• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has any bad guy in history been nerfed to this level? (warning: GIFs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know the Borg were super powerfull and all but Species 8472 were the only ones who kicked their ass and would of actually beaten them completely if Voyager didnt interfere.

Gou'ld in the SG series, these guys became straight clown college.

They became less menacing over time, but this was the result of their own civil wars, invasions from other bad guys (replicators) and the strengthening position of the humans (specifically after they start getting asgard tech starships). Even then, you had dudes like Anubis and Ba'al who were huge threats in their own rights for the latter seasons. Ba'al was so fun to watch because he was the antitheses of all the other Goa'uld. He was more lighthearted, he didn't buy his own bs about being a god, and so on.

I would say the Wraith from SGA were a better example, because by season 2 they had been reduced from "Needs a whole magazine to take a single wraith out" to "takes 1-2 handgun bullet to down them". As the series goes on, it becomes rarer and rarer for the wraith to be damage resilient.

Phoenix

Doctor Who - The Stolen Earth / Journey's End

doctor-who-dalek-da_685173c.jpg

The largest dalek fleet ever amassed has conquered entire planets and is about to destroy all of reality (don't ask me why)

....but they forgot to get rid of the control panel IN THEIR OWN PRISON that has a "kill all daleks" button on it.

That is literally how this story is resolved.

Oh russell, why did you even try.

Yeah. I believe that was the last episode I watched.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
To be fair to Voyager, the episode with them blowing up the Borg with two torpedoes is from the last episode, where Future Janeway comes back with technology from decades in the future.

So basically cheat codes were enabled.

Zzoram

The Borg had the technology to travel the universe in a second because they could exceed warp 10. So why didnt they just do a suprise attack on earth and be done with it.

I remember in Voyager they invade some planet with 100 ships. Then the Queen says "why can't we beat Earth?". The first thing I thought was, the biggest invasion they've ever done of the entire Federation was with 3 ships. If they sent 100 ships they would've easily won. The Queen is stupid.

hwalker84

The Borg had the technology to travel the universe in a second because they could exceed warp 10. So why didnt they just do a suprise attack on earth and be done with it.

Because we'd just find some super weapon on Mars work with the Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians, and Vulcans on building it. While Picard and the Enterprise are off to find the Catalyst.

FillerB

I would say the Wraith from SGA were a better example, because by season 2 they had been reduced from "Needs a whole magazine to take a single wraith out" to "takes 1-2 handgun bullet to down them". As the series goes on, it becomes rarer and rarer for the wraith to be damage resilient.

If I recall correctly it was mentioned in an episode that their decreasing damage resilience was because of a lack of food (read human "souls" to suck). Since their restorative abilities and overall strength drastically increases just after they had fed and they were in an open civil war during season 3 over the remaining human population....

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Don't understand the people mentioning the Fett's. Boba Fett never showed anything of worth in the entire series. His crowning achievement was waiting in garbage.

Boba Fett is the most confusingly popular character in SW for me. He's a bit part that has a nice helmet and a rocket pack, but isn't in it enough to develop any actual character, but he's loved for some reason.

fucking Jango Fett. Killim dad!

If I recall correctly it was mentioned in an episode that their decreasing damage resilience was because of a lack of food (read human "souls" to suck). Since their restorative abilities and overall strength drastically increases just after they had fed and they were in an open civil war during season 3 over the remaining human population....

The menace-decline happened long before the civil war and sudden human shortages, from memory. The same thing happened with Jaffa warriors in SG-1, only then I think the handwave was "something something special ammunition".

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Doctor Who - The Stolen Earth / Journey's End

doctor-who-dalek-da_685173c.jpg

The largest dalek fleet ever amassed has conquered entire planets and is about to destroy all of reality (don't ask me why)

....but they forgot to get rid of the control panel IN THEIR OWN PRISON that has a "kill all daleks" button on it.

That is literally how this story is resolved.

Oh russell, why did you even try.

watching this episode tonight with my kids. Looking forward to whether they pick it to pieces like you just did. The entire episode before that is build up

The Borg were pumped up to ridiculous power levels, so much so that they were a huge plot hole in how much they failed to achieve anything against the Federation. Voyager then just seemed to rape them over and over again to the point that they no longer seemed to be any threat. Voyager and even First Contact pretty much just made the Borg weaknesses even greater, in turn making the whole Borg seem.... stupid? How the Borg achieved all their great power with their huge gaping weaknesses that would be so easy to exploit just really killed everything that made them originally interesting. Also the whole Borg Queen was such a bad idea.

Course also as I said in the beginning, the Borg power levels seemed ridiculous at first and with the power they showed at the start, everything after should have been the borg rolling over the Federation

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
the pussification of the borg started before voyager, no? with first contact's 'AIM AT THIS BIT OF THE CUBE AND IT EXPLODES LOL'.

Galactus_(Earth-616)_008.jpg

Much like the Borg, Galactus was introduced as this BIG FUCKING DEAL. An crazy amount of issues building up to his arrival, the eater of planets, the big mofo himself, holy fuck how do we deal with this guy!?

Nowadays, he gets jobbed out 2-3 times a year, even by new characters we don't even know. People take down Galactus for a laugh.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo91/mappster74/postnerfedborg6-1.gif[/IMG]

For fucks sake.

Question:

Has enemy enemy been more nerfed than The Borg? Examples please.

I won't say they didn't nerf the Borg, but it's not like Voyager didn't have a lot of help in those situations. They had seven, and some of those clips are from the finale where they used future tech and batmobile shields..

the pussification of the borg started before voyager, no? with first contact's 'AIM AT THIS BIT OF THE CUBE AND IT EXPLODES LOL'.

Yup, First Contact started it really. Borg travel back in time and their grand plan was to sit and wait to blow up the first human warp ship? They could have just sent a borg down to the planet to kill Cochran, sabotage the ship, or even just started to assimilate the planet. Instead they take their sweet time with a silly plan..... nor do the borg even consider.... trying again? They send back in time one ship to do this one event, why they don't try it with the rest of their fleet or go back to other times in earth's past to fuck up the Fed's creation?

I won't say they didn't nerf the Borg, but it's not like Voyager didn't have a lot of help in those situations. They had seven, and some of those clips are from the finale where they used future tech and batmobile shields..

Which involve paradoxes in how they got the tech in the first place.

Slayven

Galactus_(Earth-616)_008.jpg

Much like the Borg, Galactus was introduced as this BIG FUCKING DEAL. An crazy amount of issues building up to his arrival, the eater of planets, the big mofo himself, holy fuck how do we deal with this guy!?

Nowadays, he gets jobbed out 2-3 times a year, even by new characters we don't even know. People take down Galactus for a laugh.

599646-darkseid_stairs1_super.jpg

599647-darkseid_stairs2_super.jpg

Drazgul

Fuck whoever's responsible for dropping the ball so badly on the Star Trek franchise. TNG was brilliant and DS9 even slightly better than that and then bam, Voyager. Ok, still watchable I suppose but not even close to the earlier series. Then Enterprise which is meh too (tho it's reputation is a bit worse than is warranted imo). And now they're doing the dumb reboot movies instead of a new series? FFFFFFFUUU--

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Fuck whoever's responsible for dropping the ball so badly on the Star Trek franchise. TNG was brilliant and DS9 even slightly better than that and then bam, Voyager. Ok, still watchable I suppose but not even close to the earlier series. Then Enterprise which is meh too (tho it's reputation is a bit worse than is warranted imo). And now they're doing the dumb reboot movies instead of a new series? FFFFFFFUUU--

Voyager and Enterprise were the result of the people who took over when Rodenberry died. They were very committed to Voyager and the people in charge of DS9 were allowed to do pretty much whatever they wanted with minimal input and interference from Berman. That being said, Berman did do a few very good things with DS9, such as axing ideas for a "it was all a dream" ending.

CiSTM

Banned

I wonder what type of show new ST series would be. I really don't know if the current scifi crowd would enjoy TV-PG Star Trek. I'm some what sure there will be new ST show eventually but I don't see it being any good.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Ferengi in Star Trek.
Nerfed so much that they stopped being bad and became comical.

And then phoned Darth Vader to come meet him at Bespin. With a load of storm troopers. And then ran away before the shit hit the fan.

But he had a cool helmet so....

Fett was after Han Solo, that was his bounty, he just had to turn in the others to the empire which he did. He got Solo and left to claim his next paycheck

Stet

Banned
Scullibundo's gonna have my head, but the Xenomorphs started as a one-entity killing machine that lurked in the shadows and stalked relentlessly, killing one by one until everyone was dead and ended up as cannon fodder for automated guns that were completely wiped out by one person.

Nah, this is definitely bullshit. The nerfed Neo good and proper. At the end of the Matrix he could 'reshape the Matrix as he saw fit'.

He understood that none of the blows were actually real. There was no reason whatsoever he would ever have to fight somebody again, because the punches and kicks are just code that he can see with no real force behind them.

No longer could he dive into people and literally rip their code apart.

They nerfed him for the sake of having sequels.

YES. That annoyed the crap out of me. Neo should've been able to blink and destroy an agent.

There's only one Matrix movie in my mind.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Scullibundo's gonna have my head, but the Xenomorphs started as a one-entity killing machine that lurked in the shadows and stalked relentlessly, killing one by one until everyone was dead and ended up as cannon fodder for automated guns that were completely wiped out by one person.

I was thinking of this, too.

Not a villain but Neo in the Matrix series.

At the end of the first movie he was a walking god. Nothing could touch him because he controlled the world at the lowest level. He stopped bullets, plucked them out of the air, and killed the most powerful of the agents by exploding him from within. Effortlessly. The world around him literally bent when he flexed.

The next movie he could spar very well and fly but all of those incredible powers were inexplicably gone.

And no, don't fucking say "it was explained in this Matrix Reloaded prequel comic" or some shit.
True, and the agents seemed to get taken down a notch for the other characters in the sequels as well. In the first film, an encounter with an agent was a big "Oh shit" moment, but in the sequels I remember Morpheus, Trinity and the like being able to hang.

the chris

That's what I was gonna say. Dude was SCARY even as an adult and then they made him Jewish and a joke villain.

I heard that the network got complaints from parents that he was "too scary" and toned him down a bit. Isn't the whole point of a villain to be scary?

You had one alien hunting unsuspecting unarmed civilian workers.

The sequel they knew they were after something, had some intel, armed trained marines, and technology. Even then the first encounter with the xenomorphs nearly wiped out the Marines.

Stet

Banned
You had one alien hunting unsuspecting unarmed civilian workers.

The sequel they knew they were after something, had some intel, armed trained marines, and technology. Even then the first encounter with the xenomorphs nearly wiped out the Marines.

Right. And then the same space trucker from the first movie that was so afraid that she had nightmares was able to do what a group of marines wasn't. Wow, the power of a mother's love!

I heard that the network got complaints from parents that he was "too scary" and toned him down a bit. Isn't the whole point of a villain to be scary?

That's true, and yeah! I remember getting nightmares when he premiered on the show!!! It was awesome! Power Rangers got really botched over the years for all sorts of political correctness crap through the 90s.

For example, after season 1, they weren't allowed to use the word "fight" in the songs anymore...during fight scenes.

Right. And then the same space trucker from the first movie that was so afraid that she had nightmares was able to do what a group of marines wasn't. Wow, the power of a mother's love!

Seeing that it was the marine sacrifices and deaths that pretty much kept her alive to that point... she didn't do any of it on her own, without Bishop also she would have not done much.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
im going to say all the transformers in the movies, originally humans are at best an afterthought because you know...the transformers themselves are millions of years old and millions of years ahead of us techwise...then all of a sudden 50.cal rounds are actually hurting them??? what i know it was probably budget but ...wtf they are literally lightyears ahead of us. It doesnt make sense that they can smash thru an aircraft carrier like tin foil then get shot up by machine guns and tanks....after they fall to the earth from orbit and get up like oh that was nothing...awww shit bullets RETREAT.

Stet

Banned
Seeing that it was the marine sacrifices and deaths that pretty much kept her alive to that point... she didn't do any of it on her own, without Bishop also she would have not done much.

She infiltrated their nest and rescued a kid alone and armed with a flamethrower. Which, incidentally, was the weapon they actually had on the Nostromo.

Does Mars Attacks count? The aliens are pretty damn superior through the whole movie... Until, by extreme luck, some dude discovers that his old grandmothers record can help destroy them. I don't know if that qualifies as "nerfed" though :D

Um, you realize what this ending is a parody of right?

Suairyu

Banned
You'll also notice that the acid blood - powerful enough to eat through several layers of ship Hull in seconds - became more of a lesser hazard in Aliens. Get acid sprayed on your armour? No worries, you have time to remove it safely.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Melkor from Tolkien's legendarium.

Second most powerful being in existence behind god himself. Reduced to a mere Darklord. A Darklord challenged by a mere elf who gave Melkor a run for his money in single combat.

She infiltrated their nest and rescued a kid alone and armed with a flamethrower. Which, incidentally, was the weapon they actually had on the Nostromo.

And grenades, and pulse rifle, and tons of ammo..... also it was luck that it was the nest and lightly guarded outside of the queen guards

You'll also notice that the acid blood - powerful enough to eat through several layers of ship Hull in seconds - became more of a lesser hazard in Aliens. Get acid sprayed on your armour? No worries, you have time to remove it safely.

It took time for the acid to eat through the floor plates, it didn't go all the way through the entire ship and it's hull either. Maybe Marine armor is made of unobtainium?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom