon Ball Z. I know the names Goku and Vegeta and that's about it. The game looks frickin' insane!

Could someone post pictures of the characters they suggest? So far in what we've seen 3 characters look almost the same. Are the characters in the DBZ universe varied or does most look like Goku?

Karsha

TBH I think they will aim for 30, a DB game with 20 characters would be pretty much dead to the casuals no matter how good it is. And if we count the 3vs3 even Kof 94 didnt have 20 characters lol

I know nothing about Dragon Ball Z. I know the names Goku and Vegeta and that's about it. The game looks frickin' insane!

Could someone post pictures of the characters they suggest? So far in what we've seen 3 characters look almost the same. Are the characters in the DBZ universe varied or does most look like Goku?
Everyone looks like Vegeta, with the exception of Piccolo who is green and Broly who is an idiot.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Sweet, would this mean Super Saiyan blue would be transformations for Goku and Vegeta then? Or maybe not since all I've seen have just been normal blond super saiyan.

SSB isn't there yet, it's possible that might be a separate character.

SS3 Goku is actually part of a super and not a normal transformation too.

Alienous

Hasn't Slaythe already confirmed that he saw SSB Goku as a seperate character. Hopefully it isn't a problem for me to say it, as Slaythe seems to have stopped doing so.

Dragon Ball Super is the face of modern Dragon Ball. I don't see any way that Bandai Namco allows ArcSys to not include the DB Super characters that were at the height of their popularity as development would have been starting (i.e. Hit and Goku Black). Leaving them as DLC characters doesn't seem like it would make sense, as they would have known that Super was continuing and that new Super characters could be DLC.

DB Super characters were a major selling point of Xenoverse 2 (for pre-orders, the game itself and DLCs), garnering millions of video views when the inclusion of Super characters were announced. For Dragon Ball FighterZ to go through its entire marketing campaign without being able to tout having characters from Super seems like a really poor business decision.

Slaythe

Hasn't Slaythe already confirmed that he saw SSB Goku as a seperate character. Hopefully it isn't a problem for me to say it, as Slaythe seems to have stopped doing so.

Dragon Ball Super is the face of modern Dragon Ball. I don't see any way that Bandai Namco allows ArcSys to not include the DB Super characters that were at the height of their popularity as development would have been starting (i.e. Hit and Goku Black). Leaving them as DLC characters doesn't seem like it would make sense, as they would have known that Super was continuing and that new Super characters could be DLC.

DB Super characters were a major selling point of Xenoverse 2 (for pre-orders, the game itself and DLCs), garnering millions of video views when the inclusion of Super characters were announced. For Dragon Ball FighterZ to go through its entire marketing campaign without being able to tout having characters from Super seems like a really poor business decision.

If you think they care that much about Super, why in hell do you think 17 would make it in the game after 18 16 and 20 ? That doesn't add up.

edit :

And for the record I didn't see (key word) SSB Goku. I'd rather not elaborate as Bandai isn't happy with me talking. Understandably so, I hope they understand I was trying to steer hype and not spill beans on anything. I haven't said anything about single player or stuff like that, so I'm sure they'll overlook stuff like "piccolo is in the game". But I'm gonna stop that kind of thing anyway.

Alienous

If you think they care that much about Super, why in hell do you think 17 would make it in the game after 18 16 and 20 ? That doesn't add up.

Because, and correct me if I'm wrong, it seems unlikely that ArcSys could have predicted 17's 'revival' as a character in Super. Given how long it takes to make a fighting game character the Super elements that would have been in consideration when the roster for Dragon Ball FighterZ was being defined would be from the U7 tournament and the Black arc, seemingly.

I can see 17 being DLC.

I-hate-u

If they're picking limited Super characters, it should be as follow:

Beerus
Merged Zamasu
Kale (Assuming no Broly, otherwise Caulifla)
Toppo (we need grapplers in the game)

The next in line should be Hit, but I think the above are enough for Super representation.

Karsha

What if they make 17 and 18 one character? 18 starts and 17 jumps in for attacks/ barriers and their lv3 is the sadistic dance followed by the ki blast storm if you are willing to use another 2 supers.

I like 17 but I feel like they will use 18 since she is the only true girl fighter in z and it would be a shame to put 17 instead of 16 imho considering the second one has a far more interesting moveset

Slaythe

Because, and correct me if I'm wrong, it seems unlikely that ArcSys could have predicted 17's 'revival' as a character in Super. Given how long it takes to make a fighting game character the Super elements that would have been in consideration when the roster for Dragon Ball FighterZ was being defined would be from the U7 tournament and the Black arc, seemingly.

I can see 17 being DLC.

It takes them 4 months to make a Guilty Gear Xrd character, that have more complex designs as well as more complex movesets.

17 was announced as making a full return (with a shot of his new design) back in ... I think november.

The game was still in its early development phase.

They certainly saw 17's return around april too.

Game will release in march 2018 so that's almost an entire year.

What if they make 17 and 18 one character? 18 starts and 17 jumps in for attacks/ barriers and their lv3 is the sadistic dance followed by the ki blast storm if you are willing to use another 2 supers.

I like 17 but I feel like they will use 18 since she is the only true girl fighter in z and it would be a shame to put 17 instead of 16 imho considering the second one has a far more interesting moveset

It undermines both characters.

Better to just make them one at a time, even if the other is DLC / sequal character.

It's a wasted opportunity to not have them in a TAG game since they're among the only few that did tag stuff.

Sheentak

If they are at 20% with 6 charecters 24 roster is where it will be so

Super saiyan blue Goku
Trunks SSJ with sword
Ultimate Gohan
Piccolo
Android 18
Krillen
Kid buu
Tien
Broly
Yamcha
Android 17
Beerus
Dabura
Gotenks ssj3 install
Android 16
Nappa
Mr Roshi
Vegito

24 roster kept it to Z and the 2new movies

Alienous

It takes them 4 months to make a Guilty Gear Xrd character, that have more complex designs as well as more complex movesets.

17 was announced as making a full return (with a shot of his new design) back in ... I think november.

The game was still in its early development phase.

They certainly saw 17's return around april too.

Game will release in march 2018 so that's almost an entire year.

I suppose it's possible then. I would imagine, assuming a minimum of two years of total development, that the core game roster would would have been finalized in at least the 6 months following the start of development (presumably March 2016, if the game will have two years total). But I don't know much about fighting game development. There are a lot of elements to consider though, like the insider information they would have had.

Hopefully we'll know soon.

cordy

Banned

That's your opinion, I just don't see it based on the potential roster size. If it's around 20 characters I can't see Hit or Black in the game. If it's around 24? I think it would make sense if they were in. Even if Super's popular I'm definitely not seeing it. As for Super characters being DLC and pre-orders? Yeah that's exactly what I'm saying. I'm just not seeing Hit, Black or anyone else from Super in the base game unless the roster's up to 24 characters.

Neoxon

If they're picking limited Super characters, it should be as follow:

Beerus
Merged Zamasu
Kale (Assuming no Broly, otherwise Caulifla)
Toppo (we need grapplers in the game)

The next in line should be Hit, but I think the above are enough for Super representation.
It's too soon for any of the bolded. Unless Toei gave ASW some early intel, Whis & Hit would be more likely to get in first over Toppo, Caulifla, or Kale.

Slaythe

Literally check the first post in the thread. There is a list of characters.

Top Bottom