• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 8Bitdo SNES30/SFC30 is the best (retro) controller I have ever owned.

Do explain, please.

I know this was directed at dock but I want to chime in and ask for my own advice.

I have had a lot of luck with my 8bitdo playing -MOST- games. The trouble is some of my favorite games (Contra, Super-C, Contra III The Alien Wars, and Contra Hard Corps) suck.

Here is the reason.

arrow.png

Diagonals suck. I am always having diagonals register incorrectly with my SNES 30 8bitdo.

I am not a huge fighting game player on pads but I can only imagine the frustration involved trying to get proper inputs for a Street Fighter style game.

What I want to know is, are we limited to DualShock 4 for a wireless pad that has a good d-pad?

The SNES style is great but the iBuffalo SNES pad is kinda cheap and wired. Sure it's pretty good, but not great. It's seemingly the only option.

The real kicker here is I own the very sought after USB Saturn 6-button controller (I have 2) but its wired and not THAT much more reliable with diagonal inputs.

320px-SaturnPad.jpg

I thought this pad was supposed to be Jesus. It isn't.

I don't really have a way to test an original SNES pad but is this just the name of the game with older controllers? What is the best d-pad for accurate directionals? At this point my DualShock 4 kicks a lot of ass but it doesn't come CLOSE to the feel of the 8bitdo and other dedicated d-pad choices.

So the verdict seems to be that using 8bitdo controllers in Bluetooth mode are a bit hit or miss when it comes to input lag? What about when you've got it wired through USB? I assume that there's no input lag in that case, or am I wrong? I just bought a FC30 and I don't want to regret my purchase...!

Sophia

So the verdict seems to be that using 8bitdo controllers in Bluetooth mode are a bit hit or miss when it comes to input lag? What about when you've got it wired through USB? I assume that there's no input lag in that case, or am I wrong? I just bought a FC30 and I don't want to regret my purchase...!

I use it wired, and I've never noticed any input lag. That being said, I haven't exactly tested it with proper equipment so...

I use it wired, and I've never noticed any input lag. That being said, I haven't exactly tested it with proper equipment so...

Interesting, thanks for your input (no pun intended). I guess I'll go ahead and open this thing, I love the way it looks, the form factor, etc. it'll go so perfectly with my Raspberry Pi. Just afraid about opening it, it sucks and is laggy, and then not being able to return it.

Interesting, thanks for your input (no pun intended). I guess I'll go ahead and open this thing, I love the way it looks, the form factor, etc. it'll go so perfectly with my Raspberry Pi. Just afraid about opening it, it sucks and is laggy, and then not being able to return it.

Input lag was never my issue with the controller. Just don't go fighting game community hero on it, or expect to 1-credit Contra. The feel of the thing is unmatched. I closed my eyes and tried to feel the difference between an official pad in a little unscientific test and I couldn't.

deleted

Hopefully they'll update the SFC30 to be compatible with the switch. Bluetooth 3.0 should allow that and having SNES controllers for some of those games would be awesome!

I'll just throw in my disappointment with this controller here. The dpad is truly terrible. It's registering diagonals when I only hit up or down. Its very noticeable in games requiring precise controls like Contra, Windjammers and fighters. I have yet to be able to pull off a single 360 with Zangief. Also the buttons have a reverse issue in that they aren't sensitive enough. This is noticeable when trying to mash in Contra, and getting maybe half the shots as I would on an NES controller.

I'm not entirely disappointed in my purchase because there are a lot of games that don't require much precision and in those games it's just fine. For casual play, I suppose I could recommend them.

I'm contemplating opening it up to see if I can make some adjustments.

I'll just throw in my disappointment with this controller here. The dpad is truly terrible. It's registering diagonals when I only hit up or down. Its very noticeable in games requiring precise controls like Contra, Windjammers and fighters. I have yet to be able to pull off a single 360 with Zangief. Also the buttons have a reverse issue in that they aren't sensitive enough. This is noticeable when trying to mash in Contra, and getting maybe half the shots as I would on an NES controller.

I'm not entirely disappointed in my purchase because there are a lot of games that don't require much precision and in those games it's just fine. For casual play, I suppose I could recommend them.

I'm contemplating opening it up to see if I can make some adjustments.

Your comments echo mine entirely. I have moved on from 8bitdo for now until their PCB is revised. I replaced it with what I now consider the greatest wired controller available, the Wii Classic Controller (non pro). It's from the masters themselves and feels very much like a SNES controller. I have 2 going into a Intel Compute Stick with a MayFlash USB converter running LaunchBox/Big Box as an emulation machine. Non-bilinear filtering gets me everything PS1 and before to a point where I don't feel lag, everything looks great, and I don't need a rack of classic consoles. The Intel Compute Stick is more powerful and arguably cheaper in most cases than a Raspberry Pi. Plus it comes with windows so you get better input lag than Linux.

I am tempted to try to get a pair of Wii U Pro controllers but I'm just not sold on the form factor for 2D games.

Synth

Yea, I recently bought one of these in order to use it in roomscale VR for New Retro Arcade Neon. The d-pad is horrendous... makes me useless at any fighting game, ever.

I don't really have a lot of options though, as I need something that's both wireless, has enough buttons, and is easily pocketable (without nudgeable analog sticks)... so I think I'll just have to learn to live with it.

Alx

Can the 8bitDO be used for regular DirectX games ? I had one lying around and it is recognized by the PC, but I can't seem to be able to control any "real" game with it, and the only usage I can find online is for emulators.

Synth

Can the 8bitDO be used for regular DirectX games ? I had one lying around and it is recognized by the PC, but I can't seem to be able to control any "real" game with it, and the only usage I can find online is for emulators.

New Retro Arcade Neon required XInput, and refused to work with the SFC30 initially. I was able to use X360CE to get around that though, and that should work with most games I'd imagine.

Not very elegant, and you'd be screwed when it comes to something from the Windows Store, like say Killer Instinct, but generally workable.

I use x360ce. Works flawlessly.

daninthemix

How the heck do you get this thing working with Steam Link / Retroarch? In Steam the d-pad doesn't work, and in Retroarch the Start button isn't recognised.

me0wish

So anyone on gaf got the N64 8bitdo controller? I would like to know if it has any issues like other 8bitdo products.

Moreche

I just received my SFC30 from Amazon UK but the tops of the coloured buttons are scuffed, probably because the box sits directly on top.
I really wish 8bitdo sealed the box because I think these are ripe for people who want to swap out broken or used ones for new.
I think I'll return mine.

Just got one. Worked great on the first game I tried, but once I loaded up Super Mario World the Bluetooth lag was apparent. I am using openEMU on Mac, so will see if switching modes on the controller helps.
The controller feels so good, but if I can't fix the lag it is going back.

EDIT: Did the firmware upgrade, and still have delay on MacOS. Even when using in wired USB mode I get delay. It is very minor, but noticeable on fast reaction games like Mario.

As much as I love the feel of this controller, I am sending it back to Amazon. It hurts to do this, because I wanted to love it.
Back to the Dual Shock 4 for my emulator controller needs it seems.

Piers

The idea of playing Crimzon Clover with an 8bitdo tickles me in ways it frankly should never.
I'd probably dip super hard into a Genesis controller, though, since Sega are obviously all open to games on Steam.

The idea of playing Crimzon Clover with an 8bitdo tickles me in ways it frankly should never.
I'd probably dip super hard into a Genesis controller, though, since Sega are obviously all open to games on Steam.

I would love to see 8bitdo tackle sega style controllers as well

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, so a little update to my post here (If anyones interested!)

I took apart my SFC30 and can confirm that the 8Bitdo D-Pad PCB contacts are not the same as the original Nintendo D-Pad contacts, which can make the D-Pad overly sensitive as described in the previously linked review. Here is a comparison picture:-

I have made a thread about this issue over at the 8Bitdo forums, in the hope that their designers can update the PCB:-
http://forum.8bitdo.com/thread-446-1-1.html

did they every fix that problem? in the "switch supports now 8bitdo" thread someone said they did, but I found no proof of that claim anywhere on the internet...and my FC30Pro is still recognising left or right inputs as ups or downs

The Finest Brew

Neo Member
Is there a confirmed way to get the FC30 Pro to work on PS4? I was able to get the PS3 firmware on it, but it seems like it's not working on the PS4 itself. Maybe through legacy support?

Anyone able to test the new firmware on MacOS? I had delay with the SFC wireless controller with OpenEMU, so much that I returned the controller. If they can fix the lag, I will get a few of these things, because the feel of the controller was fantastic.

I got 2 sfc30 controllers today from amazon and they are fantastic. Upgrading them was a breeze and I tested them on both switch and PC. No issues anywhere!

For fun I took one apart and took an official snes controller apart ( I recently purchased it and needed to clean it anyway)

Heres the results. Mold wise 8bitdo has basically copied the snes controllers 1:1

rxGhCwR.jpg

Lots of Room for a bigger battery

6Vh25c7.jpg

PCB and membrane

iIxn4NK.jpg

Official SNES and SFC30

UfXLmMc.jpg

Official SNES and SFC30 side by side. It looks like the buttons and membrane are interchangeable if you don't like the feel.

I don't see a receiver that you can plug into an actual SNES though.

EDIT: OK, saw it on the 8BitDo site.. Still a bummer that the controller doesn't come with one like the NES30 did.

RPGam3r

Just got a SFC30. Update was easy and pairing it with the Switch was also a breeze. I didn't mind the Pro, or even Joycon control options, but I am super happy to be playing with this style of d-pad.

Got a SFC30 bc the colored face buttons reminded me of using the AsciiPad back in the day, which may be the only 3rd party controller until now that I thought was any good,

Just got a SFC30. Update was easy and pairing it with the Switch was also a breeze. I didn't mind the Pro, or even Joycon control options, but I am super happy to be playing with this style of d-pad.

Got a SFC30 bc the colored face buttons reminded me of using the AsciiPad back in the day, which may be the only 3rd party controller until now that I thought was any good,

And one of the few third party controllers with the Nintendo seal of quality!

Although, I was a big fan of the Programpad.

snes-controller-pad-transparent-sn-programpad.jpg

The super big d-pad was nice, but I always programmed in the certain blitzes for Sabin for FFIII (VI) to the three programmable buttons.

RPGam3r

And one of the few third party controllers with the Nintendo seal of quality!

Although, I was a big fan of the Programpad.

The super big d-pad was nice, but I always programmed in the certain blitzes for Sabin for FFIII (VI) to the three programmable buttons.

Ha! I was looking at the controller and wondering what games other than SFII (any variation) would this be advantageous, and then remembered FFIII would make a good choice... then I noticed you already said that moments later.

Insaniac

can someone please help me with my SNES30? I just got it, updated the firmware and connected it to my Switch. Works great, except the D-Pad is emulating the joystick, not the d-pad. (Playing Disgaea 5, and the cursor is moving around like when using the joystick.)

Is there a way to switch it to emulate the d-pad?

Fancolors

My FC30 pro just arrived on the mail. I tested it with Garegga and SF3 on mame and both worked fine with Bluetooth. I still haven't run into the controller interpreting lefts and rights as diagonals some people are describing, so maybe I got lucky and this is a revision or I still need to play more.

Only real issue I'm having so far is that while I can do most inputs with shotos (quartercircles and DPs), 360s are very unreliable. There's a teeny tiny bit of lag I noticed when comparing wired and wireless connections, but it doesn't bother me very much since I don't intend to play this in any competitive setting with no wire.

can someone please help me with my SNES30? I just got it, updated the firmware and connected it to my Switch. Works great, except the D-Pad is emulating the joystick, not the d-pad. (Playing Disgaea 5, and the cursor is moving around like when using the joystick.)

Is there a way to switch it to emulate the d-pad?
Not as far as I know. Can you remap controls in the game?

Burai

shitonmychest57
I've got an NES30 Pro which seems to work fine over Bluetooth on my Raspberry Pi 3, fine on my Mac and my iOS devices can see it too (although they don't work for obvious reasons - thanks Apple).

But for some reason my PC and Wii U just can't detect it. I've followed all the guides online and I just can't get it to work. It's a bit of a deal breaker as I bought it for my son to use on those two specific devices! Any ideas?

I've got an NES30 Pro which seems to work fine over Bluetooth on my Raspberry Pi 3, fine on my Mac and my iOS devices can see it too (although they don't work for obvious reasons - thanks Apple).

But for some reason my PC and Wii U just can't detect it. I've followed all the guides online and I just can't get it to work. It's a bit of a deal breaker as I bought it for my son to use on those two specific devices! Any ideas?

Can you test it on OpenEMU on Mac if you have that? I am wondering about delay.

I wish 8bitdo made a wireless 6 button Genesis controller with a receiver for that respective console, now that'd be something I'd use

A shame they don't make a stock NES wireless controller. I'd love to get one for my AVS.

You mean a wireless NES controller with only the basic layout, RetroUSB is making something similar to that, albeit with small grips on the side?

Spyware

Anyone else having a problem with the USB port on the controllers? My cables get stuck in them! Doesn't matter if I use a good cable from something else (that has worked fine for ages) or the cable that comes with the controller.
I have already killed a SFC30 due to this. The USB port just detached from the controller and is completely stuck on the cable. I didn't even pull hard.

Got a new one (SNES30 this time) and it has the same problem. My solution for now is to always have the cable attached to the controller and only detach the other end but it seems like such a strange problem. I've never had any kind of USB cable get stuck before!

Other than this I love them so I'm quite annoyed that my first one broke.

kaioshade

Anyone able to test the new firmware on MacOS? I had delay with the SFC wireless controller with OpenEMU, so much that I returned the controller. If they can fix the lag, I will get a few of these things, because the feel of the controller was fantastic.

No Lag that i could see on retroarch for os x via bluetooth

RedFox85

Picked up the sfc30 along with street fighter 2 on the switch and I can't see things from the naysayers POV this thing has been nothing short of fantastic thus far. I can infinite dragon punch with ken, sent a video to a friend earlier when he asked how the dpad was, pretty great. Maybe it's one of those things where problems pop up over time or manufacturing variations/flaws but the one I'm using has surely been solid and is my definite go to for Switch 2d gameplay.

**edit
Fwiw I watched a video by Linus tech tips where he states this controller has the exact same input lag as his pro controller.

If you are someone who only wanted the pro for the dpad but otherwise loves the joycon this thing is for you.

Top Bottom