• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Janeway Is Still A Dick

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Rather than bump my thread from last year about the Dickery of Captain Janeway I just made a new thread.

In an interview with scifinow where she talked about her role in the upcoming Dragon Age Origins game, she was asked about the new movie.

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/interview-kate-mulgrew/

Have you seen the new Star Trek film?

I haven’t, I imagine that I’m going to be asked that all the time! I haven’t, but not for any bad reason; it’s a reason of comfort. I did Star Trek myself, and I want to enjoy it when I see it, I want to be comfortable when I see it, so I’m going to wait until I can see it in my living room. I understand that both of those young men [Pine and Quinto] are extraordinary. I’m sure it’s beautifully done. I just want to see it in the comfort of my home.

Would you ever consider a return to the character of Janeway?

I would, I’d love to return to Janeway! I’d love to do her in a movie, it would be great.

So if JJ Abrams came along and offered…?

I’d love to do it! I think he’d be wise to do it, don’t you? He should get Picard and myself in there. I think that’s a brilliant idea.

Her and Picard? No Sisko? Sisko already got the Shaft in Nemesis as the only captain they didn't make some reference to (even archer got a nod).

Captain Janeways is still a dick.

Benjamin Sisko was destined for other things, let the man be. You know I don't even remember him as being a Commander-type figure. In fact he was probably the most human in his own vulnerable and unextraordinary way. A female lead role for a Star Trek movie would be welcome though in my opinion. I always did enjoy Janeway.

By the way, whatever did happen to Wesley 'Neo' Crusher?

zaccheus

Banned
I don't know why people liked Sisko so much, a lot of it felt really overacted, and while i appreciate the message behind episodes about black oppression they still felt really out of place.

I think if Janeway was given a better show, she would've been appreciated way more; I think Kate mulgrew did an excellent job. It's a pity that voyager was so bad.

Gary Whitta said:
Makes sense, Sisko is the only major Trek captain to not appear in one of the movies. Because he's shit.

vreenak.jpg

This episode says otherwise. His soliloquy at the end was powerful.

Medalion

Banned
Voyager fell back on the Borg almost every other episode, it was just sickening. Not just because they were in the Delta Quadrant and they happened to be there... they lacked interesting new species and enemies worth a number of story arcs.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Medalion said:
He became a Prophet.
Maybe it's just been a while, but I recall he jumped into a lava pit.

And as far as TV goes, "Ascended to be with the Prophets" is the same euphemism as "He's with God now," i.e. killed off.

Medalion

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
Maybe it's just been a while, but I recall he jumped into a lava pit.

And as far as TV goes, "Ascended to be with the Prophets" is the same euphemism as "He's with God now," i.e. killed off.

He grappled with Dukat who was possessed by Kosst Amojen, basically the bajoran equivalent of the devil and they fell into the Fire of the Fire Caves and Pah-wraiths, and his coporeal body was destroyed but his essence... became one with the Celestial Temple and the Prophets. He even appears before Cassidy in a vision and talks to her.

taylor910 said:
Missed the part of the interview where she was being a dick...

She dared to not mention Sisko, despite the fact that any Trek movie starring Janeway & Picard would be set after Sisko became a non-corporeal being. What a dick.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Medalion said:
He grappled with Dukat who was possessed by Kosst Amojen, basically the bajoran equivalent of the devil and they fell into the Fire of the Fire Caves and Pah-wraiths, and his coporeal body was destroyed but his essence... became one with the Celestial Temple and the Prophets. He even appears before Cassidy in a vision and talks to her.
So he's dead.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Gary Whitta said:
Makes sense, Sisko is the only major Trek captain to not appear in one of the movies. Because he's shit.

*refrains from 20k word essay about how utterly wrong this statement is*

Cheebs

Meus Renaissance said:
A female lead role for a Star Trek movie would be welcome though in my opinion.

Did you forget about her? She was only behind Kirk and Spock in screentime, easily a lead role:
Zoe-Saldana-20090415023548.jpg

joshcryer said:
*refrains from 20k word essay about how utterly wrong this statement is*
Pike was in a Star Trek Movie
Kirk was in a Star Trek Movie
Picard was in a Star Trek Movie
Janeway was in a Star Trek Movie
Archer kind of was, Scotty brought him up I guess. So Garry Whitta isn't exactly wrong.

Medalion said:

dead is dead.

joshcryer

Cheebs said:
Archer kind of was, Scotty brought him up I guess. So Garry Whitta isn't exactly wrong.

But not because Sisko is shit, it is more likely that no Star Trek movie is good enough to witness his presence, even if in mention.

edit:

evil solrac v3.0 said:
dead is dead.

He said he'd be back, today, tomorrow, or yesterday.

Gary Whitta said:
Oh Gary... I don't even know you but I'm going to hazard a guess and say that is the most wrong thing you have or will ever say.

Cheebs

DrForester said:
DS9 was pretty popular. Nowhere near as much as TNG but it had solid ratings it's entire run.
It was less popular than Voyager ratings wise.

TOS's ratings weren't good initially but as a "series" it's easily the most popular. It goes ratings/popularity/etc wise:

1. TOS
2. TNG

*huuuuuge gap*

3. Voyager
4. DS9
5. Enterprise

Medalion

Banned
I do believe Avery Brooks has mentioned before he didn't really like being on the show. So I doubt he'd return even if a DS9 movie or a cameo were called for.

Medalion said:
Sisko is dead, the Prophet Sisko is still kickin it in the Celestial Temple.
I don't think he's dead, he said he was in the celestial temple learning from them but will return at some point. I think in the books he returns briefly to witness his 2nd child's birth.

Cheebs

Anyway I hope no one actually wants more cameo's anyway. Nimoy was a one time thing that worked in that context. Star Trek canon has been wiped clean and given a fresh start, lets let it grow and find its own way now that it has established itself as a gigantic success.

I dont want Sisko to come back, anyways. Show got a perfect closure and now it rests forever in the hall of fame among the best sci-fi shows of all times. THE best, for me. Fuck the haters.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Cheebs said:

I was more referencing that every captain was nodded to in Star Trek Nemesis except Sisko.

Picard was in it
Janeway was in it
They perform the Kirk maneuver
There was a USS Archer

joshcryer

Medalion said:
I do believe Avery Brooks has mentioned before he didn't really like being on the show. So I doubt he'd return even if a DS9 movie or a cameo were called for.

Cite for that? He was the only cast member to be in every episode of DS9, and he attends Trek conventions. I think the real thing preventing him from signing on is an absurd plot or script. Plus as far as movies are concerned we're into Trek 2.0, so it wouldn't happen anyway.

Medalion

Banned
Being mentioned in a Star Trek movie isn't exactly the biggest honor... for the most part of the new Star Trek movies, First Contact was the only good one of the TNG era and at least it did have the USS Defiant in it.

Sisko decked Q. Sisko won wars in two universes. Sisko saved Captain Kirk. Sisko found magic ancient temples of his day off. Sisko became an immortal space-god.

He was too busy to be in those little movies.

Medalion said:

I'd be quite curious to see a source for this too, as its the first I've heard of it.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
If JJ won't put Shatner in a new movie, why the hell would he even consider Sisko or Janeway, let alone Picard?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Anasui Kishibe said:
I dont want Sisko to come back, anyways. Show got a perfect closure and now it rests forever in the hall of fame among the best sci-fi shows of all times. THE best, for me. Fuck the haters.

I... gotta agree with that. Yup. Everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom