• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has any bad guy in history been nerfed to this level? (warning: GIFs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apath

You do know that Independence Day is supposed to be like a modern adaptation of The War of the Worlds? The virus that Jeff Goldblum develops is a hilariously dumb surrogate for the virus that kills the aliens in WotW.
I didn't understand why even without shields the aliens weren't able to take over the world. They had multiple mother ships with fleets of fighters. The battle over Area 51 was pretty much the last of the US' air force. So they would then have to take out another like... four ships that are over the US. And they can't kill the mother ship without hitting it as it fires its main weapon. So the aliens should just be like "let's turtle up and let our fighters handle this".

Maybe if they had nuked them all it would make more sense?

Shorty

Banned
X-Men the Animated Series.

First episode: one Sentinel nearly overpowers the entire team.
Mid-series episode: Jubilee can one-shot them, and Wolverine goes through them like Kado's wife goes through club dancers.

1Fatboy_reacts.gif

but does he let it lingers

Petrichor

Doctor Who - The Stolen Earth / Journey's End

doctor-who-dalek-da_685173c.jpg

The largest dalek fleet ever amassed has conquered entire planets and is about to destroy all of reality (don't ask me why)

....but they forgot to get rid of the control panel IN THEIR OWN PRISON that has a "kill all daleks" button on it.

That is literally how this story is resolved.

Oh russell, why did you even try.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
too be fair, a lot of those voyager examples are reasonable in context. the cubes are being destroyed by super aliens, space events and tehnology from the future. whereas in TnG, the borg just beat up on the crippled child that is the federation.

Al-ibn Kermit

they didn't nerf the borg, they buffed Voyager...

That's how I remember it. Lots of improvements made to Voyager over time and I'm guessing Seven of Nine gave them some valuable intel, I don't really remember that episode. I mean they figured out a way to make a holographic doctor that can have sex, they probably did something really resourceful.

Come to think of it, Species 8472 sure had their attitude, at least, severely nerfed. They were creatures of pure malevolence, and then, in the space of a single episode, they were pretty nice guys all of a sudden.

I think it's more difficult to find examples of the opposite where the villains get buffed as time goes on. Like in Neon Genesis Evangelion, the angels only get stronger and the home base keeps getting closer and closer to being obliterated all the while barely getting any new tools to work with (while most anime the main characters tend to upgrade frequently to counter threats). It pretty much takes a miracle and the use of a one-use-only weapon for them to survive every encounter.

I just can't put it into words. Star Trek's The Borg as originally presented:

mXC0m.gif

The Borg Cube. It was an apocalyptic threat the likes of which the Star Trek universe had never seen. Their fearsome, monolithic vessel could travel across the galaxy devouring the life off all planets in its path. Its unstoppable drones would adapt to all attacks, and force you to endure a mutilating technorape of horrors as they stole from you your flesh and soul. One ship decimated the fleets of the Federation, made its greatest Captain betray his people, massacred tens of thousands and was only defeated in the final hour through the dumbest of dumb luck.

Star Trek: Voyager's take on the most powerful enemy of humanity:

postnerfedborg6-1.gif

For fucks sake.

Question:

Has enemy enemy been more nerfed than The Borg? Examples please.

It's not that the borg became weaker, it is because the federation had exposure to them over the years and the tech advancements happened very quickly in the ST universe thanks to meeting new species and the sharing of information.

But sidestepping the fact of the difference in tech between the two ships. The crew of the voyager had an alliance with the borg, they had a former borg as a crew member, the built a lab using borg tech. So not only do they have better weapon, the sheer experience and hands on they had with the borg makes the scenarios two different beasts.

any of these count:

1. Aliens from Independence Day
2. Aliens from War Of The Worlds

You do realize these are the same exact stories. ID4 is a retelling of the War of the Worlds.

FStop7

Banned
Not a villain but Neo in the Matrix series.

At the end of the first movie he was a walking god. Nothing could touch him because he controlled the world at the lowest level. He stopped bullets, plucked them out of the air, and killed the most powerful of the agents by exploding him from within. Effortlessly. The world around him literally bent when he flexed.

The next movie he could spar very well and fly but all of those incredible powers were inexplicably gone.

And no, don't fucking say "it was explained in this Matrix Reloaded prequel comic" or some shit.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Fuck Voyager. That shit never happened.

i can't think of any examples though. Maybe the Empire's Storm Troopers. They wiped the galaxy clean of Jedi, and afterwards could no longer shoot straight at anything standing still.

The Storm Troopers seen in the OT are not the Clone Troopers seen in the PT. They are just random grunts from across the galaxy who have enlisted with the empire. The Clone Troopers were decomissioned by Palpatine a few years after the Clone Wars. And they would have been in their 60s by the time of the PT, as they aged twice as fast as normal humans (in other words, they would have aged over 40 years since the clone wars, where they were already adults)

jaxword

Not a villain but Neo in the Matrix series.

At the end of the first movie he was a walking god. Nothing could touch him because he controlled the world at the lowest level. He stopped bullets, plucked them out of the air, and killed the most powerful of the agents by exploding him from within. Effortlessly. The world around him literally bent when he flexed.

The next movie he could spar very well and fly but all of those incredible powers were inexplicably gone.

And no, don't fucking say "it was explained in this Matrix Reloaded prequel comic" or some shit.

I'm in the camp that Neo was OVERpowered in the sequels and that removed any potential for drama.

They explain why he can't effortlessly kill agents anymore in the opening fight, though: "Upgrades."

But that just means it takes an extra 30 seconds to beat them by hand.

FillerB

My first response would be the Daleks from Doctor Who but they aren't so much nerfed as they are the prime example of the "Conservation of Ninjutsu"-trope. 10 Bazillion Daleks in control of a device to bring an end to the "FABRIC! OF! REALITY! ITSELF!"? No problem, just reserve polarity of the neutron flow or some other technobabble. 5 Daleks? Let me flex my muscles and give me a cup of tea. 1 Dalek? RUN, RUN, RUN.

Ubervamps in Buffy S7!

The 1st we meet nearly kills Buffy and proves to be nearly impossible for Buffy to stake. Cut to the finale Ubervamps are been killed left, right and centre by the wannabe slayers and ordinary humans.

IIRC Whedon said this was more or less done on purpose to make the final battle more fair or something.

I'm in the camp that Neo was OVERpowered in the sequels and that removed any potential for drama.

They explain why he can't effortlessly kill agents anymore in the opening fight, though: "Upgrades."

But that just means it takes an extra 30 seconds to beat them by hand.

Nah, this is definitely bullshit. The nerfed Neo good and proper. At the end of the Matrix he could 'reshape the Matrix as he saw fit'.

He understood that none of the blows were actually real. There was no reason whatsoever he would ever have to fight somebody again, because the punches and kicks are just code that he can see with no real force behind them.

No longer could he dive into people and literally rip their code apart.

They nerfed him for the sake of having sequels.

LulaBrasi

Does Mars Attacks count? The aliens are pretty damn superior through the whole movie... Until, by extreme luck, some dude discovers that his old grandmothers record can help destroy them. I don't know if that qualifies as "nerfed" though :D

Nah, this is definitely bullshit. The nerfed Neo good and proper. At the end of the Matrix he could 'reshape the Matrix as he saw fit'.

He understood that none of the blows were actually real. There was no reason whatsoever he would ever have to fight somebody again, because the punches and kicks are just code that he can see with no real force behind them.

No longer could he dive into people and literally rip their code apart.

They nerfed him for the sake of having sequels.

I was like 13 or something when Matrix 2 came out, and even I was shocked by the bullshit nerfing that Neo got in those films. They have a single throwaway line on the topic right at the start during a fight vs some agents - Neo says "... upgrades".

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Can't think of one yet other than the Borg. Star Trek tends to do this with other things as well such as ships getting one shotted left and right in the later parts of the Dominion War but nothing to the level of the Voyagers Borg.

EDIT: To continue the Voyager parade, don't forget what they did with the Q.

Feels weird now going back to watch the films seeing them get shot at while they seem to be casually speaking quite a bit of dialogue to each other during a gunfight.

jaxword

I was like 13 or something when Matrix 2 came out, and even I was shocked by the bullshit nerfing that Neo got in those films. They have a single throwaway line on the topic right at the start during a fight vs some agents - Neo says "... upgrades".

That's bizarre, I literally just said that...

Big-E

Don't understand the people mentioning the Fett's. Boba Fett never showed anything of worth in the entire series. His crowning achievement was waiting in garbage.

Big-E

I still don't get why he had to die in Episode 1. Why didn't they use him as the 'new Darth Vader' in the prequels. Everyone that came after him was shit anyway.

The fact that he didn't have to open his mouth is why he wasn't shit. As soon as any character opens their mouth, they become shit in the prequels because of Lucas' shitty writing. Darth Maul appearing in the other movies would have probably meant he had to say something.

So, I guess you could argue that's technically a nerf, but the audio play makes a strong point of saying that the tiniest creatures on earth succeeded in stopping the invasion where Man, the mightiest creature on Earth, could not. Somehow the fact that the irony is pointed out defeats the idea of a nerf, at least as far as I'm concerned.

not just that, but it is explicit that the aliens have eradicated all forms of germ life on their planet before coming here which is why they have no resistance, so the downfall is in fact their own fault.

jaxword

You guys have to go DEEPER into history:

Satan, The Devil, the corrupter of humanity, destroyer of souls, challenger of GOD:

svcE2.jpg

n6dnd.jpg

An unstoppable demonic force that instills fear and crushes the human spirit.

And now:

BSg8G.jpg

f93zP.jpg

KDTd6.jpg

A joke for cartoons, sexy halloween costumes, hipsters and body mod freaks.

Being Nerfed is one thing. Becoming a total joke is worse.

Suairyu

Banned
Your average snake/horus warrior in the Stargate Universe. When from all-power mystic super-soldier to chump very quickly.

But that was typical of the SG writing team in general. Even the replicators seemed less of a threat as time went on.

I actually loved species 8472. The Borg were virtually unstoppable and yet this race was even more powerful only because they were resistance to the technology.
Having species 8472 show up out of nowhere and dominate the Borg was fine. Powerful design, even. That opening shot where the two cubes get mauled and you don't see who did it was fucking fantastic.

It was then the USS Voyager dicking on the Borg with ease as well that was the problem.

JGS

Banned
The Green Lantern villain was pretty bad. He went from being powerful enough to kill several experienced Green Lanterns in a couple of minutes (Who ambushed him no less) and was one little planet away from destroying Green Lantern Planet to one newbie Green Lantern holding his own against him &
flying too close to the sun and burning up.

Don't understand the people mentioning the Fett's. Boba Fett never showed anything of worth in the entire series. His crowning achievement was waiting in garbage.

And then phoned Darth Vader to come meet him at Bespin. With a load of storm troopers. And then ran away before the shit hit the fan.

But he had a cool helmet so....

Slayven

The Green Lantern villain was pretty bad. He went from being powerful enough to kill several experienced Green Lanterns in a couple of minutes (Who ambushed him no less) and was one little planet away from destroying Green Lantern Planet to one newbie Green Lantern holding his own against him &
flying too close to the sun and burning up.

Yeah the Guardians couldn't do shit to him, and he gets bitched out by Hector Hammond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom