• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Janeway Is Still A Dick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Medalion said:
Gul Dukat was the best developed villain character that the new Star Treks ever made, end of story. He had amazing complexity and depth and backstory and acting.

For sure. The episode where Dukat finally admits to himself he hated Bajorans was awesome. He'd always been played as though he believed what he did was merciful. Then they strip everything away and show us who Dukat is straight up.

EDIT - dude, the post above me is awesome. DS9 is an old west show, and Voyager is Gilligan's Island. Funny cause it's true.

Thats kind of what they were shooting for. They have a featurette on season 1 about how they have the sheriffs office, doctor, tavern in the city.

MedHead said:
Star Trek is "boldly going" places. Deep Space Nine wasn't that. I never wrote that I hated the show, either.

Anasui Kishibe, I'm a Junior Member because I have less than 200 posts, and have only recently had my account activated.

Where did TNG or VOY "boldly go"?

GDGF

Soothsayer
Medalion said:
Gul Dukat was the best developed villain character that the new Star Treks ever made, end of story. He had amazing complexity and depth and backstory and acting.

This. Gul Dukat is one of my favorite villians of all time.

Gul Dukat deserves to be in a movie. Too late for that now I guess.

Medalion

Banned
The Borg, are a great villain race, but not as a singular villain persona. And plus, they were abused to hell and back because of Voyager which I love and hate about them at the same time.

Medalion said:
The Borg, are a great villain race, but not as a singular villain persona. And plus, they were abused to hell and back because of Voyager which I love and hate about them at the same time.
Seriously, it should be "Oh shit, it's the Borg!" not "Not again, it's the Borg..."

lunarworks said:
Seriously, it should be "Oh shit, it's the Borg!" not "Not again, it's the Borg..."

no kidding. Remember when they stole a transwarp coil from a borg ship? Granted it was a scout ship but still. Janeway liked to rattle the hive.

Its kind of sad every series has to have their magic bullet character. The one character that can usually save the day with some techno babble.

TNG - Data
DS9 - Bashir
VOY - 7of9
ENT - Everyone was inept but T'Pol I guess cuz shes Vulcan and they know alot more about space and stuff.

I dont know how many times a few "modified nanoprobes" saved the day in VOY. I wonder how many times the word "modified" showed up in all the scripts. Lazy writing FTW

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Teh Hamburglar said:
no kidding. Remember when they stole a transwarp coil from a borg ship? Granted it was a scout ship but still. Janeway liked to rattle the hive.

Its kind of sad every series has to have their magic bullet character. The one character that can usually save the day with some techno babble.

TNG - Data
DS9 - Bashir
VOY - 7of9
ENT - Everyone was inept but T'Pol I guess cuz shes Vulcan and they know alot more about space and stuff.

I dont know how many times a few "modified nanoprobes" saved the day in VOY. I wonder how many times the word "modified" showed up in all the scripts. Lazy writing FTW

Phlox was awesome.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
JoshuaJSlone said:
Endgame: Admiral Janeway Is Still A Dick

Yes, but you have to give credit to any 70 year old woman who can steal the Bat mobiles shield technology.

292px-USS_Voyager_with_hull_armor.jpg

Enosh

Teh Hamburglar said:

TNG - Data
DS9 - Bashir
VOY - 7of9

eeee what?

rykomatsu

Enosh said:
eeee what?

Well, there was that one DS9 episode where Kira (i think?) and Bashir ended up on a planet with some kind of hereditary plague that was a result of a punishment from the Dominion. And I think Kira called Bashir out on that type of attitude where he thinks he can cure/fix anything/everything....

Medalion

Banned
There is enough technobabble to around, it's a requirement in starfleet.

Bashir and O'Brien... he's the freaking Chief Engineer for goodness sakes!

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I have to second my love for Gul Dukat as one of the greatest villains of all time.

But I also wanna throw Kai Winn out there as a great villain. She was just so good at being someone you really really really hated. Just despised to the core and wanted to kick in the eye everytime she was on screen.

Minamu

Regarding each show having a magic bullet character; Is it just me or does it seem like Star Trek has a curse on it when it comes to actors? I mean, very few actors become really famous. I don't know their specific reasons or how their lives turned out afterwards or anything but it seems like movie/tv careers mostly die after joining a Star Trek show :S

TOS: The three main characters became famous all over the world but it's mainly Shatner who have appeared in any broader capacity, though nothing as major as TOS. To the best of my knowledge of course. I know Nimoy has done some photography & wrote at least one book but that's pretty much it. I'm not counting cameos as developing your career.

TNG: Patrick Stewart has had a sweet career in Hollywood since the 90's. The other cast members, not so much. Not compared to Stewart anyway. I know Frakes really liked directing etc but nothing major came of it as far as I know.

VOY: Hmm, everyone except Jeri Ryan (and I haven't seen her since Boston Public either) just vanished. Mulgrew was the lead actress for 7 years & is now doing VO work for video games. What happened? :S

DS9: Rene Auberjonois was pretty famous prior to DS9 & he still is, I guess. Overall, I think DS9 had the most renowned actors. But again, most have disappeared from popular entertainment as far as I've noticed. One would guess that professional child actors like Cirroc Lofton would be able to use their experience on the shows to create a flourishing acting career. But no. Same thing goes for Wil Wheaton, really. I've seen Alexander Siddig around the pond from time to time but he doesn't seem to have been able to land a role with the same magnitude as Bashir since DS9 either.

ENT: Woah let's not even go there :lol Scott Bakula was semi-famous before landing his role but he's gone AWOL since ENT as well. I don't have anything to say about the rest of the cast. Archer's dog has probably had a more successful career than the rest combined.

It seems to me that joining a Star Trek is suicide, career-wise. Maybe that's true for most sci-fi shows, I dunno. Apart from 1 or 2 actors per show, most have just disappeared from the public eye, voluntarily or not. I suppose some of them got filthy rich & don't need to work but how many can that be? I guess some went back to theatre as well but still. Only Stewart have been able to land major blockbuster roles since Star Trek. And he's one of maybe 40-50 main characters. Something is up with that shit :lol Can anyone explain this?

On another note, I think DS9 is my favorite series. I grew up with Voyager & loved it until I watched the finale. God awful BS episodes tbh. I've watched half of TOS (I know, blasphemy. That show makes my eyes bleed), really loved TNG & semi-enjoyed ENT. But DS9 had such a different tone compared to the rest that felt really fresh to me. Must watch again in the future :D

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
DrForester said:
Her and Picard? No Sisko? Sisko already got the Shaft in Nemesis as the only captain they didn't make some reference to (even archer got a nod).

Captain Janeways is still a dick.
Sisko didn't actually captain a 'ship' though... he ran a space station. Yeah he was awesome but exploratory missions weren't his priority.

Minamu said:
ENT: Woah let's not even go there :lol Scott Bakula was semi-famous before landing his role but he's gone AWOL since ENT as well. I don't have anything to say about the rest of the cast. Archer's dog has probably had a more successful career than the rest combined.
Dude, Bakula had a huge role in Chuck for the 2nd half of last season and was just in the Matt Damon movie The Informant. I'd hardly say that's AWOL.

Also, Mulgrew was a key character on the NBC show Black Donnelly's 2 years ago but that got cancelled. Just sayin :D

Minamu

True, I forgot about Chuck :) Good for him ^^ Still, the other 6 main characters, not to mention all the minors, could very well be living a farmer's life on Mars for all I know :)

Medalion

Banned
whytemyke said:
Sisko didn't actually captain a 'ship' though... he ran a space station. Yeah he was awesome but exploratory missions weren't his priority.

The Defiant, he was responsible for its construction, he brought it to DS9, he was the Captain of the space station, and the Defiant was the main starship personally used by DS9 seniors officers, most of all, Sisko is considered Captain of that ship...but not in the traditional sense of mainly travelling to galaxies majority of the time.

missbreedsiddx said:
I have to second my love for Gul Dukat as one of the greatest villains of all time.

But I also wanna throw Kai Winn out there as a great villain. She was just so good at being someone you really really really hated. Just despised to the core and wanted to kick in the eye everytime she was on screen.

Both were great villains because they had depth. They weren't evil because they were evil. Both truly believed what they were doing was right and justified. Winn was sooo envious that the Prophets chose a non believer to be their Emissary. This pissed her off to no end and she fought him for 7 years. She did stuff knowing it was wrong because she wanted to be Bajor's savior.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Minamu said:

John Billingsly (Phlox) Has gotten a TON of TV work after enterprise. Some of it recurring , some of it one shot but they've been notable shows. NCIS, True Blood, 24, and he had a major role in The Nine. He was so busy that he actually had to drop out of Prison Break and his role was recast for season 2.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0082517/

MisterHero

Minamu said:
You're wrong!

Bakula is doing Quantum Leap the Movie where Sam finally comes home! He comes home! I just know he does! They have to finish the story!

*runs away crying*

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Teh Hamburglar said:
Bashir was also a recurring character on 24 last season...until he died.

Yes, they Blew up Bashir, and Phlox on the last 2 seasons of 24. I'm really hopeful blowing up Star Trek doctors becomes a running gag, but none of the remaining Trek doctors seem to be on the Season 8 cast list :(

MC Safety

Teh Hamburglar said:

TNG - Data
DS9 - Bashir
VOY - 7of9

Worse: Wesley Crusher on The Next Generation routinely saved the Enterprise.

Minamu

DrForester said:
John Billingsly (Phlox) Has gotten a TON of TV work after enterprise. Some of it recurring , some of it one shot but they've been notable shows. NCIS, True Blood, 24, and he had a major role in The Nine. Hew was so busy that he actually had to drop out of Prison Break and his role was recast for season 2.

Yeah, I've seen him in TB & I'm really glad he has a part in that, however small it may be (it got relatively big this last season). It's still a downgrade, screentime-wise, compared to ENT. It seems to me now that he has had the most success of them all, when you think about it :D

Teh Hamburglar said:
Bashir was also a recurring character on 24 last season...until he died.
I was going to mention that but it slipped my mind :( He was awesome in 24... Again, small part compared to being a regular for 7 years. Which was my original point :)

I don't consider going from being a regular for 7 years to doing minor characters for single digit numbers of episodes for a couple of different shows to be all that great. In fact, it seems like really bad luck to me. And a lot of actors seem to have caught the same thing. But what do I know? :D

And while it most certainly is true that some actors have had some success after Star Trek, the fact seems to remain that a clear majority have not had that joy for whatever reason :( Doesn't it seem a bit odd, you know? :) Here we have 5 different shows & 11 movies & the ones who have had above average success are just a tiny handful of people. Take for example the show Friends. A couple of the actors there have become huge. And some not so much. They're still active & seen around Hollywood. But that's not really the case with ST. Most seem to have gone underground there. Usually some people may fade away slightly, but in ST they just vanish into another dimension or something :lol It's one thing when the minor roles fade out of existence. But we're talking about main characters here. Characters any show could crash & burn without.

I haven't done any research but I don't think it's that common to this extent on other shows. I dunno if any of this makes any sense. It's almost 3:30AM right now.

Minamu said:
Yeah, I've seen him in TB & I'm really glad he has a part in that, however small it may be (it got relatively big this last season). It's still a downgrade, screentime-wise, compared to ENT. It seems to me now that he has had the most success of them all, when you think about it :D

I was going to mention that but it slipped my mind :( He was awesome in 24... Again, small part compared to being a regular for 7 years. Which was my original point :)

I don't consider going from being a regular for 7 years to doing minor characters for single digit numbers of episodes for a couple of different shows to be all that great. In fact, it seems like really bad luck to me. And a lot of actors seem to have caught the same thing. But what do I know? :D

And while it most certainly is true that some actors have had some success after Star Trek, the fact seems to remain that a clear majority have not had that joy for whatever reason :( Doesn't it seem a bit odd, you know? :) Here we have 5 different shows & 11 movies & the ones who have had above average success are just a tiny handful of people. Take for example the show Friends. A couple of the actors there have become huge. And some not so much. They're still active & seen around Hollywood. But that's not really the case with ST. Most seem to have gone underground there. Usually some people may fade away slightly, but in ST they just vanish into another dimension or something :lol It's one thing when the minor roles fade out of existence. But we're talking about main characters here. Characters any show could crash & burn without.

I haven't done any research but I don't think it's that common to this extent on other shows. I dunno if any of this makes any sense. It's almost 3:30AM right now.

Most of, if not all, Trek actors are stage actors. Most probably went back to theater as I know TNG crew did. Dorn, Stewart, Frakes, Spiner and Chief OBrien appeared in one play together.

Medalion

Banned
Saying people that join Star Trek is a death sentence career wise... most of these people hired are unknowns and achieve a huge fanbase and recognition for being in the universe. Sure they may not get much work of the same reconition afterwards, but better that huge reconition for that, than not at all.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Siddig was in Syriana. Actually I vaguely recalled that he got blown up there too. :lol

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Too much DS9 hate in this thread. :(

I love TOS, TNG, and DS9, tolerate ENT, and don't much care for VOY. DS9 is by far my favorite though.

Medalion said:
Saying people that join Star Trek is a death sentence career wise... most of these people hired are unknowns and achieve a huge fanbase and recognition for being in the universe. Sure they may not get much work of the same reconition afterwards, but better that huge reconition for that, than not at all.

You'd need a fair comparision with someone that has done a TV show and then become famous.

Micheal Douglas, The Streets of Sanfransico.

Who else have you really got, The Rock? Jennifer Annston?

It's probably really hard to jump from A list TV to A list movie star. I doubt it's a Star Trek curse.

rykomatsu

dreamcastmaster said:
You'd need a fair comparision with someone that has done a TV show and then become famous.

Micheal Douglas, The Streets of Sanfransico.

Who else have you really got, The Rock? Jennifer Annston?

It's probably really hard to jump from A list TV to A list movie star. I doubt it's a Star Trek curse.

Haven't most of the Friends cast been casted as major characters in atleast one Hollywood movie?

Enosh

BorkBork said:
Siddig was in Syriana. Actually I vaguely recalled that he got blown up there too. :lol

didn't he blow himself up at the end of doomsday too?
edit: wait, I think he didn't, he just blowed his brains out with a gun

Cheerilee

rykomatsu said:
Haven't most of the Friends cast been casted as major characters in atleast one Hollywood movie?
Thinking of Friends, I heard that after a few years of Magnum PI, Tom Selleck was advised to dump his show and move on to bigger and better things. He told his agents that he wasn't going to do it, because he knew that would be the end of the careers of his co-stars, so he stuck with the show for another two or three years simply for their sake. And he himself wasn't even able to do that great in Hollywood afterwards.

But I also think I heard once that some people argued that the original Star Trek was harder on it's actors than most shows were, in terms of typecasting and peer respect. The social circles of Hollywood supposedly looked at the costumes and the makeup and the cardboard sets of Trek and thought that it was ridiculous (even though the only way it could be more thespian would be if Kirk and Spock broke into song with each other). And the fact that it had a following only served to make things worse, as they could dismiss it as something "for them", as if nerds were some sort of unknown creature.

I think Paramount tried to counter these concerns (real or not) by offering their actors opportunities in behind-the-scenes work like writing and directing.

Enosh said:
didn't he blow himself up at the end of doomsday too?
edit: wait, I think he didn't, he just blowed his brains out with a gun

Siddig explodes in a episode of Spooks (MI5) as well. At this point I'm starting to believe it's a recurring gag

Minamu said:
VOY: Hmm, everyone except Jeri Ryan (and I haven't seen her since Boston Public either) just vanished.
Robert Picardo sticks out as still being in a lot of stuff.
One would guess that professional child actors like Cirroc Lofton would be able to use their experience on the shows to create a flourishing acting career. But no.
Doesn't that tend to not work out for child actors in general?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
DrForester said:
John Billingsly (Phlox) Has gotten a TON of TV work after enterprise. Some of it recurring , some of it one shot but they've been notable shows. NCIS, True Blood, 24, and he had a major role in The Nine. He was so busy that he actually had to drop out of Prison Break and his role was recast for season 2.

Connor Trinneer (Trip) went on to be a recurring villain in the last couple seasons of Stargate Atlantis, but since then he's only done a couple of roles, usually as a one-off minor character in TV episodes.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Cirroc Lofton managed quite a few guest appearance post ds9, but i really had high hopes for him. I may be alone in this, but I thought he was a fantastic actor.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Worst Captain ever.

She spent more time whining and moralizing than actually leading.

Hmm...that reminds me of someone...

Cheebs said:
How does this all fit in with the fact Paramount considered canceling DS9 after Season 6?
Voyager was probably never in consideration for cancellation because it was Paramount's main show for UPN - canceling Voyager would've looked bad for the network.

Teh Hamburglar said:
Most of, if not all, Trek actors are stage actors. Most probably went back to theater as I know TNG crew did. Dorn, Stewart, Frakes, Spiner and Chief OBrien appeared in one play together.
Robert Picardo became a (temporary) main character on Stargate: Atlantis. It was for about a season at least. Colm Meaney also made an appearance on Atlantis.

how can people, who are saying that Janeway was the worst Star Trek character ever, forget him:
wesley pic*
he was so annoying. I remember switching off my TV because I couldn't stand him anymore

140.85 said:
Worst Captain ever.

She spent more time whining and moralizing than actually leading.

Hmm...that reminds me of someone...

she completely flipflops on some decisions within the same season. Watch the SF Debris.com video reviews of VOY episodes. They are hilarious.

Teh Hamburglar said:
she completely flipflops on some decisions within the same season.
ARGH! or even the same episode. That's one of the thing that sticks out to me about her. She was always damn sure she was in the right and would staunchly defend it, but when circumstances caused a change she'd be just as vociferous for the other way.

Just looking for a few relevant bits from my own written Voyager comments...

Janeway doesn't want to resort to murder? Yeah, tell that to Tuvix.
So of course after all the yapping at the Equinox crew that they shouldn't have been following the captain's shitty unStarfleet-like orders, she gets pissed at Chakotay and Tuvok for questioning her shitty unStarfleet-like orders.
So a week after Janeway doesn't want to cause unnecessary drone death, she wants to go hunting to kill a drone to help save Seven. Buh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom