• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most godawful Star Trek moments (with spoilers and gifs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wrote this for GAF, and to start a discussion about Trek's weaker moments and anything I’ve missed.

15. Captain Archer takes his dog on a vital diplomatic mission, lets it piss on an ancient and hugely spiritual artifact of a highly-pious people, and gets angry at them when they are unhappy about it

For some reason the writers of Enterprise decide to write Captain Archer as a petulant and petty child for one particular episode, regarded as being one of the stupidest in the entire franchise. The website Agony Booth describes the treatment of Archer's character in this episode as the product of "active, aggressive hatred for your own creations to annihilate them to this degree.".

Its really, embarrassingly stupid. The episode seems to be trying to portray the Captain as being in the right, when his actions are absolutely, completely idiotic.

14. Gul Dukat becomes Satan, only to be stopped by Space Jesus

Jr8SD.gif

Deep Space Nine’s Gul Dukat was one of the series’ best-developed recurring characters. He was introduced as a tyrant who oversaw the brutal Cardassian occupation of the innocent Bajor. Under his watch, the inhabitants of Bajor were tortured, enslaved and exterminated, and the planet was ransacked for its wealth and natural resources. The character often explains that he could not stop the occupation, so he tried to make it less intolerable to the victims by abolishing child labour and taking actions to prevent slaves from being worked to death. It is unclear how much of this is true, and how much is a positive revision of history.

Gul Dukat said:
Perhaps the biggest disappointment in my life, is that the Bajoran people still refuse to acknowledge how lucky they were to have me as their liberator.

The series shows this complex character as being initially an ambiguous adversary, and soonafter a desperate ally. He is shown to have a conscience (in choosing not to murder his illegitimate daughter and accept the shame her existence brings) and a respect for our heroes. He eventually betrays the entire Alpha Quadrant for the power of The Dominion and, when his victory is all but assured, his entire world comes crashing down. His beloved daughter is murdered by his best friend. His Dominion allies abandon him. His chance to finally earn the respect of the Bajorans is stolen from him. He suffers a complete mental breakdown, and becomes a gibbering wreck rocking back and forth in a dark cell. Gul Dukat’s story seemed to be at its end.

And yet...

cOhc1.gif

The writers decided there was more for Dukat to do, and reintroduced him to the show as a religious lunatic, now aligned to the diabolical Pah-Wraiths – the hellish evil beings sealed beneath Bajor. He develops demonic powers such as immolation, telekinesis and control of fire. The ever self-serving Dukat becomes a loyal and boring servant of his new devilish masters.

He became a completely different character, following an arc completely disconnected to his development through the show. The conclusion of the final episode is significantly tainted by a battle between this cackling, pointless madman, and Captain Benjamin Space Jesus Sisko. The whole thing is an uncomfortable, tacked on story that adds nothing to the series and greatly diminishes all the brilliant development the character had.

13. Voyager’s shuttles

When Star Trek Voyager came out, it was an exciting premise for the franchise. A lone starship trapped in deep space, struggling with no resources, no allies, no repairs and no hope! A crew of direct enemies whose opposing philosophies would undoubtedly lead to tension and conflict! A continuing saga of survival and desperation in the untamed wilderness beyond known space!

What we got was the safest, dullest, most boring show of the entire franchise, that didn’t use its premise in the slightest. Nearly all plot developments were deleted by the infamous metaphorical “Voyager reset button” by the end of each episode. In seven years, not a single brave decision had been made regarding anything. Deep Space Nine’s Ronald D Moore offered his scathing view on the shallowness of the show:

Ronald D Moore said:
But at the end of the episode, it’s just a shrug and a smile and off to the next. I just hit the ceiling. I remember writing in the margins, ‘This is a total betrayal of the audience. This is wrong. You can’t end the show like this. If you are going to do all this other stuff, you can’t end the show like this, because it’s not fair, because it’s not true, and it just wouldn’t happen.’ "But the show is what the show is. It just became about action sequences. Brannon is very proud of the fact that the show is more action-oriented than the others, and it’s faster; it’s stylistically a little more daring than the other STAR TREK shows. All that’s great. I give him a lot of credit for changing the look and feel of the show. When he came aboard VOYAGER, the show started to look and feel different; it has a different sensibility stylistically. Even in the storytelling, it was starting to become a little more edgy. That’s great, because STAR TREK needs that breath of fresh air to keep it vital. But it can’t all be flash and sizzle. It has to be about something at some level.

B4jSJ.gif

The best observation that the writers of Voyager didn’t give a shit about their premise and were likely in it just for the money, was the infamous Voyager shuttlecraft count. The series bible (apparently) said something like this:

Voyager normally carries two standard shuttlecraft.

And there is dialogue explaining that the crew simply do not have the resources to rebuild photon torpedoes or shuttles. As this website will tell you, Voyager destroyed about seventeen of its two shuttlecraft during the show. The writers of Voyager seemed to have nothing but contempt for the unique scenario they created in their own show.

12. Kirk versus God.

The infamous Star Trek V : The Final Frontier. The William Shatner written and directed bombsite, in which the run down Enterprise is taken over by Spock’s magic brother, to fly to a magical planet where they can meet “God”. Shatner’s original script was even worse than the final product, in which all of the Enterprise crew betray him and he is forced to fight “God” on his own.

rBgng.jpg

The whole thing is a travesty, and manages to soundly outcrap even Star Trek Nemesis, in which Captain Picard must fight evil young Captain Picard who is inexplicably in charge of the Romulans.

11. Janeway laughs off assimilation.

Admiral Hanson said:
A few years ago, I watched a freshman cadet pass four upperclassmen on the last hill of the 40km-run on Danula II - the damnedest thing I ever saw. The only freshman to ever win the Academy marathon. I made it my business to get to know that young fellow, and I got to know him very, very well. And I'll tell you something: I never met anyone with more drive, determination or more courage than Jean-Luc Picard.

Jean Luc Picard said:
(sobbing) You don't know, Robert. You don't know... They took everything I was. They used me to kill and to destroy and I couldn't stop them. I should have been able to stop them. I tried... I tried so hard. But I wasn't strong enough! I wasn't good enough! I should have been able to stop them, I should've, I should...!

dwNhU.gif

When Picard was assimilated by The Borg, he was forced to ensure an agonising technological rape of his mind and body. His flesh was hijacked and mutilated, and his mind was absorbed and used to kill thousands of people. The incident traumatised one of The Federation’s strongest men, haunting him for the rest of his life and leading to an eventual sobbing breakdown in a muddy field in France. Picard had been instrumental in the defeat of The Borg, but they had utterly, completely broken him.

When Captain Janeway was forced to endure the same agony:

Uz2XM.jpg

She is rescued, immediately healed, and working and drinking coffee a couple of hours after surgery. She is laughing and joking with her crew about the incident, and it is never spoke of again.

Yeah. Clearly everyone who has been horrifically traumatised and violated by The Borg has nothing on Janeway's iron will.

10. Spock’s brain gets stolen.

FfDze.jpg

The profoundly idiotic episode in which some aliens steal Spock’s brain, leading to McCoy controlling his body with a control pad. It is even more stupid than it sounds. It is even more stupid than that time the crew of the Enterprise found Abraham Lincoln floating in space in his presidential chair. It is even more stupid than the hippy episodes. Its shite.

9. That racist episode.

Jonathan Frakes (Will Riker) said:
racist piece of shit.... The worst and most embarrassing and one that even Gene would have been embarrassed by was that horrible racist episode from the first season... Code of Honor, oh my God in heaven!

Brent Spiner (Data) said:
was just a racist episode. Maybe not intentionally but it felt that way and looked that way. It was the third episode so it was fortuitous that we did our worst that early on and it never got quite that bad again

RlJWh.jpg

Its best you just read about it. The Enterprise goes to a planet where the “aliens” are all inexplicably played by African-American actors, and act like some sort of bizarre parody of offensively stereotyped African culture. The lead alien kidnaps Tasha Yar and makes her fight his prospective wife to the death, for the honour of marrying him.

