• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

data

There was this game on the PS1 that I played. It had a buff guy and it had a top down or 3rd person camera and you were on the street killing zombies(possibly). I think you might've had a chainsaw. It has been on my mind for a few weeks now but I just cam't find it.

superjona

I'm thinking about a PC game I played ten or so years ago. It had a catchy soundtrack, and you controlled a spaceship around a planet (I think it was Earth, not sure though) in top-down view. The controls were limited to just the 360 degrees of the planet, there was no free movement. Each level had a bunch of alien invaders and you could purchase upgrades afterwards. I'm pretty sure the title had "'N'" in it as in "Guns N Roses" or something, but I can't seem to remember/find it at all.

Niahak

I'm thinking about a PC game I played ten or so years ago. It had a catchy soundtrack, and you controlled a spaceship around a planet (I think it was Earth, not sure though) in top-down view. The controls were limited to just the 360 degrees of the planet, there was no free movement. Each level had a bunch of alien invaders and you could purchase upgrades afterwards. I'm pretty sure the title had "'N'" in it as in "Guns N Roses" or something, but I can't seem to remember/find it at all.

Just based on the last part and the timing (I never actually played the game myself), could this be Jets 'n' Guns?

Phediuk

There was this game on the PS1 that I played. It had a buff guy and it had a top down or 3rd person camera and you were on the street killing zombies(possibly). I think you might've had a chainsaw. It has been on my mind for a few weeks now but I just cam't find it.

Sounds like Evil Dead: Hail to the King.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
In the early to mid 90s on PC there was a top-down jet/spaceship game that let you free roam a map any direction. I remember it being like a free roam Sidewinder.

You would get weapons upgrades like auto-tracking turret and circling missiles that would layer up.

Kinda played like Desert or Jungle Strike, but top down with upgrades you could buy and enemy ships that would swarm in different patterns.

MadMod

So this thread inspired me to search for a game I used to play as a kid on the sega mega drive with my father. It was a side scroller shooter. After searching for ten minutes I found it! Its called Bio-Hazard Battle, the second I played the video on youtube, the music instantly threw me back into nostalgia. I recognised it straight away, incredible game I used to play as a kid with my dad and a great soundtrack too.

Mini game collection, possibly Olympic type games. Possibly bomberman linked.

Had a game mode which was basically 2v2 rocket league.

Had JP version no idea if released elsewhere, probably an N64 game.

jeemer

I played a game at the weekend in an arcade. I'm so sure it said it was Ikaruga when I sat down. However, before I selected my ship type I selected a character (they were waifus) and instead of the black/white of ikaruga it seemed to be blue/pink... But I didn't seem to be able to change my colour (unless a button was broken or I was doing something wrong) - also it seemed to be a little more generous than I remember Ikaruga being with letting me away with hits that didn't impact the very centre of my ship.

It also seemed to have lots more little less complex enemies than ikaruga, which had more of a sorta sharp pixelly edge to them that reminded me of metal slug. There were also way more powerups floating around than I ever remember in ikaruga.

The thing that made the most impression on me was the weapons. If I held down fire I'd just let out this ridiculous beam, and after picking up some powerups even just tapping fire made my bullets take up the majority of the screen in front of me. It was fantastic. Anyone know what I'm on about? Is it just a different version of Ikaruga?

edit: from googling around it looks like i played some version of dodonpachi!

Leunam

There's an indie game that was posted here and I can't remember the name. What I do remember:

-Post apocalypse?
-Rogue like, pretty sure it was like an adventure game too, Oregon Trail meets (?)
-Isometric perspective I think
-something to do with survival while traveling across the country
-Very simple graphics, kind of like Kentucky Route Zero

There's an indie game that was posted here and I can't remember the name. What I do remember:

-Post apocalypse?
-Rogue like, pretty sure it was like an adventure game too, Oregon Trail meets (?)

The Flame in the Flood perhaps?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/318600/The_Flame_in_the_Flood/

-Post apocalypse?
There are a couple, such as Death Road to Canada and Organ Trail. Do you remember the mode of transport or the type of apocalypse?

Leunam

It's not Death Road to Canada but now that's also on the list.

Mode of transport was a car and I believe there was a dog companion.

Can't say for certain if type of apocalypse involved zombies or not. Probably a wasteland though.

It's not Death Road to Canada but now that's also on the list.

Mode of transport was a car and I believe there was a dog companion.

Can't say for certain if type of apocalypse involved zombies or not. Probably a wasteland though.

I think this might veer a bit outside of what you're looking for but mentioning the car I figure I might as well give you another to add to your list with Wheels of Aurelia.

http://www.wheelsofaurelia.com/

No dog and I think it's more visual novel in style.

Franziska

Listening to Bach's Contrapunctus reminded me about a piece of music I heard (repeatedly) in a game long ago. Around 2004 - 2007. Either on the PC or the PS2. #5 sounds the closest to what I remember.

It had two vocal tracks that went ban ban ban ban and la la la la and not much instrumentation.

(Could also be from Anime/TV, but Pokemon, Dexter's Lab, Ultimate Muscle, and Dragon Ball Z were all I watched back then).

I just remembered a demo that I played only a couple of times. The demo was included on a PS1 demo disc from a PlayStation Magazine that I bought from a grocery store in the later 90s. Currently trying to find that very demo disc. I think Jersey Devil and Blasto might have been on that disc as well.

About the game in question:

I think it was an RPG from Japan. The cutscenes consist of anime (I fogot if it was actually animated or just still pictures).

I remember a very specific scene in which a female was having a hot shower. The steam would hide the features of her naked body.

I think some of the gameplay took place in hallways. Seemed somewhat futuristic but I'm not entirely sure.

Otherwise I don't remember any other features.

Sylarkiller

Neo Member
There was this game I played for the Commodore 64 over 20 years ago. You entered ruins and such and went looking for treasure, and monsters tried to kill you along the way. I think it was made by either Accolade or Activision, and i've been trying to remember the name for literal years now.

Rick Dangerous?

I just remembered a demo that I played only a couple of times. The demo was included on a PS1 demo disc from a PlayStation Magazine that I bought from a grocery store in the later 90s. Currently trying to find that very demo disc. I think Jersey Devil and Blasto might have been on that disc as well.

About the game in question:

I think it was an RPG from Japan. The cutscenes consist of anime (I fogot if it was actually animated or just still pictures).

I remember a very specific scene in which a female was having a hot shower. The steam would hide the features of her naked body.

I think some of the gameplay took place in hallways. Seemed somewhat futuristic but I'm not entirely sure.

Otherwise I don't remember any other features.

Granstream Saga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju3IeHrwoXM

Faynwulf

I have a hard time remembering a game. I boroughed it when I was very young and it was most likely for SNES. I remember playing a little ball, maybe looking a little bit like clay.
And I think you could morph into different animals or even enemy types.

But the one thing I remember very clearly is one of the early bosses. It was a Dog with very large floppy ears, most likely a Basset Hound who was flying around a boss-area with the help of said ears.

At this point it might've been a fever dream of me. Because I've been asking tons of people if they know the game and everyone looked at me like I'm crazy.

I have a hard time remembering a game. I boroughed it when I was very young and it was most likely for SNES. I remember playing a little ball, maybe looking a little bit like clay.
And I think you could morph into different animals or even enemy types.

But the one thing I remember very clearly is one of the early bosses. It was a Dog with very large floppy ears, most likely a Basset Hound who was flying around a boss-area with the help of said ears.

At this point it might've been a fever dream of me. Because I've been asking tons of people if they know the game and everyone looked at me like I'm crazy.

First I thought Super Putty but didn't sound quite right for that.

Never heard of this but I found the Game just by googling SNES dog boss, it's called Claymates.

Damn that was fast. Shower scene too!

Now Ima youtube the crap out of this game.

Thanks a bunch!

One would think you would remember the most striking feature about that game, or rather, lack of (facial) feature(s): in-game, every single human had no face. It was otherwise a pretty decent game, but that weirded me out the entire game (or at least what I played of it).

playstation_gs_08.jpg

gss44.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Jacqli

I need your help with a game that I found it on GAF, but cannot remember in which thread.

It is only in German (I believe a user said he wanted to translate it) and for PC, there are robots who can learn your language (or backwards? You could learn their language and I thought the name of the game had the word robot on it, but google says nay) and I think they also have their own language. It was only available in the author's website (you could download a demo and pay for the game) that I thought I had it in my bookmarks, but it turns out it was not. :(

-Post apocalypse?

Just in case: NEO Scavenger?

In the early to mid 90s on PC there was a top-down jet/spaceship game that let you free roam a map any direction. I remember it being like a free roam Sidewinder.

You would get weapons upgrades like auto-tracking turret and circling missiles that would layer up.

Kinda played like Desert or Jungle Strike, but top down with upgrades you could buy and enemy ships that would swarm in different patterns.

Gonna go with...Traffic Department 2192.

mclem

Listening to Bach's Contrapunctus reminded me about a piece of music I heard (repeatedly) in a game long ago. Around 2004 - 2007. Either on the PC or the PS2. #5 sounds the closest to what I remember.

It had two vocal tracks that went ban ban ban ban and la la la la and not much instrumentation.

(Could also be from Anime/TV, but Pokemon, Dexter's Lab, Ultimate Muscle, and Dragon Ball Z were all I watched back then).

That's not Katamari Damacy is it? The main theme has a backing track that's somewhat ban ban ban-esque with a melody of na naaaa na na na na na na na...

Quite a bit of percussion and a little instrumentation, though.

mclem

I'd missed this until the guy above suggested TD2192, but I'd also suggest Zone 66 (published by a very young Epic Megagames!)

Aaron D.

This request is for an upcoming game.

It's a Visual Novel / Adventure hybrid due out in Q3/Q4 2017.

The backgrounds rotate and characters animate, but they have speech bubbles over their heads and has a bit of a Choose Your Own Adventure feel to it.

Themes felt pretty modern day, but it did have a Noir vibe as well.

Don't let the VN descriptor throw you off. I believe it's Western developed.

EDIT:

Got it.

NECROBARISTA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npt80bWJmlQ

Does anyone remember a game that was being developed for Vita...it was an action game where you play as a gangster or juvenile delinquent, and you're stuck on an island where you need to fight all the time. If you do cool moves, you get hearts from the girls watching your fight. I can't remember the specifics, but that was the general idea. Does that sound familiar? Is that game still around, or did it get canceled? What was it called?

retroman

Does anyone remember a game that was being developed for Vita...it was an action game where you play as a gangster or juvenile delinquent, and you're stuck on an island where you need to fight all the time. If you do cool moves, you get hearts from the girls watching your fight. I can't remember the specifics, but that was the general idea. Does that sound familiar? Is that game still around, or did it get canceled? What was it called?
Sounds like Uppers. It was released in Japan last year.

jackal27

Banned
Alright guys I've got a shareware PC dinosaur game for you.

In the 90s I used to play this game for DOS I believe. I know it was already a kind of old game I think when I started messing with it on my PC and this was in the late 90s or early 2000s. It was a dinosaur game where you could build your own fire-breathing dinosaur and battle it against other dinosaurs. You could even send you dinosaur to battle other people's online if I remember correctly. The dinosaurs were mostly green and brown if I remember correctly, mostly raptor looking, and all the battles and construction took place from an aerial view which always made me sad. The menu screens had cool art though. I think this game was shareware? Maybe freeware. I just know I didn't pay for it.

Please help this has driven me crazy for years.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Alright guys I've got a shareware PC dinosaur game for you.

In the 90s I used to play this game for DOS I believe. I know it was already a kind of old game I think when I started messing with it on my PC and this was in the late 90s or early 2000s. It was a dinosaur game where you could build your own fire-breathing dinosaur and battle it against other dinosaurs. You could even send you dinosaur to battle other people's online if I remember correctly. The dinosaurs were mostly green and brown if I remember correctly, mostly raptor looking, and all the battles and construction took place from an aerial view which always made me sad. The menu screens had cool art though. I think this game was shareware? Maybe freeware. I just know I didn't pay for it.

Please help this has driven me crazy for years.

Dinosaur Predators perhaps?

xgzpVez.jpg

jackal27

Banned
Dinosaur Predators perhaps?

xgzpVez.jpg
Definitely not. Graphics were much more advanced and darker than that and the view was from above. The game was real time though, not turn based. The aerial view that was directly above the dinosaurs, not angled like that either. It wasn't a great camera angle.

I also remember it being pretty dark and gloomy as well. May have even had blood.

BouncyFrag

Its an euro-rpg where a npc who had been ripping you off with bad land deals shows up during or around the final boss fight. It was random as fuck, lol. This was on the xbox 360

Back in the day. Weirdest game ever (grannys garden era)
there was a game where you would have to go through rooms, left and right and not get attacked by stuff and find keys to open doors. It was weird as!!! and I don't think I will ever remember.

Its an euro-rpg where a npc who had been ripping you off with bad land deals shows up during or around the final boss fight. It was random as fuck, lol. This was on the xbox 360

Risen? Two Worlds? Gothica?

I haven't played any of these, but if it was for the 360 it shouldn't be too hard to work out.

mclem

Back in the day. Weirdest game ever (grannys garden era)
there was a game where you would have to go through rooms, left and right and not get attacked by stuff and find keys to open doors. It was weird as!!! and I don't think I will ever remember.

There's not really a lot to go on there, so all I can really do is rattle off a few adventurey-style educational games from that era and hope a name or a bit of research rings a bell. Unfortunately, though, there's not a lot of information out there; it's not going to be an easy search!

Flowers of Crystal (same devs as Granny's Garden, actually, but much more obscure)
Martello Tower
L: A Mathemagical Adventure
The Lost Frog
Albert's House
Dread Dragon Droom
Merlin's Castle
Dust (later 'Stardust')
Wizard's Revenge
Wizard's Return

I'm sure there's a lot more, too, many educational games from that era had a basic adventure-game style design - but those are the first that spring to mind.

I've highlighted The Lost Frog on a hunch, because that was an adventure that targetted particularly young kids and so it didn't follow the usual convention of having NORTH, SOUTH (etc) directions, but instead had LEFT and RIGHT (and UP and DOWN). Since you explicitly said left and right in your description... might just be a coincidence, or might be one distinctive element that's stuck in the mind.

In the event that it's none of those, I'd be interested to hear if any are visually similar to the one - a few devs had fairly distinctive graphical styles - in how they presented text! The BBC's distinctive double-height characters are a common theme.

Lork

I only have memories of watching a video of it, but something that looked like a beatemup for the Neo Geo that took place in feudal Japan, but with in engine cutscenes with dialog boxes at the bottom of the screen. Does that ring a bell for anyone?

Lork

maybe Knight of Valour 2, but it take places in china, some people could mistake it for feudal japan (legend of the three kingdoms)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kJR2XA0mL0
That looks closer graphically but it's definitely not it. The player character was a young looking samurai who was fighting demons. I think the cutscenes (really just a series of dialog boxes) took up a significant part of the videos I watched, and I distinctly remember being amused by the player character's portrait in those dialog boxes constantly looking angry/surprised.

Sounds obvious but it wasn't Samurai Showdown was it?
I suppose anything's possible, but none of the videos of the various Shodowns I'm seeing on Youtube look like what I'm thinking of.

I think it might not have been localized and had a title that wasn't even translated on Wikipedia, which would explain why I didn't track it down when I first saw it.

Top Bottom