• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Janeway Is Still A Dick

Status
Not open for further replies.
eh about decking Q...I always saw that scene as one of those obligatory early season "winning the fans" scenes. A bit ridiculous, also. Sisko did much more amazing things without resorting to such cheapo marketing, as you rightly mentioned

Meus Renaissance said:
vreenak.jpg

This episode says otherwise. His soliloquy at the end was powerful.

Man, that episode was awesome. Sisko trying to damn parts of his soul for the greater good and rationalizing it.

"At oh-eight-hundred hours, station time... the Romulan Empire formally declared war against the Dominion. They've already struck fifteen bases along the Cardassian border. So, this is a huge victory for the good guys! It may just be the turning point of the entire war! There's even a "Welcome to the Fight" party tonight in the wardroom!...

So... I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover up the crimes of other men. I was an accessory to murder. But most damning of all... I think I can live with it... And if I had to do it all over again... I would. Garak was right about one thing – a guilty conscience is a small price to pay for the safety of the Alpha Quadrant. So I'll learn to live with it...Because I can live with it...I can live with it. Computer – erase that entire personal log."

Cheebs

Mama Robotnik said:
I'd be quite curious to see a source for this too, as its the first I've heard of it.
Does it matter really? It's not like he'd ever appear in the semi-rebooted Trek nor was DS9 popular enough to ever get a movie.

Remember the crew was worried that DS9 was going to get cancelled after the 6th season.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Mama Robotnik said:
I'd be quite curious to see a source for this too, as its the first I've heard of it.

Same. I've heard he's not a very big fan of the fandom, or conventions (which is why he does so few) but I've never heard him speak badly of being on the show.

Medalion

Banned
I coulda sworn I saw in an official interview for one of the DS9 dvd season sets, Avery Brooks either said it himself or someone said of Avery he didn't really want to be sisko or something... i should go back and rewatch those again.

Cheebs said:
Does it matter really? It's not like he'd ever appear in the semi-rebooted Trek nor was DS9 popular enough to ever get a movie.

Remember the crew was worried that DS9 was going to get cancelled after the 6th season.

Well, it matters in that I'd like to know if its true or not. I like DS9, its my favourite Star Trek show, and I'd like to believe all of the cast and crew were proud of it. If they weren't, well I'd be curious as to their reasons why. The infamously-unhappy cast members of Voyager and Enterprise had valid reasons to be, but can't imagine many for DS9.

Don't care about an appearance in reboot-Trek, its setting its own continuity and I'm happy to see where it goes.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Medalion said:
I coulda sworn I saw in an official interview for one of the DS9 dvd season sets, Avery Brooks either said it himself or someone said of Avery he didn't really want to be sisko or something... i should go back and rewatch those again.

Ah, you've probably confused the story with how he got cast in the role. He was never really enthusiastic about it until he read the script.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Benjamin_Sisko

When Avery Brooks' agent first rang him to tell him that there was role going in a new Star Trek show, Brooks laughed because he instinctively felt he was going to be offered a role requiring heavy prosthetics, which he wasn't interested in doing. After finding out the role was that of a Human, Brooks was still unconvinced, and of his pursuit of the role he said "This will never work." Indeed, on his way to the audition, the transmission in his car began to slip, so he called the producers and nonchalantly told them he couldn't make it, and was surprised when they rearranged his audition. It was ultimately the quality of the script for "Emissary" which convinced Brooks of the value of the show.

Zabka

Janeway's voice cuts through my brain like an electrified cheese slicer. Couldn't sit through 10 minutes of the pilot without turning it off.

MC Safety

Angry Grimace said:
So he's dead.

Sisko is like Star Trek's Boba Fett.

Tell any Star Wars fan Boba Fett is dead and they'll get all indignant and wail "but he came back in one of the extended universe novels!"

The fact is Boba Fett was killed by a blind guy with a stick. And his last act before slowly being digested was flailing his arms and screaming little a little girl as he went down into the pit.

Shouta

I was wondering why I heard Janeway in my my Dragon Age trailer. I guess it ain't so bad. Her voice is awesome.

JayDubya

Banned
MC Safety said:

Tell any Star Wars fan Boba Fett is dead and they'll get all indignant and wail "but he came back in one of the extended universe novels!"

The fact is Boba Fett was killed by a blind guy with a stick. And his last act before slowly being digested was flailing his arms and screaming little a little girl as he went down into the pit.

a) Boba Fett did not die in RotJ.

b) Sisko did die, but a more analogous Star Wars death would be Obi-Wan's.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Sisko comes back in the post ds9 series novels. But thankfully he doesn't just go back to normal, he is mostly a minor character, and there is a sense that he is being allowed to stay only temporarily before having to return to the celestial temple.

And I will choke a fool till his eyes bleed in defense of DS9, don't test me.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Sigh @ this thread. First we have posts like this.

there are people that actually like DS9?

Now we have posts like this one below.

ZephyrFate said:
Janeway is my favorite Star Trek captain behind Picard. She's awesome. Voyager rocked.

:lol :(

MC Safety said:

ye but Sisko didn't die. He's alive up there

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
_leech_ said:
What? When was this?
In the new movie he mentioned something about the Admiral's beagle.

It's probably not the same one from the TV series I'd imagine.

Zabka said:
Janeway's voice cuts through my brain like an electrified cheese slicer. Couldn't sit through 10 minutes of the pilot without turning it off.

Her nasal voice was the worst. Every time she said "Fire phasers" I would cringe.

Kunan

Windu said:
I don't see how she is being a dick in that interview.
She's not. This is just the DS9 vs Rest of Star Trek Fight Round 271. Should've seen the thread with Dax vs the world

ZephyrFate said:
I *gasp* have an opinion that not everyone shares? Shocker. No, I'm speaking what I feel.
I liked Voyager too. Either way, it has been proven again and again that GAF's opinions really aren't representative of the greater population's.

XiaNaphryz said:
If JJ won't put Shatner in a new movie, why the hell would he even consider Sisko or Janeway, let alone Picard?
They would be willing to have the smaller parts, whereas Shatner did not. He tried but Shatner wouldn't agree without being a major character in the movie.

XiaNaphryz said:
If JJ won't put Shatner in a new movie, why the hell would he even consider Sisko or Janeway, let alone Picard?

They offered him a cameo, but he turned it down, because it wasn't large enough for The Shatner.

It's a shame too, the way the scene was described would have been the perfect finishing touch for the film.

Cheebs

Pudding Tame said:
They offered him a cameo, but he turned it down, because it wasn't large enough for The Shatner.

It's a shame too, the way the scene was described would have been the perfect finishing touch for the film.
Yeah. It was going to be a short little video clip that Spock had saved of Kirk wishing him a happy birthday and played it to himself when Kirk (Chris Pine's Kirk) was being promoted to Captain at the end and during the scene you'd hear Shatner's little monologue from the message playing in the background during the ceremony.

Cheebs said:
Yeah. It was going to be a short little video clip that Spock had saved of Kirk wishing him a happy birthday and played it to himself when Kirk (Chris Pine's Kirk) was being promoted to Captain at the end and during the scene you'd hear Shatner's little monologue from the message playing in the background during the ceremony.

Yeah, it was essentially Kirk's goodbye to Spock who was leaving for Romulus, knowing he'd more than likely never see him again.

Zen

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
Makes sense, Sisko is the only major Trek captain to not appear in one of the movies. Because he's shit.

Red Alert; set condition one throughout the ship, all hands to battlestations, I repeat, all hands to battlestations. This is not a drill.

No you.

One of the most painful moments of Star Trek for me is Captain Picard taking orders from Admiral Janeway in Nemesis. How is he still Captain? Why is the distinguished, sophisticated, traveller of the stars taking orders from someone who left the delta quadrant in a worse state that she found it?!?! I mean, that scene alone should've prepared me for the 95 minutes of Trek Rape that followed.

DS9 reunion would be awesome, but they scattered the crew across the galaxy, it'd have to be some inventive writing to get them back together. Perhaps it was done on purpose, so no punk upstart writer will try to mess with its legacy in years to come.

sionyboy said:
One of the most painful moments of Star Trek for me is Captain Picard taking orders from Admiral Janeway in Nemesis. How is he still Captain? Why is the distinguished, sophisticated, traveller of the stars taking orders from someone who left the delta quadrant in a worse state that she found it?!?!
Well, there is the possibility he just preferred to stay as Captain, like how for so long Riker preferred to remain first officer of the Enterprise rather than getting his own command. I think Generations helps sell this point, because they flatout had Kirk advise Picard to not let them promote him out of the captain's chair, where he could make a real difference.

Cheebs

Pudding Tame said:
Yeah, it was essentially Kirk's goodbye to Spock who was leaving for Romulus, knowing he'd more than likely never see him again.
Yeah, especially for Orci and Kurztman it sounded really restrained and nice. Not forced or anything. Didn't mess with bringing Kirk back from the dead or showing the currently rather fat old Shatner. It seemed the perfect way to include him.

I believe they said Shatner wanted a bigger role than a quick voice recording but this would have been by far the best way to do it. Oh well.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Well, there is the possibility he just preferred to stay as Captain, like how for so long Riker preferred to remain first officer of the Enterprise rather than getting his own command. .
Remember Kirk told him to never give up the chair, never let them promote you.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I get the impression that Brooks stayed on the show mostly because of the Ben/Jake relationship and the positive representation of a black family on television.

Given that new Trek is all reboot anyway, there's no place for any of the old stars.

Cheebs

firehawk12 said:
Given that new Trek is all reboot anyway, there's no place for any of the old stars.
It seems like including Nimoy has made a lot of people seem to expect that cameos will continue with the sequels for some reason. I always got the impression Nimoy was just a one time thing to book-end the old franchise with the new. Which I really hope is the case. Now that the whole universe is set in motion I think Pine can carry the franchise on his own with his crew just fine.

Speaking of the new movie have any of you seen some of the deleted scenes now up on youtube?

Kirk and crew member:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrLU3DU-ycM

Spock's birth:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXKiGZzGtSs

Rura Penthe (new movie klingons!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W66bSajPGtQ

Cheebs

JoshuaJSlone said:
For a second I read that as Pike and agreed!
Hah, I would have loved to see that as well. Movie Pike was far more awesome and badass than TOS Pike and I loved The Cage. Probably the only Captain who wasn't the lead that actually held his own, the rest are always buffoons.

orion434

Meus Renaissance said:
By the way, whatever did happen to Wesley 'Neo' Crusher?

He was in Nemesis, but the scenes were deleted... he doesn't make it into any of the feature film. The Actor is now doing work as Fawkes, the leader of the Axis of Anarchy in "The Guild"

Medalion

Banned
Sisko helped design the Defiant, that is badass. The first warship in Starfleet history to battle the Borg and Dominion threats.

sionyboy said:
One of the most painful moments of Star Trek for me is Captain Picard taking orders from Admiral Janeway in Nemesis. How is he still Captain? Why is the distinguished, sophisticated, traveller of the stars taking orders from someone who left the delta quadrant in a worse state that she found it?!?! I mean, that scene alone should've prepared me for the 95 minutes of Trek Rape that followed.

Picard stated several times he doesn't want to become Admiral because Enterprise is his life, or something

MC Safety

JayDubya said:
a) Boba Fett did not die in RotJ.

b) Sisko did die, but a more analogous Star Wars death would be Obi-Wan's.

This is why you should never debate anything with a Star Wars or Star Trek fan.

Somewhere, the evil emperor of nerds is rubbing his hands and cackling evilly.

Zen

Banned
Cheebs said:

Though it did it not making any sense, timeline wise; the script called for Shattner to be older than Kirk in any of the previous movies, and sending Spock a 'good luck old friend' card... when he was missing in the expanse until Picard brought him back during Generations, and dead shortly there after. Unless my memory is fuzzy, it's not like Spock embarked upon his unification quest during the TOS movies era, making the whole thing just weird.

I think the scene could have worked much better had Old Spock emphasized the strengths of each of them, only to have young Spock iterate upon how this Kirk is different, worse, childish, and having grown up without his father. It would be a perfect setup for Old Spock to have argued that is exactly the reason that Kirk needs him, and he needs Kirk, having lost Vulcan. They need eachother, basically, would have been a much more compelling argument and a logical addition to the argument itself than just "You'll accomplish great things" or whatever it was.

sionyboy said:
DS9 reunion would be awesome, but they scattered the crew across the galaxy, it'd have to be some inventive writing to get them back together. Perhaps it was done on purpose, so no punk upstart writer will try to mess with its legacy in years to come.

They ended the show perfectly. But if they were to try and get something going I don't see anyone coming back to the show. Its been 10 years since its been off the air? Only reason TOS came back was because of the historical importance it had.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Teh Hamburglar said:
Man, that episode was awesome. Sisko trying to damn parts of his soul for the greater good and rationalizing it.

That is without a doubt my favorite DS9 episode.

Janeway doesn't deserve to scrub Sisko's taint. She is nowhere near his league.

Anasui Kishibe said:
the fact she puts herself in the same league as Picard makes me lol

yeah, looks like she doesn't even know there's DS9 :lol

to be honest, DS9 is complete garbage and she is right not mentioning it

CiSTM

Banned
Enosh said:
see? That's what you get from banning Dax

But isn't it among the least popular star trek shows ? I know I like it but I understand when you see people saying things like you quoted.

Enosh

CiSTM said:
But isn't it among the least popular star trek shows ? I know I like it but I understand when you see people saying things like you quoted.

popularity=/=quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom