• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has any bad guy in history been nerfed to this level? (warning: GIFs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just can't put it into words. Star Trek's The Borg as originally presented:

mXC0m.gif

The Borg Cube. It was an apocalyptic threat the likes of which the Star Trek universe had never seen. Their fearsome, monolithic vessel could travel across the galaxy devouring the life off all planets in its path. Its unstoppable drones would adapt to all attacks, and force you to endure a mutilating technorape of horrors as they stole from you your flesh and soul. One ship decimated the fleets of the Federation, made its greatest Captain betray his people, massacred tens of thousands and was only defeated in the final hour through the dumbest of dumb luck.

Star Trek: Voyager's take on the most powerful enemy of humanity:

postnerfedborg6.gif

For fucks sake.

Question:

Has enemy enemy been more nerfed than The Borg? Examples please.

akira28

Fuck Voyager. That shit never happened.

i can't think of any examples though. Maybe the Empire's Storm Troopers. They wiped the galaxy clean of Jedi, and afterwards could no longer shoot straight at anything standing still.

Big-E

Can't think of one yet other than the Borg. Star Trek tends to do this with other things as well such as ships getting one shotted left and right in the later parts of the Dominion War but nothing to the level of the Voyagers Borg.

EDIT: To continue the Voyager parade, don't forget what they did with the Q.

The Terminators in T4 were pretty fucking stupid. HEY! I GOTCHA!

*THROWS TARGET ACROSS THE ROOM*

IMA COMIN!

I GOTCHA!

*THROWS TARGET TO OTHER SIDE OF THE ROOM*

Menos Grande hollows in Bleach went from titanic centerpiece foes to utter cannon fodder. Most of the hollows turned into that, actually.

commedieu

Banned
any of these count:

1. Aliens from Independence Day
2. Aliens from War Of The Worlds
3. RA from Stargate
4. The Deathstar

Puddles

Banned
I don't really watch Trek, but I'm somewhat familiar with the universe, and that shit is embarrassing.
any of these count:

1. Aliens from Independence Day
2. Aliens from War Of The Worlds
3. RA from Stargate
4. The Deathstar

#1 doesn't count. A major plot point involved bringing down their shields. At that point, they were vulnerable. #2 doesn't count, since the whole point of the plot was that they died of natural diseases. Not sure about #3. With #4, are you talking about the second Death Star? It wasn't finished.

Puddles

Banned
X-Men the Animated Series.

First episode: one Sentinel nearly overpowers the entire team.
Mid-series episode: Jubilee can one-shot them, and Wolverine goes through them like Kado's wife goes through club dancers.

RetroMG

I haven't read the book, so I'd be interested in hearing how the aliens in War of the Worlds were nerfed.

I guess I can kind of see where this is coming from, but I don't think it's the best example.

Basically, (and no, I'm not spoiler tagging something that originally came out well before most of us were born,) the aliens come, completely wreck human civilization, destroy our every line of defense and kill most of humanity, and then die out because they couldn't adapt to the germs and diseases on Earth.

So, I guess you could argue that's technically a nerf, but the audio play makes a strong point of saying that the tiniest creatures on earth succeeded in stopping the invasion where Man, the mightiest creature on Earth, could not. Somehow the fact that the irony is pointed out defeats the idea of a nerf, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry if this isn't clear or if there are any errors. It's very late and I'm very sleep-deprived.

Treo360

I guess I can kind of see where this is coming from, but I don't think it's the best example.

Basically, (and no, I'm not spoiler tagging something that originally came out well before most of us were born,) the aliens come, completely wreck human civilization, destroy our every line of defense and kill most of humanity, and then die out because they couldn't adapt to the germs and diseases on Earth.

So, I guess you could argue that's technically a nerf, but the audio play makes a strong point of saying that the tiniest creatures on earth succeeded in stopping the invasion where Man, the mightiest creature on Earth, could not. Somehow the fact that the irony is pointed out defeats the idea of a nerf, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry if this isn't clear or if there are any errors. It's very late and I'm very sleep-deprived.

No, that is very clear, and precisely what happens in the book/movies

You avatar immediately brought the Daleks to mind. Good Lord.

apana

I want the borg to be in one of the Star Trek movies. Since this one is a different timeline they don't need to follow all the things done in Voyager. I did enjoy Voyager though, and I know at least a few other Star Trek fans liked it.

dabig2

All the gods in the Hercules and Xena shows. Of course, there was a story element to that but still, I really hated it.

Oh, and mostly every comic book villain. Galactus.....come on man.

RSP

I don't feel like you understand what nerf means.

Just because someone loses doesn't mean they were nerfed.

ID4:

* Aliens commeth
* Destroying cities, fuck yeah
* no ships taken down, everybody dies
* develop virus
* upload via serial port
* destroy mothership
* all aliens be dead

ID4:

* Aliens commeth
* Destroying cities, fuck yeah
* no ships taken down, everybody dies
* develop virus
* upload via serial port
* destroy mothership
* all aliens be dead

You do know that Independence Day is supposed to be like a modern adaptation of The War of the Worlds? The virus that Jeff Goldblum develops is a hilariously dumb surrogate for the virus that kills the aliens in WotW.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
jango-fett-star-wars-mace-windu-jango-fett-jedi-kill-gun-swo-demotivational-poster-1246754344.jpg

Though not as epic as other examples posted here, so not exactly on topic.

but its not like he really did much. his twin blasters were nice, but thats not much to go on to class him as nerfed.

commedieu

Banned
You do know that Independence Day is supposed to be like a modern adaptation of The War of the Worlds? The virus that Jeff Goldblum develops is a hilariously dumb surrogate for the virus that kills the aliens in WotW.

Thats why I consider it nerfing... when its something so dumb or overlooked by the super villain.

Puddles,

The deathstar pretty much had a blow up button. cmon

I like my list.

dino1980

The Borg had the technology to travel the universe in a second because they could exceed warp 10. So why didnt they just do a suprise attack on earth and be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom