• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

mclem

it's this online game from around 10 years or so ago
and it's all drawn in just bad stick like drawing
and it had like online community but really basic
and all the titles were weird random names
had levelling system and the servers would need to go down like almost daily for maint
was also like point click like mechinics were fucked up simple
just like
click
to do stuff
like buy stick drawing gun
no moving animation

Kingdom of Loathing?

I'm trying to remember a game I saw mentioned in a thread here. I've been digging around, but haven't been able to find it.

It's a cosmic horror adventure game. Everything is black and white; it kind of looks like manga. I don't think the game has been officially released, but it is playable. It may have been set in the 80s, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

Roufianos

I've been thinking of this fighter recently. I had it on PS1. I remember the box art was black with a crest on it, pretty minimal. The only character I can remember is some old Asian guy with wolverine like blades on his hands. The final boss was some kind of creature I think.

retroman

I've been thinking of this fighter recently. I had it on PS1. I remember the box art was black with a crest on it, pretty minimal. The only character I can remember is some old Asian guy with wolverine like blades on his hands. The final boss was some kind of creature I think.

Sounds like Battle Arena Toshinden.

tosh-platinum.jpeg

fo-t1.JPG

RobertM

I'm trying to remember a name of a project that was started probably around the time of Oblivion with really nice graphics and ogres in the tech demo. I don't remember if it was a mod or a fan project, but I just saw a trailer for Project Wright and it looks very close to this mod/project.

They had images of really realistic looking castle and glass work.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm trying to remember a name of a project that was started probably around the time of Oblivion with really nice graphics and ogres in the tech demo. I don't remember if it was a mod or a fan project, but I just saw a trailer for Project Wright and it looks very close to this mod/project.

They had images of really realistic looking castle and glass work.

Probably Project Offset.

Raptor

Arcade game, you control a cop, is kinda like a shoter like contra but you control a cop, for the life of me cant remember the name.

2 games.

First game is a Genesis game. 2.5 d. You controlled a mech and you could change its weapon loadout. Moonlight Sonota was I think the ending credits music. Made by Wolf Team or something like that.

Second game is either Nes or Genesis. Was first person and I remember it being basically just boss battles where you could target limbs and blow them off. One of the bosses was like a Dragon with rocket launchers I think. Pretty sure the box said something about mature audiences only but I rented it no problem as a kid back then.

Tech demo FPS thingy with great graphics at the time, main appeal was that it was only a few hundred Kilobites or lower. You fight a spider robot machine thing in it

2 games.

First game is a Genesis game. 2.5 d. You controlled a mech and you could change its weapon loadout. Moonlight Sonota was I think the ending credits music. Made by Wolf Team or something like that.

Second game is either Nes or Genesis. Was first person and I remember it being basically just boss battles where you could target limbs and blow them off. One of the bosses was like a Dragon with rocket launchers I think. Pretty sure the box said something about mature audiences only but I rented it no problem as a kid back then.

Ranger-X for the first one maybe?

Ranger-X for the first one maybe?

Nope. I think I used the term 2.5 d incorrectly. It's not top down but not side scrolling. Like.... Diablo view and movement. In a mech. I remember one of the weapons was Vulcan cannons. You had to clear each stage of all enemies before fighting a boss. First boss was kind of a train.

Edit: Got it!! First game is called Final Zone! Great game back then. Fun to just zone out to. Not difficult at all and I'd beat it just to hear the end credits music.

blurr

I remember seeing this game in an Arcade in Kolkata about 15 years ago - it was a brawler with a boss battle involving a Giant Octopus type creature. I saw some guy play it from start to finish in one go, wasn't mentally prepared for that when I entered the arcade.

psk87

Neo Member
Nope. I think I used the term 2.5 d incorrectly. It's not top down but not side scrolling. Like.... Diablo view and movement. In a mech. I remember one of the weapons was Vulcan cannons. You had to clear each stage of all enemies before fighting a boss. First boss was kind of a train.

Edit: Got it!! First game is called Final Zone! Great game back then. Fun to just zone out to. Not difficult at all and I'd beat it just to hear the end credits music.

Isometric view is the term for what I think your describing.

zdenko1

This might sound strange but I'm looking for Doom parody game or mod that I played long time ago. I'm not sure if it was Doom 1 or 2 but very likely 1. I only vaguely remember few details. Title screen had goat head impaled on spike with some building behind it (pyramid or something like that). You played as I would call it smiley man - big yellow head. One of the weapons was spray can and lighter - home made flamethrower. Thank you for help.

EDIT: Well I just found it five minutes after posting this. It's called DooM 3 Mr Smiley Head's Safari and newer version can be found here if anyone is interested. http://www.moddb.com/mods/mr-smiley-heads-safari-ii

JJShadow

The missus and I are trying to find a PC game she played when she was a kid. She only remembers it was a PC cartoon racing game from the late 90s or so, with cute characters. According to her, the title has the word "racing" on it

Super Famicom side scrolling action game. I remember it having very simple rpg elements (probably just experience). Takes place in a D&D like fantasy world. Pretty sure you could select from several characters (i.e.: archer, mage, etc), and it might have had 2 player co-op. Kinda clunky gameplay and visually bland and washed out colors. Character designs are somewhat cute...reminds me of "Monster Maker" series designs.

I remember being tricked into buying since I was told it was an rpg, but it was not. Now I want to remember what it was called for some reason.

Edit: it's Melfand Stories. Always thought it was Farland Story, but that's some SRPG.

mclem

The missus and I are trying to find a PC game she played when she was a kid. She only remembers it was a PC cartoon racing game from the late 90s or so, with cute characters. According to her, the title has the word "racing" on it

Wacky Wheels is most likely, but see also Skunny Kart and Big Red Racing - quite possibly the latter if she's right about that last recollection.

Super Famicom side scrolling action game. I remember it having very simple rpg elements (probably just experience). Takes place in a D&D like fantasy world. Pretty sure you could select from several characters (i.e.: archer, mage, etc), and it might have had 2 player co-op. Kinda clunky gameplay and visually bland and washed out colors. Character designs are somewhat cute...reminds me of "Monster Maker" series designs.

I remember being tricked into buying since I was told it was an rpg, but it was not. Now I want to remember what it was called for some reason.

Maybe it was Capcoms Kings of Dragons? I would say Capcoms Dungeons & Dragons games but im guessing you tried searching that one up.

Maybe it was Capcoms Kings of Dragons? I would say Capcoms Dungeons & Dragons games but im guessing you tried searching that one up.
It isn't that, but the characters you can select from had the same kind of traits. This was a pure side scroller without any walking in and out of the planes like King of Dragons.

Edit: remembered the name after all. Melfand Stories.

Mildudon

y best guess is it's a 90's pc game(dos). You are a worm that travels from level to level. This is illustrated by a map that shows were the worm is. The goal of the levels are to eat all the blue fruit before the time runs out. The more you eat the longer the tail gets. There are powers that help the worm, like more time, reduce tail and more. Some levels are all dark and you can only see the level if you get a lightning to show the level for a few seconds. I think there was something about the worms wife being kidnapped.

jambo

Trying to work out a game for someone. This is their description.

It is a 2D platformer of sorts where you play as a square moving through a world of square tiles (think large pixels, rather than squares per se). You often have to break the "rules" of the 2d world you're in in order to progress through levels. Often times the level is like a puzzle where you have to figure out which rule to break in order to reach the finish. Various scraps of text occasionally appear in the background. As you get further into the game, the backgrounds and art assets become more and more reminiscent of blood and meat. The sounds and music get harsher and more violent.

The game was made by a woman — I remember this explicitly — and it features various themes of violence against women (in a very abstract form) as it goes on. I realize how strange this sounds, and it is a very strange game, but also one that messes around with your preconceptions about video games and interaction and representation. I even remember reading a long review of this game somewhere, which I can also not now find, so I'm pretty sure I didn't hallucinate it.

lilty

Trying to remember the name of this game has been bugging me for a few months. It was a PC educational game that I played in elementary school, so probably around 2000-2003. The setting was a medieval period and I remember you having to collect items with the goal of climbing a tower. It's not much but that's all I can vaguely remember from then.

Trying to remember the name of this game has been bugging me for a few months. It was a PC educational game that I played in elementary school, so probably around 2000-2003. The setting was a medieval period and I remember you having to collect items with the goal of climbing a tower. It's not much but that's all I can vaguely remember from then.

Treasure Mountain?

Alright this has been eating away at me the past couple days

There was this, I'm PRETTY SURE it was a dreamcast game, but i could be wrong, and i think it was some kind of survival horror-action type game and it had multiple playable characters- One of them pretty much looked exactly like Jill Valentine with the beret and everything, and i think she carried twin tonfa things, or some other kind of dual weapon.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe

There was this, I'm PRETTY SURE it was a dreamcast game, but i could be wrong, and i think it was some kind of survival horror-action type game and it had multiple playable characters- One of them pretty much looked exactly like Jill Valentine with the beret and everything, and i think she carried twin tonfa things, or some other kind of dual weapon.

Blue Stinger?
Illbleed?
Carrier?

Dizzy-4U

Chaos Break for the PSX.

I remember playing this very simple looking pixelated game on PC years ago where you controlled a blob (or virus?) and you had to take over a grey, rocky map. The levels might have been randomly generated and I think it was local multiplayer. When your colour touched another they would blend a bit until one took over.

I've drawn what I remember it looking like if that helps:
WfXN9Q5.jpg

23qwerty

aaking for my fiancee

windows 98 educational math game. possibly set on a farm, if you got a question right there'd be a cow(?) if you got it wrong there'd be a t rex(?). hay bales were involved somehow, and maybe milk? any ideas?

w3bba

I remember playing this very simple looking pixelated game on PC years ago where you controlled a blob (or virus?) and you had to take over a grey, rocky map. The levels might have been randomly generated and I think it was local multiplayer. When your colour touched another they would blend a bit until one took over.

I've drawn what I remember it looking like if that helps:
WfXN9Q5.jpg

Liquid War(s)

Addictive stuff. There are also modern versions on mobile of it

I've got two. One I do remember but I've forgotten the name of- it was a PC fighting game with a Robotic dog or wolf.

The second one was a PC game from the 90s presumably, and all I remember I'd that it was top down, the view was sort of vertical (like Ikaruga for example) and it was a sort of point and click where you played as a guy with a brown hat, and the name was something like Berlin, then a year.

Top Bottom