It’s not just offensive, it’s stupid. The plot is stupid, and everyone is wrote to be an idiot, even Picard. Possibly the lowest point of The Next Generation. Garbage.

8. Quark’s breasts.

0lsOp.gif

The Dominion War. The galaxy is plunged into a conflict the likes of which has never been seen. Millions are killed, planets are invaded, allies turn on each other and the enemies of humanity grow more powerful every day. It is a dark time for the human race and the United Federation of Planets, and Ragnarok is looming over everything.

Under these dire, desperate circumstances, Quark gets breasts.

FuEXF.gif

In a utterly pointless episode, Quark’s new boob powers save Ferengi civilisation from the evil Nagus Brunt. Quark’s boobs eventually lead to a revolution on Ferenginar, in which his brother becomes the Emperor of the planet and institutes reforms enabling equal rights and a welfare revolution.

All thanks to Quark’s boobs.

7. Under no circumstances is a starship captain allowed to be female.

In a bizarre twist, the original series of Star Trek shows that the advanced human race is actually profoundly sexist.

Janice Lester said:
"Your world of starship captains doesn't admit women."

It’s a really bad story called “Turnabout Intruder”, in which Kirk’s ex-girlfriend kidnaps his body, leaving poor William Shatner having to act out the role of a highly-emotional unstable woman for most of the episode. The whole thing comes across as offensive and stupid.

Of course, the whole thing is rightfully ignored by the time of The Next Generation.

6. Enterprise’s “sexy” decon chamber.

For no logical reason whatsoever, the pilot of Enterprise had a blue room called “decon”, in which the actors must stand in their skimpy underwear slowly rubbing oil onto each other from different angles. The room was retained and the “sexy” was toned down as the series went on, but the whole thing comes across as a desperate attempt to inject sex appeal in some incredibly out of place scenes.

5. The crew of the Starship Voyager defeats the entire Q Continuum and the Borg collective.

The Q Continuum – the omnipresent Gods of the Star Trek universe. They appear to humanity as tricksters with hidden agendas, gently provoking the human race into a higher understanding of reality. They think in ways we cannot imagine, and sometimes act in ways we wish they wouldn’t. The Next Generation teaches us that these advanced, unfathomable aliens are really, probably looking out for our own good.

Here is the bit where the Starship Voyager flies into the Q Continuum.

J98hm.jpg

Here is the bit where Tom Paris single handedly defeats and disarms one of the oldest and most powerful Q in the multiverse.

Ili95.jpg

Here is the bit in which Q and Mrs Q orgasm in front of Captain Janeway.

Nj4Ki.jpg

Well done, Voyager.

Oh, and I know this was somewhat covered in another thread, but in Voyager, The Borg went from this:

mXC0m.gif

To this:

postnerfedborg6.gif

4. Lieutenant Tom Paris turns into a salamander and fucks Captain Janeway

SFDebris said:
It is no small irony that this episode, that so badly mangles evolution, is the best single argument against a loving God.

Trek Wiki said:
Kate Mulgrew (Captain Janeway) remarked to the audience that "Threshold" was the episode of Star Trek: Voyager she was most uncomfortable with, noting that she didn't like the thought of mating with Paris as a lizard.

Branon Braga (The writer of the episode) said:
"It's a terrible episode. People are very unforgiving about that episode. I've written well over a hundred episodes of Star Trek, yet it seems to be the only episode anyone brings up, you know? 'Brannon Braga, who wrote 'Threshold'!' Out of a hundred and some episodes, you're gonna have some stinkers! Unfortunately, that was a royal, steaming stinker."

uIbsr.jpg

The dumbest episode of Voyager, which had more than its fair share of dumb episodes. Tom Paris travels at Warp 10, which means he occupies every point in the universe simultaneously. This causes him to transform into a salamander and makes him have sex with Captain Janeway. They produce some lovely salamander children, and the Star Trek Voyager Reset Button is pressed, everything goes back to normal, and they never speak of it again.

I don’t need to go into details here, it’s been done by people far smarter than myself. See:

The Agony Booth looks at “Threshold”

Chuck Sonnerberg’s full video on the horror that is “Threshold”.

Trek Wiki - Threshold

That someone with a working brain could have made this episode just beggars belief.

3. The last episode of Star Trek, ever.

Enterprise series four. After a pretty terrible first two seasons, and a passable third, a new showrunner brought some fresh blood to the franchise. An enthusiastic and eager man called Manny Coto took over the show, and after a poor opening that had to wrap up the drek from the last season, things started getting considerably better. Multi-arc stories with actual continuity, genuine attempts to link our present with Trek’s future, energy, excitement and even some intelligence was finding its way back into the franchise. For the first time since Deep Space Nine’s conclusion, good televised Trek was starting to emerge.

Then the show was cancelled. Rather than allowing Coto to conclude his successful season, the dipshits from Voyager - Rick Berman and Brannon Braga – returned to write what they considered “a love letter to the fans”. They decided that they should be the ones to conclude a show just managing to escape their toxic influence.

With the show’s fanbase hopeful for a resolution to certain themes that had underpinned the entire four seasons, they were more than a little surprised when they got this instead:

2VpUP.jpg

The entire finale was part of a holodeck simulation during Star Trek: The Next Generation, in which Riker and Troi watch pivotal Enterprise characters get killed for no purposeful reason. The whole thing is a meandering mess, concluding little from the actual four seasons of Enterprise. The primary focus on characters not from the actual series, was a sore point for fans. Everyone who watches this piece of shit hates it.

It appears that Berman and Braga could not resist one last opportunity to piss on the corpse of the franchise.

2. The post-TOS interpretation of “The Prime Directive”.

In the original Star Trek series, the Prime Directive is in place to prevent interference in the natural development of alien cultures. If such cultures were in danger of extinction or extermination, Kirk would often save them from their terrible fate, with the idea that slight involvement in resolving the disaster is better than the unnecessary extinction of an innocent people.

In all future series, this Prime Directive was revised. Now, absolutely no involvement is to occur. The crew of the Enterprise routinely watch planets with millions of people on them, die in natural disasters that the ship could have easily and discretely prevented. In a statement of grand arrogance, Commander Riker once said that all these deaths could be “part of a cosmic plan” and that it would be the “height of hubris” to use a tachyon beam to save a civilisation.

Notably, Commander Riker chooses to break the Prime Directive himself only when his latest love-interest is in danger (The Outcast), proving that for him, interference is only allowed when his cock says so.

There are literally scenes on the bridge of the Enterprise D in which they watch planets destroy themselves, with no concern for any of the pre-warp civilisations being made extinct and no attempt to help when they confirm they clearly are able.

The Enterprise episode Dear Doctor has our heroes withholding a cure for a horrible fatal disease from an alien race, for absolutely no logical or plot reason whatsoever. It makes them, and the future human race, come across as tyrannical cold-hearted bastards.

1. There are no gay humans in Star Trek, anywhere, under any circumstances.

There is a very big article on this on Wikipedia, and it’s an interesting and surprising read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexuality_in_Star_Trek

In short, all humans in the 24th Century appear to be straight. There is not, in any of the series, a single gay human at any time. Deep Space Nine’s Ronald D Moore has this to say on it:

Tell me why there are no gay characters in Star Trek. This is one of those uncomfortable questions I hate getting when I was working on the show, because there is no good answer for it. There is no answer for it other than people in charge don’t want gay characters in Star Trek, period...

Moore goes on to say that it was not Paramount blocking a gay character from appearing on the how. Kate Mulgrew (who plays Captain Janeway) seems to give us a clearer idea who was at the root of this:

No, Star Trek is very strangely by the book in this regard. Rick Berman, who is a very sagacious man, has been very firm about certain things. I've approached him many, many times over the years about getting a gay character on the show — one whom we could really love, not just a guest star. Y'know, we had blacks, Asians, we even had a handicapped character — and so I thought, this is now beginning to look a bit absurd.

Whoopi Goldberg tried to adjust one of her scenes to include possibly gay humans, but was quickly stopped by the powers that be.

In one of the scenes with Guinan tutoring Lal about human sexuality, Whoopi Goldberg altered one of her script lines in order to turn a strictly heterosexual explanation into a gender-neutral version: "According to the script, Guinan was supposed to start telling Lal, 'When a man and a woman are in love ...' and in the background, there would be men and women sitting at tables, holding hands[...] But Whoopi refused to say that. She said, 'This show is beyond that. It should be 'When two people are in love.'" It was also decided on set that the background of the scene show a same-sex couple holding hands, but "someone ran to a phone and made a call to the production office and that was nixed. [Producer] David Livingston came down and made sure that didn't happen.

This closed-minded approach to human sexuality is by far the most embarrassing and shameful thing about Star Trek. To end the OP on a positive note however:

J. J. Abrams, who rebooted the franchise with 2009's Star Trek, said in 2011 that he was "frankly shocked that in the history of Star Trek there have never been gay characters in all the series". Including a gay character in the next film "was not in the list of my priorities to try to figure out how to make this movie in the best possible way. But it will now be in the hopper."

I'm done

Trek-GAF – What moments have I missed? And of the above, which is the most embarrassing?

Best moment is when Decker saves the earth with his wang.

Kirk vs God is actually awesome. It's the one piece of corn in that piece of shit film.

Qwomo

Gul Dukat's final arc was so completely awful. One of the bigger disappointments of DS9.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The profoundly idiotic episode in which some aliens steal Spock’s brain, leading to McCoy controlling his body with a control pad. It is even more stupid than it sounds. It is even more stupid than that time the crew of the Enterprise found Abraham Lincoln floating in space in his presidential chair. It is even more stupid than the hippy episodes. Its shite.
Bah, I came in expecting both of these.

jchap

Clearly humanity has found a cure for homosexuality in the future!

But wait... wasn't there some hot female trill on trill action in ds9?

ds9_dax_kiss.gif

Ohhhh yeah

akira28

guise. guise, that was obviously not God but a super powerful energy creature that could read minds. Obviously it was trapped their by some higher power, and it was only fitting that Kirk arrived to both troll the shit out of it, and also destroy it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I'm sorry, #3 and #4 not being #1 and #2 is just not right.

11. Janeway laughs off assimilation.

I hate Janeway as much as any other sane person...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279048
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=378377

...But I think there are plenty of other things to hate on other than that. Janeway went into assimilation willingly, and was not responsible for the destruction of a big chunk of the federation fleet. Picard was mind raped pretty much, and it's believable that Janeway woudl not suffer the same trauma.

Qasiel

Captain Janeway sleeping with a hologram, and then getting her panties in a bunch when Harry Kim falls in love with an alien engineer.

btw, how does the "there are no gays" theme vibe with that TNG episode where Riker pimped that androgynous chick who was brainwashed by her society from having her evil and dirty gender feelings?

That was a pretty bold episode both for trek, and for the era.

Qasiel

btw, how does the "there are no gays" theme vibe with that TNG episode where Riker pimped that androgynous chick who was brainwashed by her society from having her evil and dirty gender feelings?

That was a pretty bold episode both for trek, and for the era.

Wasn't that a Voyager ep, where males and females could only breed when a 3rd gender (a "progenitor") got involved? Or am I thinking somethign completely different here?

Wasn't that a Voyager ep, where males and females could only breed when a 3rd gender (a "progenitor") got involved? Or am I thinking somethign completely different here?

No, the one I'm thinking of was definitely TNG, and definitely Riker. It had anti gender brainwashing and everything. Pretty clearly a commentary on homophobia and sexual reeducation and whatnot.

The last episode of Enterprise wasn't that bad. Besides, after so many people were upset at the intro theme tune, I can't take any more of their complaints seriously when it comes to Enterprise

In regards to the lack of gay relationships, the OP fails to expand on the plot line of the episode Outcast he cites. It seems to directly contradict the insinuation that the shows producers were homophobic. Read about it here

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_Outcast_(episode)

ckohler

Some of those on the list don't bother me (I like Janeway, in general) but without a doubt Number 4 should be number 1. It was offensive. It shits in the face of Star Trek's long standing appreciation for scientific integrity.

Evolution doesn't work that way. Period. The writers typically reaserch this stuff but here they just made up how an entirely REAL science works and got it waaay wrong.

They can't even keep thier own imaginary science correct. You can't just achieve the infinite energy required to go WARP 10 just because you come across some rare element. Ugh.

Oh, and let's now just use the transporter to reverse mutation! While you're at it can you program it to give me a twelve inch dick and a jaw like Riker? Granted, this wasn't the first time the transporter was abused in this way (even happened in TNG) but this was just added insult to an alread awful episode.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Some of those on the list don't bother me (I like Janeway, in general) but without a doubt Number 4 should be number 1. It was offensive. It shits in the face of Star Trek's long standing appreciation for scientific integrity.

Evolution simly doesn't work that way. Period.

Wut? Trek has terrible respect for biology. Species that evolved on completely different planets are capable of inbreeding without any serious risk of defects.

I actually like the tone of "the racist episode." I can't say it was very entertaining, but they fleshed out a society that might actually exist and I respected that. I like the concept of the female landlords and the male stewards.

LCfiner

Very nice thread. I enjoyed reading about some of these lower moments that I haven’t seen.

The more I read about Voyager (i only saw parts of season 1) the more I cringe.

3. The last episode of Star Trek, ever.
*snip*

Huhwhat? This never happened!

As far as I can remember, 4x21, Terra Prime, was the series finale, and it even worked too!

That's right. This never happened! lalalalalala

Fake edit: Actually, the final narration and multiple Enterprise montage was pretty nice.

ckohler

Wut? Trek has terrible respect for biology. Species that evolved on completely different planets are capable of inbreeding without any serious risk of defects.
The TNG episode "The Chase" does sorta explain the whole two arms, two legs, two eyes, breathing Oxygen thing being universal across most all species. However, inter-species breeding doesn't always work.

Ripclawe

Banned
In the original Star Trek series, the Prime Directive is in place to prevent interference in the natural development of alien cultures. If such cultures were in danger of extinction or extermination, Kirk would often save them from their terrible fate, with the idea that slight involvement in resolving the disaster is better than the unnecessary extinction of an innocent people.

In all future series, this Prime Directive was revised. Now, absolutely no involvement is to occur.

This always bugged the shit out of me especially in TNG. Kirk's way was at least pragmatic, the TNG way just got in the way of some good stories and just made humans look like shit.

WillyFive

Huhwhat? This never happened!

As far as I can remember, 4x21, Terra Prime, was the series finale, and it even worked too!

That's right. This never happened! lalalalalala

Fake edit: Actually, the final narration and multiple Enterprise montage was pretty nice.

Yeah. It wasn't until later than I realized that they stole Enterprise final moment for a random TNG cameo; but when I was first watching it, it came out really well. A good sense of finality and reverence to the saga.

This always bugged the shit out of me especially in TNG. Kirk's way was at least pragmatic, the TNG way just got in the way of some good stories and just made humans look like shit.

I felt the OP exaggerated that point a little. TNG, at least, wasn't always non-interventionist. There are examples of Picard bending the rules to facilitate intervention and times where he does so directly

Suairyu

Banned
Clearly humanity has found a cure for homosexuality in the future!

But wait... wasn't there some hot female trill on trill action in ds9?

ds9_dax_kiss.gif

Ohhhh yeah
I shit you not, this is still to-date the hottest kiss I have ever seen captured on motion video.

Youtubes

The emotional context, Dax's soft, sweet whisper, the face-touching and the kiss sound effects, the way their lips meld... even the trill spots on their necks and temples add to it.

It's a perfect kiss.

trilobyte

I'll add another bad aspect to Trek. The weird out-of-the-blue romantic pairings at the end of the series for TNG and VOY

What was worse is that both used the relationships as emotional tie-ins in their finales. Like the audience would even care about a forced relationship that started in the last couple of episodes?

TNG: Worf and Deanna
7fnq676

I couldn't help but think how smashed up Deanna's groin must be...

VOY: Chakotay and Seven
cqdvn89

It was just plain awkward... Nevermind that they spent most of the seasons establishing a semi-romantic interest between Janeway and Chaktoy.

I'll add another bad aspect to Trek. The weird out-of-the-blue romantic pairings at the end of the series for TNG and VOY

What was worse is that both used the relationships as emotional tie-ins in their finales. Like the audience would even care about a forced relationship that started in the last couple of episodes?

TNG: Worf and Deanna
7fnq676

I couldn't help but think how smashed up Deanna's groin must be...

VOY: Chakotay and Seven
cqdvn89

It was just plain awkward...

Completely agree. I still don't understand the Chakotay and Seven thing. I must have missed an entire season or something.

Qwomo

The TNG episode "The Chase" does sorta explain the whole two arms, two legs, two eyes, breathing Oxygen thing being universal across most all species. However, inter-species breeding doesn't always work.

Well that episode was less "explanation" and more a nudge and a wink and a plothole-filling conceit. All told, the whole Progenitor (is that what they're called?) thing is one of the most facepalmy moments of TNG.

Suairyu

Banned
Completely agree. I still don't understand the Chakotay and Seven thing. I must have missed an entire season or something.
You missed nothing. Seven simulated a relationship with him on the holodeck. Kinda awful, but it had thematic purpose so you let it slide.

Then at the end of the series she'd actually made the relationship happen. Somehow. Oh well.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Not really godawful by any stretch of the imagination, but I was always annoyed by how shields would simply not exist whenever there was a space battle in DS9. I know they wanted it to look more cinematic, and it does, but it's always just been weird to me to ignore such a major technical aspect.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
With regards to the Gender neutrality if you remember in next gen they met an androgynous race and Riker fell in love with one of them, I thought was a pretty good episode tbh, I'm glad they explored it.

Not really godawful by any stretch of the imagination, but I was always annoyed by how shields would simply not exist whenever there was a space battle in DS9. I know they wanted it to look more cinematic, and it does, but it's always just been weird to me to ignore such a major technical aspect.

It was an open space station. I don't think vessels can fly through an erect shield. If not, shields would probably be the last thing enabled in reality.

Divvy

It was an open space station. I don't think vessels can fly through an erect shield. If not, shields would probably be the last thing enabled in reality.

I meant all space battles, especially towards the end. Ships getting blown up in one hit, everything causes explosions on a ship's hull. That sort of thing.

ckohler

I don't follow you. I'm pretty sure those battles followed the same "shields down to 30 percent" that the rest of Trek followed. Shields are fallible otherwise they wouldn't bother building phaser arrays onto ships.

Averon

This thread made me realize how often Star Trek was horribly mishandled. Was the series and its premise that hard to write coherently?

I meant all space battles, especially towards the end. Ships getting blown up in one hit, everything causes explosions on a ship's hull. That sort of thing.

I'm watching ds9 through right now, and it seems to start with the defiant, which is still dumb, but at least the logic is "this ship is so powerful guys". Then it starts happening with jem hadar ships doing it to others, which supposedly the argument would be "dominion weaponz??!1".

Still dumb tho

Divvy

I'm watching ds9 through right now, and it seems to start with the defiant, which is still dumb, but at least the logic is "this ship is so powerful guys". Then it starts happening with jem hadar ships doing it to others, which supposedly the argument would be "dominion weaponz??!1".

Still dumb tho

It makes sense with the Defiant sort of, because it has ablative armour. That could conceivably cause explosions when the armour gets vapourized. But when galaxy class starships become so fragile, it starts looking a bit silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom